Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

$50 Amazon Fire 7" Tablet

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
$50 Amazon Fire 7" Tablet
on: September 30, 2015, 05:12:50 PM
Amazon just announced a new, cheaper version of their 7" Fire tablet.

While it only comes with 8gb of storage, it includes an SD card slot for expansion.

I owned one of the older Kindle Fires, and currently use a Fire 6" (16g model for $120). I'm going to be 100% honest. Probably 70% of what i use it for is reading or watching videos while in the bathroom. The other 30% is using it to browse rulebooks while at my Saturday night RPG. For this, these tablets are perfect. I don't now if I'd consider them daily users.

The display looks to be 1024x600, not as crisp as the 1280x800 on my 6", but the same is my original Kindle Fire. And I found the display on that to be just fine.

Both my previous Kindle Fire AND my 6" Fire are WiFi only, and I've never had a problem with that. I have a cell phone if I'm roaming. I think they actually make the 6" with 3G, but it was more expensive, and i didn't care. And anyway, we're talking about the $50 7" model here, which is NOT 3G.

They aren't perfect tablets, but I feel like it was worth every cent of the $120 I paid for my 6". If you don't mind the slightly larger size, the 7" one for less than half that seems like a complete steal.

If you look on Amazon, and when looking this up, it says 'includes special offers'... that means that for the cheap price, they get to stick ads on your opening screen. Meh, no big deal to me.

If you're REALLY excited about it, you can also apparently buy a 6-pack for $250, which is like buy 5 get one free. You know... in case you need one in every room of your house. Or you have (way too many) kids. :D

I thought their $99 Fires were impressive last Christmas. This $50 is insane, IMO. At this rate, tablets will start coming free in cereal boxes pretty soon.  :rofl:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: $50 Amazon Fire 7" Tablet
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 08:34:59 PM
I saw these a few days ago. If I did not have a Ipad I would of definitely bought one. T be honest even though I have the Ipad I was considering it anyways, but I do not need one so I passed. Seems like a amazing deal though. I hope tablets stay this price as when the Ipad bites the bullet I would like to replace it for cheap.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 10:51:58 PM
That's a pretty krazy price.  I use my Nexus 7 all of the time, and don't "need" a $49 Fire, but that's hard to pass up.  If nothing else, you could keep it next to the toilet for grunt surfing (<< new Powernoodle word).  Its not an Android device, which is a bit of a downer (for me).

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 12:01:58 AM
That's a pretty krazy price.  I use my Nexus 7 all of the time, and don't "need" a $49 Fire, but that's hard to pass up.  If nothing else, you could keep it next to the toilet for grunt surfing (<< new Powernoodle word).  Its not an Android device, which is a bit of a downer (for me).

I used to have the hd 7", and if the os is the same, I believe it's android, just very specialized and restricted. I would love one if you could strip the os, and just put your own on, but I'm not that good.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 12:08:06 AM
Yeah, they run a customized version of Android, and there are tutorials out there for putting a vanilla version on them.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 03:20:26 AM
lol@grunt surfing

I work at the big blue electronics store and there is gonna be a massive push on tablets and Amazon tablets this holiday season. I'm busy as hell overhauling Amazons table and inline sections for that 50 buck tablet and the peripheral items that you'll need for it . Got some nice cases and keyboards for it.

i'm ready for that surface pro 4 to drop as everyone suddenly realized the Microsoft Surface Tablet is a mean machine and are trying to copy it. I think my sp3 is the best money i ever spent on an electronic device. < end of thread derailment>
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 03:37:26 AM
I like 'grunt surfing'. Sufficiently descriptive without being too explicit. I think I might adopt that.

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 03:59:56 AM
lol@grunt surfing

I work at the big blue electronics store and there is gonna be a massive push on tablets and Amazon tablets this holiday season. I'm busy as hell overhauling Amazons table and inline sections for that 50 buck tablet and the peripheral items that you'll need for it . Got some nice cases and keyboards for it.

i'm ready for that surface pro 4 to drop as everyone suddenly realized the Microsoft Surface Tablet is a mean machine and are trying to copy it. I think my sp3 is the best money i ever spent on an electronic device. < end of thread derailment>

Mild retailing, I also have an sp3, the i5 (2400u? Been a minute) 128gig version, and I love it! Aside from being a delight to use as a tablet, I can even game (simple games on low graphic settings, but 3d fps' nonetheless). And the fan of old the Mercedes 300slr loves the magnesium case.

Quite a highly recommended tablet/computer, though admittedly not the best bang for buck as far as straight horsepower.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%