Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your top brand

Corwyn · 71 · 2859

Poll

What are your top 3 brands that manufacture sharp stuff?

Bear & Son
1 (0.5%)
Benchmade
3 (1.5%)
Boker
2 (1%)
Buck
13 (6.3%)
Camillus
1 (0.5%)
Case
4 (1.9%)
Chris Reeve
0 (0%)
Cold Steel
5 (2.4%)
CRKT
2 (1%)
Emerson
0 (0%)
Ganzo
0 (0%)
Gerber
7 (3.4%)
Kershaw
4 (1.9%)
Leatherman
37 (18%)
Microtech
0 (0%)
Mora Frosts
15 (7.3%)
Opinel
8 (3.9%)
Sanrenmu
2 (1%)
Schrade
2 (1%)
SOG
3 (1.5%)
Spyderco
15 (7.3%)
Strider
0 (0%)
Svord
1 (0.5%)
Swiss+Tech
0 (0%)
Tramontina
0 (0%)
True Utility
0 (0%)
Victorinox
57 (27.7%)
Wenger
11 (5.3%)
Others (comment below)
5 (2.4%)
Becker
3 (1.5%)
Ka-Bar
1 (0.5%)
Esee
1 (0.5%)
Zero Tolerance
2 (1%)
Queen
0 (0%)
GEC
1 (0.5%)

Total Members Voted: 76

us Offline Yaesu Man

Re: Your top brand
Reply #30 on: October 06, 2015, 06:27:03 PM
I screwed up - thought we could edit our votes?  Dadgum it where's that stupid button?!?!?
"Remember, if the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy." - Red Green

"The Second Ammendment is the only thing keeping them from taking the First." - Phil Valentine

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: October 06, 2015, 06:34:21 PM
I think it got lost when I added new options... a mod should be fixing this soon..  :whistle:
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: October 06, 2015, 08:39:17 PM
Interesting thread Corwyn...great idea!  I really enjoy reading about people's perceptions to different blades.   :cheers:

For me, it's Vic SAKs and Bucks..I don't explore other mfgrs knives much, as I already spend my money and time on these and the MT's I like.

I don't see the "MTs" such as LM, Gerber, or SOG as really being blades.  Yes they have cutting edges, but I see their focus more on the versatile utility aspect anchored by the pliers foundation, so I personally didn't include them.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: October 06, 2015, 11:13:34 PM
zoidberg was here.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: October 06, 2015, 11:26:51 PM
No Ontario ?

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #35 on: October 06, 2015, 11:54:58 PM
Voted  :salute:.

For me:

First place:  Victorinox

Awesome tools, beautiful design, superbe fit and finish, and best value for money (at least here in Belgium, over here Leatherman tools are much more expensive than the ones from Victorinox).  And nothing beats the "wow-factor" of a Swisstool in my opinion.

Second place:  Leatherman

Great tools, I just love their "old" tools (like my '94 Supertool, my PST, My original Wave ...), and I'm quite fond of some of their new tools also, like my trusty ST300, the Rebar, the Surge and even the OHT.  I don't like the fact that the QC is going downhill, my first Rebar broke down after two days of taking pics (no real use), the replacement Rebar was badly misaligned (and from the 8 Rebars I checked out in the local shop, 5 of them had some kind of issue ...), my Charge TTi has the same ruler on both sides (I'm missing the part from 1cm to 10cm)...   And I don't like a lot of the new stuff they throw on the market.  Why come up with the Signal when so many of us are just waiting for a third generation Wave ...  ::)

Third place:  Mora

With Mora you get a lot of knife for very little money ...  Great design, simple, very usable, and not very scary or tactical looking.  Best camping knife I've owned so far.

ca Offline Dem

Reply #36 on: October 07, 2015, 12:08:24 AM
OK, so who was the second person guilty of voting for Sanrenmu? :).

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #37 on: October 07, 2015, 12:23:19 AM
Voted LM, Vic and Wenger in alphabetical order.

I like loads of other manufacturers but as I haven't been carrying single bladed folders for years, I'll stick to those 3.

Honorable mention goes to Mora. :hatsoff
You don't have KA-BAR on the list....?

Or folders only?

I meant to, but I took it out. If I am not mistaking, Ka-Bar is the name of a product type, not an actual brand.. this is why I didn't include Laguiole or Bowie or Navaja or Puukko... If you want to mark Ka-Bar as one of your faves, I suggest you tick the most famous Ka-Bar Manufacturers, be it Camillus or Case.
Ontario and Cutco also make Ka-Bar models, but I think they are a bit less popular than the list above and I didn't want to extend it too much... if you prefer those, put Other.

Skip that.. I'll add Becker too  :D

Huh?

Ka-bar isn't a model it's a brand. And Becker is a line made by that brand by the designer Ethan Becker.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: October 07, 2015, 02:06:40 AM

Wasn't me,but I was tempted :whistle:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #39 on: October 07, 2015, 03:07:49 AM
I collect Victorinox and Wenger, so they're 1 & 2. Also have a fair selection of Bucks, so they're third. Actually I have knives from over half those companies, as well as a number of companies not listed; Aitor, Fallkniven, Richartz, Henckels, Puma, etc. Lots of neat stuff out there.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: October 07, 2015, 03:14:16 AM
I collect Victorinox and Wenger, so they're 1 & 2. Also have a fair selection of Bucks, so they're third. Actually I have knives from over half those companies, as well as a number of companies not listed; Aitor, Fallkniven, Richartz, Henckels, Puma, etc. Lots of neat stuff out there.

+1  many European makers with long history

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: October 07, 2015, 03:18:06 AM

Wasn't me,but I was tempted :whistle:

I don't use it enough to make that vote, but interests me is that in 10-20 years time, will the landscape be similar to Flashlight landscape nowadays or will we see more Chinese blade users?  10-15 years back, it was all about SureFire, Priceton Tec, Maglites, various mods, etc....and long time ago, people were not fond of Japanese knives, and nowadays it seems acceptable.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #42 on: October 07, 2015, 03:21:59 AM
I voted Leatherman, Victorinox, and Spyderco.

Sad to say, outside of those, i think I might have only owned a handful of other items from the other listed companies, SOG probably foremost among them.

I had a little Buck I carried for years. it was a very handy and small little slip joint. Then a Spyderco Delica that i got rid of because I never used it (and it had a broken tip). I just don't use dedicated knives enough to justify carrying one. I literally never needed the Spyderco in the time I owned it, but apparently DID need a pry tool to loan out, because loaning my Delica to someone who used it to pry with was how it got broke. Ask me why I like SAKs with that nice strong flathead driver. :D

However, even though it's not MY thing, I'm glad there's so much quality stuff out there for others to choose from. :tu:

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #43 on: October 07, 2015, 03:43:31 AM
Kabar definitely is a brand name, they used to be Union Cutlery. Changed to Kabar many years ago. Also while Case does.has made a M2 style knife, they never made one for the military.
Perception is reality

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #44 on: October 07, 2015, 05:27:54 AM
That was hard.
First two was easy since I always EDC Victorinox and Leatherman.
I have one vote for "other".
I like Fällkniven but my last vote is for Al Mar which has a taste i really like. superb fit and finish. Blade shapes and grinds that cut like lasers. Steels that hold an edge great, VG10, but are easy to put fantastic edges on. They are also very nice looking.

image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 44.19 KB)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 05:34:54 AM by Mextreme »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #45 on: October 07, 2015, 03:21:11 PM
Sanrenmu voter here, and proud of it!!!!

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #46 on: October 08, 2015, 10:58:39 AM
Sanrenmu voter here, and proud of it!!!!

Randomly had one turn up here today.  :woohoo:

Offline NG VI

Reply #47 on: October 11, 2015, 01:30:13 AM
Aw man, I can't pick three of these  :ahhh :ahhh

Here's the problem. Top three fixed blade knives I'd want in my pack for general use, low maintenance (stainless), food safe (easy to clean), decent ergonomics, and not big budget but yet capable of more if things went awry, are as follows:

Cold Steel Roach Belly
Mora Hi Viz Companion
Boker + TUF

.... and I haven't picked a multitool yet  :ahhh

Clipped OHO non-locking folders:

Byrd and CRKT

.... still not picked a multitool

SAKs need to be mentioned, so that's Vic and Wenger, but Gerber and Leatherman both deserve a mention too....

It also should be noted that every single one of these manufacturers has A LOT of stuff I am not interested in. It's individual products that win me over, not the name that's on the side.

I think the most honest thing I can do is just tick "other" in the poll options, and state my reason as.....

I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO BRAND LOYALTY WHATSOEVER!  :cheers:
Why a non-locking folder, when your options could be so much broader?

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #48 on: October 11, 2015, 11:29:13 AM
Why a non-locking folder, when your options could be so much broader?

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

Pocket knives don't need locks, they slow me down, and I have had too many nicks and cuts CAUSED BY locks (specifically back locks and liner locks) where you have to put fingers or thumb in the path of the blade to release it. A lock often spoils what could be a very good knife, and in short I find them LESS safe.

With a non-locking folder, I can safely achieve everything that many people feel they need a locking blade for, including penetrating cuts or making a hole in something. If there is a task that I cannot achieve with a non-locking folder, then I need a fixed blade, not a folder that's pretending to be fixed.

I treat and handle lockers just the same way as slippies, and cannot recall a time when I was really glad the blade I was using locked, or wished I was using a locking blade instead. I see a dependence on locks as an impairment of knife skills, and see any use of a knife which relies on a lock as unsafe use of the knife.

YMMV  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #49 on: October 12, 2015, 07:06:19 AM
Ha! Victorinox wins by a landslide.

I "wasted" my #2 vote on Wenger. Didn't need to spend it there, since they are now under Vic.

Kershaw for the distant 3rd for me.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #50 on: October 12, 2015, 07:10:27 AM
Pocket knives don't need locks, they slow me down, and I have had too many nicks and cuts CAUSED BY locks (specifically back locks and liner locks) where you have to put fingers or thumb in the path of the blade to release it. A lock often spoils what could be a very good knife, and in short I find them LESS safe.

With a non-locking folder, I can safely achieve everything that many people feel they need a locking blade for, including penetrating cuts or making a hole in something. If there is a task that I cannot achieve with a non-locking folder, then I need a fixed blade, not a folder that's pretending to be fixed.

I treat and handle lockers just the same way as slippies, and cannot recall a time when I was really glad the blade I was using locked, or wished I was using a locking blade instead. I see a dependence on locks as an impairment of knife skills, and see any use of a knife which relies on a lock as unsafe use of the knife.

That is really a stretch, to suggest that lockers are more dangerous to oneself than a slippy. It is written to comfort yourself over your draconic knife laws there. I know others are thinking it, but don't want to say it, since you're such a popular bloke around here. But I have to call you on it.

Locking folders do a REALLY good impression of a fixed blade, or they wouldn't be so popular. The only drawback is that they're harder to clean.

When it comes right down to it, I usually prefer slippies too, but not because they are somehow inherently safer.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #51 on: October 12, 2015, 07:24:19 AM

That is really a stretch, to suggest that lockers are more dangerous to oneself than a slippy. It is written to comfort yourself over your draconic knife laws there. I know others are thinking it, but don't want to say it, since you're such a popular bloke around here. But I have to call you on it.

Locking folders do a REALLY good impression of a fixed blade, or they wouldn't be so popular. The only drawback is that they're harder to clean.

When it comes right down to it, I usually prefer slippies too, but not because they are somehow inherently safer.

Gee, that is about the most unkind thing I've heard said here in a while.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #52 on: October 12, 2015, 08:26:17 AM
Looking at the results, I would never really consider LM as a top cutting tools maker. 
It gets the votes because it has blades on its multitools, but you do not really buy a LM for its blade - the blade is a bonus  :D

50fttrad is popular??    :P :P   :D

The idea is that if you use a locking blade like a fixed blade you run the risk (small or large - depending on the maker/lock) that it may close on you. This mainly happens when people are trying to stab objects with a folding knife.
Also for some if they only use locking knives they may hurt themselves with a non locking knife.
If you are just cutting, by pushing the blade down then locking or non locking works - unless the blade gets stuck and folds on you when you pull it back. A lot has to do with what people are used to, looks etc.
Some non locking knives are more secure (GEC Beartraps) than others (and more dangerous if they fold on you - get one with a halfstop)

I use both types depending on how i feel like, but never trust any lock 100%
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: October 12, 2015, 08:37:21 AM

Wrong, actually! As a long time slip joint user, these are genuinely my views, and like I said I have never felt that locking blades give me personally any benefit, and are often more of a hinderance than a help.

I was asked why I prefer slippies, and I gave my explaination. You are more than welcome to disagree over tool preferences, but your xenophobic comments are wrong, unnecessary, and unwelcome.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #54 on: October 12, 2015, 09:24:39 AM
As a Norwegian, I feel I should mention Helle as well. They do some screw-ups from time to time, but they make knives that feel good in the hand, look good, and work well.

Are you trying to tell us they make a Helle of a good knife?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: October 12, 2015, 09:36:12 AM
 :facepalm: :D

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #56 on: October 12, 2015, 09:47:29 AM
As a Norwegian, I feel I should mention Helle as well. They do some screw-ups from time to time, but they make knives that feel good in the hand, look good, and work well.

And the Swedes are just trying to EKA out a few products.

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #57 on: October 12, 2015, 11:58:50 AM
But I forgotten to vote on 'Others', since I love the offerings from Enzo.  They produce decent quality product with Scandi grind, but still at reasonable prices(unlike most small production 'bushcraft' knives we see nowadays that always range from 200 usd and up)

Yes good call on Enzo.  I have a couple of their PK70 slipjoints and the quality of fit and finish is amazing.

At the other end of the scale I think Hultafors deserves an honourable mention, just for value.  You can find the Hultafors HVK, a perfectly reasonable carbon steel Mora-like, for £3 - £4.

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #58 on: October 12, 2015, 01:19:56 PM

And the Swedes are just trying to EKA out a few products.

A few?  MORA than you think.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #59 on: October 12, 2015, 01:46:39 PM
Look, Wenger you going to quit these jokes? I have Zero Tolerance for them. The Buck stops here, in my Opinelon. You had Becker quit it, or else!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 01:48:16 PM by Syncop8r »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD