Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

5.11 Rush 24 First looks, review, and updates.

detron · 17 · 8058

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
5.11 Rush 24 First looks, review, and updates.
on: October 18, 2015, 03:39:54 AM
So I decided I NEEDED anther back pack.  I love my Maxpedition Lunada, but it is too small for a laptop, so I thought I would buy myself another "tactical" backpack.  I searched around the internet and decided on the 5.11 Rush 24 in black.  I like Maxpedition gear, but them do not do as good IMO on internal organization.  they are however, ready to sell you pouches to organize things.  I thought I would try a 5.11 tactical, since i like their pants so much.  I carry a 15" laptop, and I wanted to have room to carry different load-outs with and without the laptop.

So lets check this thing out here in part 1,  part two I hope to measure every pocket as best as I can.

5.11 Tactical's own description
Show content
PURPOSE BUILT
Our most popular tactical backpack, the RUSH24™ is designed to provide superior storage capacity and organization without slowing you down. The roomy main compartment offers three interior mesh organizer pockets to keep small accessories organized, a padded hydration pocket keeps you moving, and a fleece-lined sunglass pocket keeps your eyewear within easy reach. Dual side storage compartments offer double-zip access, a large stuff-it pocket with an integrated draw cord provides expandable storage when you need it, and contoured compression straps ensure a stable, comfortable carry. A wrap-around web platform is MOLLE/5.11 SlickStick® System compatible, allowing you to customize your storage options as you see fit. Easily the best tactical backpack choice for a wide range of applications, the RUSH24 combines superior mobility and enhanced storage with customizable functionality that excels in any environment.

OVERVIEW:
Quite simply the best tactical backpack on the market
Roomy main storage area
Dual zipping side pockets
Hydration pocket
Stuff-it pocket with integrated draw cord
Reinforced grab-and-go handle
Wrap-around MOLLE/SlickStick web platform
Three mesh admin compartments
Zippered fleece-lined eyewear pocket
Hook and loop nametape and flag patches

SPECIFICATIONS:
Durable1050D nylon
Water-repellant coating
20" H x 12.5" L x 8" D main compartment
12.5” x 11” x 2” front pocket
18” x 12.5” 2 liter hydration pocket
2275 cubic inch / 37 liter total capacity
Adjustable height sternum strap
Two external compression straps
Contoured yoke shoulder strap system
Twin drainage grommets
Self-repairing YKK® zippers
Glove-friendly pull tabs

the top pocket area is actually two pockets that are mirror images of each other and I like this design, though some people would rather have one larger pocket.

I can fit a Galaxy S5 with a case into this pocket

I can also put it into the back pocket inside this area

the mesh are also would be great for cables, but as a scale item, I though a 95mm 2 layer SAK into

the other side has a mirrored pocket.

the bottom "admin area" is rather large, and has some nice organizational touches added.

There are two pockets that are on the inside of the outside flap of the admin area.  the yellow item you see is a 4 inch by 6 inch notepad, that can easily fit down inside that area.

here you can see that this pocket is about 3.5 inches deep.

the main admin area does have a rain flap that covers the zipper.  The zipper is the weakest point in the water resistance of this bag, so this helps mitigate that.  the main compartment also has a rain flap.

here right above the yoke staps, you can see a top zippered pocket.

inside this area is a soft material similar to microfiber.  this is intended for sunglasses.

each side of this bag has a pocket that has a cylinder shape, it can easily hold bottled water, and I have seen 24 oz bottles inside of these, but it will not fit a 32 oz Nalgene.

inside both of the side pockets, is a small pocket, notice the Charge pocket clip.

the yoke design seems very nice in the brief test I have done so far.

the sternum strap has elastic bands, with the a nylon brake, or stop.

the brak-away clips on the shoulder straps are tucked away in a way that ensures the hard plastic is not pressing against the wearer.

the zipper seen here is for accessing the hydration bladder

there are two plastic tabs for hanging and a velcro hanger for holding two small or one larger hydration bladders.

here is the backboard.  it is plastic, but fairly sturdy.

I cut about half an inch off of the top, because the board seemed to push so far down that the bag wants to always fall forward.  now it is not as bad.

here you can see the main compartment rain flap, and the grab handle.   the areas on each side of the grab handle, under the velcro flap is a pass through

The main compartment back has a shock cord pouch, and a zippered mesh pouch.

the main compartment front has two zippered mesh pockets, and one zippered opaque pocket.
the top mesh pocket has a zipper at the top and the bottom, this is great for when the bag has heavy items and the flap folds over.

here is the pass through from the hydration area to the main area. (so you can get to the pass throughs)

the opaque pocket in the main area

This is a 15.6" laptop,  the shock cord holds it OK,  but I will be buying A sleeve like this and modding it to be my laptop padding.

the bottom of the bag has drainage grommets, and webbing that allows you to fasten items to the bottom of the bag.

I wish this bag came with a waist belt, but at least this newer version of this bag has the connectors for one (the old one did not)  they can handle a 1.5 inch strap.

the adjustable straps have nice "keepers" that prevent flapping straps.

here is the compression strap (I wish it had upper and lower, but it does not) I will be making a lower compression strap.

and here is what the pass throughs look like

there is plenty of PALs webbing on this bag

Here is placed this next to a 17.3 inch laptop  bag.  this is great scale item in my opinion.

My first impressions are great!  but there are a few issues I would have appreciated, such as more compression straps, and a waist belt.  I know I do not always need a waist belt, but even tying your shoes with a bag on your back is easier with a waist belt.

Next up I will work on measuring each and every pocket as best as I can.

thanks for looking

If I can help, let me know 

us Offline detron

Re: 5.11 Rush 24 First looks, review, and updates.
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 03:40:58 AM
I made this as a new thread because I plan to update my thoughts as I have more and more time with the bag.

Also, I forgot to point out the shoulder straps are very thick and the padding feels great!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 06:47:42 AM
Excellent write up. I will be responding in length later when I get to my computer, but just some quick thoughts. I had the same problem with the back board being long and causing the bag to always tip forward. I have not cut mine down, but most likely will. After getting my Rush 12 I kind of wish I went with the 24. I will explaine more later. I might have to get a 24 for a everyday bag and then get a 72 for a BOB. Well that's probably not going to happen, but I can dream.  :D
I'm the milk man!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 07:04:35 AM
 :tu: cool!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline detron

Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 05:01:31 PM
I should not work on things like this when I am so tired.  I just noticed I said 95mm SAK   :facepalm:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 03:00:09 PM
That is a nice pack!

That's us mobile.
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 12:05:30 AM
Nice review sir. Do you happen to have any pics of you carrying it?

us Offline detron

Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 01:48:17 AM
Nice review sir. Do you happen to have any pics of you carrying it?

not yet,  but about 3/4 the way down in the review below has some of him wearing it.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?355544-5-11-Tactical-RUSH-12-and-24-Backpack-(MOLLE-PALS-compatible)-Review

this is a great in-depth review

us Offline mley1

• Do it right the FIRST time!
Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 10:00:17 AM
Nice review. The Rush 24 is my go to hunting pack. I love all the Rush series of packs. The 24 seems to fit my needs well while hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks y'all,

Marty

scotland Offline gardenvalley

Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 04:41:14 PM
These are popular for adding compression straps to any bag with PALS webbing, I`ve got a few sets - http://www.511tactical.com/rush-tier-system.html

The 5.11 folding drop pouches are excellent. They are hardly visible when attached to a bag but can carry a huge amount of stuff when needed.

Good review BTW.
Thi`s signature contain`s no superfluou`s apostrophe`s

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 02:49:30 PM
Interesting review, I didn't realise the Rush 24 now had connectors for a waist belt.  I really like the layout and organisation in these packs, but I ended up buying something else because I really wanted a waist belt.

onur.bulut

Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 04:17:26 PM
I completely agree that 5.11 tactical Rush 24 is an amazing backpack . I have had this pack for a couple years and it has been a pleasure to own. There are plenty of other reviews that go into detail about the pack, so i wont do that here. But one thing this pack is missing is a waist belt. I have found that the Condor 241 battle belt with a 1-1/2″ web belt is a perfect combination for a waist belt on this pack. For a belt I am using the Blackhawk! 1.5 inch instructors gun belt. The best part is that you can get them to match some of the colors this pack comes in.

I would highly recommend this product and someday plan to purchase its bigger brother the rush 72 to keep in my vehicle as sort of a “bug out bag” and keep this one reserved for day hikes or traveling as a carry on. The materials this bag is made out of seem very durable. The design is well thought out, there are so many compartments and pockets that you really can keep a ton of stuff in there and yet keep it all organized. Another thing to note is that at least for me, I have to keep the shoulder straps quite tight to take advantage of the yolk design of the shoulder straps. This keeps the pack riding higher up on my back and keeps the yolk closer to the back of the neck area. If you are a person who wears your pack hanging down at your ass then the design is pretty much defeated.

Also the chest straps can be easily moved around by simply taking them off of the molle. They have a break in the plastic clip that holds them to the shoulder straps to allow you to remove them and adjust them. Before purchased I found great reviews about it on LINK REMOVED
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 04:26:11 PM by zoidberg »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 04:27:31 PM
No spamming links here, goodbye.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 04:38:19 PM by zoidberg »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 05:29:49 PM
Great piece of equipment and great review!

:salute: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 08:50:57 PM
I've been using a Rush 24 as a work bag for about 18 months. I use it daily on my motorcycle, and it has withstood daily wear and tare and a few thunderstorms without an issue. Most days it is loaded about 30%, but sometimes it is loaded to capacity with my 15 inch laptop and overflow items have I no other space for on the bike. I've used a generic nylon belt with the bag as a waist belt on a day hike.

I love the two small pouches for my cellphone, wallet and pocket knives. The sunglasses pouch is also quite handy. The mesh pocket inside the main compartment is excellent to carry soft fruit like a peach or avo without squashing them between your other gear. The hydration pocket can carry A4 docs without folding them, or something like a tablet.

One improvement I can think of is to make the bag interior a lighter colour, because I sometimes battle to find items in an all black bag.

Great bag for the price, I'll probably replace it with another one one day.

ca Offline ericcrayon

• New User
Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 02:43:53 PM
When you want a high-quality tactical backpack for a 24-hour mission,  the Rush 24 is the right tactical backpack for you! This is a backpack that has plenty of storage compartments, allowing you to organize your items perfectly. Thanks to the great design, this backpack won’t slow you down.

In the main compartment, you’ll find 3 mesh pockets, which are great for keeping your gear organized. Smaller items can be found much faster when you store them in this way.

So that you don’t have to stop to have a drink, you can make use of the hydration compartment. This padded compartment allows you to carry water in your backpack and drink it without having to take anything out of the backpack.

There is a fleece-lined eyewear pocket so that you can keep sunglasses safe when you’re not wearing them. There are also 2 zipped side compartments so that you can store all your smaller gear for easy access.

This is a backpack that is highly useful for a 24-hour mission and you can add further compartments if you wish as this backpack is Molle compatible. A grab handle at the top of the backpack adds further to the backpack’s convenience. and also this backpack is one of the most rated one on link edited
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 04:00:41 PM by zoidberg »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 04:00:52 PM
When you want a high-quality tactical backpack for a 24-hour mission,  the Rush 24 is the right tactical backpack for you! This is a backpack that has plenty of storage compartments, allowing you to organize your items perfectly. Thanks to the great design, this backpack won’t slow you down.

In the main compartment, you’ll find 3 mesh pockets, which are great for keeping your gear organized. Smaller items can be found much faster when you store them in this way.

So that you don’t have to stop to have a drink, you can make use of the hydration compartment. This padded compartment allows you to carry water in your backpack and drink it without having to take anything out of the backpack.

There is a fleece-lined eyewear pocket so that you can keep sunglasses safe when you’re not wearing them. There are also 2 zipped side compartments so that you can store all your smaller gear for easy access.

This is a backpack that is highly useful for a 24-hour mission and you can add further compartments if you wish as this backpack is Molle compatible. A grab handle at the top of the backpack adds further to the backpack’s convenience. and also this backpack is one of the most rated one on link edited

Sorry to have to pull your link, but it is in violation of our forum policies on advertising. :salute:
As this is a privately owned and members funded forum we can't allow you to advertise for free here.
We have members here paying for the privilege to advertise and allowing you to do so for free wouldn't be fair to them.
If you have any more questions or would like arrange options for advertising, please contact Grant Lamontagne, the site owner via email.
Nice to have you with us and you can enjoy the forum and take part in the discussions, but don't advertise anymore until you've made arrangements to do so with the forum owner. :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%