Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Skeletool RX?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Skeletool RX?
Reply #120 on: September 05, 2018, 03:04:38 PM
Kinda surprised no one has made a glass breaker bit yet  :dunno:
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #121 on: September 05, 2018, 03:28:08 PM
I guess its because many/most/all have a dedicated tool like the RESQME in their car, so people don't feel the need to have a glass breaker.

EDIT: Also, too high a chance of loosing the bit when trying to put it in your tool.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 04:01:24 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #122 on: September 05, 2018, 03:38:27 PM

I am no expert or anything on rescue tools or breaking glass, so feel free to correct me.

But I can imagine, the "time consuming" process of swapping bits in an emergency situation would render a glass breaker kind of redundant, and I can also imagine that the bit driver wouldn't be designed to be used as a hammer tool, so it would prematurely wear the bit driver out, if not destroy it completely.

Just my 2 cents....
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan
-------------------------------------------------

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #123 on: September 05, 2018, 03:45:43 PM
I guess its because many/most/all have a dedicated tool like the RESQME in their car, so people don't feel the need to have a glass breaker.

I keep a automatic center punch in my vehicle.  Just figured someone who really wanted one would have attempted to make one.   :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #124 on: September 05, 2018, 03:46:28 PM
I am no expert or anything on rescue tools or breaking glass, so feel free to correct me.

But I can imagine, the "time consuming" process of swapping bits in an emergency situation would render a glass breaker kind of redundant, and I can also imagine that the bit driver wouldn't be designed to be used as a hammer tool, so it would prematurely wear the bit driver out, if not destroy it completely.

Just my 2 cents....

:iagree:  Unless you keep the glassbreaker bit equipped when not using other bits, it's just a bad idea and won't be ready when you need it.
- Terry

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #125 on: September 05, 2018, 04:00:08 PM

Just my 2 cents....
Not an expert on car rescue either, but I did several lab-safety courses (fire, spills, many dangers in a lab), I also did work with firefighters (developing protocols for high risk buildings == Labs). First step is always to calm down and think, so time is rarely that critical (e.g. on a crash site, you would first secure the site before you actually start rescuing people). However, there is a great risk in dropping that tiny bit (remember you are probably close to panic and your hands are shaking), making a glass breaker bit too unreliable.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #126 on: September 05, 2018, 04:03:12 PM
And from 2018 all new vehicles in the US must have laminated glass in all windows, including the doors, so the utility of a glass breaker will be becoming increasingly questionable. https://www.firerecruit.com/articles/1505250-6-tools-for-breaching-auto-glass

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #127 on: September 05, 2018, 04:06:23 PM
And from 2018 all new vehicles in the US must have laminated glass in all windows, including the doors, so the utility of a glass breaker will be becoming increasingly questionable. https://www.firerecruit.com/articles/1505250-6-tools-for-breaching-auto-glass

:pok:

Fire-extrication blanket to cover and protect the patient during operations.
Hood release tool.
Battery cable cutter.
Hack saw and spare blades.
Heavy-duty spring window punch.
Seatbelt cutter.
ART glass removal tool.
9.5-inch grip-lock pliers.
8-inch adjustable wrench.
12-inch pry bar.
Utility knife with spare blades.
Magnetic holder to place the kit on the vehicle.
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #128 on: September 05, 2018, 04:08:53 PM
Yes, in conjunction with other tooling. And when did a bit on a Skeletool or a Res-Q-Me (of which I own several) become comparable to a heavy duty spring punch?

Edit: My first reply was quite a lot more snarky.  :P
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 04:10:42 PM by Steinar »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #129 on: September 05, 2018, 04:18:00 PM
Interesting... then even the RESQME won't work anymore (but the Vic Rescue Tool should still be good, just use the disc saw).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #130 on: September 05, 2018, 04:23:13 PM
Yes, in conjunction with other tooling. And when did a bit on a Skeletool or a Res-Q-Me (of which I own several) become comparable to a heavy duty spring punch?

After looking at E's video I think your post was actually more accurate.  :tu:  The ResQme didn't do a thing to the laminated glass.

I'm now
 wondering if my automatic center punch would be adequate.   
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 04:32:50 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #131 on: September 05, 2018, 04:49:43 PM

After looking at E's video I think your post was actually more accurate.  :tu:  The ResQme didn't do a thing to the laminated glass.

I'm now
Check your car window, it should be labeled if it is laminated or tempered

Also, I think the firefighter carry the punch for older cars and to make an initial hole into laminated glass, so they can use the saw.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #132 on: September 05, 2018, 05:08:29 PM
I'd agree the punch would be used on laminated glass as an access point for the saw.  My side windows are tempered.  Guess to be fully prepared one needs an assortment of breaching tools  :facepalm:.  Which is why I have resolved for my purposes to not think I can help in all situations.  I'd certainly do my best but a cell phone call to emergency services followed by my best efforts is where I land. 

Recently I happened upon a roll over.  It was a large SUV laying on its side.  There were several other vehicles who had stopped.  Thankfully a fire truck with paramedic vehicle was on scene.  I did wonder what help I could have offered had I been the first on scene. 

Thinking about the newer side laminated glass windows.  I would have attempted to breach the windows with my center punch and IF nothing happened  :dunno:.  I have other tools on my vehicle but I'd have to then run to get them. 

Very interest follow up to this thread fellas.  Glad this was all brought up.   :tu:.  Certainly gives us something more to consider.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline dkop1

• Acknowledged blade-aholic who isn't seeking help.
Reply #133 on: September 05, 2018, 05:52:40 PM

I'm now
Check your car window, it should be labeled if it is laminated or tempered

Also, I think the firefighter carry the punch for older cars and to make an initial hole into laminated glass, so they can use the saw.

That's indeed the reason. I'm not a firefighter but in my free time I am a rescue technician and that's what I was taught. Fortunately Ive never used that particular skill, but have been taught it if you can bust the window enough to punch a saw through, then you can cut an opening through the sheet of laminated shards.
"Have yourself a nice long rest and be back here in twelve minutes."
"All the good times, that's what I'll remember. I think there were three."

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #134 on: September 05, 2018, 06:55:24 PM
IIRC, up u itl this year most car windows are tempered, and most car front/back panel windows are laminated. :think:
Also, it's important to know that to break a window with a punch one should hit the sides/corners of the window, not the center   :salute:

good progress of this thread so far  :like:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%