Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Compact Appreciation

windson · 704 · 54284

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Re: Compact Appreciation
Reply #510 on: October 08, 2018, 10:00:55 PM
So you played around with the Compact and changed your opinion on the combo tool... That´s good. But where did that opinion come from in the first place? If it wasn´t experience, it must have been hearsay. Of course you can´t test every existing tool personally, but strongly advocating other people´s opinions without actually knowing what you´re talking about? That´s not good.

Anyway, I hope you like the Compacts. Thanks for confessing.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 10:26:27 PM by Ron Who »

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #511 on: October 08, 2018, 11:04:48 PM
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #512 on: October 08, 2018, 11:31:57 PM
So you played around with the Compact and changed your opinion on the combo tool... That´s good. But where did that opinion come from in the first place? If it wasn´t experience, it must have been hearsay. Of course you can´t test every existing tool personally, but strongly advocating other people´s opinions without actually knowing what you´re talking about? That´s not good.

Anyway, I hope you like the Compacts. Thanks for confessing.  ;)

Well... i get your point...  :pok:
My opinion came from seeing and "manipulating" the combo tool, in stores mostly, and by the feel for the sturdiness of the tool itself (having an Engineering background also helped...). It wasn't from experience of using it "per se"... I admit i was probably a little bit biased by some of the negative comment's about it too... but Hey... i have no problems in admit when i was wrong, or hasty on my opinion on something...  :facepalm:
I tested it much more "realistically" over the weekend, actual uses i might give it... But is wasn't so much my opinion about it's real sturdiness of it that changed, it was more of what i realistically "can live with" in urban EDC use or not. I know that it will never be as sturdy as the bottle opener or the can opener, but it just got me thinking: "Do i really use it/need it everyday to be as sturdy as the regular opening layer... for normal EDC?  :think:

I can always grab or carry some other Sak with an opening layer when i feel i'll need something sturdier. I just realized that maybe i was judging the Compact to harshly and that maybe i could live with it's tool set, for the most part... Only time will tell... If i end up not getting along with it, i can always sell it or gift it away...  :cheers:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #514 on: October 09, 2018, 09:48:17 PM
.....aaand so here it is...   :mail:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #515 on: October 09, 2018, 10:05:55 PM
MacG, I'm glad to hear you're starting to come around from our last discussion of the combo tool!   :cheers:

I agree that it works great for urban carry, and you'll be hard-pressed to find a better example of a 2-layer urban knife than the Compact or 84mm Golfer.  I love to pair mine with an LM Skeletool at the office or "out on the town".

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 10:19:19 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #516 on: October 09, 2018, 11:13:48 PM
MacG, I'm glad to hear you're starting to come around from our last discussion of the combo tool!   :cheers:

I agree that it works great for urban carry, and you'll be hard-pressed to find a better example of a 2-layer urban knife than the Compact or 84mm Golfer.  I love to pair mine with an LM Skeletool at the office or "out on the town".

Yup.... i've got to hand it... I might just get along with it for regular EDC most of the time...  :ahhh
Apart from the obvious diference in thickness, the diference in weight is also as evident vs my Climber or Super Tinker.

What i can't understand is why is the ring magnetized...?  :think:  On both Compacts it sticks to the upper or lower tools quite obviously.

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #517 on: October 09, 2018, 11:28:40 PM
+1! There's a lot to be said for the combo tool, I'll try to get some pics of it being used for a can opener, it actually works pretty well :like: :like:
Send In the spartans

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #518 on: October 10, 2018, 01:10:41 AM
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #519 on: October 10, 2018, 01:47:12 AM
Yup.... i've got to hand it... I might just get along with it for regular EDC most of the time...  :ahhh
Apart from the obvious diference in thickness, the diference in weight is also as evident vs my Climber or Super Tinker.

What i can't understand is why is the ring magnetized...?  :think:  On both Compacts it sticks to the upper or lower tools quite obviously.

You bring up a great point. I used to carry 4+ layer cellidor models frequently years ago, but when I started carrying ALOX I realized how much I liked the slim profile, and then started carrying slimmer cellidor models and really noticed the weight difference.  Nowadays if I pretty much don't carry anything wider than 3 layers unless I strap a pouch on my belt, and that just ruins the convenience of having a readily-accessible knife/tool in my pocket, IMO.

None of my SAKs have magnetized split rings.  Have you been rubbing it so much that you've aligned the atoms?  Man, I think you like that Compact more than you're admitting....  :rofl:
- Terry

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #520 on: October 10, 2018, 03:27:54 AM

You bring up a great point. I used to carry 4+ layer cellidor models frequently years ago, but when I started carrying ALOX I realized how much I liked the slim profile, and then started carrying slimmer cellidor models and really noticed the weight difference.  Nowadays if I pretty much don't carry anything wider than 3 layers unless I strap a pouch on my belt, and that just ruins the convenience of having a readily-accessible knife/tool in my pocket, IMO.

None of my SAKs have magnetized split rings.  Have you been rubbing it so much that you've aligned the atoms?  Man, I think you like that Compact more than you're admitting....  :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #521 on: October 10, 2018, 09:01:50 AM

Yup... 3 layers is as much as i'll pocket carry for regular edc. I'll take my Huntsman (or Camper/Hiker) if i head out to the country. But in the city/suburbs a two layer is always more comfortable in the pocket. This is thinner but not like Spartan thin, i think its more comfortable on the hand, as much as a 3 layer.

About the split ring....  :rofl:
Im liking the compact but its not from rubbing.... Both new compacts rings are like that, new out of the box. One of my super tinkers ring stick lightly to the hook but that was from years of pocket friction. These ones stick fairly strong to all tools . I wonder if it's the ring or the tools tho.... Must check that out... :think:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:02:58 AM by MacGyver »

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #522 on: October 10, 2018, 09:39:22 AM
Some of my dedicated screw drivers are magnetized, which is neat and quite useful at times. But why magnetize a split ring? And I wonder if Vx themselves make them.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #523 on: October 11, 2018, 09:06:10 AM
Some of my dedicated screw drivers are magnetized, which is neat and quite useful at times. But why magnetize a split ring? And I wonder if Vx themselves make them.

Well i cant really get why they did it, but the ring is definitely magnetized, and quite strongly. It was getting on my nerves so i replaced it with an earlier one. These latest ones are a bit thicker and more "squared" out, while the older ones are rounder and thinner, they sit in the liner ring tabs a lot better not as stiff.

Most work on those mods to the combo tool now...  :think:
I'm thinking of grinding the end of it to shorten it a bit so its not as long and thin on the edge, to sturdy it up a bit. Also thinking about sharpening the underside of the can opener part (chisel style) so ill have a scraper, better light prying tool, and could work even as a box cutter...  :think:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #524 on: October 11, 2018, 10:19:51 AM

Yup... 3 layers is as much as i'll pocket carry for regular edc. I'll take my Huntsman (or Camper/Hiker) if i head out to the country. But in the city/suburbs a two layer is always more comfortable in the pocket. This is thinner but not like Spartan thin, i think its more comfortable on the hand, as much as a 3 layer.

:iagree:

About the split ring....  :rofl:
Im liking the compact but its not from rubbing.... Both new compacts rings are like that, new out of the box. One of my super tinkers ring stick lightly to the hook but that was from years of pocket friction. These ones stick fairly strong to all tools . I wonder if it's the ring or the tools tho.... Must check that out... :think:

Ah OK.  Mine are all older models.
- Terry

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #525 on: November 22, 2018, 01:45:59 PM
 :salute:

id Offline classicrock

• With every mistake we must surely be learning
Reply #526 on: November 23, 2018, 07:17:14 AM
Perfect partner for my Spirit

Sent from my CPH1723 using Tapatalk

-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-

us Offline William

Reply #527 on: November 23, 2018, 05:29:48 PM
Had one and sold it. A bit too large for my EDC. Starting to regret.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #528 on: November 23, 2018, 07:24:14 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

I understand you very well... A couple of months ago i was really hung up on the 84mm's for quite some time, especially the small tinkers and tourists, but I'm leaning to the 91mm's again, cause i really wanted to have full size scissors again, and after a while of being away from the 84's, the 91's aren't really that much big really....
And i must hand it... The grip is much better.... Still love the 84's though... :D

Lately its either the Compact or the Climber, or both.....  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 07:26:24 PM by MacGyver »

us Offline William

Reply #529 on: November 23, 2018, 08:09:00 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

I understand you very well... A couple of months ago i was really hung up on the 84mm's for quite some time, especially the small tinkers and tourists, but I'm leaning to the 91mm's again, cause i really wanted to have full size scissors again, and after a while of being away from the 84's, the 91's aren't really that much big really....
And i must hand it... The grip is much better.... Still love the 84's though... :D

Lately its either the Compact or the Climber, or both.....  :facepalm:
The problem is there are too many choices.
I dropped down to an Executive for most EDC. If they made a Cadet with scissors I would be a very happy man.
Still trying to decide on an Alxo 58.

Offline Stephan Wilms

• New User
Reply #530 on: December 10, 2018, 12:32:23 PM
Hi,
I‘m new to the Forum. I read a lot about the compact. I’ve got a few other SAKs but I find the compact is exactly what I need. I combined this with the nice woodscales from the Spartan Wood. I‘m carrying a Classic on my Keychain, so I’m not missing the tweezers...

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #531 on: December 10, 2018, 01:22:30 PM
Welcome to the forum Stephan :)
Cool Compact.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #532 on: December 10, 2018, 01:46:05 PM
Hi Stephan and welcome to  :MTO: :cheers:
Nice SAK love the wood scales  :tu: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #533 on: December 10, 2018, 03:26:09 PM
 :like:
And wood scales, even nicer!

ch Offline Gio

Reply #534 on: December 28, 2018, 02:53:54 PM
Is this the right place for an early Golfer?
Can I join in?  :like:
“What kind of music do you dumbasses even play?”
“Symphonic post-apocalyptic reindeer-grinding Christ-abusing extreme war pagan fennoscandian metal.”

Heavy Trip (2018 movie)

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #535 on: January 02, 2019, 05:41:17 AM
Is this the right place for an early Golfer?
Can I join in?  :like:
  :drool:
Very nice!  :like:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #536 on: January 02, 2019, 12:37:31 PM
 :iagree: +1 :like: :like:

ch Offline Gio

Reply #537 on: January 02, 2019, 01:07:55 PM
Thanks EL C & Wspeed!
I started collecting in '18 and..so far.. Compact, Golfer and Tinkers are my favorite edc's.
 :like:
“What kind of music do you dumbasses even play?”
“Symphonic post-apocalyptic reindeer-grinding Christ-abusing extreme war pagan fennoscandian metal.”

Heavy Trip (2018 movie)

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #538 on: January 02, 2019, 01:11:17 PM
Nice one Gio  :tu: :like:
Excellent SAKs for edc :cheers:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator