Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Question on Charge's liner lock

Offline plowboy

Question on Charge's liner lock
on: January 17, 2007, 12:48:39 AM
I got my first Leatherman today.  It is a Charge AL.  I really like the design of the tool and its size.  It seems like it will be easy to carry (not too big).  I do have a question, however.  When I open the primary cutting blade the liner lock moves completely to the far side (up against the scale).  The other three liner locks don't do that (SE blade, saw, file).  They engage the blade tang near the lock side of the tang...as I would expect on a new liner lock blade.  It is clear that the blade tangs (as well as the file and saw) have either a ramped tang or a radiused tang.  It seems that there will be no room for liner wear on the primary blade.  Also, given the cut-out in the handle scale, will the liner lock actually move outside of the scale if the liner wears any (given that it is right up against the scale now)?

Does the liner lock do this on your Charge?

Thanks,
 :)

us Offline CacherX4

Re: Question on Charge's liner lock
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 02:19:18 AM
I got my first Leatherman today.  It is a Charge AL.  I really like the design of the tool and its size.  It seems like it will be easy to carry (not too big).  I do have a question, however.  When I open the primary cutting blade the liner lock moves completely to the far side (up against the scale).  The other three liner locks don't do that (SE blade, saw, file).  They engage the blade tang near the lock side of the tang...as I would expect on a new liner lock blade.  It is clear that the blade tangs (as well as the file and saw) have either a ramped tang or a radiused tang.  It seems that there will be no room for liner wear on the primary blade.  Also, given the cut-out in the handle scale, will the liner lock actually move outside of the scale if the liner wears any (given that it is right up against the scale now)?

Does the liner lock do this on your Charge?

Thanks,

I just checked mine and all the liner locks with exception for the saw hit the scale.  If I push them (liner locks) back, then release, they all seem to settle in correctly though.  This is a great observation as I haven't noticed this before.  I'll be interested in others comments.

Jim

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 02:50:40 AM
On my Ti, three out of four liner locks stop against the scale. The fourth one almost touches.....but not quite. All four blades lock open solid as a rock. On my XTi, all four liner locks touch the scale. Again, all four blades lock solid.   

I can't answer how wear and tear will affect the lock tightness; mine haven't had much use. However, I am certain the liner locks will not move outside the scale, as the ends are bigger than the cut-out.

~Bob

* liner lock.jpg (Filesize: 54.86 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline plowboy

Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 11:01:38 PM
Thanks guys!  It seems this is common.  Generally a ramped or radiused tang is designed to have the liner move over to the lock side of the tang leaving considerable room for wear.  The radiused tang also helps extend the life of the lock as it will wear with use.  Maybe the liner lock is designed to be more of a liner block as is the case with the 111mm Vics.  But if this is the case, I don't know why Leatherman would go to the effort to grind the ramp onto the tang ??????

My looks just like yours Bob.

Thanks for your comments.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 12:43:13 AM
It's probably designed to work both ways, and allow for looser standards (and lower cost) in manufacture.  They obviously aren't designed to work that way, but are designed with that in mind.  Otherwise there would be more standardization.

That would be my guess.  Maybe someone with more manufacturing experience than I do could offer their thoughts on it?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline bobofish

Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 08:18:55 AM
All four ramps on my locking blades are cut differently, and all four locks engage in different places; some against the scale, some in the middle.
Frankly I've been thinking that Leatherman's QC is getting a little shoddy, because like you say, they should either lock against the scale or in the middle out of the box, not somewhere over the rainbow. I've had some other QC type problems with my XTi as well actually.

Offline anbqanbq

Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 11:27:27 PM
I noticed this problem at the first day I revceived my Ti. Fortunately, I only have one liner lock doesn't stop on  the ramp (serrated knife). I used screw driver to tighten it (took me several to find the right bit to work on the screw), it works but the serrated knife is too hard to open. so I had to loosen it again. Frustrated! Then I checked a tool store around my home and found almost all Charges and waves have the same trouble. I don't think LM have a good Quality Control over tolerance and others. I even found that a Wave has a bent scissors, how LM does the quality check? I personally don't think they check each tool at all. If they do, you will find a slight scratch on the pivot. when you open the tool only once, you will leave some hint on the pivot, no doubt. If Leatherman let Swissarmy to make their tools they won't have this trouble!!! If I buy a tool or knife form Swissarmy, I don't need to check it since the quality is so consistent!

BTW, they should include the jewllwery driver into the bigger screw driver for Charge Ti, XTi is so stupid to have two drivers! I am usually so picky on the tool I bought.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%