Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Trip to Elliot Lake Sept 26 2015.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Trip to Elliot Lake Sept 26 2015.
on: September 27, 2015, 04:55:03 PM
Elliot Lake is a small city with around 12,000 citizens located in the rugged northern wilderness of Ontario. It is a 170 Km drive East of Sault Ste Marie. It is just about midway when traveling to Sudbury from the Sault. What placed Elliot Lake on the map was the discovery of one of the worlds richest uranium deposits in 1953. One could say that the Elliot Lake uranium accounted for the majority of uranium in use around the world. Like all mining sites, the hay days eventually left as the uranium was mined out, and or the market shifted. Today, Elliot Lake is a thriving senior citizen community due to necessity as the mining industry dried out back in the 90's. As such, Elliot Lake played its cards right by offering some of the cheapest waterfront property anyone has seen in a long time. If one word was capable of summing up Elliot Lake, that word would be resiliency. Another descriptor word would be beautiful. The city of Elliot Lake is just gorgeous. Probably another factor that helped the city gather so many retired folks to rejuvenate the area.

My first stop was at the Mount Dufour Fire Tower Lookout. I have been to Elliot Lake on several occasions and was not aware of this scenic lookout. I only found out about this after Googling Elliot Lake attractions online. I must say, this is probably one of the most beautiful lookouts I have seen in a long time.

Looking back to the parking lot entrance.

Dept of Land and Forest outpost on site.

If the view from the railing isn't enough, you can climb higher on this platform. I didn't as I do suffer from a touch of fear of heights.

Here is a taste of the view. The camera does not do this any justice.

Another look at that platform.

After visiting the lookout, I decided to explore the northern part of the Elliot Lake region. I went as far as Mississagi Provincial Park. I found it would cost me 11.25 to enter the Park. I only wanted a quick drive which was not worth the entry fee...so I turned around at the gate. This gave me more time to drive down many a side roads to the various closed uranium mines in the region. All of these side roads ended with locked gates and plenty of signs indicated that trespassing on private property was frowned upon. I did a quick washroom stop at the Elliot Lake Access Point, which is mostly a boat ramp allowing access to Elliot Lake, the water feature that the city was named after (Mind you that is not exactly how the story goes. The Lake was named after a man named Elliot, who was a cook on one of the many logging operations in the area. He drowned in the body of water never to be seen again...and they named the Lake after him. Time passed, and the city was named after the Lake).

Here is my Jeep parked along Elliot Lake.

After the rest stop at the Access Point, exploring these somewhat abandoned roads did give me my second big stop of the trip. I saw plenty of cars parked on a side parking lot. When I returned after hitting another dead end, I decided to see what was up. I had inadvertently found the Sherriff Creek Wildlife Sanctuary Hiking Trails.

After looking at the above map, I decided to take the red route which is around 4 to 5 Km long simply because it stated that there was the old historical town-site along the pathway.

I must say, walking this trail allowed me the pleasure of witnessing many different regional characteristics. This hiking trail has it all. Marshes, wetlands, forested areas, bogs, and meadows.

Along the way are a few blinds placed there by a couple of volunteer groups that take care of the trails. I found out towards the end of my hiking that the land is on private mining lands, and that there are plenty of warnings which I didn't see until after my hike. I wasn't exactly prepared for the hike and didn't  exactly know where I was going or what I would encounter. I am sure if I had seen the warnings before entering, I may have done so more hesitantly.

Along the way, there were a few info plaques.

Along the way, a few walkway bridges with some anti-beaver screens. I looked at them and pondered the futility. I mean, beavers could simply walk over the trail.

This is me walking the trail on a whim. Everyone I met on the trail had a good pair of hiking boots and a backpack. Me. my crocks, a MultiTool.org hat, and my trusty Leatherman Core with flashlight, and a Swiss+Tech UtiliKey 6 in 1 on my keychain. Maybe I was prepared enough. I can say I did think about water in my Jeep 3/4 of the way to my destination.  :rofl:

There were thankfully a few resting spots with a bench. Only a few mind you, and some spots, they were rare and far between.

The wetlands part was beautiful.

Along the way, were these helpful maps telling you where you are. The trail was mostly well marked as well. I did that red trail which thankfully led me back to my parked vehicle. Yeah, that is always a good thing.  :D

Now entering the wooded area. The trail was a mix of a single narrow pathway, to something you could drive an ATV over...although none are allowed in the sanctuary. I would wager the volunteer folks might bring one in to help them take care of the hiking trails based on what I saw trail wise.

That marsh needed plenty of creeks to feed it. This was a typical view along the wooded part of the trail.

Along the way, there were a few wooden walkways. These were nice as that meant you didn't have to watch where you threaded in fear of tree roots tripping you.

So as I came out of the hike, I came across a few warning signs. I didn't see these as I entered...maybe I went the wrong way...who knows.

This sign is funny as well...everywhere is bear country.

With Jeep in sight, and my steps going a little faster with thought of frosty AC and ice cold water, I was greeted with this sight. I thought it was a great way to end this little hike.

All in all, the hike was simply stunning. Even though I hadn't planed to take such a long hike, the views of nature in all its myriad glory was definitely a highlight. I was disappointed in that the old town-site was simply a bare meadow with no sign of habitation or past human activity. With that said, I would urge anyone visiting Elliot Lake to spend a few hours walking the various local hiking trails. Those at Sherriff Creek are easy to recommend. The trails, although rugged, were well kept. It also was nice to know that if you ever came into trouble, there were enough folks to find you and provide help, but not enough to make you feel like you were in civilization. I saw only 5 folks on that red trail system...enough to know that you wouldn't have to wait long (hopefully) if trouble did happen.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 05:33:33 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Trip to Elliot Lake Sept 26 2015.
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 05:02:05 PM
That was great Dan,thank you for taking us along :salute:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 05:31:21 PM
 :tu:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 05:39:22 PM
That was great Dan,thank you for taking us along :salute:

+1 Thank you!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 05:46:32 PM
wonderful
If I can help, let me know 

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 04:00:18 AM
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 04:05:05 AM by Chako »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41