Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOL Survival Blanket test

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
SOL Survival Blanket test
on: October 18, 2015, 06:16:34 AM
I have two of the SOL Survival Blankets. One in a kit in our car, and a second in another kit I'm building. I have been anxious to get a chance to do at least minimal testing on them, and had the chance this evening.

I've tried out a standard 'space blanket' before, and was horrified how fragile they are. I tore one up trying to spread it out. And they are LOUD. I've heard them described like being in a poptart wrapper, and I think that's pretty accurate. And finally, once unwrapped, getting them back into anything like a folded form is essentially impossible.

So, I wanted to replace the standard mylar blankets with something better. But are the SOL Survival Blankets WORTH it? Are they that much better?

Well...

I tested them on my patio, both sitting on a chair and lying flat on the deck. Temperature at the end of the test was 41F  (5C). I was wearing jeans, tennis shoes, and a polo shirt. I was drastically underdressed for the weather, and relying solely on the emergency blanket for warmth.

I went out for half hour increments 3 times. First time I sat in the chair. Second time I laid down, and third time I sat in the chair with a seat pad. After every test, I folded the blanket back up, and stuck it back in the bag it came in.

So, how did it do?
First test, it became evident that the blanket was great at the convection and radiation parts of heat management, and worthless at conduction. Meaning, as long as you're not right up against something cold, it works great. The chair was cold.

Second test, I tried lying in the sheet on my deck. It was essentially worthless, as the 'ground' was sucking all the heat out of me even while the rest of me was warm. I added a wool blanket between myself and the sheet. Better. Then the wool blanket under the blanket. Better. Then I tried used padded bubble-wrap mailing envelopes under the heat sheet with no blanket. I'd call it a marginal success. Better by far than nothing.

Third test, I used a foam kneeling pad as a seat cushion and sat in the chair again. That was mostly fine, although I was still loosing heat where my back touched the seat back.

I was just starting to get a bit of feeling like a buildup of condensation from being wrapped in it when lying down. I will have to do a much longer test to check this out. I've known that this product doesn't 'breath' for a good long while. So no surprise.

It's clear that unless i'm using this in the car that it simply isn't going to work without some kind of ground insulation. I expected as much.

Outside of that, this thing is pretty awesome. It held up to some use with no damage, and drastically increased my ability to handle low temperatures. While it's 3 or 4 times the cost of a plain space blanket, that's still under $10. and as it can ACTUALLY be reused, unlike my experience with the regular variety, I think it's actually comparable in price when multiple uses are desired.

The blanket also has some useful survival info printed on it, which i thought was cool.

It is also NOT loud like regular space blankets. I don't think it's any louder than any thin sheet plastic rustling would be. This would make sleeping while wrapped in it a much better prospect.

The one I got was listed for 2 people and all I have to say about that is...  :rofl: Ah... no. Not two 'fat American' people, anyway.

I understand that my testing was minimal, and under essentially optimal conditions, not in the rain, not with heavy wind, etc., but i think this is a promising start.

Not a perfect product, but a really GOOD one, considering weight and cost.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: SOL Survival Blanket test
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 06:42:11 AM
Lynn, I'm so glad you are back posting  :tu:

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline David

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 07:18:18 AM
Good test Lynn! Thanks for posting you findings.     :tu:     :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 07:28:28 AM
Here's a pretty good link discussing proper way to use mylar blanket and other uses. 
Mylar doesn't breath so those who run hot can run the risk of sweating and still getting hypothermia.  Mylar intention is slowing heat loss ( as the article explains ) not warming you up.  I'd use mine as a heat reflector rather than a "blanket' however conduction still poses a problem.

http://www.happypreppers.com/mylar.html
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 04:09:01 PM
Mylar shreds something fierce. I can recall having students come up with their own survival shelter after teaching the outdoor education class one year. One team decided to use these blankets to make a shelter...and all went well until a wind came around and ripped them to shreds from their tie off points. mylar blankets do have their uses, and a big bonus is they are light and portable..so carry a few with you instead of the one...but they certainly are fragile.

I have a SOL emergency bivy as pictured in that link that Aloha007 in my jeep along with a SOL survival kit and a first aid kit nestled in the door storage compartment as insurance. I also keep a wool blanket on hand to shelter the bivy from the cold ground for just in case moments that nobody hopes to never need.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 10:17:28 PM
I often think about how useful are these space blankets, when I really need to use them.  And after some quick testing and trying a few, I do too think that the SOL space blanket is better made than most.  But eventually, I replace the SOL space blanket with a few heavy duty 55 gal drum liners, and here are the reasons:

1) I feel the space blanket is more an auxiliary item, than an actual shelter/shelter building material.  And it is not as  easy to 'wear', and can't create a 'super shelter'(since drum liner is transparent, fire radiation can penetrate the trash bag, for more, search for Cody Lundin 'super shelter')

2) Drum liner can help boil water, by dipping hot rocks in water.  Not to mention catching rain water or trapping water from plant(which I think is just a so-so idea, but worth a try for last ditch effort).

3) Both will trap moisture, but drum liner is less noisy and more durable.

Space blankets are shiny(potential signal) and lighter weight, but otherwise, I do prefer drum liner for the multiple use.  However, on that thought, I do also carry an 'All weather space blanket', but it is practically a real reflective blanket, and it's entirely a different animal.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 11:12:03 AM
Thanks for this Lynn......

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. If you don't take it out and use it, it'll rust

I have 2 sealed space blankets, and even after a recent tread about how they perish, mine are still untested.

I did however spend what felt like too much on some heavy duty metalized garbage bags. Mostly for their size and obvious durability, but I figured the "metalized" part couldn't hurt....

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 04:24:02 PM
What's the mil thickness of those bags? I didn't know they even made such a thing.

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 09:30:50 AM
Hi Lynn

Surprising, I thought a quick google search would find it, but no luck!

I can't remember the exact details and I threw away the packaging, but if I recall correctly they were about double the thickness of a standard heavy duty black bag.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 02:33:30 AM
What's the mil thickness of those bags? I didn't know they even made such a thing.

Hey, Lynn.  I used the 1.1mil 55-60 gal drum liner.  You probably could go to 2mil, but the weight and durability of mine seems to be working fine at 1.1mil.  It felt 2 times thicker than regular daily use black trash bag.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 02:37:13 AM
I have 4 mil 55 gal bags in my car kit.

The thing is... they don't do anything about reflectivity like the Aluminized stuff does. I don't see these two items as comparable, until the trash bag gets aluminized.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 08:37:43 AM
I have 4 mil 55 gal bags in my car kit.

The thing is... they don't do anything about reflectivity like the Aluminized stuff does. I don't see these two items as comparable, until the trash bag gets aluminized.

That is true, and they sure are not apple to apple comparison. 

The reason I mention trash bag probably because I just think of anything that would keep my temperature stable/well being as part of 'shelter', which includes the clothing I wear or anything I can use to build something.  And when compares the pros and cons of these two items, I would prefer the trash bag but YMMV. :)

On the thought of 'aluminized trash bag' :D, I have seen vest that is made of mylar sheets, but not too sure how durable they can be.

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 11:01:39 AM
I mentioned the trash bags because the ones I got will for sure work better than a standard trash bag, and in my climate it should be more than sufficient.

I recently picked up a UST tube tent simply because it was so cheap, and I'm pretty sure 2 of these bags would do a better and more durable job.

Only seen them for sale at one shop I don't regularly get to, but I'll try to post some pics to give you an idea.

anything that would keep my temperature stable/well being as part of 'shelter', which includes the clothing I wear
Bingo. My first move would be to cut arm and head holes and put it on, maybe even 2 over and under clothing.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 05:10:21 PM
No need to pick between the mylar and cheap plastic drop cloth.  The super shelter relies on both from my understanding of Dave's video.  An A frame structure with the mylar at your back with a long fire in front of the plastic.  It will get humid in there but you will be warm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv1Px1JTQZ0

Based off the super shelter of Mors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGSC8iYhC7k
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 05:35:28 PM
Nice video on super shelters.

However... I think maybe I should reiterate that this is for a car kit. The intent being if one is stuck in a blizzard. I've seen videos on how to build various shelters with mylar blankets, tarps, etc. I get the idea of it, but the primary use I imagine for this blanket is either in-car use OR used in an emergency on the side of the road (maybe keeping rain off someone injured on the side of the road, or helping to prevent shock).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 05:41:37 PM
Ahhh, I see and yes, car kit.  I have a couple movers blankets in my truck along with several mylar blankets.  I think the mylar is a good product knowing it's best usages and limitation, like anything right?.  Having some plastic drop cloth or similar is still not a bad idea in terms of covering/sheltering you or someone on the road side.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 06:35:22 PM
A good 5x7 trap is nice to have in a vehicle. Not only just for emergencies, also nice to throw on the ground if you have to work on the vehicle. Makes it a lot easier to find a nut or bolt if one get dropped too.

That's us mobile.
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 03:05:39 AM
Nice video on super shelters.

However... I think maybe I should reiterate that this is for a car kit. The intent being if one is stuck in a blizzard. I've seen videos on how to build various shelters with mylar blankets, tarps, etc. I get the idea of it, but the primary use I imagine for this blanket is either in-car use OR used in an emergency on the side of the road (maybe keeping rain off someone injured on the side of the road, or helping to prevent shock).

I must have missed that it was for car kit, and as Aloha puts it, it doesn't have to be one way or another, especially if weight is not an issue.

The confined space inside a car will be a perfect setting to use a space blanket, which kind of simulate what it's original intent and purpose.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 03:22:26 AM
I DO appreciate discussion on uses of the survival blankets outside of MY intended use. Just because i INTEND to use a piece of gear a certain way doesn't mean I'll never encounter a need to push it into other duties.

There seems to be a belief among some survival folks that being able to improvise is a great skill, but the truth is, knowing more methods upfront seems the better way. If you don't have to think out a solution to a problem, you're saving effort. THEN couple that with the ability to improvise.

Anyway, just wanted to make sure I wasn't stifling discussion. Carry on! :D

no Offline Grathr

Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 03:01:48 PM
I just remembered that I have one of theese laying around. I havent tested it though. Probably should.

I did spend a night out with only a exped mat, a small tarp and one of theese (fjellduken) last fall.

It has reflective lining on the innside. The tempereature was about 2-3 degrees Celcius.  It was smurfing cold. I had to get up in the night and jump around to get some heat.  Still it was way better than nothing. But I suspect a spaceblanket is far from as good as a fjellduken.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 03:42:21 PM
I am sorry to say this...but that looks like a packet of ramen noodles...just add hot water and voila.  :rofl:

That Jervan Bag looks good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSwi3lezXCw

no Offline Grathr

Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 04:37:25 PM

I am sorry to say this...but that looks like a packet of ramen noodles...just add hot water and voila.  :rofl:

That Jervan Bag looks good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSwi3lezXCw

Thats the insulated one in the video. We call it just the Jervenduken. Fjellduken is just the thin outer shell.
We used jervenduken as an outer layer, on the outside of our sleepingbags during the winter in the Army. It worked very vell even at very low temperatures. The coldest temperetaure we slept out in small 4 man tents with those was -28 degrees celcius.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: October 22, 2015, 05:49:08 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Never seen or heard of these before.  :salute:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #23 on: October 23, 2015, 03:58:00 AM
Late to the game, as always. Curse my... life?

I assume you're using Heatsheets? They seriously out perform the old mylar baked potato sheets, and they have a better shelf life. I've use them before and after the first time with one I replaced all my mylars.

This isn't my test, but I've done shorter term shelter builds and I'd agree with this assessment. http://www.wildsurvive.com/outdoor-camping-forum/index.php/topic,2998.0.html?PHPSESSID=13db8820f969975be8e4730561d5ce57
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #24 on: October 23, 2015, 05:37:30 AM
Yep, heatsheets. And yes, it seems in all ways better than the 'baked potato sheets'.

I rolled around o my porch a bit in mine. I mean, it's not as much a test as twigs and rocks, but it seemed to handle a little abuse just fine. The older style sheets tear if you look at them wrong.

EDIT: WOW! I just finished reading that thread that was linked in the post above this one. Thanks, ironraven. That is an IMPRESSIVE test of this, and makes me feel a good deal better, and have a better idea what this thing will withstand.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 05:54:26 AM by Lynn LeFey »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD