Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

why is the compact so expensive?

Zed · 47 · 6616

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Re: why is the compact so expensive?
Reply #30 on: October 12, 2015, 01:20:47 AM
Despite its higher price, I think the compact is still the most sold SAK in Europe

I don't think that's so surprising Luna.  Keep in mind, it's a 2-layer knife that no longer has a comparable 84mm version offered.  Many people who aren't as into SAKs as this community find a thinner tool more pocketable...they get a very useful blade, an opener, scissors, a corkscrew, pen, and a pin (sorry to everybody, but I don't acknowledge the hook as a useful tool)...all for about $30-$45, depending on where you purchase.

I know that many our our community don't like/don't prefer the combo opener because it's not as solid for prying as a typical opener layer, but for the general public, it's probably just fine...it is for me...but I generally know what I'm doing with the multitools that I use.   I carry both 84 and 91mm Golfers (pre Compacts) regularly, and I have a Compact mod that I'm also playing with.

I like the Compact, but I don't like the increased price valuation compared to what you can find for a Climber or SuperTinker.  Comparatively, a new Compact isn't worth it to somebody like me...I only purchase used ones.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: October 12, 2015, 03:20:21 AM
Nothing to add except I hate threads with no pictures.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: October 12, 2015, 08:23:45 AM
Despite its higher price, I think the compact is still the most sold SAK in Europe

Nee.. not even close, based on what I talked with distributors... and based on what I pick up on Airport auctions and see with other people and on second hand places...
Top should be Spartan, Tinker, Climber, Camper, Classic, miles ahead of everything else.
Note that most people (me included at first) when buying a new sak count tools and compare prices. The Compact falls short there. Also, everything has Philips screws in Europe and the Compact has 0 Philips capacity...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: October 12, 2015, 02:18:11 PM
Very nice HarleyXJGuy   :drool:

so seems a few of us do think the compacts over priced,i would definitely have a super tinker over a compact any day,plus might just me being tight,but i like value for money and the compact as much as i would like one fails for me  :-\

de Offline windson

• Observe - Evaluate - Control

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #35 on: October 12, 2015, 05:52:40 PM
As long as you have some room, the combo tool actually works better on Phillips screws than you might expect.  This was a pleasant surprise.  That said I never carry the Compact.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: October 12, 2015, 07:52:53 PM
Does anyone have one of these:
http://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=DofE+Pocket+Tool

Amazon UK has it, but it can't be shipped to the US.  :( It is similar to the compact, except it has a rounded blade and phillips instead of a corkscrew.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: October 12, 2015, 08:04:58 PM

Amazon UK has it, but it can't be shipped to the US.  :( It is similar to the compact, except it has a rounded blade and phillips instead of a corkscrew.

Go outdoors had them, think they was around £25

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: October 12, 2015, 08:08:31 PM
 :rant:

:D
1.JPG
* 1.JPG (Filesize: 147.46 KB)

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #39 on: October 12, 2015, 08:52:13 PM
Everytime i see a compact i think too myself that fitted with a phillips it could be a handy sak for me...

I have one that I got in trade with the Phillips and reamer on the back; it is brilliant. A compact Super Tinker. I do miss the better screwdriver on the bottle opener sometimes though.

but it could be me but they seem expensive, usually over £30,i know they have plus scales and the little mini driver,but compared too the price of a waiter (no scissors or plus scales etc) they seem a lot,what are your thoughts, :-\
Yeah, Plus scales and a little 'supply and demand' factor, I think  ::)
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: October 12, 2015, 09:12:54 PM

I've got three of them. Nice little SAK,makes for a great light urban carry :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #41 on: October 13, 2015, 05:07:02 PM
I like the Compact, but I don't like the increased price valuation compared to what you can find for a Climber or SuperTinker.  Comparatively, a new Compact isn't worth it to somebody like me...I only purchase used ones.

You know, if I purchase ANY SAK with a scissors, I'm very careful. I got a couple from ebay, and people just WRECK the scissors. Grinding an angle on the flat side ruins them quickly. Needing a replacement scissor spring makes it cost more than a new one, unless you keep a supply of scissor springs on hand. If the pivot is a riveted type and loose, that wrecks them too.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

de Offline windson

• Observe - Evaluate - Control
Reply #42 on: October 15, 2015, 10:21:58 PM
The aforementioned Compact arrived today and also, the old Champion that cost only half as much...

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: October 15, 2015, 10:40:58 PM
The aforementioned Compact arrived today and also, the old Champion that cost only half as much...

(Image removed from quote.)

:salute: love the old Champion  :drool:

id Offline classicrock

• With every mistake we must surely be learning
Reply #44 on: October 19, 2015, 03:24:27 AM
Yes I do agree that the Compact is expensive. I bought it around USD 31, compared to the Black Alox Pioneer w/ Red Shield which cost USD 35 here. I wish the Compact have the awl and phillips screwdriver, but I always pair it with a Spirit.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #45 on: October 19, 2015, 04:41:28 AM
Yep, the Compact is certainly expensive for what you get.  I have to say though, I've been rethinking my EDC needs, and for what I deal with during the course of a normal day, the Compact is perfect. :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: October 19, 2015, 08:59:23 PM
Yep, the Compact is certainly expensive for what you get.  I have to say though, I've been rethinking my EDC needs, and for what I deal with during the course of a normal day, the Compact is perfect. :tu:

sound perfect tom  :salute: now i need one with a phillips instead of cs  :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD