Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Question for the backside Phillips fans

us Offline tommywp

Question for the backside Phillips fans
on: September 29, 2015, 12:12:02 AM
Im faced with the great Phillips vs corkscrew decision (Handyman vs Craftsman). Read all the threads and not looking to rehash the debate, but hoping to quantify things bit.

Question for the backside Phillips fans:  How often do you find yourself using the backside Phillips instead of the can opener? 1 out of every 10 times, half the time, etc?   :salute:

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Re: Question for the backside Phillips fans
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 12:27:30 AM
Im faced with the great Phillips vs corkscrew decision (Handyman vs Craftsman). Read all the threads and not looking to rehash the debate, but hoping to quantify things bit.

Question for the backside Phillips fans:  How often do you find yourself using the backside Phillips instead of the can opener? 1 out of every 10 times, half the time, etc?   :salute:

When my Super Tinker was my EDC, I used the back side Phillips probably 6/10 times. I found the screws I needed to get to were recessed and surrounded by plastic, so that the can opener tip couldn't get at them.

Sometimes, the screws were up against something, so the T-handle was in the way. It was nice to have both options.

Something that is not mentioned often is that when used as a Phillips, the can opener tip is a lot more apt to fold and hurt you (either cut or busted knuckles) than an inline Phillips or T-Phillips. Especially if you're trying to break a screw loose or get it nice & tight. I bust my knuckles way too often when I don't have a proper Phillips on me.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 12:42:05 AM
Pretty much 100% of the time!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 12:52:10 AM
I've never been a fan of the backside phillips and do not own a single SAK with it. All mine have the CS.
SAW

us Offline bren10man

Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 01:39:23 AM
I don't need the corkscrew.  I carry a Champion and use the corkscrew to hold the small fine screwdriver.

I prefer the backside Phillips, a plus if it has the can key (pre 1992).  Hence, why I carry a 1980-1985 era Grand Prix. 

I came VERY close to buying a new Craftsman (I need one as I have several 1985 and back era Craftsmans without pliers) yesterday, but I bought another 1970's era Champion...this one marked HOFFRITZ on the blade tang and on the cross side scale.   

Go for the Craftsman.  Most excellent set of tools......unless you drink wine.  Then if you go that route, you lose the Phillips driver.
MOLON LABE!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 09:32:32 AM
I also had this dilemma, last christmas i got a handyman off of this forum,it was a present from my wife,i really liked the handyman and was a alternative from my swisschamp, as the months went on i decided i missed a 3d phillips, i pretty much never use the cs,only really too hold the mini flathead,so with some help from this great forum i was sent some brass rod and read the how page,and vwola ive now got a handycraftsman  :D i use the phillips a lot so very happy with my mod  :salute:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 09:59:19 AM by Zed »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 09:43:57 AM

Wait a sec, are you asking times we use phillips vs corkscrew?  Typo, right?

I think I use phillips way many more time than the corkscrew, but most of the time, I still would prefer to have the corkscrew at the backside--because I rarely need one, but when I do, it will be a total party poopper without one.  Besides, the mini screwdriver it holds is also a bonus.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 10:21:18 AM
A point to consider is that the pin holding the corkscrew/back mounted Phillips can't take much torque:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,22526.0.html

:salute:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline parman53

• I Can Fix Anything
Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 10:57:52 AM
The main blade the Phillips and the flat blade are my main tools. I don't care for SAK's without a Phillips. I would rather have a in line than a T Phillips but I have to have a Phillips one way or the other. Don't really use the cork screw ever.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 11:33:42 AM
Out of 10 times unscrewing a Philips I'd use the backside one 8 times...
Also this is less important... the main think is the backside Philips, unlike the corkscrew is nice and smooth and feels great in hand... this is extremely important with the Wengers as their corkscrews would stick out A LOT.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 01:09:57 PM
Thanks everyone. This is interesting. I assumed i'd use the can opener for most Phillips screws, only using the backside Phillips on rare occasions. But it sounds like you guys are using the backside Phillips over the can opener the majority of the time...and since you have both right there to choose from, this means that you find the backside tool to be the better driver.

That makes the Backside tool decision "improved Phillips vs corkscrew" rather than "secondary Phillips vs corkscrew", which are very different things.

Was leaning towards the Craftsman and this makes me more comfortable in that decision.

:cheers:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 01:30:18 PM
Thanks everyone. This is interesting. I assumed i'd use the can opener for most Phillips screws, only using the backside Phillips on rare occasions. But it sounds like you guys are using the backside Phillips over the can opener the majority of the time...and since you have both right there to choose from, this means that you find the backside tool to be the better driver.

That makes the Backside tool decision "improved Phillips vs corkscrew" rather than "secondary Phillips vs corkscrew", which are very different things.

Was leaning towards the Craftsman and this makes me more comfortable in that decision.

:cheers:

if you can live without the mini screwdriver and the cs i would go for the craftsman, its a great sak  :salute:

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 01:44:57 PM
Well, the backside Philips is a proper 3D Philips with lots of grip, easy to hold firmly, comfortable in hand good for many sizes of Philips and good for clear and semi-recessed screws.
The can opener can fit deeper screws, but it is less grippy, not as versatile, the head stops it into getting in tight semi-recesses but it is a bit stronger for tight screws than the backside.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 01:58:37 PM
Have to have my phillips! Deluxe Tinkers and Tinkers Rule!
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 03:02:10 PM
I vote for the CT bit driver...  :pommel:

I like to have the CS for the rare bottle with cork and more importantly, the eyeglass driver.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 03:44:15 PM
Split the Handyman/Craftsman in two, so you have both of them CS&phillips >:D

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 05:09:38 PM
The backside phillips is good as long as you know its limits and don't overdo it.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 05:41:06 PM
This is one of the reasons I carry two SAKs. Today's mix Champ and Tinker.
IMG_20150929_083256.jpg
* IMG_20150929_083256.jpg (Filesize: 174.98 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 05:45:27 PM
The backside phillips is good as long as you know its limits and don't overdo it.

Fair point. That Highlander I rebuilt,it had been stuffed up by someone trying to put too much torque through the back Phillips.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 08:31:35 PM
One thing I forgot to mention.

When I carried the Tinker or Super Tinker every day, I actually used BOTH the T-Phillips AND the can opener.

The T-Phillips for torquing down or recessed screws, and the can opener for quickly removing Phillips' that are already loose enough.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 08:34:36 PM
Also this is less important... the main think is the backside Philips, unlike the corkscrew is nice and smooth and feels great in hand...

This is a great point. When I was making my whittling SAK, I chose the Hiker as a basis vs. the Camper, because the Phillips is more comfortable against the palm of the hand.

Most times, it doesn't matter. But when whittling or really bearing down on the front side tools, the difference is quite noticeable.

Side note: I also made a Recruit whittler, since NO back tools is even MORE comfy.

Another side note: When I say "made a whittler", I mean re-shaping the small blade to be more like a Wharnecliff, and grinding off the keyring nub.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #21 on: September 29, 2015, 08:39:54 PM
Go Craftsman, great SAK
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 10:02:53 PM
There is a way to avoid having to choose.....  :whistle:

>:D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 11:38:53 PM
Here is my Wenger Zermatt,

that's right, an inline and backside Phillips.  I have to admit it is a puzzling design choice. 

In general I always try to use the can opener first just cause I think I can torque it harder and I like the inline rotation.  If the screw is recessed, I go to the backside.

As for the corkscrew, hardly useless.  Comes in handy for odd jobs, like untying knots.  (The Wenger awl is good for this too, but the Vic awl is too sharp.)

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #24 on: September 30, 2015, 12:12:06 AM

I use the rear Phillips about 8 out of 10 times rather than the can opener. There's always the explorer, s557 or swisschamp to avoid this issue entirely :)

us Offline tommywp

Reply #25 on: September 30, 2015, 02:09:36 AM
Ordered the Craftsman off eBay this afternoon. This is my first big boy SAK. Looking forward to it  :tu:

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 04:32:01 AM

2 saks is never a bad idea

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: September 30, 2015, 01:15:58 PM
Ordered the Craftsman off eBay this afternoon. This is my first big boy SAK. Looking forward to it  :tu:

look forward too yout thoughts  :salute:

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: September 30, 2015, 06:37:55 PM

2 saks is never a bad idea
:cheers: :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44