Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sad tale that a simple glass breaker could have prevented

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
A Texas man and his dog died of heat exhaustion when the electrical system in his dream car, a corvette, failed, leaving him unable to unlock the doors or roll down the windows.

A $10 ResQMe on his keychain or other glass breaker would have prevented this tragedy

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/texas-man-72-dies-trapped-corvette-dream-car-article-1.2253934

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Sad tale that a simple glass breaker could have prevented
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 12:03:39 AM
Terrible way to go.  :cry:
But cant you use any metal object to break the glass, as long as it has a bit of weight?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 12:22:21 AM
Well... no. Not always.

This is an older man, and while inside a car, you have limited capacity to get a metal object swinging. Car glass is shockingly resilient. As in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crDLLE9yBvg

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 01:43:40 AM
Wow. Never knew that. Sad to hear

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 02:04:07 AM
That is very sad news.
Knowing there was a manual release for the door also would have done the job.
Breaking windows from the outside is different and smaller windows flex less making them harder to break.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 02:08:57 AM by zoidberg »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 02:22:03 AM
I have a spring loaded center punch in my truck that I believe would do the trick. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 02:24:38 AM
Yep. That'll do it.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 02:30:41 AM
A ALOX awl would work as well...it's not that great force is required it's to concentrate enough force in a tiny spot.

Used to have these in every vehicle....

http://www.harborfreight.com/spring-loaded-center-punch-621.html

Aloha beat me to it... :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 02:06:39 PM
That's sad and a bad way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weasel

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 02:26:50 PM
What is it with people not reading an owners manual.

If your going to own a car, you need to understand it.

I feel terrible for the family and It's extremely upsetting.

But a glass breaker would have worked, or ANY common sense from anyone outside the vehicle.

Why didn't the waitress/waiter see the phone either? Waffle House's are tiny. And usually someone wipes the seats and tables once you leave.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 12:05:43 PM
I think we are missing the obvious here- windshields are very easy to push out.  All he needed to do was get his feet up there and push with his back and legs and it would have popped out and the only damage to the car would have been a few light scratches on the hood and maybe a bent wiper or two.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 04:10:17 PM
A Texas man and his dog died of heat exhaustion when the electrical system in his dream car, a corvette, failed, leaving him unable to unlock the doors or roll down the windows.

A $10 ResQMe on his keychain or other glass breaker would have prevented this tragedy

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/texas-man-72-dies-trapped-corvette-dream-car-article-1.2253934

Why didn't he shoot the windows?!?!

:think: :think: :think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 04:19:21 PM

Why didn't he shoot the windows?!?!

:think: :think: :think: :think:

I would of.....just been looking for an excuse.......   ;)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 04:23:48 PM
I think we are missing the obvious here- windshields are very easy to push out.  All he needed to do was get his feet up there and push with his back and legs and it would have popped out and the only damage to the car would have been a few light scratches on the hood and maybe a bent wiper or two.

Def
Why didn't I think of that lol

However at 72 years old his flexibility might night be up to par. Atleast in a Corvette anyways.

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 01:15:16 PM
I just saw this and wow. How horrible. I hope his wife sues GM for a few trillion dollars. There is no excuse for car manufacturers building death traps with doors that require electricity to open. When you are inside a car and you pull on the door handle it better open. Period. The so-called safety lobby has been doing a lot of harmful things for a long time between doors that don't open and air bags that kill drivers, somebody has to stop the insanity.

It might not be easy or even possible to kick out the windshield on that car. The dash is very wide front to back and the seat restricts your movement, you have a console and a thick steering wheel. You need to be fairly acrobatic and skinny to get from the driver's seat to the passenger's seat with the doors closed. The angle is such that you might not be able to swing around and get your feet on the glass. I can't remember and it's been awhile but I don't think it would have been that easy, especially when somebody is panicking in a hot car.
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 09:06:02 PM

Def

However at 72 years old his flexibility might night be up to par. Atleast in a Corvette anyways.

I'm not that old, but I'm 6' 7". I'm pretty sure I couldn't get my legs out from under the steering wheel to accomplish that no matter if I was 20 years old again. (lol)

But more seriously, I keep a ResQMe in my glove box. Everyone should have one (or something) for just in case.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 10:18:42 PM

Def

I'm not that old, but I'm 6' 7". I'm pretty sure I couldn't get my legs out from under the steering wheel to accomplish that no matter if I was 20 years old again. (lol)

But more seriously, I keep a ResQMe in my glove box. Everyone should have one (or something) for just in case.
I'm 6'4" and I have done it. (Not actually pushed the window, but rest my feet on the dash of a C7)

Although I am 20 lol

They should have tried the "Fireman's Finger" on the window too! That's some crazy stuff!!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 11:00:19 PM
I had zip tied ResQMe to hand break release handle on both of our cars since I joined MTO.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

00 Offline rebel

Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 04:15:34 PM
I had zip tied ResQMe to hand break release handle on both of our cars since I joined MTO.

Has anybody who has one of those actually tested it on a car window? I tried to watch some of the videos on the homepage for that company but I just couldn't stand the eternal wait to actually see any content so I gave up. Sounds like a good concept but does it work?
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

hr Offline styx

Reply #20 on: August 17, 2015, 04:24:54 PM

Has anybody who has one of those actually tested it on a car window? I tried to watch some of the videos on the homepage for that company but I just couldn't stand the eternal wait to actually see any content so I gave up. Sounds like a good concept but does it work?

This might help you out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1J30v89gtY
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

00 Offline rebel

Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 06:52:46 PM
Thanks, that's short and to the point. The only questions are who is that guy and how does he not mind slicing his seatbelt and breaking his window. I would guess somebody was paying for that unless the guy likes destroying stuff for fun. That kindof makes the video questionable.
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

hr Offline styx

Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 08:15:03 PM
It also could have been a dump yard vehicle that was set to get crushed anyway
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 08:47:04 PM
Thanks, that's short and to the point. The only questions are who is that guy and how does he not mind slicing his seatbelt and breaking his window. I would guess somebody was paying for that unless the guy likes destroying stuff for fun. That kindof makes the video questionable.

You could check out his YouTube about page. He's a tactical training expert and CEO of SIG Group, Australia, which does tactical and security training. So one of these organizations that provides a lot of training, tests, and tips videos online to built their company reputation. I imagine that they could easily afford it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%