Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Joys of Nuclear Fallout

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
on: October 15, 2015, 06:14:34 PM
I have been working on a variety of 'preps' for various possible problems. I have tried my level best to make these 'reality based'. Contingencies that are actually LIKELY to happen should be planned for LONG before less likely events.

Nuclear attack, and more honestly fallout, was really low on my list. The odds of a nuclear strike near where I live may not be totally unreasonable in the event of a war, but St. Louis is not a great strike location for terrorists, IMO. So... not a lot of fear on my part.

Until...

Well, apparently there's a landfill on the other side of St. Louis that's on fire. Underground fires in landfills aren't that uncommon, and not usually a terrible problem...

Except...

There's a bunch of nuclear waste from the Manhattan Project buried there. Should the fire reach the contaminated soil, it could eject Thorium and other radioactive elements into the air. I have been told the fallout radius is about 20 miles. I live about 25 miles from the site. Due East of it.

Let's say I have some 'mild concerns' about this.

https://www.rt.com/usa/318061-nuclear-waste-fire-stlouis/

no Offline Grathr

Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 06:27:25 PM
That sucks!

Im no radiation expert, but from the top of my head, Id get a good supply of clean water, a gas mask and iodide tablets. And generally be ready to leave on short notice.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: The Joys of Nuclear Fallout
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 06:35:41 PM
Wow, that's a little scary. :o
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline anon

Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 10:03:22 PM
Shouldn't most of that waste be inert by now?

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 10:37:11 PM
 :o

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 10:39:36 PM
That waste shouldn't even be radioactive anymore...
SAW

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 10:52:31 PM
That waste shouldn't even be radioactive anymore...

Well... it is. There are elevated levels of radiation in the vegetation in the area, and everyone acknowledges and agrees that if the fire reaches it, it will absolutely cause fallout.

The exact elements and isotopes involved are not known to me (and I'm too lazy to go digging to find a list), but it's absolutely still a hazard.

Half lives of Thorium isotopes range between 25 hours (long past) to 14 BILLION years (as in, NEVER going to go away).

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 11:00:44 PM
That sucks... maybe with the advance warning something can be done to prevent a fallout  ???
SAW

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 11:56:35 PM
Iodine has a short half life and is only produced in reactors. You do not need tablets. Dispersion of radioactive materials will depend on various factors, like wind and deposition will depend on other factors like rain. The whole scenario looks weird. I know the topic well.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 05:33:13 AM

Lynn, I sure hope the local media will continue to cover story like this, this kind of problem may not affect people's lives drastically overnight, but will definitely have a long term impact.

That sucks!

Im no radiation expert, but from the top of my head, Id get a good supply of clean water, a gas mask and iodide tablets. And generally be ready to leave on short notice.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk

Iodine has a short half life and is only produced in reactors. You do not need tablets. Dispersion of radioactive materials will depend on various factors, like wind and deposition will depend on other factors like rain. The whole scenario looks weird. I know the topic well.

My initial thoughts are exactly like Grathr, but I wonder how much use is iodine tabs and are they only good for specific kind of radiation problems?  Anyone more experienced can share under what circumstances are they useful and should be taken?

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 07:40:04 AM
We got through the Chernobyl explosion...
Pretty much everybody who was at the seaside that week got cancer, including my best friend back than...  :-\
If the authorities would have said what happened and how bad it was, thousands of lives would have been saved, but we found out what happened after three days...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 09:37:35 AM
Another reason not to like nuclear energy.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 10:33:44 AM
I am truly sorry to hear that you are potentially in the path. 
I've been hearing about this for a few weeks. I've heard people calling DLeosh's radio show about how there's been little real response to the threat and that it turns out "nuclear disaster" is not covered by most homeowners insurance.
From the article you posted it seem the agencies in charge are more interested in paperwork and fines toward the company that owns it than figuring out how to stop it. And that's just putting the cart before the horse.
That landfill and coal mine mentioned at the end of the article...Its still burning after 53 years, I grew up hearing about it. Sad to say I doubt this will be resolved any quicker. Especially since its already been 5 years since this one started, and its only now we notice. And how soon before we forget and it slips out of the news cycle, that reactor in japan is still leaking into the pacific after all. We just don't hear about it any more, like that's going to fix it.
I am sorry for your situation and to be such a downer here, but there really isn't much more to do beyond making an evac plan and calls to your insurance company and a good realtor.

centrellia, pa still burning after 53yrs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 10:55:17 AM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 11:07:20 AM
On the bright side, X-Men could become a reality. :D :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Wx230gYJw

Monty Python - Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 06:42:01 PM

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline David

Reply #15 on: October 18, 2015, 07:30:16 AM
You might want to consider this stuff . I use it once in a while along with other things to help keep the crude cleaned out.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 03:53:53 PM
We are talking ionizing radiation, so if we are talking nasty dosages, dosimeter stickers can be had for a USD 5-10. I'd be tempted to stick one somewhere outside, away from the sun. The problem is, those are typically meant for far higher dosages than I expect you to experience, even if some problem develops. It will tell you if something really nasty has happened, though.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 02:41:12 AM
In the event anyone cares about this, HBO has a Documentary on the landfill I talked about in the first post called 'Atomic Homefront', which is free to watch till March 18 (2018)

https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/atomic-homefront

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 03:07:23 AM
In the event anyone cares about this, HBO has a Documentary on the landfill I talked about in the first post called 'Atomic Homefront', which is free to watch till March 18 (2018)

https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/atomic-homefront

I'll try to watch that later, got to reset my VPN, that's very scary to have on your doorstep.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 03:52:19 AM
I recorded the documentary last week and haven't had a chance to watch yet.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 07:43:13 AM
Not that it helps you, but we're a nuclear-free zone here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_nuclear-free_zone

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 02:37:31 PM
Half lives of Thorium isotopes range between 25 hours (long past) to 14 BILLION years (as in, NEVER going to go away).

The thing is that elements with longer half lives are also a lot less radioactive. All elements have a half life (well, maybe there is some magic around the iron where fission and fusion meet? I don't remember anymore...) but most don't emit much radiation.  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 03:04:42 PM

The thing is that elements with longer half lives are also a lot less radioactive. All elements have a half life (well, maybe there is some magic around the iron where fission and fusion meet? I don't remember anymore...) but most don't emit much radiation.  :D
Yup, it’s the short lived isotopes you have to watch out for.

The most dangerous radiation-emitting thing that came out of Chernobyl was iodine 131, and since it has a half life of 8 days, it’s VERY radioactive but it disappears quickly.

It’s in this sort of scenario(radioactive iodine on the loose) that taking iodine tablets can prevent radiation induced cancer, by stuffing your body full with non-radioactive iodine so that the radioactive iodine doesn’t accumulate, I think.  :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 05:43:48 AM
It took me days to get through the documentary, because it just made me so insanely angry and sad.

It's really a nightmare scenario for the folks in Bridgeton. I have very little to worry about, but they have that stuff contaminating their neighborhoods.

A report on the statistical rates of cancer for the zip codes in that area...
http://health.mo.gov/living/healthcondiseases/chronic/cancerinquiry/pdf/ccanalysisSept2014.pdf

I'm just... kind of at a loss for words.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 09:31:40 AM
Makes me think of the “triangle of death” in Italy.  :rant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_of_death_(Italy)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 09:44:45 PM
It took me days to get through the documentary, because it just made me so insanely angry and sad.

It's really a nightmare scenario for the folks in Bridgeton. I have very little to worry about, but they have that stuff contaminating their neighborhoods.

A report on the statistical rates of cancer for the zip codes in that area...
http://health.mo.gov/living/healthcondiseases/chronic/cancerinquiry/pdf/ccanalysisSept2014.pdf

I'm just... kind of at a loss for words.

I just watched this and like you I'm a bit at a loss of what to say.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%