Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiza Swiss Army Knives

Corwyn · 68 · 9014

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Swiza Swiss Army Knives
Reply #30 on: October 23, 2015, 03:36:05 PM
Your take is correct. There are easier to clean and don't built up junk as much. These one on this new knife seem to be very smooth and polished. I doubt they well scratch or catch a finger nail. But then again, I could be wrong. I would love to hold the SK in person.

That's us mobile.
Nate
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 03:37:54 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #31 on: October 23, 2015, 03:43:42 PM
I'm a traditional SAK guy, these are too "modern" for me.

The only way I see me buying one of these is if they incorporate a light sabre into it and then, it would have to be reasonably priced with free shipping..

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #32 on: October 23, 2015, 03:49:57 PM
I'm a traditional SAK guy, these are too "modern" for me.

The only way I see me buying one of these is if they incorporate a light sabre into it and then, it would have to be reasonably priced with free shipping..

+1 And beside the light sabre a folding wand from Ollivander's.  :tu:

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #33 on: October 23, 2015, 05:09:54 PM
I want one with a wood saw. Can it be modded? Has anyone seen my pants?

ca Offline beerbaron

Reply #34 on: October 23, 2015, 09:32:36 PM
The question everyone should be asking-

"Which one would MacGyver use?"  :think:

us Offline TonySal

• join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #35 on: September 28, 2016, 03:12:06 AM

Old topic- but still- Swiza? NEVER!!!!
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #36 on: September 28, 2016, 03:32:25 AM

:salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #37 on: September 28, 2016, 12:17:59 PM

Not until Swiza offer more money than Victorinox anyway ;)

If they switch to Swiza they'll run out of episode names much sooner though :)

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #38 on: September 28, 2016, 12:51:49 PM
Swiza knives are all useless to me, as they lock, so not legal carry in the UK. Wish they offered non-locking versions for all models as an option, then I might be interested.
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #39 on: September 28, 2016, 01:54:15 PM
Swiza knives are all useless to me, as they lock, so not legal carry in the UK. Wish they offered non-locking versions for all models as an option, then I might be interested.

BTW I've actually email Swiza to ask if they have any plans to offer non-locking versions, maybe others who'd like to see this could also harass them ask them about this?

Contact details here:
http://www.swiza.com/en/Brand/Services/Contact/Contact.html
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #40 on: September 28, 2016, 06:35:33 PM
BTW I've actually email Swiza to ask if they have any plans to offer non-locking versions, maybe others who'd like to see this could also harass them ask them about this?

I hope they will.  It would be incredibly trivial for them to do.  The backspring is strong enough already.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #41 on: September 28, 2016, 06:53:37 PM
???

They're STILL making these???

SAW

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: September 29, 2016, 07:15:28 AM
???

Not only that, but they're churning out new colours and a blunt version:

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #43 on: September 29, 2016, 09:53:04 AM
???

Not only that, but they're churning out new colours and a blunt version:

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

:salute: Coz funky colours and patterns on the handle are an integral part of a knife's good construction quality [/sakazm]

Blunt version I can understand but I don't think that's what this wannabe-SAKs line is missing at the moment.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: October 02, 2016, 04:03:34 PM
???

I can´t understand so much hate against this brand

If you don´t like them then don´t buy them

And live and let live

P.S.: And I don´t own any Swiza knife, but I wouldn´t care if they fill my needs in certain moment

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: October 02, 2016, 05:39:47 PM
In white it looks like a tampon  :facepalm:

And for the retail price of €30, I would see myself buying an Opinel no.8 with plastic handle before a Swiza. Unless I would stubmle across one for a bargain.
Or when more positive reviews show up I might consider one... just not in white  :rofl:
31979.jpg
* 31979.jpg (Filesize: 27.88 KB)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 05:42:00 PM by Mechanickal »

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #46 on: October 12, 2016, 07:23:21 AM
I recently got a black D03 (corkscrew instead of the much-maligned phillips).  I don't get the hate for these.  (The obnoxious way their marketing took on Victorinox and claimed to reinvent the SAK definitely left a bad taste in my mouth, but the knife itself is fine.)  I think it is a pretty nice knife.  I really like the push-button liner lock, robust tweezers, and inline awl.  I don't mind the weak backspring on the can opener.  I haven't found the tools sticking out to be uncomfortable in the hand, but the claim that this knife is "ergonomic" is definitely misleading.  The curve takes some getting used to (i.e., the blade pointing "down" not "straight") but it hasn't gotten in the way.  The awl is sharp and inline is of course awesome, but it could definitely be a bit beefier.  Both screwdrivers have worked fine for me for light tasks, but I haven't hard-tested them.  (The beefy can opener but tapered large flathead is definitely puzzling though.)  The rubbery coating feels great but I can't see it lasting long in the pocket or tossed in a bag.  I have the black, but any of the other colors they offer seem like dirt magnets.  Also, love the stainless steel liners.  Stainless steel liners and inline awl instead of small blade are really things I'd like to see on 91mm Vics.

Overall, I like it a lot and look forward to their future offerings.  When will they add the pharmaceutical spatula?  That said, I am saying that as a collector and SAK (or SAK-style) nut.  For a general schmo, I can't see recommending this knife when one could get a Vic Tinker or Spartan for half the price. 

I am disappointed that their new models are just scale variations or a rounded blade tip.  It has been a year since they launched these tools, time to start adding new tools.  They have probably designed themselves into a bit of a corner here, given how the opener layer tools line up perfectly with the blade profile.  Not sure how they'd add more layers, the tools would have to stick out even more.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 07:42:45 AM by NetsNJ »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: October 12, 2016, 08:10:02 AM

And for the retail price of €30, I would see myself buying an Opinel no.8 with plastic handle before a Swiza. Unless I would stubmle across one for a bargain.
Or when more positive reviews show up I might consider one... just not in white  :rofl:

Probably best to avoid the used ones as well, in red.   :facepalm:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: October 12, 2016, 08:39:11 AM

Probably best to avoid the used ones as well, in red.   :facepalm:
:rofl:

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #49 on: October 12, 2016, 10:09:44 AM

I can´t understand so much hate against this brand

No place for hate in firiki's life but... strong dislike for the marketing approach SWIZA took yes there's plenty of that.

Indirectly bashing at Victorinox (and Wenger, to be fair) as obsolete relics and claiming to have re-invented the SAK and then trying to cash in the very heritage of those two companies while only offering a silly, hipsterized copy of a SAK is too much insolence for this SAKnight ;)

Besides, what an innovative can opener design :rofl:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: October 12, 2016, 11:08:28 AM
The D01 and D02 are very minimalist. Blade, awl, Wenger style tweezers, and either corkscrew or Phillips. Strange combination for a single layer. Would have been better to have a combo opener and flat tip blade instead of an awl. D03 and D04 are like a Spartan or Tinker without the pen blade and toothpick. At 83mm they're more the size of a Small Tinker or Tourist/Sportsman, or an Evolution S101 or S111 with locking blade, again without the pen blade and toothpick. I'm ambivalent about a locking blade in a knife this size. If it's available I'll take that model variant; if it's not I'll do without. Equally ambivalent about the "soft feel" scales or the hilt's curved shape. In a knife this size, a straight or curved hilt doesn't make much difference unless you're using it continuously for many hours each day.

Street Price: too high, almost 2x the Tinker and Spartan street price; significantly higher than the Evolution S101/S111.

Dealbreaker: no toothpick!
(seriously)

John

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: October 12, 2016, 11:20:26 AM
[...]I don't get the hate for these.[...]
There are three good things about the Swiza
- The feel of the scales
- The lock release
- Their warranty service (at least it was in my case)

There are lots of bad things:
- I broke the small screwdriver and the Phillips in my tests, where the 91mm took no damage.
- The hole in the blade collects dirt and is really bad if you want to spread butter or something (so does the nail nick, but not nearly as much).
- For me the grip is uncomfortable, as I grip over the tools (and there is only one layer, as the other is open).
- Poor use of space

To me those cons outweigh the pros by a huge margin. So a (for me) bad product with a totally boastful marketing campaign makes me dislike the product.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: October 12, 2016, 01:45:24 PM
I recently got a black D03 (corkscrew instead of the much-maligned phillips).  I don't get the hate for these.  (The obnoxious way their marketing took on Victorinox and claimed to reinvent the SAK definitely left a bad taste in my mouth, but the knife itself is fine.)  I think it is a pretty nice knife.  I really like the push-button liner lock, robust tweezers, and inline awl.  I don't mind the weak backspring on the can opener.  I haven't found the tools sticking out to be uncomfortable in the hand, but the claim that this knife is "ergonomic" is definitely misleading.  The curve takes some getting used to (i.e., the blade pointing "down" not "straight") but it hasn't gotten in the way.  The awl is sharp and inline is of course awesome, but it could definitely be a bit beefier.  Both screwdrivers have worked fine for me for light tasks, but I haven't hard-tested them.  (The beefy can opener but tapered large flathead is definitely puzzling though.)  The rubbery coating feels great but I can't see it lasting long in the pocket or tossed in a bag.  I have the black, but any of the other colors they offer seem like dirt magnets.  Also, love the stainless steel liners.  Stainless steel liners and inline awl instead of small blade are really things I'd like to see on 91mm Vics.

Overall, I like it a lot and look forward to their future offerings.  When will they add the pharmaceutical spatula?  That said, I am saying that as a collector and SAK (or SAK-style) nut.  For a general schmo, I can't see recommending this knife when one could get a Vic Tinker or Spartan for half the price. 

I am disappointed that their new models are just scale variations or a rounded blade tip.  It has been a year since they launched these tools, time to start adding new tools.  They have probably designed themselves into a bit of a corner here, given how the opener layer tools line up perfectly with the blade profile.  Not sure how they'd add more layers, the tools would have to stick out even more.

You pay for the lockin blade, not comparable.
Similar price to a Wenger/Victorinox Evolutions with locking blade, have a look and check it!  :whistle:

Just saying  :pok:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 01:47:00 PM by alexTOOL »

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #53 on: October 12, 2016, 05:41:15 PM
Similar price to a Wenger/Victorinox Evolutions with locking blade, have a look and check it!  :whistle:

If that means a non-locking version, which they really should make, would be much cheaper, then I'm sure a lot of people will be very happy :)

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #54 on: October 12, 2016, 08:00:55 PM
AlexTool, fair point!

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #55 on: October 12, 2016, 08:14:14 PM

If that means a non-locking version, which they really should make, would be much cheaper, then I'm sure a lot of people will be very happy :)

Quite, with a lock it's basically no-go for us UK peeps as an EDC

so Offline maxt

Reply #56 on: October 12, 2016, 08:36:16 PM
I really do not understand the hate. So, they said they reinvented SAK. Who cares what thay said )
I do not have Swiza myself (yet) but I have been following many posts about them for a year now. Most reviews are positive. Almost everyone says that the handles are great and lock-release is cool. They make new scales and the blunt blade - it is not a step up, but at least something. Let us wish them new models and see how they develop.
Want to buy:
SwissChamp - 500 Mio
Huntsman - Eidgenossenschaft 700 Year Commemorative
Wenger - FASS 90 Grünig and Elmiger in Green scales

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: October 12, 2016, 10:11:31 PM

I mentioned the Vic Delemont Evo S101 and S111 specifically because those have locking blades versus the Small Tinker and Sportsman (or Tourist). The D03 and D04 street prices are significantly higher, by 50%, than what I found for the Evolution S101 and S111. In addition, the Evolution deliver more tools with an awl, clip blade, toothpick, and IMHO better tweezers than the Wenger design Swiza's using. I keep seeing references to the Swiza Phillips having some issues but haven't seen the details anywhere. Swiza's marketing doesn't matter too much to me as I don't pay much attention to the typical hype from any company.

John

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: October 13, 2016, 08:11:55 AM

I mentioned the Vic Delemont Evo S101 and S111 specifically because those have locking blades versus the Small Tinker and Sportsman (or Tourist). The D03 and D04 street prices are significantly higher, by 50%, than what I found for the Evolution S101 and S111. In addition, the Evolution deliver more tools with an awl, clip blade, toothpick, and IMHO better tweezers than the Wenger design Swiza's using. I keep seeing references to the Swiza Phillips having some issues but haven't seen the details anywhere. Swiza's marketing doesn't matter too much to me as I don't pay much attention to the typical hype from any company.

John

The Swiza are bigger :D

And innovation (rubber grip, similar to Soft touch scales in Wenger).

Imagine a S101 or S111 but bigger and with soft touch scales (in different colors!) >>>>> more expensive even!
And the Wenger locking system with tab is crap! Bad ergonomics! :pok:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 08:13:01 AM by alexTOOL »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: October 13, 2016, 10:25:20 AM
I really do not understand the hate. So, they said they reinvented SAK. Who cares what thay said )
I do not have Swiza myself (yet) but I have been following many posts about them for a year now. Most reviews are positive. Almost everyone says that the handles are great and lock-release is cool. They make new scales and the blunt blade - it is not a step up, but at least something. Let us wish them new models and see how they develop.
The handles are nice, but that alone makes not a good tool. Poor ergonomics (tools are sticking out and you have to grip over them), poor use of space, blade at an odd angle (you probably get used to that quickly), poor tool quality (I have ruined the tip of two small screwdriver, the Phillips and blunted the awl on its first use. All during applications, where the Victorinox tools showed no wear), weak back-spring on the non-locking tools.

As a Victorinox fan I of course also care what they say about Victorinox.
As someone from Switzerland I strongly dislike anyone who is boastful.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%