Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Outsourcing

Rodion · 10 · 1773

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Victorinox Outsourcing
on: August 15, 2008, 07:06:45 PM
This may come as a shock, but "Victorinox" flashlights are actually made in the USA.  :ahhh

That aside... I've been seeing lots and lots of Swiss Army products having nothing to do with the former. Compasses, watches, widgi bars...

Now, it's not that I wouldn't readily pick anything with Victorinox on it over a competing, possibly superior product without. It's just that with all the not-really-a-knife models they have, it almost feels like Vic is... I don't know... selling out?  :pok:

From my position on local give-aways, you might understand how suspicious I am regarding big (and small) business. Am I just a jerk, or is Vic legacy in danger?
W

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Victorinox Outsourcing
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 08:51:39 PM
I don't think it's so much a problem with them licensing cheap products willy nilly, more a desire to have consistant quality.

Victorinox lights are made by Emissive Energy Corporation. the company responsable for Inova flashlights, and their compasses are made by Recta, also a leader in it's class.  The idea is, why be another bit player in a market, cranking out half assed copies and weakening your brand, when you can have your designs made properly by the folks who know what they are doing?  In many cases I agree with you, but in this case, Victorinox, as always, is doing it right.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 09:18:24 PM
I would also mention that the SwissGear line of luggage, campings suplies, etc. is made by a variety of manufacturers, and not by Wenger itself. Same goes for some of the Victorinox cutlery (made by Forschener in Germany). In general, the "Swiss Army" brand no longer reflects the place of manufacture, but, as Def said, a sign of Victorinox/Wenger quality control and warranty.

-------
Alexei

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 09:47:59 PM
I dont have a problem unless their multis and knives dont come from Switzerland . I dont think they are likely to do a Gerber though .

Dunc

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 09:54:34 PM
I dont have a problem unless their multis and knives dont come from Switzerland.
Throughout thier PR and literature (2008 Salesman Manual included), Victorinox goes to extreme lengths to make it clear, that one of the company's core values is to take care of their Swiss workforce, and keep the production in Switzerland. Let's hope they continue succeeding in this.
-------
Alexei

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 09:58:40 PM
There is that well worn phrase ''Diversify or Die'' so I think Vic and Wenger are just making sure all there egg's aren't in one basket :)

And beside the quality, even on the products they don't make, is too a very high standard :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 10:25:02 PM
I have a Vic Branded EEC Inova torch ( 2 X AA ) and its worth its weight in gold .

Dunc

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 11:03:34 PM
As long as Vic stays on top of the quality (which I know that they will) then there will be no problem.   :D

Vic isn't going to risk their name on a half baked product.  :oops:
Remember guys they been doing this for well over 100 years must be doing something right.

I know before you say anything that Schrade was 100 and Camillus was up there too. But Schrade went out because of poor management I don't know the scoop about Camullis.  :ahhh

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 05:43:48 AM
I have no problem with the Vic lights. In fact, Inova is one of my favorite flashlight brands!  :)
B

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 11:07:05 PM
This may come as a shock, but "Victorinox" flashlights are actually made in the USA.  (Image removed from quote.) :ahhh

That aside... I've been seeing lots and lots of Swiss Army products having nothing to do with the former. Compasses, watches, widgi bars...

You can bet that Vic and Wenger are both very cautious about putting their brandnames on any products they don't acutally make.

Those brandnames invoke a longstanding reputation of quality and are hugely valuable assets to both companies.

Regarding flashlights:  Inova is a manufacturer with a very good reputation for making quality lights.

I'd bet that Vic and Wenger take similar care in selecting manufacturers for rucksacks, luggage, compasses, etc.

N

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD