Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

$2 Challenge- Contender #9

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
$2 Challenge- Contender #9
on: September 24, 2015, 03:54:59 PM
Contender #9, aka the card tool arrived while I was away, and with all the catching up I had to do I haven't gotten around to doing a bit of a write up about it.

The first thing you notice about it is that it is not the size of a standard card, as you can see from this comparison with my trusty Canadian Tire card.

This may not be a big deal on the surface, but it could make things a bit uncomfortable in your wallet if that's where you kept this- which I assume is why it is supposed to be card shaped. 

Another potential hazard that I think is obvious is the number of sharp, unprotected edges on this tool- the saw, the blade and the can opener all form the potential for making more of a mess of your wallet than actually serving any real function.  I tried using the "blade" to cut some nylon straps off a new shelving unit and ended up having to go find something else to do the job.  It if can't cut nylon I suppose my hands are safe, but I still think it will make a mess of a leather wallet.

The saw is approximately an inch long and as such doesn't seem like something I would ever want to have to depend on- if it's a survival situation I imagine that would be the end of me.

The feature list is a bit incomprehensible to me, so if anyone here can translate it would be appreciated.

This tool cost a whole dollar, and is the cheapest tool of the entire $2 Challenge.  Even so, I just don't see this one as being worthwhile.  If you try to use the wrenches you will be putting your fingers on one of the sharp bits which seems like a bad idea.  I can't really bring myself to like this one, and I think others should probably also stay away from it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: $2 Challenge- Contender #9
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
I have several of them (gave some as stocking fillers a few years ago), in both available sizes, and are best left on a table or in the kitchen for opening bottles and envelopes. For the price they are not bad.

I assume yours came with a sheath too? - all mine have a black plastic sheath.

You need to sharpen them to actually cut anything
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 04:54:07 PM
If the little vinyl slip cover shown in the first pic is what you are considering a sheath, then yes, it came with one.  Frankly I wouldn't expect that cover to stand up to the unsharpened blade let alone one with an edge on it.  This thing should be sold with a package of bandages and a tetanus shot.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 05:08:52 PM
ah, but you are a multitool connoisseur; you have better tools and knowledge.

The people I gave these as presents, non-multitool people, were very impressed and excited about them. This will probably be the only multitool they will ever own, whether this is a good thing or not. I was getting comments on their usefulness one year later, believe it or not - mainly for opening small items and bottles. 
If I had given them a better keychain tool, would they have done anything more with it?
(The year after I gave a few Classics, by the way - 20 times more expensive)

I see the black, vinil sheath/slip/envelope, in the black background, now  :D

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 05:12:01 PM
Great sheath, 2 convenient options: Blade side in first, guaranteed to destroy the sheath, OR blade edge out, guaranteeing funny looks at the store when you reach for your wallet and come up with a bloody stump  :rofl:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 05:14:11 PM
Pretty sure mine came with English paperwork, but now I can't seem to find the thing  :oops:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 05:16:21 PM
The blade is at the side, so you never really touch it - The sheath has proved surprisingly robust in my case  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 05:24:29 PM
The knife blade is at the end, but the saw teeth aren't and the sharp corner where the knife edge and the can opener meet I think has been used in some mid 80's ninja movies to slaughter entire villages in the night.

I'm not saying the bandage on my finger has anything to do with this tool..... but I'm not saying it doesn't either....

Def

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 08:28:30 PM
Finally found mine!

Here's the English instruction sheet;

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 11:16:17 PM
That is a lot easier to understand than the card I got with mine.

At least for me.  :D

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%