Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your first SAK?

au Offline Scoon

Re: Your first SAK?
Reply #30 on: October 28, 2015, 05:26:18 AM
Well, technically my frist SAK was one which my grandfather owned, but never used (I think it was an old gift). He passed away and we were going through his stuff and my Mum said I could keep it. I think I was about 13 at the time.

Playing with it in the car on the way home and... SNAP! The main blade caught the tip of my left thumb on the way down. I knew what would happen, so I hid my thumb and calmly asked my Mum if she had a tissue. Unfortunately for me, she looked back and saw blood absolutely pissing out of my thumb  ::) It was a small cut (>1cm), but the blood vessels in the hand carry a lot of pressure, it seems ;)

So... that got taken away pretty quickly lol (she was the paranoid type). I begged to get it back (C'mon, Mum! It didn't even need stitches!) but sadly, no dice.

Many years later I was in Korea on a working holiday and happened past the one official Victorinox Store in Seoul. After a quick browse, I settled on a Tinker, which now has great sentimental value to me. I'm currently waiting on some black scales kindly donated by one of the forum members to arrive to replace the cracked (and sugru'd) red scales that came with it.
IMG_20150928_170934.jpg
* IMG_20150928_170934.jpg (Filesize: 205.23 KB)

au Offline Scoon

Reply #31 on: October 28, 2015, 05:29:47 AM
As a follow-up, I was actually quite taken by the alox farmer that was out at the time in a variety of different colours, but I eventually settled on the tinker due to the screwdriver. Looking at the prices people are reselling them for on ebay now, I wish I'd bought three! I probably would have gone with the farmer, but at the time I didn't know how useless the mid-body screwdriver is, and that the tip of the can opener is much more effective with phillips heads anyway.

I guess it just goes to show that whenever you see something you like you should buy first, ask questions later :P
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 05:33:09 AM by Scoon »

us Offline tinkertailor

Reply #32 on: October 28, 2015, 09:48:23 AM
Well, it's 1:30 am here in Cali and it isn't like I didn't go to bed at 3 am yesterday night (morning?) so I'll write my little story here.
My brother always had little cheapie folding knifes. He is 2.5 years older, and did Boy Scouts for a time so he got the knives. My mom (bless her heart) would always find them in weird places, usually when dearest brother was trying to carve a hole big enough for a firecracker in the derriere of a GI Joe and gave up mid project. Oh, the times when we could have fireworks in CA.... Sigh.. She had a drawer full of these knives. Still does. They intrigued me, kind of a danger-but-useful thing. I imagined myself being Nancy Drew or Laura Croft or Dana Scully, a badass woman in charge. With a knife. Ooooh. On second thought, maybe not Nancy Drew. She was a lightweight.
My dad had a friend with a pretty incredible SAK, with all sorts of cool tools... I was attracted to the pen. Mostly because he drew funny pictures to entertain me during some adultish event that ten-year-old me found awful. I asked for a SAK for my twelfth birthday, having checked out knife safety books at the library for a year and pilfered a Cub Scouts book from my brother's room that talked about knife safety. I still regularly use the term "blood zone" when Dad and I are tinkering on something and we get too close to each other with our blades out.
I've never been cut by my birthday Super Tinker. I liked the awl a lot because it looked stabbalicous and me being breastfed Hollywood movies since toddlerhood liked the thought of being a badass woman in charge. I made belts fit with it and admired its steel edge.
I was never a rebellious kid. At all. Brother did that enough for two kids. But sometimes I did like being 'bad'. I would put my Tinker in my backpack and bring it to school, which was illegal. I told nobody. But god how I loved that knowledge, that tool clattering around my pencils. My secret.
It was mostly a nail-cleaner and mirror (checking my lipstick on the fly in the big blade) until I hit the age of sixteen and gave up my obsession with makeup and attractiveness for the arts and crafts. I started asking my dad for lessons on using my knife, and it soon became a medicinal herb harvester, an embroidery scissor, and a screwdriver for when something went awry in the house and Dad wasn't home. Finally I felt capable, even if it was just screwing a doorknob back on or dismantling a sink to save a wedding ring. I was the one who, when something went wrong and the rest of the house was asking WHO DID THIS???, googled a tutorial and FIXED THE DAMNED THING, BY GOD.
I'd like to think that my SAK made me more of a badass woman, the kind I've always admired, but I think my small self-reliance transformation would have happened anyway. The Super Tinker was just a tool, a way of guiding myself to that point.
I'd like to think that Scully would be proud.
fledgling knife nerd

de Offline windson

• Observe - Evaluate - Control
Reply #33 on: October 28, 2015, 11:51:28 AM
Well, it's 1:30 am here in Cali and it isn't like I didn't go to bed at 3 am yesterday night (morning?) so I'll write my little story here.
My brother always had little cheapie folding knifes. He is 2.5 years older, and did Boy Scouts for a time so he got the knives. My mom (bless her heart) would always find them in weird places, usually when dearest brother was trying to carve a hole big enough for a firecracker in the derriere of a GI Joe and gave up mid project. Oh, the times when we could have fireworks in CA.... Sigh.. She had a drawer full of these knives. Still does. They intrigued me, kind of a danger-but-useful thing. I imagined myself being Nancy Drew or Laura Croft or Dana Scully, a badass woman in charge. With a knife. Ooooh. On second thought, maybe not Nancy Drew. She was a lightweight.
My dad had a friend with a pretty incredible SAK, with all sorts of cool tools... I was attracted to the pen. Mostly because he drew funny pictures to entertain me during some adultish event that ten-year-old me found awful. I asked for a SAK for my twelfth birthday, having checked out knife safety books at the library for a year and pilfered a Cub Scouts book from my brother's room that talked about knife safety. I still regularly use the term "blood zone" when Dad and I are tinkering on something and we get too close to each other with our blades out.
I've never been cut by my birthday Super Tinker. I liked the awl a lot because it looked stabbalicous and me being breastfed Hollywood movies since toddlerhood liked the thought of being a badass woman in charge. I made belts fit with it and admired its steel edge.
I was never a rebellious kid. At all. Brother did that enough for two kids. But sometimes I did like being 'bad'. I would put my Tinker in my backpack and bring it to school, which was illegal. I told nobody. But god how I loved that knowledge, that tool clattering around my pencils. My secret.
It was mostly a nail-cleaner and mirror (checking my lipstick on the fly in the big blade) until I hit the age of sixteen and gave up my obsession with makeup and attractiveness for the arts and crafts. I started asking my dad for lessons on using my knife, and it soon became a medicinal herb harvester, an embroidery scissor, and a screwdriver for when something went awry in the house and Dad wasn't home. Finally I felt capable, even if it was just screwing a doorknob back on or dismantling a sink to save a wedding ring. I was the one who, when something went wrong and the rest of the house was asking WHO DID THIS???, googled a tutorial and FIXED THE DAMNED THING, BY GOD.
I'd like to think that my SAK made me more of a badass woman, the kind I've always admired, but I think my small self-reliance transformation would have happened anyway. The Super Tinker was just a tool, a way of guiding myself to that point.
I'd like to think that Scully would be proud.
You had me at 'stabbalicious' - word of the day now!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: October 28, 2015, 11:59:42 AM
That's a smurfing great knife story, tinkertailor!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #35 on: October 28, 2015, 02:56:35 PM
My first was a Pocket Pal in 84mm given to me as a gift when I was around 8. It never bit me, but it did bite a friend who found it when it fell out of my pocket. :facepalm:

I still have it but don't really carry it.

After that, I received a Champ-alike China knock off a few years later Broke it not long after.

First full-feature SAK was a Ranger.

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #36 on: October 28, 2015, 03:29:24 PM

+1 :cheers:

Reading this post made me realise the two reasons I still cannot bring myself to like the Swisschamp. The first one is that, like then, it still feels too heavy and unwieldly to be considered for pocket carry by me. The other reason is that mum wouldn't endorse a SAK or pocket knife altogether so I had to save up to get one, I don't remember the prices too well but I know that for the kind of money a Swisschamp cost at the time you'd get a smurfload of standard loaves of bread and about half that quantity of comic books. Memories. :tu:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #37 on: October 28, 2015, 03:35:35 PM

Reading this post made me realise the two reasons I still cannot bring myself to like the Swisschamp. The first one is that, like then, it still feels too heavy and unwieldly to be considered for pocket carry by me. The other reason is that mum wouldn't endorse a SAK or pocket knife altogether so I had to save up to get one, I don't remember the prices too well but I know that for the kind of money a Swisschamp cost at the time you'd get a smurfload of standard loaves of bread and about half that quantity of comic books. Memories. :tu:
firiki doesn't pay for SAK's he takes what he wants and burns the rest. That's what you have led me to believe anyway.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #38 on: October 28, 2015, 03:42:18 PM
Fantastic story BTW tinkertailor and welcome to the forum  :salute:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #39 on: October 28, 2015, 03:57:45 PM
I can't quite remember what model my first SAK was, but it definitely had a fishscaler and a bail. :D. I had it for a birthday present around 1978 when I was about 10.  It was my favourite possession and I carried it every where.

I proudly took it with me to cub camp where I presented it to one of the leaders who had asked to borrow a knife for a demonstration. I guess it looked small and insignificant next to some of the Bowie knives and other fixed blades offered, and he sneered at my knife. I was absolutely crestfallen and when I got back home I put it in a drawer and can't remember what happened to it.

Fast forward 20 odd years and I was working on site with another carpenter who sharpened his pencil with a Soldier. I asked him about it and he handed it over so I could inspect it. The flame ignited again. I bought a Rucksack first to use on site, and then got hold of a Huntsman for EDC. Now I EDC a Woodsman most of the time, but also a modded Farmer, an SI, an Explorer, Classic and a modded Camper.

I wish I had that original SAK still. I guess it was a Swisschamp. I will replace it one day.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #40 on: October 28, 2015, 07:37:29 PM
firiki doesn't pay for SAK's he takes what he wants and burns the rest. That's what you have led me to believe anyway.

Keep calm and carrion.jpg
* Keep calm and carrion.jpg (Filesize: 104.01 KB)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #41 on: October 29, 2015, 02:04:35 AM
Something very near the first moment I owned a SAK is preserved for all of time on these very boards...

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,21658.msg593581.html#msg593581

The year was 2012. I was in the midst of a raging debate on the merits of multitool can openers. Yes, seriously. And Jersey Devil donated a Tinker to the cause of testing. At the time, I thought it was because he was a very generous kind of guy. In truth, it was like he was a CRACK DEALER!!!! "C'Mon, the first one's free..." :D

Now... Now I own quite a few.

As for my path into MTs... In high school, I carried a little folding buck knife. In my early-mid 20s, I bought a SOG Crosscut (paid WAY too much for it at 'Sharper Image' or some such mall store), and carried it for approximately 15 years. Got the these boards, partially in search of a replacement for that aging tool. Now I own a... uh... 'variety' of MTs.

Now, on days when i'm not doing an insane knock-off tool challenge, I either carry a Super Tinker with Stay Glo scales, or an Explorer, and back it up with a little keychain sized plier-based tool.

us Offline tinkertailor

Reply #42 on: October 29, 2015, 03:38:39 AM
Now, on days when i'm not doing an insane knock-off tool challenge, I either carry a Super Tinker with Stay Glo scales, or an Explorer, and back it up with a little keychain sized plier-based tool.
I ADORE your knockoff posts. They make me laugh so, so hard. The moment when you pulled off the scales on the Chinese knockoff SAK and there was glue underneath was hilarious. I can't explain why it made me laugh as hard as it did, but it did.
Super Tinkers are incredible. If/when I decide to reproduce I will be giving my offspring one as a coming-of-age gift.

Thank you for the compliment! I love writing, and these knives carry stories, that's for sure...
And I'm debating the merits of spending my hard-earned car money on a SwissChamp and unless I can find one that is gently used, I'm thinking it's a no. Not yet. Someday though... Oh, some day....
fledgling knife nerd

us Offline tinkertailor

Reply #43 on: October 29, 2015, 03:42:50 AM
Fantastic story BTW tinkertailor and welcome to the forum  :salute:
Thank you sooooo much. I'm loving it here! You guys sure are hospitable, it's pretty incredible.
I have a pretty good hunch that as soon as The Semester From Hell ends in six short weeks I'll be on here a lot more, and probably a bit more active! :cheers:
fledgling knife nerd

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #44 on: October 29, 2015, 07:34:03 AM
The moment when you pulled off the scales on the Chinese knockoff SAK and there was glue underneath was hilarious.

I invite you to read my personal favorite bit I've done on the boards so far, the Les Stroud Engage Test to Destruction.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55957.0.html

I personally think that it's hilarious.

gb Offline narcosynthesis

Reply #45 on: October 30, 2015, 11:33:59 PM
The first SAK I owned was a huntsman, and was a birthday present to me from my parents when I joined the scouts - so around 11/12 or so.

Obviously as a young scout it only took a matter of hours of me trying to find excuses to use it for every job possible before the inevitable happened and I managed to snap it shut on my finger trying to cut something with it - something I have made a point not to do since then...

I still own it, and while it is not always the knife I have in my pocket, it is one that still gets stuck in my bag every time I head out to camp (though as a leader now, rather than a scout).

us Offline tinkertailor

Reply #46 on: October 31, 2015, 12:16:38 AM
The moment when you pulled off the scales on the Chinese knockoff SAK and there was glue underneath was hilarious.

I invite you to read my personal favorite bit I've done on the boards so far, the Les Stroud Engage Test to Destruction.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55957.0.html

I personally think that it's hilarious.
I read the entire thing in the bath last night and it was glorious. AMAZING!
fledgling knife nerd

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: October 31, 2015, 12:20:04 AM
The first SAK I owned was a huntsman, and was a birthday present to me from my parents when I joined the scouts - so around 11/12 or so.

Obviously as a young scout it only took a matter of hours of me trying to find excuses to use it for every job possible before the inevitable happened and I managed to snap it shut on my finger trying to cut something with it - something I have made a point not to do since then...

I still own it, and while it is not always the knife I have in my pocket, it is one that still gets stuck in my bag every time I head out to camp (though as a leader now, rather than a scout).

Welcome to the forum :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Rawhyde

Reply #48 on: November 03, 2015, 02:01:18 AM
This thread is to good to let it slip away...

My first SAK was a Huntsman.  I got it as a Christmas gift from my mother in 1986.  Initially, I kinda liked the functionality, but I was beholden to Puma, Cold Steel, and whatever else was the top rated knife with the super steel (of the day).  I wanted to carry a real knife, but to keep from hurting my mother's feelings I decided to carry it for a week or so, then go back to my real knives.

Within the first week, I wound up using every tool the Huntsman had.  A week or two turned into a month or two, and I was hooked.  At some point while I was still in college, I sent it back to Victorinox for repair of the scissors.  With the knowledge I've gained here, I'm sure they replaced it rather than repaired it because the 1986 model shouldn't have a parcel hook.  Even so, I consider it to be the same knife she gave me.

I carried that knife until the Spring of 2009 when it slid out of my pocket into the recliner mechanism.  I was without it for about a week, but I found it!  At the next gun show, I found a knife vendor with a bunch of SAKs and had him identify it and order me a brand new version.  My mother passed away on Dec 26, 2008; so I knew I'd never get another pocket knife from her.  I cleaned up the trusty old Huntsman and locked it in my safe after 22-1/2 years of faithful service.

Fast forward to a few months ago, I stumbled onto a guy at a gun show selling stolen (by the TSA) knives out of bins.  I wound up with about a dozen SAKs for ~$100.  I found the SAKWiki and this site while trying to figure out what my new treasures were. 

I thought I was the only person who was enthusiastic about SAKs until I learned about this site.  I've been reading the forum daily for some time.  When I saw the generosity extended to TinkerTailor after she paraboiled her SAK, I decided to join.

That's how y'all got stuck with another newbie!

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #49 on: November 03, 2015, 02:41:16 AM

My first SAK was a Huntsman.  I got it as a Christmas gift from my mother in 1986.  Initially, I kinda liked the functionality, but I was beholden to Puma, Cold Steel, and whatever else was the top rated knife with the super steel (of the day).  I wanted to carry a real knife, but to keep from hurting my mother's feelings I decided to carry it for a week or so, then go back to my real knives.

Within the first week, I wound up using every tool the Huntsman had.  A week or two turned into a month or two, and I was hooked.  At some point while I was still in college, I sent it back to Victorinox for repair of the scissors.  With the knowledge I've gained here, I'm sure they replaced it rather than repaired it because the 1986 model shouldn't have a parcel hook.  Even so, I consider it to be the same knife she gave me.

I carried that knife until the Spring of 2009 when it slid out of my pocket into the recliner mechanism.  I was without it for about a week, but I found it!  At the next gun show, I found a knife vendor with a bunch of SAKs and had him identify it and order me a brand new version.  My mother passed away on Dec 26, 2008; so I knew I'd never get another pocket knife from her.  I cleaned up the trusty old Huntsman and locked it in my safe after 22-1/2 years of faithful service.

Fast forward to a few months ago, I stumbled onto a guy at a gun show selling stolen (by the TSA) knives out of bins.  I wound up with about a dozen SAKs for ~$100.  I found the SAKWiki and this site while trying to figure out what my new treasures were. 

I thought I was the only person who was enthusiastic about SAKs until I learned about this site.  I've been reading the forum daily for some time.  When I saw the generosity extended to TinkerTailor after she paraboiled her SAK, I decided to join.

that is a great story
If I can help, let me know 

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: November 03, 2015, 08:38:18 AM
There's two types of SAK story I particularly like; the stories of a knife that's has given long,long service; and those of an old,abandoned SAK that gets restored,and put back into service!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: November 03, 2015, 01:27:24 PM

[...]

that is a great story

+1, and welcome to Rawhyde! :D

us Offline Rawhyde

Reply #52 on: November 03, 2015, 06:45:35 PM
I've really enjoyed my time here, and I've learned a lot.

I have a buddy with about 40 acres of property that we use for shooting, feeding game, running game cameras, etc. we were putting out corn and food blocks with the golf cart when we ran up to a small tree that had partially blown over and blocked our path. It was about 1-1/2" in diameter. We were on a narrow trail, so I didn't want to back up for 200' for a place to turn around...  I hopped off the golf cart and before Tom could finish telling me how there was no way I could break the tree and clear the trail, the saw on the Huntsman had it sliced in two!  Shortly after that, I retired that Huntsman and started carrying a Swisschamp. The inline Phillips, magnifier, and backside fine screwdriver are already seeing regular use.

My buddy was stunned that I was able to cut that sapling with a pocket knife that easily. He wanted to go back to the shop and grab the chainsaw.

Most of us take a SAK for granted, but they are downright amazing to people who've never had one. He's hung up on Case Copperlocks, but it I'm trying to show him the light....  At least he's now carrying a Swisschamp in his truck now. If he'd just put it in his pocket for a week, those Case XX's would wind up in the sock drawer where they belong.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: November 03, 2015, 09:23:11 PM

I have a buddy with about 40 acres of property that we use for shooting, feeding game, running game cameras, etc. we were putting out corn and food blocks with the golf cart when we ran up to a small tree that had partially blown over and blocked our path. It was about 1-1/2" in diameter. We were on a narrow trail, so I didn't want to back up for 200' for a place to turn around...  I hopped off the golf cart and before Tom could finish telling me how there was no way I could break the tree and clear the trail, the saw on the Huntsman had it sliced in two!  Shortly after that, I retired that Huntsman and started carrying a Swisschamp. The inline Phillips, magnifier, and backside fine screwdriver are already seeing regular use.

My buddy was stunned that I was able to cut that sapling with a pocket knife that easily. He wanted to go back to the shop and grab the chainsaw.

Most of us take a SAK for granted, but they are downright amazing to people who've never had one. He's hung up on Case Copperlocks, but it I'm trying to show him the light....  At least he's now carrying a Swisschamp in his truck now. If he'd just put it in his pocket for a week, those Case XX's would wind up in the sock drawer where they belong.
That's a SAK :D  :tu:

Btw, 

us Offline tinkertailor

Reply #54 on: November 06, 2015, 11:09:10 PM

I'm definitely considering a Huntsman as a potential for my next knife investment. Huntsman, Craftsman, Explorer, Ranger, Swisschamp (in my broke college student dreams...), the list goes on and on. I can tell that the saw is something I definitely want, so I might be able to narrow it down that way, but hot damn I'm excited to get a new one when I can afford it...
Thank you for sharing and WELCOME TO THE FORUM! I'm a newbie too! Whoo!
fledgling knife nerd

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: November 06, 2015, 11:23:25 PM
Gibbs rule38b

You need a Farmer

It's a rule...I think :think:

us Offline parman53

• I Can Fix Anything
Reply #56 on: November 07, 2015, 01:41:32 AM

I was going on a camping trip to the western U.S. in the early 80's. Bought this Explorer in a big department store in the outdoor section. Carried it a lot since then when I travel but I don't camp anymore.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: November 07, 2015, 06:00:30 PM

I'm definitely considering a Huntsman as a potential for my next knife investment. Huntsman, Craftsman, Explorer, Ranger, Swisschamp (in my broke college student dreams...), the list goes on and on. I can tell that the saw is something I definitely want, so I might be able to narrow it down that way, but hot damn I'm excited to get a new one when I can afford it...
Thank you for sharing and WELCOME TO THE FORUM! I'm a newbie too! Whoo!

Welcome   :cheers: other than the ranger ive got all those models and they all get regularly used,the other favourite is the champion,my huntsman is my minimum camping carry  :tu:

us Offline Edward Scissorhands

• SAKo-masochist
Reply #58 on: November 07, 2015, 10:08:23 PM

Great story, and welcome! Your SAK initiation resembles mine -- Woodsman, Champion, SwissChamp.
EDC: SwissChamp, Swisstool X, Zippo, Mini Maglite, all on my belt. I'm one more sheath away from becoming Batman.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #59 on: November 07, 2015, 11:46:31 PM
I'm definitely considering a Huntsman as a potential for my next knife investment.

Definitely get a Huntsman, in nylon scales too. All things considered, it's a great SAK, IMO. The Handyman/Craftsman too.

You need a Pioneer of some sort, two layers and up, also. ::)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD