Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

HEEEELLLPP!! To repair or not to repair???

au Offline Scoon

Re: HEEEELLLPP!! To repair or not to repair???
Reply #30 on: October 12, 2015, 11:31:38 AM
@Lynn I've used the awl and (stupidly) punched something a little too hard on the wrong angle, and all that happened was it squashed my finger a little. You'd have to have an incredible amount of force behind the punch for it to actually break the finger. However, as you say, even if that does happen it's still preferable to the alternative.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #31 on: October 12, 2015, 03:53:25 PM
@Tinkertailor, as unique an the individual who wields it, and as important as task at hand.

If you want something pocketable I say what you have is perfect, but if you want more utility then go big. I like the Champion. Definitely not what I'd want to pocket carry, but great for a bag/pack/pouch or something to keep next to the bed along with say a flashlight. You can find them cheaper than many SAKs with less features. Got my eye on a few for sub $20.

Scales can be expensive, everything is these days, but a nice pair of scales really can give your knife a bit of character, and turn if from a simple tool to a conversation piece. I've gotten more people interested in SAKs through nice scales then all the talk of pragmatism ever has.

Which irks me to no end! People these days... :facepalm:

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #32 on: October 12, 2015, 03:55:05 PM
I was just unloading 60 sets of scales last week.  :D

If you cant find any anywhere else, you're welcome to a couple sets for the cost of shipping to the US from Canada which is $5.

Super tinkers rule BTW.  Its the most popular 3 layer sold in north america, according to NA Vic dealers.  :D

Cheers  :salute:

Syph007,

great offer, but if tinkertailor is willing to wait until my package from you arrives, I will be happy to provide one set for free.

tinkertailor,  if you are interested in this, let me know, and I will let you know once my scales from Syph007 arrives.

no cost to you,  I will just need a mailing address sent to me in a PM,
Oh my god. This is so kind of both of you.
I knew I picked the right forum to join and ask... Dedicated knife forums seemed so macho and, Idunno, just not human enough. I'm not crying with happiness. Nope. *sniff sniff*
Detron, I sentcha a message. Syph007, you're awesome!
This community is INCREEEEDIIIBBLLLEEE.
 :salute:

MODS,  is there a minimum post count before PMs are allowed?  I did not get the PM from tinkertailor

update, I got an email from tinkertailor,  so there is no missing PM.
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #33 on: October 12, 2015, 04:13:18 PM
This kind of thing really makes me proud to be a member here. Thanks to those involved for helping the lady out :cheers:
SAW

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: October 12, 2015, 08:20:58 PM
This kind of thing really makes me proud to be a member here. Thanks to those involved for helping the lady out :cheers:
+1 :tu:

us Offline tinkertailor

Reply #35 on: October 13, 2015, 03:36:40 AM
Thanks Enki  :tu:

@Tinker, it was a mistype. I wondered if the SAK after boiling came out clean?
Never been cleaner. The metal is stunning, shinier than ever! It's like the good shiny soul on the scales left them and entered the metal. I usually soak the thing in water, use a toothbrush to get the lint out, use a mild detergent on it, rinse it, and leave it to dry in the sun. I've done that once a month for quite some time, but this time.... Sigh.
fledgling knife nerd

us Offline tinkertailor

Reply #36 on: October 13, 2015, 03:48:32 AM
Hi Tinkertailor,

I'm fairly new here too :)

Just wanted to say on the topic of self defence, don't underestimate carrying your SAK like that. Although I would recommend also carrying pepper spray, a SAK could make a difference.

You see, there's so much focus on completely disabling or wounding the attacker. People talk about guns, stopping power etc and it leaves you with the impression that you need to completely blow them away in order to save yourself. You don't necessarily need to defeat the attacker completely, just give yourself enough time to get away. Holding the SAK in your fist will strengthen your punch a great deal, and leaving the screwdriver poking through should leave a nice puncture wound in your attacker. If you put up a fight, and if don't stop punching, it will make a difference.

It may not be the best possible defence, but it may give you the time you need to escape, which is key. I wouldn't rely on it completely, but I'd say that it's definitely not a complete placebo. And good on you for being proactive about protecting yourself :)
Exactly, Scoon. I was told by someone once that if you're tiny, carrying a stack of wrapped quarters would make a difference in your punch. And my hands are more spidery and appropriate for embroidery than combat. A friend of a friend bought one of those kubotan keychains meant for hitting a pressure point on a person and got in trouble for it because it was considered a ~weapon~. I figured, combine the two! And use pepper spray! And walk with purpose, don't meander, don't look like a tourist, etc... I can't say if the knife works for sure, but I feel better and with pepper spray and a shrill scream I think it'll work. Maybe. Hope I never have to try. :ahhh
fledgling knife nerd

us Offline tinkertailor

Reply #37 on: October 13, 2015, 03:56:25 AM
I'm very honored to be a part of this community and am grateful I picked this one as opposed to another community I was a lurker on, which was a bit more, err, macho... Somewhat akin to a *coughcough* knife measuring contest, and less of a true community. This forum feels like home!  :angel:
fledgling knife nerd

au Offline Scoon

Reply #38 on: October 13, 2015, 04:03:44 AM
Hi Tinkertailor,

I'm fairly new here too :)

Just wanted to say on the topic of self defence, don't underestimate carrying your SAK like that. Although I would recommend also carrying pepper spray, a SAK could make a difference.

You see, there's so much focus on completely disabling or wounding the attacker. People talk about guns, stopping power etc and it leaves you with the impression that you need to completely blow them away in order to save yourself. You don't necessarily need to defeat the attacker completely, just give yourself enough time to get away. Holding the SAK in your fist will strengthen your punch a great deal, and leaving the screwdriver poking through should leave a nice puncture wound in your attacker. If you put up a fight, and if don't stop punching, it will make a difference.

It may not be the best possible defence, but it may give you the time you need to escape, which is key. I wouldn't rely on it completely, but I'd say that it's definitely not a complete placebo. And good on you for being proactive about protecting yourself :)
Exactly, Scoon. I was told by someone once that if you're tiny, carrying a stack of wrapped quarters would make a difference in your punch. And my hands are more spidery and appropriate for embroidery than combat. A friend of a friend bought one of those kubotan keychains meant for hitting a pressure point on a person and got in trouble for it because it was considered a ~weapon~. I figured, combine the two! And use pepper spray! And walk with purpose, don't meander, don't look like a tourist, etc... I can't say if the knife works for sure, but I feel better and with pepper spray and a shrill scream I think it'll work. Maybe. Hope I never have to try. :ahhh

:tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: October 13, 2015, 08:07:54 AM
I'm very honored to be a part of this community and am grateful I picked this one as opposed to another community I was a lurker on, which was a bit more, err, macho... Somewhat akin to a *coughcough* knife measuring contest, and less of a true community. This forum feels like home!  :angel:

:rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline aerojet

• My Wenger...
Reply #40 on: October 14, 2015, 03:37:32 PM
Just one point - using a folding knife of any type for defense will not work. Whatever blade you have out it can be and will be forced back at you. If you want to use it as a reinforcement to your fist, it will not work as well as you may have been led to believe. AND it will lead to more injuries to you. Worse, it may be forced out of your hand and used on you.

For a lady especially in Cali - since you have never been in the mil, get some training from any dojo in street protection. There is a lot of ways to fight back, if you have been properly trained in even the most basic moves. For you, my little bird, use pepper spray, but again you need to know how to use it, and have the knowledge that it can and may be again used against you.

Better to learn situational awareness and always keep your guard up. Be aware of your surroundings. Keep a wary eye out for lingerers. Forget the electronic distractions. Turn that thing off, or ignore it while you are out in public. This is one way you will be taken by surprise.

Lastly, if nothing else, take a concealed carry course, even if you are not going to pack hardware. This will give you the legal obligations after the attack which you may have subjected yourself to. It will also train you in defensive stance and positioning to be the most effective in repulsing an attack on yourself or another... Finally there is the mindset in actually getting into street combat with a determined opponent. DO not do it with a feint heart. Either figure on taking the beast out, or run. RUN is my best suggestion. Keep your eye always on a escape route and do not engage any opponent until you are properly trained, have the mindset to do the job, and be ready for the followup consequences.

Long I know - but know this -- in today's world it is dangerous out there.

The Aerojet

« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 03:38:38 PM by aerojet »
The early bird may get the worm, but it is second mouse which gets the CHEESE !!

The only easy day was yesterday.

us Offline detron

Reply #41 on: October 17, 2015, 07:40:25 AM
While waiting on my scales to arrive from Syph007,  I discovered I still have the last batch I bought from him a long time ago.   :facepalm:  never even used them, even though I have several SAKs that could use a scale change   :facepalm:

tinkertailor now has a set on the way, so she can fix up her precious friend.

:angel:

au Offline Scoon

us Offline detron

Reply #43 on: October 23, 2015, 12:18:26 AM
scales should have arrived by now.  Hope the install goes smoothly!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD