Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The possibilities of a modular SAK

lshaw · 38 · 3019

au Offline lshaw

The possibilities of a modular SAK
on: November 11, 2015, 06:26:21 AM
As a collector and regular lurker, my conclusions regarding SAKs seem to mirror those of many others: that there is not really a "perfect" SAK for all occasions. Sure, some get close, some are top notch for the office or garage and fall down in the outdoors of vice versa.

I don't doubt this has been canvassed somewhere here before, but the concept of a modular SAK has a lot of appeal. Creations such as those from Syph007 are phenomenal and 'fill in the blanks' for many people but even they can't be customised on a daily or hourly basis.

What if we could get amazing quality components from the like's of Victorinox and more easily removable scales. We could swap individual tools in and out with ease, replace broken or worn ones, change scales and lighten the unit for lightweight outdoor adventures.

I understand this is probably a pipe dream, but given the current design of Victorinox SAKs, the concept doesn't seem that unachievable. Removable pin screws, a release system under the scales. There are various previous attempts such as the one below but compared to Victorinox quality, they fail dismally.

Tell me I'm not alone in being keen for this and if you are too, how would you want it to work? What would you choose?  :think:
switchtool-15.jpg
* switchtool-15.jpg (Filesize: 63.45 KB)

ph Offline Zephon

Re: The possibilities of a modular SAK
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 06:59:21 AM
From Victorinox's point of view, I doubt they'd do it as part of what's driving sales is having different configurations.  One would buy another knife that has X components that isn't found on your current knife or you'll buy a smaller/thinner one versus the "all-in" version. 

Fit and finish could be as modular as Lego but don't try to ask for warranty if the tool you assembled yourself disintegrates while prying a crate lid or particle board.  Then there's China -- 3 months after your product's release, Chinese manufacturers have reverse engineered and have molded replacement parts that cost a fraction of the price of the original tool.  Much like what they've done to Lego....

But yeah, a modular SAK would be fun.   

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 07:07:42 AM
No way!  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

I need a reason to buy 100's of SAKs instead of the exact one I "need".  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

au Offline lshaw

Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 07:58:07 AM

I need a reason to buy 100's of SAKs instead of the exact one I "need".  :cheers:

Obviously this would be in addition to your SAKdiction

au Offline lshaw

Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 08:08:58 AM
From Victorinox's point of view, I doubt they'd do it as part of what's driving sales is having different configurations.  One would buy another knife that has X components that isn't found on your current knife or you'll buy a smaller/thinner one versus the "all-in" version. 

Fit and finish could be as modular as Lego but don't try to ask for warranty if the tool you assembled yourself disintegrates while prying a crate lid or particle board.  Then there's China -- 3 months after your product's release, Chinese manufacturers have reverse engineered and have molded replacement parts that cost a fraction of the price of the original tool.  Much like what they've done to Lego....

But yeah, a modular SAK would be fun.

I take your point, but most people in the world who buy a SAK would buy one (i know we're not most people) and the modular model would allow for upselling, on-selling etc (i.e. the Gillette 'razor and blade' model)

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 10:29:35 AM
Nope. I don't think so. People who only buy one sak wouldn't want to fiddle around.
These are the people who only buy a Classic/Spartan/Tinker/Compact/Climber/Camper/Explorer/SwissChamp/OHT
Any of these are perfect for the different levels of regular edc.

Most other models are created for us picky psychos who either collect all sorts of configurations or like to shop around for the best combo, again and again and again. If it were modular, Victorinox would lose our pennies...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 12:32:39 PM
Also, it would prevent Victorinox to ensure the quality and safety of the products. When they do them, they check for any flaw. If people could disassemble/reassemble them, it could give way to some unpropper assembled tools, with the dangers involved.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 02:38:15 PM

Obviously this would be in addition to your SAKdiction

In my defense....
1} I can quit anytime I want.
2)  They helps me relax.
3) They help me fit in at parties.
4) Chicks dig them.

:D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

scotland Offline Dunkeld

Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 02:44:32 PM
I reckon it's usually best in life if we don't get exactly what we want.

Figuring your way round not having the perfect set of tools is fun.  :cheers:

(unless you're in a freezing gale with your hands going numb)

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 02:50:39 PM
One issue I can see is how to design a reliable method of holding the tools together that allows them to freely pivot and not wobble from side to side too much, but also allow for varying overall tool thicknesses.  Screw pivots are ok in this respect, but only allow a fraction of a millimeter of adjustment.  You'd need a different length of pivot for each tool combination.  The slipjoint backsprings work against you too - they make it difficult to assemble multi layered knives.  A back lock mechanism would be better for this application.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 03:05:39 PM
I would like the old idea of being able to order custom assembled SAKs by combining existing layers (as opposed to tool sets). One could envision the process of some online ordering, then paying a hefty premium to the Swiss elves and the knife would turn up in the mail some time later. I just suspect it would be so expensive it wouldn't be worth the effort for the company. Lego has already moved a little in that direction, as you can first design your model in Lego CAD software, then order the specific bricks needed for that model (derived from the CAD).

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 03:07:06 PM
One issue I can see is how to design a reliable method of holding the tools together that allows them to freely pivot and not wobble from side to side too much, but also allow for varying overall tool thicknesses.

Dumb question: Do the tools need to be different thicknesses?
Couldn't it be designed for the base of the blade to be as thick as the scissors or pliers and just taper off to the top?
I imagine it would increase manufacturing cost, but I wonder if it would hurt ergonomics or the tool integrity...  :think:
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 03:12:36 PM
I guess one thickness to rule them all would work for some subset of tools, but it would be ugly, though. Breaks down when you e.g. would like saw and bit driver in the same knife, then you'd be hauling a lot of empty space. Also, the knife would become huge quickly if all layers are as thick as the thickest.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 03:25:57 PM
One issue I can see is how to design a reliable method of holding the tools together that allows them to freely pivot and not wobble from side to side too much, but also allow for varying overall tool thicknesses.

Dumb question: Do the tools need to be different thicknesses?
Couldn't it be designed for the base of the blade to be as thick as the scissors or pliers and just taper off to the top?
I imagine it would increase manufacturing cost, but I wonder if it would hurt ergonomics or the tool integrity...  :think:

No, but as Steinar says, it's not very elegant if they are.

I would like the old idea of being able to order custom assembled SAKs by combining existing layers (as opposed to tool sets). One could envision the process of some online ordering, then paying a hefty premium to the Swiss elves and the knife would turn up in the mail some time later. I just suspect it would be so expensive it wouldn't be worth the effort for the company. Lego has already moved a little in that direction, as you can first design your model in Lego CAD software, then order the specific bricks needed for that model (derived from the CAD).

I remember someone, years ago, telling me that it was possible to order custom SAKs from the factory - at the time I though it was very neat.  I doubt if that was ever actually an option though, at least for one-offs, and I think the guy was talking smurf.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 05:18:36 PM
I think the chance of seeing one is slim--we already have dozens of combination of tools/length to choose from, and practically it's almost semi-custom tailored to users' need.  And accounting in the possibility of people injuring themselves by wrongly put together a DIY SAK and lawsuits, I am happy as is. 

And this is true too... :D

au Offline lshaw

Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 05:00:26 AM

This is a great idea. I can't see how it would be that hard to be honest, but I'm not running victorinox. All they need to do is charge a "custom" fee.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 06:51:40 AM
2)  They helps me relax.
4) Chicks dig them.

I told myself that so many times I've started to believe it :P
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 06:55:16 AM
The Rescue Tool already has the removable window cutter saw thing, so Victorinox has already thought about this (the issue of users partly assembling there own tool).
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline parman53

• I Can Fix Anything
Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 11:07:15 AM
Most of you are saying no way/ it can't happen/ I don't want that /too much money, BUT everyone wants a Farmer with scissors and Vic isn't providing them. Maybe a modular knife and spare parts would be expensive but we could all get our scissors ;). As far as the engineering side of it of course it can be done. As far as the cost, cheaper than buying 20 or 30 different SAK's like we all have already.
 Let the flaming begin, I can take it!  :twak:

au Offline lshaw

Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 11:08:30 AM
Most of you are saying no way/ it can't happen/ I don't want that /too much money, BUT everyone wants a Farmer with scissors and Vic isn't providing them. Maybe a modular knife and spare parts would be expensive but we could all get our scissors ;). As far as the engineering side of it of course it can be done. As far as the cost, cheaper than buying 20 or 30 different SAK's like we all have already.

I'd get 20 or so in case they stopped making them one day...

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 11:48:12 AM
I think a modular SAK kind of defeats the purpose. I imagine me going somewhere and needing a tool I haven't already mounted in the handles. Out comes the case containg the handles, the rest of the implements and the tools to dis/assemble the whole thing. All this doesn't seem very practical and there are also safety issues as mentioned. Also, I might as well be carrying real tools.

... What would you choose? 

I'c choose to keep

- Pioneer Rancher
- Alox Rambler
- Spirit S
- Vic Handyman
- Huntsman
- Workchamp
- Soldier 2008

I think there are plenty of combinations possible with these :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 11:55:35 AM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 12:14:00 PM
I prefer the idea of grabbing the right tool to suit the day ahead rather than having to find time to disassemble and reassemble. Having tools that are easy to mod is good, but that doesn't appeal to me if I have to then mod tools daily or multiple times daily.

I'd much rather have a number of tools optimised for different situations, and choose from them accordingly. Get up in a morning, and grab the work tools. Get home from work and ditch those in favour of urban carry, switching again later to something more comprehensive if the phone rings because friends or family have a problem.....

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: November 15, 2015, 02:01:13 AM
 Let the flaming begin, I can take it!  :twak:

No flaming Parman.  But that's why I mod and probably why others either Mod or get somebody to do it for them.  And no, I don't particularly dream about a Farmer with scissors, but I do like the idea of a Pioneer with scissors, and having more choices in the 84mm line.

And if Victorinox won't sell them, then I'll look to Syph or Steve, or mod them myself.   :cheers:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline BASguy

Reply #23 on: November 15, 2015, 02:37:47 AM
I think it would be an interesting concept for Vic to have a custom assembly department.  I highly doubt they'd get many requests in relation to their sales volume of all models.  They could then control the quality and product integrity and deliver custom models at ridiculously marked up prices (to of course discourage custom modding).  There is zero chance of them ever selling modular tools....zip....not gonna happen.

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #24 on: November 15, 2015, 07:02:32 PM
2)  They helps me relax.
4) Chicks dig them.

1)  I dont think I CAN stop...
2)  I think modding SAKs lowers my blood pressure for sure.  Very relaxing.
3)  I do bring my SAKs to parties to show off... fitting in Im not sure about though LOL
4)  Some chicks do.. but its hard to find them.  The only one my wife thought was awesome was the one I put the red garnets on the front scales.  :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: November 15, 2015, 07:25:00 PM
2)  They helps me relax.
4) Chicks dig them.

:rofl:

2)  They helps me relax.
4) Chicks dig them.

1)  I dont think I CAN stop...
2)  I think modding SAKs lowers my blood pressure for sure.  Very relaxing.
3)  I do bring my SAKs to parties to show off... fitting in Im not sure about though LOL
4)  Some chicks do.. but its hard to find them.  The only one my wife thought was awesome was the one I put the red garnets on the front scales.  :D

:rofl:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #26 on: November 16, 2015, 04:38:50 AM
Wenger actually toyed with that concept some decades ago...  :think:

You can check their Patent for a Modular Pocket Knife

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #27 on: November 16, 2015, 10:55:59 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

Great bit of info there! :salute:

I wonder why Wenger didn't make these available in the end.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: November 16, 2015, 11:09:27 AM

+1, thanks, Ombudsman!

This thread has presented quite a lot of possible motivations for that already, but I do agree it would be interesting to know. :)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #29 on: November 16, 2015, 05:51:58 PM

Probably cause they spend all their pennies on the Business Tools. :P

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD