Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Place of serrations on Soldier 2008

Shalom · 12 · 2008

il Offline Shalom

Place of serrations on Soldier 2008
on: October 06, 2015, 08:21:25 AM
On the Soldier 2008 and several other 111 models the serrated portion of the blade is the one closer to the tip .
The smooth portion is close to the base.
Do you prefer this to the reverse arrangement (as found on Spydercos for example) - having the serrated part close to the base and the smooth part to the tip?
And why?

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Re: Place of serrations on Soldier 2008
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 08:32:15 AM
I know some people like that, but I, for one, find it extremely dumb...
Vic seems to be trying to reinvent bushcraft knives and it's not working - see the backwards linerlock - and I understand it's designed for the German laws, but really... make a German version, and a "proper" one for everybody else.

Back to serrations... I like having a nice proper straight blade at the tip, for fine work and general cutting and easy sharpening.
For cutting rope, or hardcutting of cardboard or wood, or if the top bit gets too dull, you can go lower down the blade and use the serrated bit...

I gave away my SE OHT to my wife (great knife, by the way) and switched to a PE OHT that I won in a GAW earlier this year... if serrations were arranged the other wy, I might have kept that one...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 10:53:37 AM by Corwyn »
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 09:14:18 AM
Not a fan,i had a 111mm soldier but went forca modded pe blade  :tu:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 10:47:34 AM
I am never a big fan for serration, and I actually don't mind the current serration arrangement on the 111mm Soldier. 

The reason being, for the most part, I use my blade to cut things that are not fabric/rope related, and do prefer the plain edge over the serration.  But I see the point of having serration towards the front, so it is just balancing for the both worlds, mainly blade edge to cut but serration to slice if needed.

But of course, 111 PE OHO trekker is still my favorite of the two.

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 10:55:36 AM
Not a fan of serrations either but they do have their place and I really like their position on the Soldier 2008 blade; it makes more sense to me than the other way.  :tu:

The reason for this is that if I need to use a serrated blade then I probably need some more real estate covered with serrations rather than just a small part at the blade's base near the handle, where I find them uncomfortable/inpractical.

Imagine having to cut rope quickly with 3cm (roughly 1 inch) of serrations near the handle. No manoeuvrability whatsoever, let alone leverage and control.

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 12:41:14 PM
Prefer dedicated serrated blade if given the choice. Otherwise, I rarely carry anything with serrations. With the OHT/Soldier, I don't mind the position compared to having them at the base of the blade, but would prefer PE.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 01:04:57 PM
Serrations are in general a dealbreaker to me. I really, really don't like them.

That said, I'm in the minority that prefers Vic's arrangement over the more common one. It all boils down to what you're using the knife for. When I cut close to the tang with a knife like that, I'm probably doing a power cut in wood. Then serrations are a pain in the posterior. So, if you really insist on a combo blade, at least let me keep a straight section close to the tang. In other words, to me Vic's arrangement makes perfect sense, serrations near the tip to quickly tear open packages and other soft materials, plain edge close to the tang to do power cuts in hard materials. The Vic blade is designed as a soldier's (utility) knife, not a bushcrafter or hunting knife.

In any allround knife, I “must” have a straight area close to the tang, since I like that for wood. But, as I said, I think serrations are evil and stay away. :)

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 01:50:45 PM
Serrations are in general a dealbreaker to me. I really, really don't like them.

The Vic blade is designed as a soldier's (utility) knife, not a bushcrafter or hunting knife.

In any allround knife, I “must” have a straight area close to the tang, since I like that for wood. But, as I said, I think serrations are evil and stay away. :)

I came to that same conclusion about the Soldier 2008 being a utility knife. It can deal some serious damage in combat though  :ahhh

I wholeheartedly agree that serrations are evil and I avoid them (not succesfully though since my wife will only use serrated knives  :-\ - at least I got her some Vics and she likes them) but I like those by Victorinox. Effective, not aggressive, they get the job done quietly. I'm not too keen on the chisel ground straight part though; I wouldn't like having to whittle with it :dwts:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 03:24:25 PM

That said, I'm in the minority that prefers Vic's arrangement over the more common one. It all boils down to what you're using the knife for. When I cut close to the tang with a knife like that, I'm probably doing a power cut in wood. Then serrations are a pain in the posterior. So, if you really insist on a combo blade, at least let me keep a straight section close to the tang. In other words, to me Vic's arrangement makes perfect sense, serrations near the tip to quickly tear open packages and other soft materials, plain edge close to the tang to do power cuts in hard materials. The Vic blade is designed as a soldier's (utility) knife, not a bushcrafter or hunting knife.

Actually, the reason for why I much prefer the Victorinox arrangement is because I felt I can do more wood work, if the PE closer to the tang.  I would imagine it is pro-'bushcraft' setting, if there is such thing.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 05:52:34 PM
In the past I have never been a fan of serated main blade's. I got a Soldier because it was on sale. This is not a knife I would choose for bushcraft. I would rather have a plain edge for that ( just my preference). This knife shines most in the urban\utility role. Vinel, plastic, nylon, rope all fall prey to the serations while the pe at the back is great for notching, shaving ect.

If there is a natural disasters here at home this is the knife I want on my belt.
IMG_20150918_104840.jpg
* IMG_20150918_104840.jpg (Filesize: 133.67 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline cody6268

Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 09:54:23 PM
When I ordered my Soldier '08, I was nearly ready to buy the Camo Trekker NS (non-serrated), but picked the Soldier as it was only a dollar more.   

As I understand, the serrated blade was to reduce maintenance.   I don't hate it, but it's annoying sometimes.  A plus is, I won't probably have to sharpen the Soldier as long as I need it.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 05:12:03 PM

As I understand, the serrated blade was to reduce maintenance.   I don't hate it, but it's annoying sometimes.  A plus is, I won't probably have to sharpen the Soldier as long as I need it.
[/quote]

The serated blade does stay sharp longer but I still like to touch it up on the streel once in a while. It keeps that serated blade razor sharp and ready to slice and dice with ease.
IMG_20150912_075403.jpg
* IMG_20150912_075403.jpg (Filesize: 162.31 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%