Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Attention any/all bicycle riders!!

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Attention any/all bicycle riders!!
on: October 26, 2015, 02:51:44 PM
I,being new to the bicycle world,have carried a Leatherman in case my bike decides to smurf out in the middle of nowhere.  Though it does cover a multitude of sins.  It is still, "wanting". 

Have any of you used these tools?  I think they might fill that gap :think:
http://www.parktool.com/category/multi-tools
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Re: Attention any/all bicycle riders!!
Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 02:58:05 PM
Personally. I've yet to be left stranded by carrying just a regular multitool and a set of folding metric allens. Park tool does make some of the best regarded bike specific tools, so you're not likely to be let down if you decide to get one
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

gb Offline pingu

Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 04:51:07 PM
I,being new to the bicycle world,have carried a Leatherman in case my bike decides to smurf out in the middle of nowhere.  Though it does cover a multitude of sins.  It is still, "wanting". 

Well I have a Topeak which is another brand of the same.  Not sure which one is "LM" and which one is "G*rb*r" >:D

I think the question is the wrong way round.  Your LM will surely be found wanting unless it has a bit adapter and you carry in particular 4mm and 5mm allen key bits.  Don't expect the LM pliers to ride to the rescue because the sockets are usually bevelled, recessed or alloy.   And get a spoke key which fits your spoke nipple size because they are already rounded before being attacked by pliers  :facepalm:

So as a previous poster suggests get an allen key kit or possibly better this might be one area where it is worth always carrying a cheapo bike kit.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 05:21:54 PM by pingu »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 07:01:01 PM
First off, you should think about what can go wrong.
Loose screw, ignore, drive on
Broken spoke, ignore, drive on

Broken brake-cable, unless you have replacement no tool will help
Broken chain, unless you have replacement parts no tool will help (ok, a chain breaker and shortening the chain might work)

Most common occurence: a Flat tire.
So, you will need a 15mm wrench to get the wheel out
2-tire levers
something to fix the tube (or a replacement tube).

Currently suggestion would be a Topeak Urban 8 (see in my Nutter Thread)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline pingu

Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 07:13:51 PM
I also thought I needed 15mm to release the wheels but not necessary with QR

gb Offline pingu

Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 07:52:39 PM
I mentioned I had a Topeak.  It's a X-Tool which is mainly hex keys and disappointingly lacks a flat scredriver.  It augments my MT carry rather than being a bike tool.   Looking at the market I notice Topeak have a "Mini 18 Plus".  Includes a bottle opener  :tu:  Who needs a LM  :whistle:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 08:24:44 PM
I mentioned I had a Topeak.  It's a X-Tool which is mainly hex keys and disappointingly lacks a flat scredriver.  It augments my MT carry rather than being a bike tool.   Looking at the market I notice Topeak have a "Mini 18 Plus".  Includes a bottle opener  :tu:  Who needs a LM  :whistle:
Got the Mini 20 Pro or something, nice little toy :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 08:26:12 PM
QR is great until you leave your bike at a train station... Not that this happens often, but like a flat tire, something I try to avoid. My bike actually has a safety-QR with a pentagonal screw, so I don't need a 15mm either.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 11:26:27 PM
Thank you one and all!! :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 12:50:15 AM
QR is great until you leave your bike at a train station... Not that this happens often, but like a flat tire, something I try to avoid. My bike actually has a safety-QR with a pentagonal screw, so I don't need a 15mm either.

I carry two locks because of this. U-lock the frame and rear wheel, run a cable around the front wheel. I am not a fan of not having the same amount of wheels I left it with...
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 02:47:11 AM

Have any of you used these tools?  I think they might fill that gap :think:

Roadie or MTB?  And yes, I do carry a Leatherman on my rides along with a Park Tool IB-1. Between those two and a patch kit I feel I am mostly covered and can limp home or to the nearest town.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 07:12:35 AM

I love to show off my Park Tools and I thought I will never get to do it here  :P  Here is my Roadie setup that goes in my jersey pocket, my MTB setup that goes in my Camelbak and my bicycle Tool Box with mostly Park Tools. I build my own bikes and Park Tools are a joy to work with. Get whatever fits your needs and you will not be disappointed... errrr, except their plastic tire levers, they suck.

The Leathermans I carry on my ride have been very useful. I have used them on others more than on my bike. Cut off or bend broken spokes, snip off broken cables, pull cables to be adjusted, pull zip ties that are already cut off to tighten, cut clothing and straps when stuff happens, roughen up slippery saddle rails, make tire boots and of course open foreign beer bottles. You don't need one but it's nice to have one if you can take the weight penalty.
LMPT1.JPG
* LMPT1.JPG (Filesize: 137.16 KB)
LMPT2.JPG
* LMPT2.JPG (Filesize: 131.39 KB)
LMPT3.JPG
* LMPT3.JPG (Filesize: 96.51 KB)
LMPT4.JPG
* LMPT4.JPG (Filesize: 128.13 KB)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 07:41:00 AM
I just have a bicycle multitool kit I got from LIDL, and whatever small multitool I happen to have on me (Manager, Micra)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 08:42:49 AM

I love to show off my Park Tools and I thought I will never get to do it here  :P  Here is my Roadie setup that goes in my jersey pocket, my MTB setup that goes in my Camelbak and my bicycle Tool Box with mostly Park Tools. I build my own bikes and Park Tools are a joy to work with. Get whatever fits your needs and you will not be disappointed... errrr, except their plastic tire levers, they suck.

The Leathermans I carry on my ride have been very useful. I have used them on others more than on my bike. Cut off or bend broken spokes, snip off broken cables, pull cables to be adjusted, pull zip ties that are already cut off to tighten, cut clothing and straps when stuff happens, roughen up slippery saddle rails, make tire boots and of course open foreign beer bottles. You don't need one but it's nice to have one if you can take the weight penalty.
Bike MTs are MTs too... quite underrated here I feel :tu:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 08:49:38 AM

:imws:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 09:21:03 AM

:imws:
:cry: Al does not like me...

:dnft:

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 10:57:22 AM

I´m surprised any of the big 3 multitool manufacturers didn´t take this market given the bicycle craze at the moment, that market is huge.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 11:20:49 AM
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 11:24:52 AM
I need to take some pics of my kit, but currently I keep a Topeak folding hex key set (mini-9, I think), a Pedros chain tool with spoke keys, Schwalbe tyre levers and a Leatherman Rebar, along with some nitrile gloves, a rag, some duct tape and cable ties, oil, bits of chain, puncture repair kit, some spare screws and at least one spare tube.

gb Offline pingu

Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 11:29:46 AM

I´m surprised any of the big 3 multitool manufacturers didn´t take this market given the bicycle craze at the moment, that market is huge.

Thanks, or no thanks  :facepalm: to this thread I've just ordered a Crank Brothers 19.  Not to take on a ride, a cheapo that I can lose suffices for that, but to have the functionality to hand on my work bench.   Hardly more expensive than a LM bit kit but standalone capable and no losable bits.  I think LM will struggle to crack that value.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:58:55 AM by pingu »

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 01:06:34 PM

Thanks, or no thanks  :facepalm: to this thread I've just ordered a Crank Brothers 19.  Not to take on a ride, a cheapo that I can lose suffices for that, but to have the functionality to hand on my work bench.   Hardly more expensive than a LM bit kit but standalone capable and no losable bits.  I think LM will struggle to crack that value.

With the money cyclist seem to be willing to spend on their hobby I wouldn´t be surprised if they could sell a tool looking a bit like Skeletool CX in titanium and Carbon fibre with tyre levers, hex keys and spoke wrenches for over 100 USD or more.

au Offline bounding star

Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 01:32:45 PM
All i've every carried for riding is my wave, bit kit with allens, tire levers and a mini shifter. I've rarely have to use any of them, but all that usually happens is a flat tire. Although one time I was riding with friends, had their back wheel come loose. The nut was a mil to big for the shifter, so I just used the wave, worked fine. Another time had a friend's pedal come off, managed to get it back on with wave. Then there was that time that I removed my friend's broken derailuer with the wave. I'd say the wave is the best option.

EDIT: zip ties and duct tape. Always
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 01:34:00 PM by bounding star »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: October 27, 2015, 01:33:43 PM
http://www.leatherman.co.uk/product/Mako_Ti
That has been discussed before... IMO it lacks the most essential Bike-Tool-Tool, the tire lever and is even for a bike tool expensive (Windsor Nutter runs at about half the price).

Much better bike-tool by LM :D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 01:37:28 PM by Etherealicer »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 01:35:14 PM

With the money cyclist seem to be willing to spend on their hobby I wouldn´t be surprised if they could sell a tool looking a bit like Skeletool CX in titanium and Carbon fibre with tyre levers, hex keys and spoke wrenches for over 100 USD or more.
I would buy that, especially since the Skeletool (all versions) run at 100 to 150 USD here anyway :P

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: October 27, 2015, 01:36:59 PM
All i've every carried for riding is my wave, bit kit with allens, tire levers and a mini shifter. I've rarely have to use any of them, but all that usually happens is a flat tire. Although one time I was riding with friends, had their back wheel come loose. The nut was a mil to big for the shifter, so I just used the wave, worked fine. Another time had a friend's pedal come off, managed to get it back on with wave. Then there was that time that I removed my friend's broken derailuer with the wave. I'd say the wave is the best option.

Did you know that you can use the bit-cards as impromptu tire lever? Tested and confirmed

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 27, 2015, 02:15:36 PM

Did you know that you can use the bit-cards as impromptu tire lever? Tested and confirmed

Great Idea  :hatsoff:

au Offline bounding star

Reply #26 on: October 28, 2015, 10:06:24 AM

Nice. I wonder if they had that in mind when they designed it, it seems almost ideal

gb Offline pingu

Reply #27 on: October 29, 2015, 11:32:03 AM

Incoming....

It's here.  I chose the Crankbrothers M19 as it is the cheapest in the branded sector which incorporates PH1 and T10, though unfortunately its not a security T10.   As I said earlier not for biking but to be on hand near my workbench.
P1020401.JPG
* P1020401.JPG (Filesize: 277.63 KB)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: October 29, 2015, 01:08:19 PM
I carry all ellen keys too cover my bike,plus a cooltool,2 tyre levers,2 innertubes all my mtb's have a spare spoke strapped too rear stay,but too be honest i well maintain all my bikes so rarely break anything.Ive got a few parktools spanners and old campagnolo headset tools,good tools last years  :salute:

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #29 on: October 29, 2015, 04:19:37 PM
I carry one of these "Outback'r M14" tools in my Camelback Mule mostly for use on my motorbike and it sometimes gets carried on my mountainbike.
Puncture stuff is the bulk of it though,

http://www.cruztools.com/products/multitools.html
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 04:22:01 PM by shark_za »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31