Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Compact Appreciation

windson · 704 · 54258

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Compact Appreciation
Reply #150 on: April 22, 2017, 08:59:29 PM
Having a desk job, I don't need anything real heavy duty, but the blades on anything smaller than the 84mm SAKs leave me wanting more blade.
Plus, I find scissors very useful.  So I carried a Compact 5 days a week for years.  Served me well.  Then this happened:

yeah, but how'd you survive without the hook?
Yes yes, the hook is all-important!  :ahhh
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #151 on: April 22, 2017, 10:20:33 PM
Having a desk job, I don't need anything real heavy duty, but the blades on anything smaller than the 84mm SAKs leave me wanting more blade.
Plus, I find scissors very useful.  So I carried a Compact 5 days a week for years.  Served me well.  Then this happened:

yeah, but how'd you survive without the hook?
Yes yes, the hook is all-important!  :ahhh

I miss the nail file on the back of the hook.  Guess I'd really like a Cadet X.
- Steve

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #152 on: June 05, 2017, 04:07:43 AM
Still the one...
WP_20170604_19_02_50_Rich (2).jpg
* WP_20170604_19_02_50_Rich (2).jpg (Filesize: 194.32 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #153 on: June 05, 2017, 04:53:03 AM
Still the one...

:like:

This is definitely a great combination of tools in a slim form factor!

I have four compacts and carried one for awhile but they are now spending time in storage while I have shifted my preference to either and Explorer or Yeoman and one of multiple Alox SAKs.

:cheers:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #154 on: June 05, 2017, 05:05:58 AM
Still the one...

I have four compacts and carried one for awhile but they are now spending time in storage while I have shifted my preference to either and Explorer or Yeoman and one of multiple Alox SAKs.

:cheers:  I got a back up Compact or three. :D  It's honestly always a tough decision for me.  The Compact just wins most practicality/EDC arguments for my needs, and it's pretty cool-looking.  I EDC a bunch of beauties in addition to or instead of El Compact though.. current EDC lineup:

MiniChamp
Manager
Alox SD
Green Signature SD
Pioneer
Farmer
OC Pioneer
Climber +
Explorer
Camper
Spartan
Tinker (some Tuesdays as an act of reaching across the aisle)
Opinel No. 8 (every once in a while)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #155 on: June 05, 2017, 05:36:28 AM
Still the one...

:cheers:  I got a back up Compact or three. :D  It's honestly always a tough decision for me.  The Compact just wins most practicality/EDC arguments for my needs, and it's pretty cool-looking.  I EDC a bunch of beauties in addition to or instead of El Compact though.. current EDC lineup:

MiniChamp
Manager
Alox SD
Green Signature SD
Pioneer
Farmer
OC Pioneer
Climber +
Explorer
Camper
Spartan

You have quite an EDC line-up!

I started out with the intention of using my purchases instead of collecting.  As my father used to say, "Famous last words".  :)

Most of my SAKs don't see any use and spend their time in storage.  I have started caching them around the house in places that I might want to use them, which is really handy now that it is summer and I spend most of my time in gym trunks (no pockets).  I covered a small table near my recliner with most of my alox SAKs plus several Swiss Champs and Explorers.  I also keep a Cadet next to my remotes. 

These days my focus is to enjoy the SAKs I have instead of buying new ones on an almost continual basis as I had been doing.  :)

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #156 on: June 05, 2017, 05:47:24 AM
Still the one...

MiniChamp
Manager
Alox SD
Green Signature SD
Pioneer
Farmer
OC Pioneer
Climber +
Explorer
Camper
Spartan

You have quite an EDC line-up!

I started out with the intention of using my purchases instead of collecting.  As my father used to say, "Famous last words".  :)

Most of my SAKs don't see any use and spend their time in storage.  I have started caching them around the house in places that I might want to use them, which is really handy now that it is summer and I spend most of my time in gym trunks (no pockets).  I covered a small table near my recliner with most of my alox SAKs plus several Swiss Champs and Explorers.  I also keep a Cadet next to my remotes. 

These days my focus is to enjoy the SAKs I have instead of buying new ones on an almost continual basis as I had been doing.  :)

I'm deep in the deaths of buying them continually, 100+ right now, but I usually do decide to sell a couple when I buy new ones. Alox, especially Soldiers, is going to be the death of me.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 05:50:12 AM by El Corkscrew »

de Offline windson

• Observe - Evaluate - Control
Reply #157 on: June 08, 2017, 06:01:10 PM
For two weeks now in my pocket...
(Image removed from quote.)

Already have the Compact. Love it carried it for over a year now. I am after a compact tinker if anyone has one for sale?
Also where did you get that patch please?

Re the patch, click the link in his signature.   ;)   :)
Thank you Z.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #158 on: June 18, 2017, 05:37:13 AM
Forgot to mention I made a video about the Compact and how I think it should run for president:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #159 on: July 03, 2017, 10:20:46 PM
still appreciatin'
WP_20170703_13_00_21_Rich (2).jpg
* WP_20170703_13_00_21_Rich (2).jpg (Filesize: 183.55 KB)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #160 on: July 03, 2017, 10:45:07 PM
My Compact is still residing in the first aid kit I carry when out and about. As such it's hardly ever used - but it's the PERFECT knife for the kit.

For daily carry the Sheepsfoot Duke (modified DofE) gets A LOT of pocket time. It's also the only SAK I carry that doesn't have a corkscrew. I haven't switched the back scale for a plus scale yet, but I do plan to do that some time this century  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #161 on: July 14, 2017, 12:10:05 AM
Been thinking about getting a Compact, because it appears to have tools that I would use.  The only thing that I may want that's missing would be an awe.

Are you folks still using your Compacts regularly?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline Danjo

Reply #162 on: July 14, 2017, 12:11:22 AM
Been thinking about getting a Compact, because it appears to have tools that I would use.  The only thing that I may want that's missing would be an awe.

All the time. Great tool!
"There always seems to be a way to fix things." - MacGyver

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #163 on: July 14, 2017, 12:26:36 AM

Depending what you're doing, in a pinch the inline (fixed) arm of the scissors can function as an awl  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #164 on: July 14, 2017, 01:32:13 AM
Still in my EDC rotation... :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #165 on: July 14, 2017, 01:38:46 AM
For years, my favorite model was the Huntsman, even when my multi had a saw in it.

Then I found a Compact. The only model I'd rather carry is a Golfer if they bring them back, but until then, I will have a Compact in my pocket. I actually like the hook, and I don't like the small blade as it ships, so partnered with a pliers based MT there is no finer SAK for EDC IMHO. The only possible way to improve it would be to make it something else.

Mine is with rather beat up red Plus scales, so very stock, and rides with a Fenix e01 and a small thumb drive as part of my EDC.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Reply #166 on: July 15, 2017, 06:00:55 PM
Just ordered a Compact.  Should have it in a couple days.

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #167 on: July 15, 2017, 06:53:13 PM

Awesome! I intend to do the same. I just want to wait until my explorer arrives first though, then I'll order a compact followed by an evowood 14. I think that will do it for me for awhile.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #168 on: July 15, 2017, 07:09:09 PM

Awesome! I intend to do the same. I just want to wait until my explorer arrives first though, then I'll order a compact followed by an evowood 14. I think that will do it for me for awhile.

:rofl: yeah, right  :rofl:

Sporting my brand new El Negro today.  :tu:
comp.jpg
* comp.jpg (Filesize: 174.07 KB)

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #169 on: July 15, 2017, 07:42:14 PM

:rofl: yeah, right  :rofl:

Sporting my brand new El Negro today.  :tu:

Ha ha, ya know if I wait until one arrives before ordering another I think I can easily stretch it out for a few weeks, that's most definitely "awhile"  :cheers:

Reply #170 on: July 15, 2017, 08:02:33 PM
Also order a Climber Plus.  Going to compare the two and decide which to EDC.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #171 on: July 15, 2017, 08:17:42 PM
Also order a Climber Plus.  Going to compare the two and decide which to EDC.

I go between these two all the time. IMO both awesome.   I like having the openers on the Climber + but like the slimness of the Compact... usually comes down to what kind of pants I'm wearing.

But if I really want to go slim it's the Cadet, Executive, or Waiter in the pocket plus a Manager on the keychain.   :cheers:

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #172 on: July 15, 2017, 08:31:28 PM
Yeah, don't see why you can't alternate depending on your needs or mood.

I've been carrying my new climber all week and really love it. I ordered some scales to make it a plus, but ... when I first ordered it I got a version II. I have to confess I really like the current scales. I think they're nylon. They have a little texture and seem very resilient to scratching.

Curious if they make these in plus versions....

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #173 on: July 15, 2017, 08:55:19 PM

I've been carrying my new climber all week and really love it. I ordered some scales to make it a plus, but ... when I first ordered it I got a version II. I have to confess I really like the current scales. I think they're nylon. They have a little texture and seem very resilient to scratching.

Unfortunately, they do not offer the nylons in plus versions but I have heard of people modding their own scales.

I like the nylon scales as well, and climbers in general so I have a few.  I would be glad to sen you this one up front in the pic to put your plus scales on and leave your II intact. Just lmk.  :cheers:
WP_20170715_11_48_37_Pro.jpg
* WP_20170715_11_48_37_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 96.44 KB)

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #174 on: July 15, 2017, 09:34:05 PM

Unfortunately, they do not offer the nylons in plus versions but I have heard of people modding their own scales.

I like the nylon scales as well, and climbers in general so I have a few.  I would be glad to sen you this one up front in the pic to put your plus scales on and leave your II intact. Just lmk.  :cheers:

Thanks El Corkscrew, that is an incredibly kind offer.

I'll try and figure something out though. When I ordered the II version, I also bought a huntsman and a mountaineer, also both with the nylon scales. I'm planning on turning those into plus models for my boys, so I'll have a couple sets of extra nylon scales laying around. When the plus scales arrive I'll give them a good look - maybe it's an easy dremel mod.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #175 on: July 16, 2017, 12:42:45 AM

Thanks El Corkscrew, that is an incredibly kind offer.

I'll try and figure something out though. When I ordered the II version, I also bought a huntsman and a mountaineer, also both with the nylon scales. I'm planning on turning those into plus models for my boys, so I'll have a couple sets of extra nylon scales laying around. When the plus scales arrive I'll give them a good look - maybe it's an easy dremel mod.

For sure, should be an easy switch. There's tons of info in the SAK forum about switching scales.  A little heat from a hair dryer or something is your friend to avoid breaks.  Good to have a vice but not absolutely necessary. The nylons may require just a touch of glue.  I want to do a 84mm Huntsman or Golfer +Saw mod using blue nylons... can't wait.  :D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 12:51:29 AM by El Corkscrew »

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #176 on: July 16, 2017, 03:33:45 AM
Yeah, don't see why you can't alternate depending on your needs or mood. .

You can. That is a celebration of the versatility and variety of the wide number of SAKs and multis out there. My only question is, how do you know which one you need at the start of the day?
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #177 on: July 16, 2017, 05:11:34 AM

For sure, should be an easy switch. There's tons of info in the SAK forum about switching scales.  A little heat from a hair dryer or something is your friend to avoid breaks.  Good to have a vice but not absolutely necessary. The nylons may require just a touch of glue.  I want to do a 84mm Huntsman or Golfer +Saw mod using blue nylons... can't wait.  :D

I hadn't heard about using a hair dryer, thanks! Sounds like good advice. And, I do have a nice smallish electronics type vice which should work great if needed.

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #178 on: July 16, 2017, 05:16:51 AM

You can. That is a celebration of the versatility and variety of the wide number of SAKs and multis out there. My only question is, how do you know which one you need at the start of the day?

Whether you'll be indoors or out might help somewhat. Most likely won't be needing a saw in an office or want a 4+ layer if wearing light slacks I'd suppose. The good thing is, as you say, SAKs are so versatile any one will probably be better than having nothing. As the saying goes, what is the most useful SAK in any situation? The one in your pocket of course  :cheers:

us Offline Frailer

Reply #179 on: July 23, 2017, 03:13:30 AM
I got a new Compact in the mail today to replace the one I gave to my older daughter, who had lost hers. I tried to get by with a Pioneer in my pocket  and a Classic on my keys for a few weeks; it worked OK, but I had to have my Compact back.

I've probably given a dozen of these away over the years; maybe I should keep a couple of spares on-hand.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%