Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

multitool survival skills

CQC-7 · 12 · 2698

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
multitool survival skills
on: January 19, 2007, 05:23:03 AM
Has anyone seen that SURVIVORMAN show?  It got me thinking about situations.  Les Stroud always carries some tpe of leatherman tool and he uses it to do all sorts of cool things. 

So, my question is.  What bad situations has your multitool gotten you out of?

I have used the saw on my SOG to cut small trees out of the way so we use a comealong to get one of the company vehicles out of a really bad situation when offroad in Kentucky(we left the axe in the other truck).  It was bad, got stuck at 11 am got out at 8pm.  I also used it to unstick the stubborn switch on the comealong that day as well.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Re: multitool survival skills
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 05:53:02 AM
Bad situations could be taken different ways by different people, all seperated by thier jobs and life styles. I have several good tools that I carry on a basis, and none have gotten me out of a life or death situation like Les (BTW I like Bear than Les I think....Man Vs. Wild that is...unfortunatly bear needs no tool  :P). However if you call what I get into from day to day a "bad situation" then yes, I had one today. I work in the Grocery business as an Assistant Manager and our floor machine has been broken down for 3 days, basically the 1/8 cable that lifts and drops the squeege (sp?) snapped. So I called the company and they said it could be days before someone could fix it, but if I had some elbow grease to spare I could do it myself and get it fixed quicker. Well the overnighted the part and I was over joyed to see this $55 cable I needed to install, I grabbed the XTi and got to it. It was a pain in the but to do but worth doing and learning, because the more I learn about the machines we use, the less often I have to call for help. So anyways the XTi and another pair of pliers got the job done, all said and done the floors got done and floors buffed to a polish and I was happy when I left tonight, job well done. That is about as exciting as it gets.

BTW I have been doing some research for some upcomming MT.org stuff and I am finding the SeberTech M3 to be one heck of a handy bugger in spite of it's size, I love the XTi and all but the size has got it beat for versatility. I really need to carry the M4 and see if I get any more out of it (It does have 10 impliments instead of 7). Hmmmm Anyways, anyone else got some stories to tell? They can be boring and mundane, we done mind at all!

David

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 12:09:18 PM
I drive a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 cargo van with almost 300,000 miles on it for a living.  The day I don't have a multi and SAK on me will be the day I get stuck at the side fo the road in that thing!

While I can't remember any particular stories off the top of my head where the multi was a life saver, I can most certainly think of a number of times (almost daily for at least a decade now!) that a multitool has made life a hell of alot easier and more comfortable.

Being half Scottish I am also half cheap.  I don't mind spending the money on quality stuff, but I can't see the value in throwing anything away that might have even a small amount of life left in it.  The chair I am sitting in right now is like that.  It's a simple wheeled chair with a tube frame and padded seat.  The seat back was a hunk of nylon with loops at both ends that fit over the steel tubes.  well, the nylon ripped, and even though I repaired it numerous times with paracord, fishing line etc, it was still a goner.  So, out came the drill and a few multis and now I have steel cable run through it over and over again to make a seat back that just won't quit!  Sure it looks like hell but it's comfortable!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 07:49:36 PM
I guess I lead a boring life.  :(  The only thing my multitool ever "saved" me from is a walk back to my toolbox to get a regular tool.

But ya' just never know when something bad is going to happen, so I'll keep on being prepared. Maybe someday......
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 04:31:56 AM
I used my Gerber to pull a .22 slug out of my arm on the Sabine river here in Texas. Thank god for needlenose. Didn't let that ruin my fishing trip though.

Long story on how i got shot.....    .22s bounceback from an oilrig.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 01:20:23 PM
OUCH!!  :o
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline bobofish

Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 07:57:34 AM
I used a leatherman to take a pizza out of the oven this evening. It was a lifesaver because 24 was starting!  :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 04:25:15 AM
I used a leatherman to take a pizza out of the oven this evening. It was a lifesaver because 24 was starting!  :D

Hehe...you remind me of these guys: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,603.0.html (post #5 on down)

:laugh:

Offline plowboy

Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 06:59:15 PM

That's survival.  Youv'e got to eat.

I'm happy to say that I've never been in a true survival situation....other than surviving everyday life.
 :)

Offline plowboy

Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 07:01:39 PM
CQC-7.....Between a good multi and that Emerson CQC-7 (at least I'm assuming that is where your forum title comes from), you should be in good shape.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 12:17:38 AM
Yes, I do carry a CQC-7.  Between that and the multitool I have gotten out of some sticky situations.  I have most of my bases covered.

I did use the "remgrit" saw on a gerber to remove the rest of a rusted out exhaust system on one of my old vehicles.  Much to my suprise, it worked.

Offline plowboy

Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 01:00:39 AM
I've never been big on carrying a multitool in the woods.  I never encounter many nuts, bolts, and screws out there.  But I've been reading how many folks find multis very useful in the wilds...maybe I'm going to reconsider.

CQC-7,  you should check out the new Emerson CQC-14 (the Snubby).  It's a great one too.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD