Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who else likes the "clump"?

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Who else likes the "clump"?
on: January 18, 2007, 12:07:18 AM
I come on here and other sites all the time and hear people complain about the clumping of this multitool, or the clumping of that multitool.... how it needs to be fixed. Honestly, I LIKE the clumping! I mean, I'm looking for a tool, and there they are, all of them on that handle. All I have to do is pull one out and they all make themselves known. It's never been an issue for me. After all, it's not like it's hard to just push the others back in once you've selected the one you want. I understand how it may annoy alot of people, but I personally don't mind. I don't mind a loose multitool either. I like being able to flick it open one handed, as long as the intergrity of the tool isn't compromised. Anyone else like a well used, loose, clumpy, easy to get to tool?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Who else likes the "clump"?
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 12:41:03 AM
I don't really mind the clumping too much.  I did at first but with it being such a common problem, I just got used to it.

The bit that concerns me most about clumping is the sharp tools that are often in that clump.  If someone needs a tool for something and their attention is fixated on something else, they could quite easily perform some inadvertent surgery.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 03:18:24 AM
I carried an original PST around for so long that I just got used to it too. It's simply not an issue with me.

However, I do tip my hat to the efforts that some companies have put into eliminating the clump. The tabbed washers on Gerber tools is clever engineering. The individual backsprings on Victorinox tools is exquisite manufacturing.

~Bob
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Cheviot

Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 11:26:47 AM
I am 4 months down the road from my Supertool 200, replaced with a Core after it left a job site?, and I still "miss" folding the blades back in, I don't know why ???

Rob
S

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 01:23:08 PM
I'm spoiled.  My first multitool was the Spirit which, as most of you know, doesn't clump.  I can easily see what tool I'm accessing on the Spirit, so there's no need to have them all pull out of the handle at once to choose one.  I don't mind a little looseness, but a tool that continually gets looser is a sign of poor construction, IMO.
- Terry

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 04:38:08 PM
Clumping is not an issue we me either, but due to complaints from the consumer base companies try and make thier tool unclump. I love my SOG's and older Leathermans Just as much as the new stuff that doesn't clump. How the tools come out doesn't make the tool, it's just part of the overall package. Clumping in my mind can't "make or break" a design. It is ingenius though how some companies are finding ways to counter act the clump....

David

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 08:52:31 PM
It depends on how much effort it requires to separate the wanted blade from the unwanted one.

Schrade Tough (to Open) Tool: Worst offender.  The blades were too tight to open easily and clumped together badly despite cleaning and lubrication. Riveted construction prevented adjustment.

Original Leatherman SuperTool: clumping is mildly annoying, but I am willing to put up with it because the tool is excellent in most other respects.

SOG PowerLock S60: tools clump slightly after adjustment enabled by the bolted construction.

Victorinox SwissTool and Spirit: no clumping -- pleasure to use.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline damota

Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 10:59:44 PM
I like the exact oposite to you. For years I sed a Gerber MP600 that I made so loose on the handle that if I slide the Saf-T-Lock back the tool drop to the half way position and then with very little dexterity the one I want canbe moved forward to use while the others are slid back, all done with one hand.
I recently got the Freehand and it does not let me do that so I am after a Diesel now and by the time I am finnished with it, it will.  ;)

Dave

Offline spunkyruss

Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 11:18:16 PM
I generally prefer tools on which the implements clump.  In my experience, the alternatives are tools on which the implements are overly difficult to open.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%