Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tell me how your Victorinox 3 layer is better than my Wenger Swiss Sportsman

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Yeah I threw out the red cape and expect to get the bull by the horns.  Own and love my Yeoman and Companion (with G10 scales). Here is my logic. 1. locking blade, stops at 60 degrees to prevent injury. 2. 2D phillips which works fine for small things around the house. 3. Scissors that will never need a spring replacement.  4.  Can Opener that works fantastic for Amazon boxes. 5. Pressure locking bottle opener mini light duty prybar. 6. Corkscrew fits Victorinox mini tools. 7.  Awl, well Vic wins that one (I concede).  8. Toothpick & Tweezers. What’s missing? Ink pen, have those lying all around the house. Below are some pics. One I switched tactile soft touch scales and blacked out  accessories. Other brass, clip point minus locking ability.  Last pic is medium grit microdont for a nail file. Anyway, want somebody(s) to prove to me there is better 3 layer combo for around the house. Bonus points if you can find it cheaper. These knives run 15-30 dollars on eBay.

* IMG_4131.jpg (Filesize: 374.99 KB)

* IMG_4132.jpg (Filesize: 359.64 KB)

* IMG_4133.jpg (Filesize: 135.44 KB)
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
   I was sad when Wenger went away.  I wasn't so crazy about the soft touch finish.  I like the mods.  Brass looks great and I actually prefer a clip point main blade.  Best wishes.  G

us Offline stuntzombie

I actually had three of those Swiss Sportsman's at one time. Part of me regrets letting them go because they carried so much better than a 3 layer model in 91mm. The Wenger models actually felt more solid to me compared to Victorinox. I do think the Vic scissors have superior cutting ability, though I like that the Wenger version has an integral spring.
I really don't know why I parted with them. I guess I didn't feel like I was carrying them enough to justify keeping them around.

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
  I remember you had some LL Bean knives for sale a while back.  Was that the Sportsman?  I thought about buying the Vic Champion that you had refurbished.  Don't remember why I didn't?  Best wishes.  G
 :think:

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
  I remember you had some LL Bean knives for sale a while back.  Was that the Sportsman?  I thought about buying the Vic Champion that you had refurbished.  Don't remember why I didn't?  Best wishes.  G
 :think:

May have been someone else selling them. I gave one away on the forum in the past.  :think: LL Bean must have requested a million of these from Wenger because I see them on eBay all the time. Really believe this is the most underrated model by either company.
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
I actually had three of those Swiss Sportsman's at one time. Part of me regrets letting them go because they carried so much better than a 3 layer model in 91mm. The Wenger models actually felt more solid to me compared to Victorinox. I do think the Vic scissors have superior cutting ability, though I like that the Wenger version has an integral spring.
I really don't know why I parted with them. I guess I didn't feel like I was carrying them enough to justify keeping them around.

Agree on scissors, cutting ability is better and springs are not that hard to replace.

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Sorry about that.  I should have said, "Stuntzombie, didn't you have some LL Bean , etc."  Didn't mean to be more confusing than usual.  I always liked the 84/85mm platform.  I'll go sit in the corner and put my paper cone hat back on.   Best wishes.  G
 :ahhh

us Offline Enginears

Closest I have is an S14  which is like the Wenger traveler with the 60 degree stop and locking blade, and vic can opener/awl. Its weird how its close to the holy grail but I almost never carry it. You have done some cool mods here though, good work.  The file in the corkscrew area is a good move, I have modded a 58mm file to fit there on one of my most carried mods.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%