Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Out of town and no multi tool

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
Out of town and no multi tool
on: November 18, 2015, 03:05:20 AM
 :ahhh
Decided to pack light as only out of town for a couple of days. I wasn't sure if I was going to check my bags on the plane so just took my CRKT KERT and P3 AFS and trit light.
First thing I did was go to a Military Surplus store only to be disappointed by RRP MT's. :facepalm:
I'm going to see if I can hold out a little longer. But I am having to eat like an animal.
I mean, the ability to use :multi: is the only thing that separates us from the apes.
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Re: Out of town and no multi tool
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 03:18:21 AM
OK, turn in your Man Card. You're on probation.  :twak:

Victorinox Jetsetter, Wenger Esquire Bladeless, Gerber Dime Travel, Gerber MP600 bladeless... there are tons of good options that are better than nothing.

Or maybe a lot of cheap used TSA-seized Vic Classics, and bury one under your electric shaver in your bag and take your chances...
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 03:42:23 AM
 :pok: I'm still gun-shy after loosing my LM Style PS at airport security. And really its my Spyderco H1 Salt FE I am missing as much as anything. :drink:
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

00 Offline Multi-tool-fool

Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 04:33:13 AM
With checked baggage you should be able to take any tool with you.  I do it all the time including overseas travel.  Easy for me to do because I'm traveling on Uncle Sam's dime.  If I had to pay my own checked bag fees I might reconsider if the cost exceeds the value of the tool. Also have to consider the tool has to get there and back. 

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 06:26:35 AM
I feel your pain. Even the safe to travel with tools might be a risk for some "security" agents
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 07:18:56 AM
This is why I hate flying anymore.  Every time I fly I have to check my bag because I simply won't go without my MT and SAK.  That, and where I fly to most often, it's not much longer to drive once you count travel time to and from both airports, security(ludicrous in this day and age), and layover time. 

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 12:29:38 PM
Last time I flew was ~2 years ago. I had to go with carry on only due to length of trip and company footing the bill (no way was I paying extra to check 1 small bag). I left my SAK and MT behind and boy did I feel lost without them. There were a few times that I was wishing I had brought something to cover my bases. When I got back, I was walking around with loaded pockets for a week to make up for it.

The upside was that another older gentleman on the course had a well older, well used SAK in a nice basketweave leather pouch on his belt. I spotted it immediately, almost like my eye was drawn to it in the room full of strangers. We struck up a good friendship for the week I was there.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 12:31:30 PM by Toolslinger »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD