Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Attention any/all bicycle riders!!

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Re: Attention any/all bicycle riders!!
Reply #30 on: October 29, 2015, 04:44:02 PM
 :think: :think: :think: :think:  All of you have given me much to think about :think: :think: :think: :think:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #31 on: October 30, 2015, 02:28:59 AM
That Crank Bros 19 looks great. I was THIS CLOSE to getting that one but went with the Topeak Mini 20 Pro instead. It's been great, so far, but have not used it much yet. Regardless of what you go with, it really gives a lot of peace of mind having such a variety of tools with you on the trail.

As was mentioned earlier, I too am surprised LM or Gerber haven't put out a serious bike specific tool (Mako is not serious, especially at that price). Skeletool or a Wingman with a bit driver would provide a good chassis for a bike tool, as they are dimensionally appropriate for a seat post pack. MP400 would be a good starting point for Gerber.

It'd be interesting to see how they would incorporate a chain breaker onto a plier-based platform.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 02:35:15 AM by rdub934 »
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: October 30, 2015, 03:12:02 AM
:think: :think: :think: :think:  All of you have given me much to think about :think: :think: :think: :think:

:rofl: There are lot of choices out there and a lot to consider depending on the type of bike, tires, distance, terrain, etc. The most common thing you will have to deal with is a flat tire. Depending in your setup (clincher, tubular, tubeless) you will need different repair kits.

I worry about crazy motorist more than a bike breakdown. Make sure you are visible. These days with good cellphone coverage you can always phone home or a friend. I carry mine in a zip-lock bag to protect it from the elements.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: October 30, 2015, 03:24:25 AM

I once asked my local bike shop if they can order me a Mako Ti and the guy said you need to be an authorized LM dealer to sell one. Then he pulled his Wave out and I pulled out my Juice and the girl behind me said 'you guys' and shook her head, lol.

I think it's easy for the big 3 to build a bike MT but getting it out there to bike stores is the challenge. That's probably why bike specific brands make bike MTs. The Mako Ti was inherited by LM when they bought Pocket Tool-X. You cannot call it their creation. And I they don't make it anymore. So get one while you can if you are LM fan and ride bikes  :gimme:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: October 31, 2015, 11:00:15 PM
Just remembered while technically PB SwissTool (another great tool manufacturer). There is a acceptable MT available from Vic.

It is of course missing the 15mm but since I use a safety torx it suits me (not that I actually carry that, way too bulky).
biketool_01.jpg
* biketool_01.jpg (Filesize: 48.84 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #35 on: December 11, 2015, 05:05:14 PM
I broke down and purchase the IB-1 from my local bicycle shop.  It set me back $11.99, and Parktool even had them personalized with the bike shop's name and phone number( Erlton BIkes 856-428-2344......................................YES!!  Blatant plug!!!!  :ahhh
Ironically, in the 12 hours I've had it.  It used to to tighten loose nuts,bolts,& screws more than I ever have when I've carried my Leatherman or SAK :tu:

http://www.erltonbike.com/
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

gb Offline pingu

Reply #36 on: December 12, 2015, 08:53:46 PM
I like that model a lot, particularly the single beam design but no Phillips driver disappoints.

gb Offline DrC.

Reply #37 on: December 17, 2015, 09:03:00 PM
I've been carrying a Carradice 11-in-1 multitool in my saddlebag for about 2 or 3 years now. Has a chain tool, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 mm hex, T25 Torx, Philips and flat. I like the wooden scales too.

http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=range&product_id=133
IMG_2496.JPG
* IMG_2496.JPG (Filesize: 119.93 KB)
IMG_2497.JPG
* IMG_2497.JPG (Filesize: 113.28 KB)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 09:04:05 PM by DrC. »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31