Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG makes backpack?

jzmtl · 38 · 4717

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
SOG makes backpack?
on: September 24, 2015, 03:37:27 AM
This is a first for me, and it's named "Ninja" too.  :D But in all fairness it looks quite decent and sturdy. I didn't get it on photo, but the velcro loop patch on front has a heat melted skull on it, that was too much for me.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 03:38:55 AM by jzmtl »

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Re: SOG makes backpack?
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 07:09:11 AM
If I take out the SOG tag, halfen the price... it sorta reminds me of some stuff  :whistle:
http://www.SPAMCORP.com/6-Color-3D-Outdoor-Military-Tactical-Backpack-Camping-Hiking-Bag-p-82453.html
http://www.SPAMCORP.com/Outdoor-Military-Tactical-Rucksack-Camping-Hiking-Trekking-Backpack-p-87544.html
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 02:09:15 PM
Looks like the SOG is made well.

That's us mobile.
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 05:18:41 PM
They also have them in black and camo at my local walmart.

I'm glad people have interest in nicer products for use but SOG please don't follow Gerbers buisness plan.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 05:31:22 PM
I saw those last week and had a very hard time leaving it on the shelf.

I may break down soon and get it...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 03:33:08 AM
Does it have compound leverage?

:D
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 10:24:31 AM
A photo of the tactical skull, not a fan of this part.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 12:25:53 PM
That's the part I really like. But I'm weird like that.

That's us mobile.
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 12:30:54 PM
Skulls appeal to the mall ninjas so I imagine that makes it sell faster than anything else.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 07:14:07 PM
At least the skull is on the Velcro and can be cover by a patch. Looks lik a nice bag. I just dropped the coin on a 5.11 Rush 12 and this looks somewhat similar. Might have to check them out for a backup.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 07:01:34 AM
So my inner mall ninja has spoken, and I bought one. I decided against black and digi camo because of all my other packs are black and digi camo is just too much.

It's actually a very nice backpack, holds more stuff than my single strap shoulder bag and less bulky than the Wenger laptop backpack. Upon showing it to my girlfriend she said I should paint the eyes of the skull red, and I did. Geez now I'm really a mall ninja.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 07:08:16 AM
Upon showing it to my girlfriend she said I should paint the eyes of the skull red, and I did. Geez now I'm really a mall ninja.

And stick in glow-in-the-dark teeth... and wear a camo bandana...  :D
You MUST have a paracord bracelet - preferably with a whistle and firestarter.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 08:58:46 PM
I saw one in person too. Looked like decent quality but I didn't like the big skull on the patch on the back.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 10:08:32 PM
At least the skull is on a loop field so you can slap a patch of your choice over it. Like a nice bacon cheeseburger.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 06:00:09 AM
These were at Walmart right? I went to my local Walmart and could not find them. I was not going to buy one but wanted to check one out.
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 12:04:57 AM
These were at Walmart right? I went to my local Walmart and could not find them. I was not going to buy one but wanted to check one out.

Yep walmart, a lot cheaper at US walmart too. It's on their site so you can probably check store stock. http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=sog%20ninja

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: October 04, 2015, 03:37:28 AM

Yep walmart, a lot cheaper at US walmart too. It's on their site so you can probably check store stock. http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=sog%20ninja

Thanks for the link. They are out of stock in every Walmart around here.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 03:43:18 AM
Well, I like it, especially the skull :tu:
SAW

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 04, 2015, 04:22:37 PM
This looks like the same pack I picked up at Wal-Mart two years ago, but mine is labelled as Fieldline Tactical and was about $10 cheaper. The hook-n-loop field on the front pocket is in a different place and the "skull field on mine is replaced with a name-tape field, however, everything else looks pretty close at least on the exterior. I suspect SOG just got paid to attached their name to a Wal-Mart made product. I will say that it is a very good pack. I've used mine for going into my third hunting season now and it has held up great. :tu:

Quick run-down on it. It's comfortable. Nice, compact size, but with a lot of storage. If it is the same on the inside, it has a ton of little compartments which are awesome for keeping your gear organized. The largest pocket has a few small zip pockets that I keep a knit hat in one, a pair of gloves in another, an extra blaze vest. Also, the lower-front pocket has several subdivisions that are perfect for a first-aid kit, sharpener, folding knife, folding saw (compact), roll of electrical tape, batteries, pens and pencils. I usually put my box of ammo in the side pocket, it's large enough that even a box of 3" 12gauge shot shells fits. The small-upper front pocket carries my GPS when I don't need it on my hip. It has a really small pocket right by the carry handle on top and I just keep a boonie-hat rolled up in it. It has an H2O sleeve with some very nice hose ports on either side of top.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #19 on: October 04, 2015, 04:32:39 PM
This looks like the same pack I picked up at Wal-Mart two years ago, but mine is labelled as Fieldline Tactical and was about $10 cheaper. The hook-n-loop field on the front pocket is in a different place and the "skull field on mine is replaced with a name-tape field, however, everything else looks pretty close at least on the exterior. I suspect SOG just got paid to attached their name to a Wal-Mart made product. I will say that it is a very good pack. I've used mine for going into my third hunting season now and it has held up great. :tu:

Quick run-down on it. It's comfortable. Nice, compact size, but with a lot of storage. If it is the same on the inside, it has a ton of little compartments which are awesome for keeping your gear organized. The largest pocket has a few small zip pockets that I keep a knit hat in one, a pair of gloves in another, an extra blaze vest. Also, the lower-front pocket has several subdivisions that are perfect for a first-aid kit, sharpener, folding knife, folding saw (compact), roll of electrical tape, batteries, pens and pencils. I usually put my box of ammo in the side pocket, it's large enough that even a box of 3" 12gauge shot shells fits. The small-upper front pocket carries my GPS when I don't need it on my hip. It has a really small pocket right by the carry handle on top and I just keep a boonie-hat rolled up in it. It has an H2O sleeve with some very nice hose ports on either side of top.
Sounds terrific :D
SAW

us Offline BASguy

Reply #20 on: October 25, 2015, 03:08:22 PM
My daughter is active duty USAF and has several packs, and other field gear, that are SOG branded (without the skulls obviously).  The packs look to be extremely durable.

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #21 on: June 10, 2016, 09:08:43 AM
Some update, I've been using this pack for some urban and mountain trips in the past few weeks. The pack is well designed and pretty sturdy, but the tan color gets dirty really easy. Size is on the small side even for day trips, if you have MOLLE compatible add-ons it may help.

The only complaint is buckle for shoulder strap length adjustment slips a bit when climbing, so the straps gets a bit longer as you move (up to a point).

Still have several trips in the next month, will see how it goes.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: June 10, 2016, 03:55:46 PM
Thanks for bringing this one back up Jie- as if I wasn't already kicking myself for getting one when I had the chance!   :twak:

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: June 10, 2016, 04:45:23 PM
I saw the SOG backpacks a while back and they looked great to me :cheers: Glad to hear it is holding up for you jzmtl :tu:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: June 10, 2016, 05:24:37 PM
Has anybody gotten any of SOGs new packs. Like the mission grade packs, or whatever they are calling them

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #25 on: June 10, 2016, 10:54:29 PM

Yes, the straps make the backpack feel twice as heavy as those of the competitors.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 10:55:36 PM by powernoodle »
:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #26 on: July 19, 2016, 01:39:35 PM
Well I've finished trips with it, in short I'm very happy with the pack. It doesn't have a lot of pockets but that also maximize internal space. It also held up fine to some heavy downpour and kept my camera and stuff dry inside. The shoulder straps are quite wide, but it also make carrying heavier load like 4 liters of water easy on my shoulder.

The bottle pouch doesn't have any drain holes, that was kinda strange consider even the main compartment has them.

If any new SOG pack are as well designed and made as this I would not hesitant on getting one.

Now I'm off to find some MOLLE compatible pouches to take advantage of all that webbing.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 01:44:27 PM by jzmtl »

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #27 on: July 19, 2016, 02:08:18 PM
Well I've finished trips with it, in short I'm very happy with the pack. It doesn't have a lot of pockets but that also maximize internal space. It also held up fine to some heavy downpour and kept my camera and stuff dry inside. The shoulder straps are quite wide, but it also make carrying heavier load like 4 liters of water easy on my shoulder.

The bottle pouch doesn't have any drain holes, that was kinda strange consider even the main compartment has them.

If any new SOG pack are as well designed and made as this I would not hesitant on getting one.

Now I'm off to find some MOLLE compatible pouches to take advantage of all that webbing.

Sounds like it may be worth the $40 price tag after all  :tu:

What kind of attachments are you looking to get?

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #28 on: July 19, 2016, 02:28:00 PM

Sounds like it may be worth the $40 price tag after all  :tu:

What kind of attachments are you looking to get?

First thing would be a relatively large pouch to take advantage of the space opposite of the bottle holder, as it is that space is wasted. After that I haven't really thought about it, will probably add here and there as needed.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: July 19, 2016, 03:20:01 PM

Yes, the straps make the backpack feel twice as heavy as those of the competitors.

:facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD