Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why are some models so expensive?

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Why are some models so expensive?
on: October 18, 2015, 10:05:31 PM
The discussion about the high price of the Compact got me thinking, why are some models so expensive than others which might have more features.   

Here are a few examples:

The CT29 is around the same cost of a SwissChamp, despite being an $20 Spartan with the CyberTool.  I do see the point, and have a CT41 on my list, but always wonder why the CyberTool adds around $40-50 to similar models without the CT.

The Equestrian, despite having more features than the Trekker/Trailmaster family is almost always more or the same cost as the Trekker, despite having only a combo tool to make room for the hoofpick.

The Pocket Pal is usually around $15.  All it is is two blades, nothing else. It's only slightly less than a Recruit, which has two blades and a full openers layer.   

de Offline windson

• Observe - Evaluate - Control
Re: Why are some models so expensive?
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 10:19:16 PM
What if each model is priced in a vacuum, only according to that particular model's supply and demand, parallel, similar, and contradicting models notwithstanding?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 10:42:34 PM
I think the bits are supplied by a 3rd party and are part of the reason the CT layer is much more expensive.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 10:48:58 PM
Economies of scale on production of the parts? :shrug:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 10:59:56 PM
Or perhaps different production lines with more automation on the cheaper models?

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 11:16:14 PM
As others have stated, I don't think it just boils down to the price of parts. It's supply and demand. They're still worth their prices, even on the harder-to-get models :salute:
SAW

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 11:32:01 PM
I think you're all correct.

Some parts will be more expensive to make, and some parts/models will be produced in lower quantities and subject to economies of scale. This will be driven by demand, and they'll not produce huge quantities of tools that aren't top sellers just to keep the prices down.

When it gets to retail, we often see a lot of bargains, and the chances are they are slower moving stock for a particular retailer. You don't drop prices on items that are selling well at the full listed price. I think price differences between models will be more to do with this, than with actually increasing the prices of certain models, with many retailers anyway. There's too much competition to bump prices significantly unless you're selling something exclusive.

Overall, still the best value you can buy for a pocket tool, even on the higher price models. Great functionality, the most consistent levels of top level quality, and a lifetime warranty on top. In an era when most things are built to last a year or so before you have to buy a new one, they give you a product that will last for decades at a very reasonable price.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 12:51:21 AM
I think you're all correct.

Some parts will be more expensive to make, and some parts/models will be produced in lower quantities and subject to economies of scale. This will be driven by demand, and they'll not produce huge quantities of tools that aren't top sellers just to keep the prices down.

When it gets to retail, we often see a lot of bargains, and the chances are they are slower moving stock for a particular retailer. You don't drop prices on items that are selling well at the full listed price. I think price differences between models will be more to do with this, than with actually increasing the prices of certain models, with many retailers anyway. There's too much competition to bump prices significantly unless you're selling something exclusive.

Overall, still the best value you can buy for a pocket tool, even on the higher price models. Great functionality, the most consistent levels of top level quality, and a lifetime warranty on top. In an era when most things are built to last a year or so before you have to buy a new one, they give you a product that will last for decades at a very reasonable price.
That's sad but true, almost everything made these days is disposable  :-\
SAW

nl Offline shenkie

Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 09:17:40 AM
The SwissChamp (and also the Huntsman) are the most popular models Victorinox produces. This is the reason these models go on sale more often then others models which in turn lowers the overall price. The MSRP for the Swisschamp is around 85 euro's here in the Netherlands, yet you can buy it for 60 euro's from quite a few retailers. You almost never see a 30% discount on a Compact or a Cybertool.

They also make the SwissChamp and the Huntsman fully automatic in Ibach (The only "human" part is the QC afterwards). The rest of the models are still put together by hand.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 09:54:51 AM
They also make the SwissChamp and the Huntsman fully automatic in Ibach (The only "human" part is the QC afterwards). The rest of the models are still put together by hand.

I thought the Spartan and the Climber had fully automatic production lines as well? (I have a vague recollection that fully automatic production started with “two to four layers”.)

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 12:06:47 PM
I often ask the same question. I mean a Midnite Manager costs as much as a Centurion here; a Minichamp costs as much as a regular blade Forester. Sometimes it gets tricky finding the right value for money versus what's on the shelves.

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 02:22:30 PM
I have found there is a relation between a models attractivness to the freaks (us), and the premium they charge.  The normal consumer is fine with a Classic, Tinker, Climber or Swisschamp and are not prepared to pay so much. Price is really good.
The freaky consumer will pay almost anything to get a weird tool set.

I fear this scenario:
Victorinox finds out how much we really are prepared to pay to get weird tool sets or even custom tool sets.

My worst fear is still this:
My wife sells my gear for the prices she thinks I paid.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 03:28:22 PM
Well the CT driver is injection molded, thats the only part that is, so I guess special process just for that part, plus cost of bits to go with it?  I do always cringe when people ask for a custom Ti CT model as I dont stock those and I know they cost alot.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 02:20:50 PM
This is an issue that has bugged me a lot for years. For instance, as much as a love my 58mm classic, I'd rather have an executive on my keyring. But the executive is three times the price of a classic. Not right!
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%