Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Alox color durability?

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: Alox color durability?
Reply #30 on: October 03, 2015, 02:51:25 AM
We should start a thread to show off your Alox patinas.

It is why I for one keep checking back here.
So are you gonna do it or what?  I took a couple pics for the potential thread ok:

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Yes and...

Lazy git.

:pok: :P :D
K-Tibbs

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: October 10, 2018, 09:05:30 AM
sorry to bump this thread up,
I didn't think it could happen with Alox, but apparently sun does fade alox colors to :

==> comparison with what I think is the original color
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #32 on: October 10, 2018, 09:46:55 AM
The Swiss military originally had red alox knives (1961-65), but switched to silver alox because of durability issues.

I have a couple silver alox in my edc, pocket carried with keys and all. They wear just as bad as colored alox, but you´ll have to look hard to notice. I tried making photos several times but didn´t succeed in capturing the wear, it´s visible only when you move the knife under certain ligthing.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:48:41 AM by Ron Who »

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #33 on: October 10, 2018, 01:56:02 PM
They're all type II anodized, so they wear about the same as a Mag Lite, which wears the same finish.
- Terry

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: October 10, 2018, 02:10:58 PM
They're all type II anodized, so they wear about the same as a Mag Lite, which wears the same finish.

That’s a nice tidbit of information, thanks!  :tu:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #35 on: October 15, 2018, 11:14:35 AM
Isn’t that what most cheap ($20 range) flashlights have?  :think:
At least, I think my Thrunite and Manker have that, and they’re in that price range.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #36 on: October 15, 2018, 01:20:01 PM
Yes.  If they don't specifically state that they are "type III" or "hard anodized (HA)", they are typically type II.  The vast majority of flashlights available are type II.  The best type III finishes are found on higher-end manufacturer's products such as Surefire, HDS, Malkoff, Peak, etc.  The "natural" grayish type III finish is usually the most durable.

I have a custom type III Farmer, and the finish is much more durable than the Victorinox type II finish.  I've carried it a lot over the past 10 years, and the only marks on it are some small dings on the ends from dropping it off a ladder onto a concrete floor (folded).

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 01:30:42 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: October 15, 2018, 03:26:28 PM
Yes.  If they don't specifically state that they are "type III" or "hard anodized (HA)", they are typically type II.  The vast majority of flashlights available are type II.  The best type III finishes are found on higher-end manufacturer's products such as Surefire, HDS, Malkoff, Peak, etc.  The "natural" grayish type III finish is usually the most durable.

I have a custom type III Farmer, and the finish is much more durable than the Victorinox type II finish.  I've carried it a lot over the past 10 years, and the only marks on it are some small dings on the ends from dropping it off a ladder onto a concrete floor (folded).

(Image removed from quote.)
I like that grey!  :tu:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: October 15, 2018, 04:19:46 PM

(Image removed from quote.)
I like that grey!  :tu:
:iagree:
Even more, knowing that it is as durable as heck.  :D :drool:

All hail the hook!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #39 on: October 16, 2018, 12:46:27 AM
These are the only marks on that HA Farmer.  I've not been kind to it over the years, but you really wouldn't know from looking at it.

- Terry

00 Offline supershaji

Reply #40 on: July 19, 2020, 05:47:39 AM
Thanks for this thread guys, I found my way here looking information of whether alox scales can just fade sitting there without any use and wear?

Although it isn't easy to believe, I would rather give a particular seller the benefit of the doubt and seek to learn what I know not from other who may know better.

Here is the product in question, which is claimed to have never been used. It is also claimed that this has always been in the box, but may have happened during shipping.

The seller is a reliable chap, but I cannot say whether his staff may have used this and put it back innthe box after a while without his knowledge.

But the question to which I seek an answer to is whether such alox scales can fade sitting in the box, at most may have rattled in the box during transport, as per the claim.

Additionally, if i am to buy it in the condition as it is, what in your opinion can I offer?

It is a 2015 make.

Thanks!

20200629_143519.jpg
* 20200629_143519.jpg (Filesize: 36.43 KB)
20200629_143533.jpg
* 20200629_143533.jpg (Filesize: 33.06 KB)

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #41 on: July 19, 2020, 12:33:25 PM
Thanks for this thread guys, I found my way here looking information of whether alox scales can just fade sitting there without any use and wear?

Although it isn't easy to believe, I would rather give a particular seller the benefit of the doubt and seek to learn what I know not from other who may know better.

Here is the product in question, which is claimed to have never been used. It is also claimed that this has always been in the box, but may have happened during shipping.

The seller is a reliable chap, but I cannot say whether his staff may have used this and put it back innthe box after a while without his knowledge.

But the question to which I seek an answer to is whether such alox scales can fade sitting in the box, at most may have rattled in the box during transport, as per the claim.

Additionally, if i am to buy it in the condition as it is, what in your opinion can I offer?

It is a 2015 make.

Thanks!
Sun fading, movement in the box... I really don't think so. The ridges and edges are worn not the valleys. That looks like usage to me. Are there any pictures of the tools open?

As to value, I have no idea. Check out sold prices on the Bay.
Rambler

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: July 19, 2020, 12:35:35 PM
Definitely looks like a knife that has been carried in a pocket. :D
Worn alox is nice alox, IMHO. But the seller should be honest. :rant:

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: July 19, 2020, 03:21:53 PM
Id also agree that the knife has been carried.  Box wear does happen but I have a hard time believing this is that.  I have no clue as to value on this knife.  I'd also look to the Bay for used SAKs to see value. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline supershaji

Reply #44 on: July 19, 2020, 06:06:00 PM
Thanks a ton for your replies with comments and observations.

Anyway, I intend to tell the known seller to keep an eye on his staff, who may be misusing the inventory.

Anyway, he's asking for $35 for it, what would you do, buy it at the price?

He hasn't got a picture of the tools open but says its fine, else can send to victorinox for repair of tools if y oi u guys confirm that the price is fair.

Yes, and I did go to ebay to check, hut only new ones seem to be on sale and all priced around $68 or so.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 06:35:19 PM by supershaji »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: July 26, 2020, 04:13:34 PM
Value is a very hard thing for me.  I tend to look at the bay of fleas to get a average on similar condition items.  What I can say is when I spot something at the fleamarket ( my usual place of purchase ) and the seller gives me a price I know immediately if I am comfortable with it. 

So, how do you feel with the price?  You can see the wear on the knife and seller says blades are in good order so  :dunno:.  Is the desire for this item strong?  I've paid up in moments when I've really wanted something even when the condition of that item was less that I was hoping for.  Only once or so have I gotten home and been  :facepalm:.  Most times its only cosmetic issues so function and sheer joy of using the tool outweighed price paid.  I like the look of worn Alox and when the price is right ( relative ) I always snap up Alox.   

Sorry if that didn't help. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Ike582

Reply #46 on: July 26, 2020, 05:45:19 PM
Value is a very hard thing for me.  I tend to look at the bay of fleas to get a average on similar condition items. 

The "the bay of fleas", somehow that's so perfect.
Ike

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD