Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Unusual model names on left handed Wengers from overseas

us Offline SAKdpvdw

Unusual model names on left handed Wengers from overseas
on: September 30, 2015, 05:40:59 AM
Is anyone aware of the use of different Wenger model names in different geographic markets?

Specifically, I've seen references on websites in three Commonwealth countries (UK, New Zealand, Australia) to these four Wenger left-handed models (85 mm):

Mountaineer
Rambler
Skier
Tourist

The "Mountaineer" appears to be a Traveler, the "Rambler" looks like a Cyclist (small blade version), and the "Tourist" looks like a Viking.  The Only the Skier seems to carry the "right" name.

The SAKwiki lefty page, for reference:
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wenger+Left-Handed+Swiss+Army+Knives

Those of you fluent in Victorinoxish will recognize the model names Mountaineer, Rambler and Tourist as being Victorinox model names, though they are totally different tool sets (apart from being right-handed).  There is, though, a 120 mm (Ranger style) Wenger Mountaineer.

Has anyone seen this type of thing before with either Wengers or Vics?

Cheers,

Dave

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Unusual model names on left handed Wengers from overseas
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 08:22:53 AM
Overseas is a relative term.... The forum is Canadian owned and a couple of members may consider the US as overseas  :D

A lot of the models, especially in Europe, are sold with a number, rather than a name (Look at e.g. amazon.de).

Victorinox and wenger are known for choosing confusing names, or naming different products with the same name.

There are a few threads discussing that, from what I recall.

An expert will be here to help you soon. :)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 01:28:12 PM
Overseas is a relative term.... The forum is Canadian owned and a couple of members may consider the US as overseas  :D

What if there is only one sea between the two countries - shall we say "oversea" instead of "overseas"?  :think:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 01:37:37 PM

What if there is only one sea between the two countries - shall we say "oversea" instead of "overseas"?  :think:

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 05:01:28 PM
I came across those names before (mainly from shops in Australia).
Based on my experience, many Wenger local importers used specific names for specific countries.
For example, on the wiki, the Wenger entries "Colonel"-"Oberst" and "Major" were not (as far as I know) official names, but just given by the norwegian importer.
I think I uploaded on the wiki an old italian brochure: same names used there were only for this specific market.
The same happened with Precise International for the North America.
As stated above by dks, most (if not all) the names of older Wenger models found in the wiki were only used in North America, as in Europe those knives were known only by the catalog number.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 12:27:41 AM
As a lefty, I must admit this was a pretty dumb idea.  As a novelty, OK.    I don't see why any lefty would have issues with normal SAKs. I for sure don't  The Soldier '08 seems to have been designed with lefties in mind, with the way the linerlock is.   

us Offline SAKdpvdw

Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 01:53:53 AM
I came across those names before (mainly from shops in Australia).
Based on my experience, many Wenger local importers used specific names for specific countries.
For example, on the wiki, the Wenger entries "Colonel"-"Oberst" and "Major" were not (as far as I know) official names, but just given by the norwegian importer.
I think I uploaded on the wiki an old italian brochure: same names used there were only for this specific market.
The same happened with Precise International for the North America.
As stated above by dks, most (if not all) the names of older Wenger models found in the wiki were only used in North America, as in Europe those knives were known only by the catalog number.

I suppose using numbers in Europe makes a lot of sense, considering the close proximity of so many markets with different languages.  Even Switzerland has three languages!  I always wondered about names like Adirondack - not sure how many outside the U.S. would recognize it!

As an aside, I used quotations around "overseas" when I entered the thread title, but they didn't go through! :)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 07:56:23 AM

What, too scared to say it a third time?  :pok:  :D

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 11:36:44 AM
As a lefty, I must admit this was a pretty dumb idea.  As a novelty, OK.    I don't see why any lefty would have issues with normal SAKs. I for sure don't  The Soldier '08 seems to have been designed with lefties in mind, with the way the linerlock is.

As far as I know, they swapped the can opener to the other side, which would make it usable for lefties, other than that...  :shrug:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 01:12:26 PM

What, too scared to say it a third time?  :pok:  :D

Gremlins on the interweb did that and they also stopped me from fixing it.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 01:19:00 PM
Lobster shaped gremlins....      :whistle:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline K4NNW

Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 06:34:15 AM

As far as I know, they swapped the can opener to the other side, which would make it usable for lefties, other than that...  :shrug:

As a lefty, I never had a problem with Wenger's can openers. However, it's downright comical to watch me use a Vic can opener. Also, I had never known about these 'left-handed' variants until now.

us Offline SAKdpvdw

Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 04:29:18 AM
I received my lefty "Mountaineer" from an Australian shop, and I see that the box is indeed labeled with a number, 117 102.  Also, it is actually equivalent to the North American Forester (16239), not the Traveler (in other words, it has a wood saw).

I tested out on a couple lefties at work.  Both thought the can opener would be a lot easier to use, at least hypothetically.  Both thought the scissors would be a lot easier to use for those lefties who have grown up with left-handed scissors, as is common nowadays in U.S. schools.  But these two people had grown up adapting to right-handed scissors, which they describe as having to push against in an odd way that is impossible for righties to understand.  Maybe I should try a lefty scissors!  Anyway, as 40-something year olds, they had adapted to a right-handed world, and found the knife not so "handy" with the exception of the thumb nicks being on the opposite side to open.  They both agreed that using the corkscrew would feel really weird, as again, they have adapted to the clockwise rotation.

Apparently professional chefs who are lefties all have reverse-edged knives, except for "chopping" knives, which don't have a back-bevel.  And I thought SAKs were expensive!

Regardless, it's a really cool knife for a collection, and very ingenuous.  My four year old is a lefty, so I supposed she is destined to inherit it!

Cheers,

Dave

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44