Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Talk me out of buying a Swisschamp

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Talk me out of buying a Swisschamp
Reply #60 on: October 15, 2015, 03:39:43 PM
I like the scaler.  The fish scaler is an great pokey, forkey, backscratchery tool.  It's like the hook;  it's a tool with lots of uses if you put your mind to it.

We all know you should get a swisshcamp. It's *the* iconic SAK.  But I'll throw up some arguments against it:

1. Why carry a file and saw when you don't use them every day? If the only time I use a saw is at home then I'll use a dedicated tool over a SAK. A SAK is for when I'm away from home and tools.

2. Take a look at the Craftsman or Handyman: same tool load minus the mag glass, inline driver, and scaler. Those two models would be lighter than a swisschamp while offering just about as much utility.

3. Weight. Almost 7 ounces of steel in your pocket gets heavy for some people. See #2 above. A Craftsman or Handyman are about 1 1/2 ounces lighter which translates into a noticeable difference when carried in the pocket.

.... and that' about the only arguments I have against one.

Well lets see.

1. Hahaha are you joking? I thought most of us go out of our way to use our MTs, I know I do. Saw is the tool I want the most over the loadout of my custom CT.

2. While this is true I really want to carry a mag glass until the Army gets around to fixing my eye.

3. Weight is no issue for me. Been carrying a larger CT in my pocket for about a week and I like the feel of it there.

Good try though I appreciate the effort.

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #61 on: October 15, 2015, 08:35:08 PM
You have clearly passed the line of no return.
I have learned to understand when that line is passed and just give in and order the damn thing and get over with it.
It´s not worth arguing with yourself. How could possibly reason and common sense win over the nagging feeling you are "missing" something. How can you ever be complete without a fish scaler?
What kind of a multitool freak are you without the overloaded Swisschamp. How can you deny your friends and loved once rolling their eyes when you haul that beast out of your pocket to open a letter?

Good luck Harley!  :rofl:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #62 on: October 15, 2015, 10:11:46 PM
You have clearly passed the line of no return.
I have learned to understand when that line is passed and just give in and order the damn thing and get over with it.
It´s not worth arguing with yourself. How could possibly reason and common sense win over the nagging feeling you are "missing" something. How can you ever be complete without a fish scaler?
What kind of a multitool freak are you without the overloaded Swisschamp. How can you deny your friends and loved once rolling their eyes when you haul that beast out of your pocket to open a letter?

Good luck Harley!  :rofl:

To late, I gave in about 25 posts ago lol.

Offline hemdale

• New User
Reply #63 on: October 18, 2015, 11:17:09 AM
Hi guys,

Haven't been much on your forum buy really like it so far.

I have a Leatherman Wave which I absolutely love and also a SwissChamp.

Love the SC as well but two things are bothering me a bit:

- Fish descaler is (at least for me) totally useless.
- pliers on the SwissChamp cannot be activated with as much strenght as with the Leatherman Wave.

For me, the swisschamp id a good outdoor companion for light duty tasks. Congrats for your purchase !

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #64 on: October 18, 2015, 12:06:06 PM
I'm going with Shamus and I'm sticking up for the fishscaler. With halloween round the corner there's surely no better way for kids to carve a pumpkin without taking bits of themselves at the same time ?
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #65 on: October 18, 2015, 04:15:50 PM
Thats a great use of the scaler.  I use mine as a general scraping tool.  There was some soap buildup in my dishwashing machine at the soap cup.  Being plastic I didn't want to scrape with anything sharp so fish scaler it was. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #66 on: October 18, 2015, 04:22:00 PM
I love my fish scaler. It's great for scratching itches since it's sharp but not too sharp to cut one's self :tu:
SAW

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #67 on: October 18, 2015, 05:14:24 PM
It is what it is, a classic Vic/Wenger tool....SAK folks generally find cool uses for it or mod it off and move on. I have no prob with it (this coming from a guy that has actually owns a knife with a spatula and found a use for it).  :facepalm:

added pic  (which I forgot)  :facepalm:
Snack time will the XLT.jpg
* Snack time will the XLT.jpg (Filesize: 141.4 KB)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 05:34:09 PM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #68 on: October 18, 2015, 05:25:05 PM
It is what it is, a classic Vic/Wenger tool....SAK folks generally find cool uses for it or mod it off and move on. I have no prob with it (this coming from a guy that has actually owns a knife with a spatula and found a use for it).  :facepalm:

Next up, Victorinox patents the in-line spork  :think:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #69 on: October 18, 2015, 05:34:54 PM

Next up, Victorinox patents the in-line spork  :think:

:rofl:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #70 on: October 18, 2015, 06:17:08 PM
Hi guys,

- pliers on the SwissChamp cannot be activated with as much strenght as with the Leatherman Wave.

For me, the swisschamp id a good outdoor companion for light duty tasks. Congrats for your purchase !

Fish scaler, here is the ways I have used it.

as a touchscreen input device on a scanenr we have that tries to fit a QWERTY keyboard into a 3 inch wide area.  the scaler is thin enough at the end, that I can see around it to know what I am hitting, fine enough to only touch one key at a time, and smooth enough not to damage the screen.

I have used it as a cable manipulation tool, to move things around in areas I cannot access with my hands.

it can be used as a range finder

back scratch-er

pumpkin carver

it actually is good at assisting on removing a hook from a fishes mouth

I have removed the scales from a fish with it when out camping.

I have used it to draw a line a set distance from the edge of a piece of wood  (see 18b below)

a ruler.

If I can help, let me know 

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #71 on: October 18, 2015, 06:57:24 PM
Hi guys,

First off  welcome to the forum.   :cheers:

As others have posted the fish scaler can have some practical uses, from range finder to ruler to small straight edge to paint can opener, etc.  You just need to think outside the box.

I agree with you as it is a great companion tool to a MT like a Wave, Surge or whichever MT you have.  The pliers worked well if you consider them Super Tweezers for tough splinters sor small pulling type tasks.  Again, just think outside the box and the more you carry the SC, the chances are you can and will come up with other uses for many different tools.

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #72 on: October 18, 2015, 09:42:58 PM
And that's the thing once you've a SC the more you carry it the more you find you can do with it. Fisher scaler or not  :tu:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #73 on: October 19, 2015, 02:33:49 AM
The other  :think:  about the fish scaler for me is... I grew up in northern ontario where going fishing was a 2-3 times a week activity.  We never scaled fish, we removed the skin, so Im not even sure exactly what type of fish people descale and eat?
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #74 on: October 19, 2015, 03:15:04 AM
The other  :think:  about the fish scaler for me is... I grew up in northern ontario where going fishing was a 2-3 times a week activity.  We never scaled fish, we removed the skin, so Im not even sure exactly what type of fish people descale and eat?

for me it was blue gill, crappie, perch, bass  for fresh water, and spot and a few others for Salt water
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #75 on: October 19, 2015, 03:26:22 AM

for me it was blue gill, crappie, perch, bass  for fresh water, and spot and a few others for Salt water

Same here!!  :tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: October 19, 2015, 04:02:41 AM
All this swisschamp talk has me eyeing a sapphire one :drool:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #77 on: October 19, 2015, 05:28:38 AM

In my family, (Chinese wife) we eat the skin and fat no matter WHAT kind of fish it is. But we never eat the scales. When we buy fish, we ask the butcher to descale it. So the fish scaler would be more for if you were camping and were eating the fish you'd caught that day.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #78 on: October 19, 2015, 05:33:17 AM
Hi guys,

Welcome to MTo, hemdale.

...unless you're going to both introduce yourself AND retire with that one post...  :pok:
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #79 on: October 19, 2015, 10:23:46 PM
I didnt even bother too promt you too get a sc HarleyXJGuy, i knew you would get one,i mean why wouldnt you  :tu: as taxidad told me,everyone should have a sc  :salute:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #80 on: October 20, 2015, 12:06:56 AM
...there we go,we can blame TD :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #81 on: October 20, 2015, 02:43:27 AM
I admit, I don't use the fish scaler much, maybe a few times on striped bass, but I use the hook remover every time I go fishing (if I actually catch anything). I have mostly fished for trout over the years, and I have used the hook remover enough to prefer it over pliers by a longshot, it just works.  :)

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: October 20, 2015, 01:49:09 PM
I think it's pretty fun that every time the fish scaler discussions get started, usually nobody mentions using it as a ruler, its other obvious intended use. (Never used it as a ruler myself, but still...)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #83 on: October 20, 2015, 01:56:48 PM

wish he was around more  :-\
index-64.jpeg
* index-64.jpeg (Filesize: 101.37 KB)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #84 on: October 20, 2015, 02:34:21 PM

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #85 on: October 20, 2015, 02:37:16 PM

wish he was around more  :-\
Zed, if you amend your cup to read 'Taxi Dad Rules' maybe he'll come back. That might be all it takes.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #86 on: October 21, 2015, 10:38:44 PM
I am out in the woods doing Army training for 11 days and seeing how my SC had not arrived I decided to carry my Champion Plus.

Been getting a ton of use on cord, MRE's, branches, boxes and the like. What a great tool.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #87 on: October 21, 2015, 10:46:17 PM
I am out in the woods doing Army training for 11 days and seeing how my SC had not arrived I decided to carry my Champion Plus.

Been getting a ton of use on cord, MRE's, branches, boxes and the like. What a great tool.

Just curious about the lack of pliers (super tweezers)!  Have you came across anything that you needed the pliers yet out there in training?  :)

I see in your signature that you have a Workchamp!  That would have been a nice tool to take with you!   :tu:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 10:50:24 PM by sir_mike »

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #88 on: October 22, 2015, 12:49:01 AM

Just curious about the lack of pliers (super tweezers)!  Have you came across anything that you needed the pliers yet out there in training?  :)

I see in your signature that you have a Workchamp!  That would have been a nice tool to take with you!   :tu:

Oh yes the Workchamp would have been nice but the only pliers job so far was opening ammo boxes. A full size pliers job for sure.

Nothing my the Surge in my pack couldn't handle though.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #89 on: October 22, 2015, 01:14:29 AM
If your new toy isn't there today, it should be tomorrow. :tu:  It shipped Monday, sent you tracking.  Enjoy it!
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%