Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Compact Appreciation

windson · 704 · 54253

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Re: Compact Appreciation
Reply #300 on: September 07, 2017, 06:04:26 PM
You got your own caddy?! Cool!
 :tu: :tu:

The eyelets are great, you can make lots of different carry options with them.
 :cheers: :salute:
Yeah, this is the Mini but I find it small for even a 2-layer SAK. I might get a nylon caddy soon ☺

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #301 on: September 07, 2017, 06:07:02 PM
Thanks, guys!

I'm having a very hard time installing the spring, even after watching so many YouTube tutorial. My Golfer's scisor hole has no chamfer, and the hole itself seems smaller than my newer SAKs. I'll try again tomorrow. In the meantime...

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

I've run into that problem and addressed with making the spring loop smaller w/ needle nose pliers then using a small nail to bend it back once it's in place.
I tried making the spring loop smaller but still it won't fit. I should make it even smaller. I'll try again tomorrow and the nail tip (midnight here already, zzzzzzz)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 06:13:23 PM by an0nemus »

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #302 on: September 07, 2017, 06:11:11 PM
Thanks, guys!

I'm having a very hard time installing the spring, even after watching so many YouTube tutorial. My Golfer's scisor hole has no chamfer, and the hole itself seems smaller than my newer SAKs. I'll try again tomorrow. In the meantime...

I've run into that problem and addressed with making the spring loop smaller w/ needle nose pliers then using a small nail to bend it back once it's in place.

That's a pretty cool idea! I thought of the pliers to make the loop smaller, but hadn't thought about a way to make it regain it's form again.

:hatsoff: :clap:
It's really considerate of Victorinox to chamfer one side of the scissors hole where the spring is inserted

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #303 on: September 07, 2017, 06:12:28 PM
Thanks, guys!

I usualy try inserting it from the other side if that occurs and use pliers to clamp them in.
Works every time
Tried this and am baffled how come it looks effortless in YouTube videos

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #304 on: September 07, 2017, 06:46:23 PM
Thanks, guys!

I usualy try inserting it from the other side if that occurs and use pliers to clamp them in.
Works every time

Like in this one? If you use the opening in the scissors hole to hold the spring just after the round tip, it might do the trick.
 :think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #305 on: September 07, 2017, 06:49:33 PM
Place spring hole on scissors hole. Put pliers on. Clamp down.
Nothing?
Place spring on other side of scissors and retry.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #306 on: September 07, 2017, 07:46:21 PM
A 91mm Golfer it is...

Still a nice score!

Thanks! I hope I'm still welcome in this thread  :cheers:

Who uses that silly hook anyway????

Great knife!  Just be careful!  You'll soon need an 84mm Golfer, Compact, and Golfer with divot repair tool   :ahhh
An 84mm Golfer would be awesome!

Never even seen one though...

84mm Golfers show up every month or so on evil bay. I made a point of tracking them for a year and was able to get a few, primarily for the 84mm scissors. The ones in good shape will stay Golfers as I really like them. In fact, both sized Golfers are my favorite EDC when possible (otherwise it's a Manager or an Alox Cadet).  Here are a couple of 84 vs 91 Golfer shots I did.  :cheers:
84&91Golfer01.jpg
* 84&91Golfer01.jpg (Filesize: 74.6 KB)
84&91Golfer03.jpg
* 84&91Golfer03.jpg (Filesize: 42.42 KB)
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #307 on: September 07, 2017, 09:04:04 PM
A 91mm Golfer it is...

Still a nice score!

Great knife!  Just be careful!  You'll soon need an 84mm Golfer, Compact, and Golfer with divot repair tool   :ahhh
An 84mm Golfer would be awesome!

Never even seen one though...

84mm Golfers show up every month or so on evil bay. I made a point of tracking them for a year and was able to get a few, primarily for the 84mm scissors. The ones in good shape will stay Golfers as I really like them. In fact, both sized Golfers are my favorite EDC when possible (otherwise it's a Manager or an Alox Cadet).  Here are a couple of 84 vs 91 Golfer shots I did.  :cheers:
USA-bay?

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #308 on: September 08, 2017, 03:02:06 AM
Thanks, guys!

I will be installing a scissor spring later... I'll try to get some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #309 on: September 08, 2017, 03:05:07 AM
Thanks, guys!

Works every time

Like in this one? If you use the opening in the scissors hole to hold the spring just after the round tip, it might do the trick.
 :think: :think:

This was actually the first video I saw; unfortunately my Golfer doesn't have a chamfered hole I'll try your suggestion later

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #310 on: September 08, 2017, 03:07:48 AM
Nothing?
My problem is spring hole won't fit scissor hole. it's like both holes should have exactly the same shape to fit, with almost zero tolerance

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #311 on: September 08, 2017, 03:09:01 AM
Thanks, guys!

Looking forward to it Jaya man as I'll do another attempt tonight. My Golfer feels inadequate without a functional scissor

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #312 on: September 08, 2017, 03:46:14 AM
Nothing?
+1... Exactly how I do it...

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #313 on: September 08, 2017, 03:47:27 AM
A 91mm Golfer it is...

Still a nice score!

Tell me about it... :facepalm:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #314 on: September 08, 2017, 05:31:24 AM
Thanks, guys!

Looking forward to it Jaya man as I'll do another attempt tonight. My Golfer feels inadequate without a functional scissor

As promised... This is how I do it... Others might have different approaches...

I placed the spring over the hole... positioning the stem (if this is the correct term) in the straight gap...

Used the pliers (in this case, my Spirit) to squeze it in the hole...

Wala...

But I'm not done yet... the spring doesn't sit in the center of the scissor handle...

Just gently tap it in with a hammer... I used a scriber, but a small nail can do the trick..

Done...

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #315 on: September 08, 2017, 05:44:20 AM
I really like the Compact.

I'd buy a wood-scale version in a heartbeat. No question. But I'd really like to see an Alox variation. With red alox scales. (Victorinox, you listening?)  :gimme:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #316 on: September 08, 2017, 08:40:34 AM
Thanks, guys!

I placed the spring over the hole... positioning the stem (if this is the correct term) in the straight gap...

(Image removed from quote.)

Wala...

But I'm not done yet... the spring doesn't sit in the center of the scissor handle...

Just gently tap it in with a hammer... I used a scriber, but a small nail can do the trick..

Done...

Big thanks, Jaya! I'm actually stuck at picture two stage as I can't align the spring loop to the hole. Tolerance is too tight. I even watched a foreign language YouTube video try to enlarge the hole with corkscrew. See pic below. I can't wait to go home and try again tonight

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #317 on: September 08, 2017, 08:42:17 AM
Thanks, guys!

Wala...

Done...

Big thanks, Jaya! I'm actually stuck at picture two stage as I can't align the spring loop to the hole. Tolerance is too tight. I even watched a foreign language YouTube video try to enlarge the hole with corkscrew. See pic below. I can't wait to go home and try again tonight

You sure there isn't an old piece of spring still inside?

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #318 on: September 08, 2017, 08:54:40 AM
Thanks, guys!

Wala...

Done...

Nothing there, nick

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #319 on: September 08, 2017, 12:00:18 PM
Thanks, guys!

Wala...

Done...

Nothing there, nick

:shrug:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #320 on: September 09, 2017, 08:13:01 AM
Finally! Installed my first scissor spring successfully! All the tips here helped a lot. Thank you awl!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #321 on: September 09, 2017, 08:17:18 AM
Finally! Installed my first scissor spring successfully! All the tips here helped a lot. Thank you awl!

:woohoo:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #322 on: September 09, 2017, 08:21:07 AM

:woohoo:
Now cutting any paper on sight

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #323 on: September 10, 2017, 12:30:54 AM
 :tu: :like:

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #324 on: September 11, 2017, 08:53:39 PM
Custard Compact today. For some reason yellow just seemed right.
IMG_0179.jpg
* IMG_0179.jpg (Filesize: 231.05 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #325 on: September 11, 2017, 09:32:54 PM
Custard. :drool:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #326 on: September 12, 2017, 12:40:39 AM
Custard. :drool:
Fish Fingers and Custard.  :drool:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ru Offline Vovaster

Reply #327 on: October 18, 2017, 11:06:48 AM
A few days ago  i decided to put a Compact in my pocket. Never carried it before. And i was surprised about it. Great set of tool for edc, light weight and i found that combotool is more convenient for me than the divided openers, only if  i do not take its to use as a screwdriver and mini crowbar.
wsgptt.jpg
* wsgptt.jpg (Filesize: 159.88 KB)
Peace. Work. May.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #328 on: October 18, 2017, 09:46:33 PM
A few days ago  i decided to put a Compact in my pocket. Never carried it before. And i was surprised about it. Great set of tool for edc, light weight and i found that combotool is more convenient for me than the divided openers, only if  i do not take its to use as a screwdriver and mini crowbar.

:like:

I think the Compact is an example of a SAK that punches way above its weight (to use a boxing analogy). It's only two layers and yet it has an excellent span of functionality. I carry it when I want a blade and scissors in a slim form factor.  I am definitely a fan of the Compact.

Jim

ru Offline Vovaster

Reply #329 on: October 19, 2017, 06:49:39 AM

:like:

I think the Compact is an example of a SAK that punches way above its weight (to use a boxing analogy). It's only two layers and yet it has an excellent span of functionality. I carry it when I want a blade and scissors in a slim form factor.  I am definitely a fan of the Compact.

Jim

:tu:
Peace. Work. May.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56