Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Swisschamp or Wenger?

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Vic Swisschamp or Wenger?
on: November 05, 2015, 12:14:00 AM
So, I'm in the market for a Swisschamp, or am I? :think:  What does Wenger offer that's similar?  The Toolchest, or Champ?

I do prefer Wenger scissors and can opener, but the other implements, it doesn't matter either way.  I do like getting the hook and small blade on a Vic though. :ahhh

I'm also considering trading my Charge TTi for one, so I want to get the best deal possible.  Maybe an SOS kit?  I don't know what to do, or what I want, lol! :D

There are folks here that are FAR more knowledgeable on these than I, so I look forward to your thoughts.

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Re: Vic Swisschamp or Wenger?
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 12:15:56 AM
I have both, and must say that I like both. The wenger is bigger, but has a locking blade. But the swisschamp is an icon. Just get both!!

Sent from my outdated communication device using an obsolete application

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 12:20:28 AM
The Wenger Toolchest will always have a special place in my heart as my first SAK.  But I think the Swisschamp is better bang for buck, especially in the second hand market. 

Toolchest:
Better* scissors
Better can opener
Serrated blade (in some models)
Better awl

Swisschamp:
More backside tools
Better magnifying glass
Stronger pliers
Better file (on new models)
More compact (no useless compass tool)

I have both and like both, but I'd go for the champ.  Don't worry, regardless of which you choose, both come with equally pointless fish descalers. 

* Better = I prefer

Wenger pocket toolchest beats Victorinox minichamp though!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 12:26:33 AM by NetsNJ »

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 01:06:17 AM
The ToolChest Plus wastes a lot of space on a pretty worthless compass. If you like a pen blade than look for a Matterhorn, Pointer (lock), or ToolChest. However in the larger size I'd probably go with the Swisschamp, since length is less of a concern. If nothing else its more readily available, and probably has a better resale value.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:10:37 AM by ColoSwiss »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 01:53:46 AM
I like Wenger, and I've never bought myself a Swisschamp. However, on the wider models I'd go Victorinox.

Yes, Wenger has the locking drivers, but I'm not a fan of that aligator wrench, the mag glass has a tiny field of view and is mounted on that useless great lump of metal (why??). The compass and ruler takes up a lot of space for little benefit, and I'm even less enamoured with the Wenger pliers than with the Vic ones. I think Victorinox uses the space better, offers the plus scales, and overall gives better value in terms of functionality for the size and weight.

My recommendation would be a CT41, or even better, an SOS kit and switch out the Swisschamp for a CT41. That way you get a magnifier, ruler, and compass, AND the bit set, but without the unecessary burden of the fish tickler

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 01:56:13 AM
The Serrated Toolchest, has a plain edge pen blade instead of the nail cleaner, no stupid compass layer, and a carabiner instead of the not-so-great wrench tool.  I think it is a better model than than the Toolchest.  Just something to consider.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 03:35:54 AM
Hmmm, didn't really consider the CT41.  Guess I can add that to the list of possibilities :D  The Serrated Toolchest sounds pretty good too.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 03:45:34 AM
I recommend a Swiss Champ to start...a lotta knife for the price used, on the big auction site. Comparable Wengers can run a lot higher. Love 'em both but if they were vehicles, the Vics are the ones you go mudding in while the Wengers are the ones you cruise with on a fine Sunday afternoon. I mean if I dropped my SC in the lake I would be sad but I dropped my Pointer in the lake...I'm going in after it.   :facepalm:

That's my view...today anyway.   

:D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 10:01:23 PM
I recommend a Swiss Champ to start...a lotta knife for the price used, on the big auction site. Comparable Wengers can run a lot higher. Love 'em both but if they were vehicles, the Vics are the ones you go mudding in while the Wengers are the ones you cruise with on a fine Sunday afternoon. I mean if I dropped my SC in the lake I would be sad but I dropped my Pointer in the lake...I'm going in after it.   :facepalm:

So should I ask you tomorrow to see what you think? :D  LOL

If I were to trade my TTi, do you think I'd be better off going after a Wenger?

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 10:09:17 PM
As someone who loves my TTi and my SAKs, I wouldn't trade my TTi for one unless I was extremely sure since they fill different roles.  You can find SwissChamps on the auction site for less than $25.  I haven't been looking for the Toolchest to see what it runs.

Good luck!

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 10:20:35 PM
Swisschamp and a Traveller it is then. Problem solved, you're welcome. Next, please :D
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 10:22:45 PM
Swisschamp CT41 and a Traveller it is then. Problem solved, you're welcome. Next, please :D

Fixed your typo for you mate :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 10:27:28 PM

So should I ask you tomorrow to see what you think? :D  LOL

If I were to trade my TTi, do you think I'd be better off going after a Wenger?

It usually takes several beers days to change my mind. Still think you should start with a SC and use the heck outta it....but then.....Wengers are very nice. :whistle:

Wenger Wed lineup2.jpg
* Wenger Wed lineup2.jpg (Filesize: 85.82 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

gr Offline firiki

Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 10:39:54 PM
Swisschamp CT41 and a Traveller it is then. Problem solved, you're welcome. Next, please :D

Fixed your typo for you mate :tu:

:tu: Thank you, 50ft. That is indeed what I meant to say. I didn't only because I haven't seen a Cybertool in the flesh and I'm kind of wondering about their Philips drivers.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 10:46:44 PM

This is a great point.  I am way more comfortable using my Vics because I know they can be replaced.  The Wengers, if I break or lose them, that's it.  Might be able to find them second hand, might not.

You can find SwissChamps on the auction site for less than $25.  I haven't been looking for the Toolchest to see what it runs.

I haven't seen them for $25.  I got one for $13, but only because the seller listed it as "Swiss Army Knife" and it flew under the radar.  A huge steal.  But I rarely see Swisschamps go for less than $40.  The Toolchests are usually quite a bit more pricey.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 05, 2015, 10:59:11 PM
... I don't know what to do, or what I want, lol! :D

There are folks here that are FAR more knowledgeable on these than I, so I look forward to your thoughts.

You want both of them, SC & Serrated Toolchest >:D easy-peasy ...
To do: pick up both of them ... SAK-squeezy :D

Then, for the combo issue, i.e. having "all" tools at hand:
SC + Serrated Teton
Serrated Toolchest + DofE

Luckily you got us knowledgeable on these. So you've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky? :facepalm:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #16 on: November 05, 2015, 11:06:06 PM

This is a great point.  I am way more comfortable using my Vics because I know they can be replaced.  The Wengers, if I break or lose them, that's it.  Might be able to find them second hand, might not.

You can find SwissChamps on the auction site for less than $25.  I haven't been looking for the Toolchest to see what it runs.

I haven't seen them for $25.  I got one for $13, but only because the seller listed it as "Swiss Army Knife" and it flew under the radar.  A huge steal.  But I rarely see Swisschamps go for less than $40.  The Toolchests are usually quite a bit more pricey.

Just picked up a nice older SC for 40 bucks. They are out there.

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 11:49:27 PM

The ones with the best prices aren't labeled.  There is one on there right now with a BIN of $24.99 and free shipping.  That's more than I paid for my other three but within reasonable price.  There are some unlabelled auctions getting close to closing that have them under $25 as well.  It seems the best deals are the ones that aren't very well described.  Problem is, that takes more of your time to look than just buying.  If you find one labelled for $50 and can buy it right away, is that better than spending an hour hunting through hundreds of unlabelled to save a few bucks?  Depends on what your time is worth.  My time has value but I'm also cheap and kind of like trying to find the hidden gems.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 12:08:47 AM
Fair enough, if you are vigilant, quick (and lucky) there are some great great deals to be found.  The $13 champ was the best deal I've come across.  But as you said, it is quite time consuming combing though 10,000 classics for the couple of cool models listed under "Swiss Army Knife". 

From what I understand it seems like the best deals though are at gun shows and/or pawn shops (basically, less efficient markets), but I frequent neither. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 12:10:30 AM by NetsNJ »

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 12:37:49 AM
Never been a fan of Wenger, especially their scissors. I'm a huge fan of the Swisschamp :salute:
SAW

au Offline lshaw

Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 12:58:37 AM
I've got 70+ Vics and 1 Wenger (which was given to me - although I've used it heavily in order to compare). Why? Scissors, pliers, awl and can opener. I understand Wenger scissors have a fair following, people like the small serrations and their ability to cut slippery monofilaments and polyfilaments such as braided fishing line. However, they absolutely botch fingernails and paper compared to the clean cuts of Vic scissors. Additionally, I've never had Vic scissors slip on any fishing line. Furthermore, the spring system employed by the Wenger/Delemont scissors moves the scissor along the long axis which moves the 'cutting point' with every scissor action, making the cut less precise.

The pliers on the other hand have considerable play compared the zero play of Vics. Their ability to carry out delicate work suffers from this and to me they just seem less 'grippy' - specifically right at the end. Splinter removal, fishing applications and delicate manipulation is much easier and effective with Vic pliers in my opinion.

I'd also rather a pen blade than a nail file - that's just personal preference though.

The awl on Vics seems to have much better 'boring' ability i.e. ability to drill into hard surfaces like wood etc given the curled edge design. This would depend on the desired use of the awl of course. Perhaps the Wenger is better for other end uses that I haven't tried.

I find the Vic can opener extremely effective, the Wenger can opener is also effective but i find the bladed edge of the Vic slices the tin-lids with significantly more ease. On this count i reckon that what someone is accustomed to using would matter more than design differences.

On the other hand, I've got the evo-grip scales on my Wenger which are absolutely more ergonomic and grippy than standard cellidor, although they don't have the latter's classic appeal to me. The locking blade is also a plus HOWEVER the lock release is horrible for catching on things, and detracts from the 'holdability' of the knife - it's quite uncomfortable.

Just opinions of course, but worth considering in the overall picture.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 01:00:11 AM by lshaw »

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #21 on: November 06, 2015, 01:22:20 AM
OK, you do have me leaning towards a SC, but I really do love the Wenger scissors and can opener.  The Vic does have more pluses for me though.

Plus Scales
Pen Blade
Parcel Hook

Those three are pretty big for me.  I do also prefer the Vic tweezers over the Wenger ones.  Maybe I'll get my act together and post up a trade.  I do think the TTi is too much for a Champ, but I hate asking for more, and I'd rather trade than buy and sell.

Thank you everyone for the great comments!!

us Offline deputy tom

Reply #22 on: November 06, 2015, 02:50:39 AM
I have a Champion that I bought in the early 1970's. I did have a Toolbox plus for a while but it was too big to carry so I traded it off. I also had a Swiss Champ and really want to replace it one of these days. tom.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus ceòl The world will come to an end but music and love will endure

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #23 on: November 06, 2015, 03:45:21 AM
I have a Champion that I bought in the early 1970's. I did have a Toolbox plus for a while but it was too big to carry so I traded it off. I also had a Swiss Champ and really want to replace it one of these days. tom.

cough, cough, did someone say they are in need of a SC?  :)

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #24 on: November 06, 2015, 07:11:49 AM
Derek, I really hate to see you trade off such an excellent tool as the TTi. Tell you what, PM me your address and I will send you one of my three SwissChamps.  It wouldn't be the prettiest but it should give you a chance to test it out.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: November 06, 2015, 08:50:01 AM
Another vote for the CyberTool L
IMO the best large SAK
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #26 on: November 06, 2015, 12:59:55 PM

Derek, I really hate to see you trade off such an excellent tool as the TTi. Tell you what, PM me your address and I will send you one of my three SwissChamps.  It wouldn't be the prettiest but it should give you a chance to test it out.
Oh man, I could never accept that.  I'm blown away by the offer though!!!!!

I'd have to find something to send you..... Maybe we can work something out. :tu:

I have to say, what a great morning this is now. It was raining out before I read this, and now the rain has stopped. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #27 on: November 06, 2015, 01:00:51 PM
I did have a Cybertool Lite, but I traded it for my MP600. I didn't have the small bits, and found the light to make it too thick for not enough use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #28 on: November 06, 2015, 01:46:36 PM
Wenger does not make any knives or multitools  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gr Offline firiki

Reply #29 on: November 06, 2015, 02:00:25 PM
Thank you everyone for the great comments!!

You know we're glad to be helpful  :salute:  ( though I doubt we were any :D )

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD