Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiza D04 - thoughts after 10 days of use

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
on: November 02, 2015, 10:12:51 PM
This is a though nut. With the Böker City Tool, I can say that I like the brand, with Swiza not so much. I don't like their boasts and how they imply they have created god's gift or something. Anyhow, I tried to be as neutral as possible.
For a detailed report on my tests see my Off-Brand Thread

The Holes: The Swiza has large holes in its tools for easier opening and the tools truly are easy to open. However, it makes the blade much harder to keep clean (the dirt always wants to stay in the hole). Thus I prefer the nail-nick.

The Back-springs: In general I found the back-springs weak. The exception is the large-screwdriver, it is solid at 90° and 180°. On the blade it is not a problem with it being a liner-lock. However, the weak spring makes it easy/possible to OHO the blade. I think people who like OHO blades would prefer a true OHO blade. People in places where OHO/locking is illegal might wanna stay away to avoid trouble.

The Scales: Truly the best part about the Swiza. Extremely grippy and comfortable. They also seem quite durable (although not scratch-proof as advertised). I doubt the cross-button will last forever, but it seems durable enough. Also, scales are easily replaced (and the button is part of the scales, so no fiddly small parts).

Ergonomics: Due to the tools sticking out of the scales so much, the grip on the Swiza is extremely uncomfortable.

The Tools:
Considering they have not done any demanding tools like saw/scissors, I can only say that certainly is not a good start.

Back-layer Phillips: Very pointy, works ok for PH1 but not for PH2. Due to the weak back-spring its in-stable. The tip also showed wear after the first use.
Can-opener: Works well both left and right handed. The screw-driver-tip was a sad matter, showed wear after first use and due to the weak spring was difficult to use. Being the thicker tool (when compared to the large flat) it would be the obvious choice for a prying / all purpose tool but with that back-spring you don't want to apply uncontrolled pressure.
Blade: Nothing wrong with the blade, solid lock, easy to open. Did not come very sharp. I prefer my blades without a hole though.
Large Flat: The only tool I have nothing bad to say about.
Awl: Despite it's design it worked very well to make holes. I think it will not do so well when making deeper holes into wood and the like. The only layer-tool without a large hole, in fact the sewing hole is so tiny, its useless.
Tweezers: Best tool on the Swiza. I like them better than the Victorinox/Wenger offerings.

Conclusions
Quote from: swiza.com
The new Swiss knife successfully couples the contemporary design conceived by a Zurich-based company
Yes, I know I cut off the quote mid sentence, but this is exactly how I feel about the knife. Some city based design company cooked it up. It looks good on and off paper (as long as it stays closed), but its performance is underwhelming. The Swiza has no strength, nothing that sets it apart, so you are better off buying a Spartan/Pioneer/Soldier at half the price.

Rating: :td:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Swiza D04 - thoughts after 10 days of use
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 10:25:08 PM
Thanks for the insight   :salute: The locking blade put me off straight away when I first saw these, so I'll not be getting one to try. It also seems they have a lot of development work to get back even close to Wenger's standards

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 10:33:42 PM
 :tu:
I have not had a bad conscience anyway for passing on that, but now even less ... :D

SAK Rules!
:climber:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 11:03:22 PM
That's a fairly definitive conclusion Beat!

Gotta say I'm disappointed though. There's enough former Wenger guys involved that you'd have thought they'd hit the ground running
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 12:49:20 AM
What caught my attention was the closing remark of
"....you are better off buying a Spartan/Pioneer/Soldier at half the price."

considering that a spartan doesn't really cost that much these days.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 01:20:45 AM
I've always been a big fan of Wenger design, so it is a shame to see that the Swiza appears to be so ill thought out.  Especially given its claims about being a "revolutionary redesign of the legendary Swiss Knife."

I have to quote Omar here

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 07:37:49 AM

Well, half the price is rough estimate because prices are not global. Here I can get a soldier in new condition for 3 - 5$ which is a tenth of the Swiza, a new Spartan probably costs less than 1/3th (its been a while since I bought a regular Spartan).

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 07:44:52 AM

Well, half the price is rough estimate because prices are not global. Here I can get a soldier in new condition for 3 - 5$ which is a tenth of the Swiza, a new Spartan probably costs less than 1/3th (its been a while since I bought a regular Spartan).

:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:
Not fair, not fair, not fair.
Here, the cheapest Pioneer is 25 Euros, that's 7% of a monthly average income  :cry:
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 07:55:39 AM
That's a fairly definitive conclusion Beat!

Gotta say I'm disappointed though. There's enough former Wenger guys involved that you'd have thought they'd hit the ground running
Well, it is unclear to me how many Wenger guys really are involved in Swiza.
I mean we know Hug/Käslin but those are top management (CEO and his PA if memory serves me right), not necessarily the people with the highest expertise in making a knife.

Considering their marketing strategy, I would not be surprised if "many former Wenger employees" equals Hug/Käslin.

* swiza.jpg (Filesize: 22.49 KB)

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 10:59:21 PM
I keep getting a feeling, lately, that more and more pocket tools are aimed at a public that buys the idea of a tool rather than an actual tool that offers value for money :think: I hope that makes sense.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 11:00:27 PM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 11:07:52 PM
I keep getting a feeling, lately, that more and more pocket tools are aimed at a public that buys the idea of a tool rather than an actual tool that offers value for money :think: I hope that makes sense.

Maybe that is why every gosh darn tool needs a can opener and corkscrew.   :rant:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 11:47:38 PM

That makes perfect sense, and most users don't have the breadth of knowledge we do to see that sometimes it's a crap idea. Most consumers will just look at what the tool offers on paper and will be buying the "concept" rather than having the practical experience of judging whether that concept is relative to the field in question or getting analytical (like we do) about whether it serves the purpose effectively and efficiently.

However, and this is the basis of a lot of the frustration as I see it, (his means they are marketting to the moron who knows no better hoping for a sale, rather than focussing on making an effective and efficient tool.

As a nod to previous conversations, I will just add that this is a criticism of the marketting and approach to potential target audience, and not a criticism of anyone who buys it, tries it, and likes it

And as one further not, I will also say I have had a few G&Ts this evening, and reserve the right to read this comment tomorrow and realise I've been talking out of the wrong orifice  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 01:19:27 AM

That makes perfect sense, and most users don't have the breadth of knowledge we do to see that sometimes it's a crap idea. Most consumers will just look at what the tool offers on paper and will be buying the "concept" rather than having the practical experience of judging whether that concept is relative to the field in question or getting analytical (like we do) about whether it serves the purpose effectively and efficiently.

However, and this is the basis of a lot of the frustration as I see it, (his means they are marketting to the moron who knows no better hoping for a sale, rather than focussing on making an effective and efficient tool.

As a nod to previous conversations, I will just add that this is a criticism of the marketting and approach to potential target audience, and not a criticism of anyone who buys it, tries it, and likes it

And as one further not, I will also say I have had a few G&Ts this evening, and reserve the right to read this comment tomorrow and realise I've been talking out of the wrong orifice  :tu:

In vino veritas!   :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Modern SAK

Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 01:48:05 AM

I agree. I think that's a big part of the attraction of swiss army knives for people, not to say that they aren't high quality. But there is definitely a coolness/wow factor in SAKs. We like gadgets and a sak is a gadget full of gadgets. Go go gadget saw! You hear people say it all the time "I'll probably never need it but it's nice to know I have it". A SAK is always cool because look it even has a hook!

If they had consulted me I would have asked for a hard use tool. Something with an inline Phillips driver. Made to look and be tough. But I don't think swiza had another option because it just wouldn't appeal to the general population. They needed the " swiss army knife redesigned" concept to reel people in. A company like leatherman only appeals to a certain crowd but this new swiza will look cool to a lot of different people who like that idea/concept of what a swiss army knife is. They see it as less of a tool, and more of a do everything, be prepared gadget. They're not concerned with whether or not they need it. I mean, do I really need a wrissmurfch with a grappling hook in it? Nah, but I'd pay a lot of money for one.

For me personally, the tinker is a super useful and practical tool but there is definitely a cool/geek factor. People will always say "is that a Swiss army knife can I see it wow cool" Some guys will snicker at it and look away. And I know they're sad on the inside because they didn't get to open all the shiny gadgets. :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 01:50:08 AM by Modern SAK »

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 11:48:19 AM

I think this is very true.  You can see it when you look at the Amazon reviews of cheap SAK-alikes that you know are of absolutely horrible quality (yes I bought one once ::)) and see how many happy customers leave 4 or 5 star reviews.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 01:05:01 PM
most just give 5 stars because it arrived on time and it looks nice..

I wish amazon would "clear out" all the useless reviews..

As i said many times before Multitools and SAKs are seen/are just gadgets to most people.  They are bought for showing off or showing someone your love and they are never used for anything else..
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 01:08:42 PM
This disgusts me.

I bought a 128 GB USB drive from E-Bay as it has 2300 reviews at 99% positive and of course it was a 8 GB dupe and he would not refund.

On the local auctions website there are two sellers specializing in Casio G-Shocks, one has 1800 reviews at 99% positive and the other has 700 reviews at 98% positive... they only sell fake G-Shocks, but they are listed as original
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 02:13:48 PM
This disgusts me.

I bought a 128 GB USB drive from E-Bay as it has 2300 reviews at 99% positive and of course it was a 8 GB dupe and he would not refund.

On the local auctions website there are two sellers specializing in Casio G-Shocks, one has 1800 reviews at 99% positive and the other has 700 reviews at 98% positive... they only sell fake G-Shocks, but they are listed as original

Rather off topic - But did you try the ebay complaints process Corwyn? - This usually works very well
I once got a full largish refund for a minor minor flaw - Felt really guitly - All I wanted was a replacement part!!

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 02:19:23 PM
I think I should have, but the prices were good, even for a 8 GB stick, the other products were ok, shipping was lightning fast and they gave me a positive mark right after paying. And stupid me also gave them a Positive before testing the goods.
Plus they were very polite and nice and kept saying I had set up the PC wrong... I just chucked it up as a loss and moved on...

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 03:22:51 PM
...I mean, do I really need a wrissmurfch with a grappling hook in it? Nah, but I'd pay a lot of money for one.

:rofl:  that NEVER gets old

de Offline Storky

• A happy fart never comes from a miserable ass.
Reply #20 on: November 04, 2015, 04:04:23 PM
Hi Etherealicer,

my D04 arrived today after playing around a little I agree with your
thoughts about the knife  :-\
Only the OHO I cannot confirm. Perhabs I'm to dumb or the spring on
mine is a little bit stronger. But no OHO means no problem by carry
the knife.
In my opinion this is stylish and friendly knife, perfect for urban and
office EDC. I'm sure there it made a good job and no one is scared.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: November 04, 2015, 04:35:33 PM
Hi Etherealicer,

the knife.
Well, I noticed that when I was playing with the Swiza in my pockets I could easily open the blade partially, so I tried it out. Just push where the Swiza logo is / or on the plane side of the blade (not the hole) and its quite ease... Of course I also can OHO the Juice albeit I find that slightly harder.

I also wouldn't worry about that too much, its just something that irks me. Make a OHO blade, or make sure you can't OHO.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 04:39:35 PM by Etherealicer »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: November 04, 2015, 04:38:33 PM
Hi Etherealicer,

the knife.
Forgot:

:worthless:

de Offline crackout

Reply #23 on: November 05, 2015, 07:09:08 AM
After years and years of SAK use I find that nailnicks are also hard to keep clean. Holes or nicks, they're both gunk magnets.
Say my name.

de Offline Storky

Reply #24 on: November 05, 2015, 08:06:57 AM
After years and years of SAK use I find that nailnicks are also hard to keep clean. Holes or nicks, they're both gunk magnets.

+1  :tu:

My SWIZA D04
swiza_01.jpg
* swiza_01.jpg (Filesize: 150 KB)
swiza_02.jpg
* swiza_02.jpg (Filesize: 114.62 KB)
saks_and_coffee_026.jpg
* saks_and_coffee_026.jpg (Filesize: 150.03 KB)
swiza_can_01.jpg
* swiza_can_01.jpg (Filesize: 59.23 KB)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: November 05, 2015, 10:35:39 AM
True dat... I just find with a simple wipe, a blade with nail nick is cleaner than one with a hole. The hole is also messier when you spread marmelade, bbq sauce and the like because the sauce goes through the hole to the other side...
Its a balance thing. I have no problems opening the tools with nail-nicks, so I do not profit much from the hole. For others that same hole might be a blessing. What some like others hate.

The only universal disadvantage from the hole design is that in order to access the large holes, the tools need to stick out of the frame a lot leading to an uncomfortable grip. And this could be corrected by having cutouts in the frame.

de Offline Storky

Reply #26 on: November 05, 2015, 11:32:58 AM
And there is no advantage for lefthand opening by the holes on multilayer knives.
You can't access i.e. the main blade hole on a D04 "from the left side" because
the can opener covers the hole. Therefore a nailnick is as usefull as the holes.
swiza_03.jpg
* swiza_03.jpg (Filesize: 41.13 KB)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 11:50:12 AM by Storky »

gr Offline firiki

Reply #27 on: November 05, 2015, 11:52:48 PM
Therefore a nailnick is as usefull as the holes.

I'm starting to think a SWIZA might be a good (in a manner of speaking) pocket knife for my wife. She has fragile nails and she's afraid to use folding knives and tools. She wouldn't be hard on it if she had one so it seems like a viable option, with its locking blade and soft springs and big nail holes. I'm not going to find out though because I can already hear her saying it's too big and besides she's perfectly happy with her little yellow Classic. I've been meaning to find her something more substantial for a while now.

:think:

gr Offline firiki

Reply #28 on: November 05, 2015, 11:59:40 PM

Maybe that is why every gosh darn tool needs a can opener and corkscrew.   :rant:

Well, I can think of at least five functions for Vic's can opener and four for the corkscrew  ;)

gr Offline firiki

Reply #29 on: November 06, 2015, 12:01:29 AM

Apart from a couple of typos everything seems in order to me :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69