Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Warranty Update

Offline Mike D

Re: Vic Warranty Update
Reply #30 on: August 27, 2008, 06:27:20 AM
I've only heard about something like this on Bob's PST.. I've abused LM's for a long time and I have never had a pivot become loose and sloppy.. You really have to chill with this! It's just a little play that doesn't effect function!

I disagree that it doesn't affect its function, Max and I have both stated cases where is does affect function. Sorry if this is rubbing people the wrong way talking down their messiah of a Multi, but others should know that this tool isn't the perfect Swiss timepiece that some around here make it out to be.

Alls I can say is I have around twenty Leathermans, some of them being over 15 years old and used hard, none of them, and I mean none have loose plier head issues like both my ST's do. And just like Max, both my ST's came loose right out of the box and both have gotten steadily worse.

I just think the praise that gets heaped on the ST's around here needs a little reality injected into it. This tool is great don't get me wrong, but it does have this one major flaw that people should know about before they buy it.

What makes you so sure its a fault ? They still work dont they ? Mine all cut thin wire . I once had a LM PST who's jaws were so loose that you could rotate the pivot pin with your finger and thumb .
 I dont see it as a major problem .

Dunc

I do see it as a major problem, seems to me many people on here have the same plier head problem, only difference being is how bad the pivot has become. Comparing a ST to a PST really isn't fair now is it? I mean if we want to make plier head comparisons between the two manufactures lets talk tools in the same class, like Surges/Core's vs. ST's. This is a way more valid comparison in my book.

I have two ST's, an X which is almost unusable do to plier pivot looseness, and the other a three or four month old RS which isn't as bad yet but seems to be getting there.

The pivot on the X is so bad that when you try and close the head the wire cutters actually make contact with each other preventing closing till you kind of shift them to one side with your finger. I don't know about you guys but to me this is a defect.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 06:30:19 AM by Mike D »

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: August 27, 2008, 04:09:34 PM
I think you are moving the handles to check for the pivot looseness and it gets worse every time you check.. If you leave it alone, and you don't jiggle the handles to see if their is any pivot play it won't get that bad!
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #32 on: August 27, 2008, 09:54:43 PM
I think you are moving the handles to check for the pivot looseness and it gets worse every time you check.. If you leave it alone, and you don't jiggle the handles to see if their is any pivot play it won't get that bad!

Sorry, but I have to chime in here.

I am a swisstool fan as you all know, but if someone told me that checking for pivot play actually damaged the pivot I would be put off as the pivot should be able to cope with far more abuse than that.
I'm back!!

Offline Mike D

Reply #33 on: August 28, 2008, 02:55:17 AM

Sorry, but I have to chime in here.

I am a swisstool fan as you all know, but if someone told me that checking for pivot play actually damaged the pivot I would be put off as the pivot should be able to cope with far more abuse than that.

LOL! I have to agree. Its not like I am sitting around tweaking them to see if I can make them worse or measuring them to see if they have. I use them day in and day out just like all the rest of my tools, pulling staples, cutting open boxes, and like right now, opening my beer. :cheers:

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #34 on: August 31, 2008, 07:52:56 PM
I've only heard about something like this on Bob's PST.. I've abused LM's for a long time and I have never had a pivot become loose and sloppy.. You really have to chill with this! It's just a little play that doesn't effect function!

I disagree that it doesn't affect its function, Max and I have both stated cases where is does affect function. Sorry if this is rubbing people the wrong way talking down their messiah of a Multi, but others should know that this tool isn't the perfect Swiss timepiece that some around here make it out to be.

Alls I can say is I have around twenty Leathermans, some of them being over 15 years old and used hard, none of them, and I mean none have loose plier head issues like both my ST's do. And just like Max, both my ST's came loose right out of the box and both have gotten steadily worse.

I just think the praise that gets heaped on the ST's around here needs a little reality injected into it. This tool is great don't get me wrong, but it does have this one major flaw that people should know about before they buy it.

What makes you so sure its a fault ? They still work dont they ? Mine all cut thin wire . I once had a LM PST who's jaws were so loose that you could rotate the pivot pin with your finger and thumb .
 I dont see it as a major problem .

Dunc

I do see it as a major problem, seems to me many people on here have the same plier head problem, only difference being is how bad the pivot has become. Comparing a ST to a PST really isn't fair now is it? I mean if we want to make plier head comparisons between the two manufactures lets talk tools in the same class, like Surges/Core's vs. ST's. This is a way more valid comparison in my book.

I have two ST's, an X which is almost unusable do to plier pivot looseness, and the other a three or four month old RS which isn't as bad yet but seems to be getting there.

The pivot on the X is so bad that when you try and close the head the wire cutters actually make contact with each other preventing closing till you kind of shift them to one side with your finger. I don't know about you guys but to me this is a defect.

It certainly does sound like a defect . I'd send it back .

Dunc

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD