Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The possibilities of a modular SAK

lshaw · 38 · 3007

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: The possibilities of a modular SAK
Reply #30 on: November 16, 2015, 06:40:27 PM
Wenger actually toyed with that concept some decades ago...  :think:

(Image removed from quote.)

You can check their Patent for a Modular Pocket Knife

Great bit of info there! :salute:

I wonder why Wenger didn't make these available in the end.

Probably cause they spend all their pennies on the Business Tools. :P

Also that would be a very bulky design.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #31 on: November 16, 2015, 09:07:11 PM
My idea is different. Take the Swisschamp XLT and cut it in half. One half has the most common features, the other all the rest (hook goes with common features, fish scaler with the rest).
The two can attach using the method of the Richartz picnic knife.
Otherwise, take the perfect multitool, Victorinox Spirit. Then make a SAK that has all tools from the XLT, except those that the Spirit already has (scissors go with the SAK).

us Offline Oclip

Reply #32 on: December 22, 2015, 01:33:43 AM
Yes, I'm a very nubie here, and I want a "modular" type unit so I can express my particular choice of tools, which fit my personal needs for my lifestyle. Here is what I just wrote in my second post on this forum under "SAK Pocket Clip" Am I spoiled? Yes, I make or have made what I want! But I see I can only make so much in one lifetime!

"So then, as I realized that some of you are modding SAKS with screws, titanium dividers and scales, and I saw all the interchangeability of the tools and what you guys do, i have begun to realize the utility of the SAK at a much higher level. I propose a paradyme shift in our/your concept of the SAK. possibly all the way back to the Manufacturer level. Give me utilitarian metal scales, ie alox or Ti, with screws and threads to screw together, and let me add, change, or fix, to build a SAK as an "erector set". The ultimate in utility, or Multi-Purpose, or Multi-tool. A small benefit to you all, would be to be able to more readily "procure" the parts we/you need from Vic the Mfgr. I suspect Vic doesn't make parts available to the "public" or "custom-ers"---what a shame.

So now, who can provide me with a pair of Ti or T-6 Al (Alox) scales which screw together, so I can 'pick" my own tools, to fit my needs, as they change, over my life. Or repair them, clean them, or replace them.    How's that for Utility?          (Yes, I know there are limitations, but "what can be imagined, can be created"). You guys precede me in this SAK and Multi tool "custom" area, and are already imagining and building more than I ever imagined....until I got here!!  (You spoiled me already!!)   And rather than me going thru the learning curve/ process which the best of you have gone thru, as SAK modders. I would like to contract with a good modder, offline, who is already doing metal scales and screws, and ask him to build my "Dream Machine". I would like to delegate the manufacture of my/this unit to one who has the background, training..er ah mistakes, and the patience, to take My Dream/concept SAK to reality! (I do not want to break the rules of this site!)  Once I have it in my hand, I will go from there."

And compared to all of you, I know nothing! I do see the purpose in all your comments above. We all have different needs and uses for these wonderful mult-tools. I see greater utilitarian possibilities, as I have discovered thru you all, in the nature of the stock manufacture, and also in the nature of the "modded" manufacturing which I see here. Can't we have both?  For example, I'd like to set a SAK up for Metal Working, Wood Working, fine repair, fishing, hunting, camping etc., etc. and still be able to buy these stock selections off the shelf, as I have. In fact this is what Vic and Wenger are doing with their line of products. But how can they possibly know what I want, for my personal experiences? I just want to carry the Manufacturers direction, path and flow, to the Nth degree. As society, ie man on earth, grows, so grows his diversity and desires. Manufacturers can not possibly hope to satisfy all of us. We must build...............for ourselves. This custom "tooling" goes back even before Otzi, 3300 yrs ago, in the same area of today's Swiss, Austrian, and Italian cultures. Making our own tools is nothing "new"!  I ask to just have the parts and techniques available. This site makes the technique available.  Getting parts is very, very awkward and involved. Could I just simply list the parts I want on this site, and "collect" them for a build?   Maybe I haven't seen the option for this yet, as I am still familiarizing myself with you "Knights" and your Genre.          Thank You  Oclip       :salute:

PS. And you all know what Henry Ford said, And Mr Elsner please take this to heart!
"I'll give you the cars,....If you'll buy the parts from me!!"
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 01:40:15 AM by Oclip »
Simplicity--The Art--of Design.       "Design is an act of Misbehaving"  
        "Creativity is making the complicated simple."

"Extremely Fragile...
 Easily scarred...
 Slowly healed...
                               Our Ladies...
                               Our Desert...
                               Our Spaceship Earth..."

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #33 on: December 22, 2015, 03:39:32 AM

No way!  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

I need a reason to buy 100's of SAKs instead of the exact one I "need".  :cheers:

Right !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CHEERS

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: December 22, 2015, 09:04:46 AM
Like many have said, I too don't think Victorinox would ever be willing to go down the modular concept idea. Simply because they don't need to.
But, its plainly obvious that there is now a market between their 91mm and multitool range.
A lot has been talked about a juice sized Vic multitool. I completely agree. I think if Victorinox could design a radically new  MT combining both the proportions of their Swiss champ and more importantly using their instantly recognisable red scales.....its not hard to envisage just what would happen. It would revolutionise the somewhat stale MT/SAK market. I think it would be incredible. The product could be displayed alongside  their traditional 91mm range, they could even consider swapping the plier head for scissors/shears as well as needlenose and Blunt nose plier tips.

It would be incredible, but its not going to happen. So accept that and choose from what they currently offer. 
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

fi Offline temo

Reply #35 on: December 22, 2015, 10:25:11 AM
It does not solve the thing having different size tools. Usually bulky tools has quite much all and slim ones are having prioritised tools. But it could be great having a small size tool like this as secondary tool. So you could add some parts maybe missing from primary tool you think you would like to carry. But then I would look slim and small design.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: December 22, 2015, 04:38:46 PM
I think a lot of people would probably voice their likeness for a modular SAK concept but probably enough people wouldn't latch onto it for one reason or another. It reminds me of when people want a car that is made overseas and they want it brought to the US and sign an internet petition with tons of other people. If they do end up making it and bringing it to the states, about 12 people will buy it and the rest will complain its too expensive or about something else.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #37 on: December 23, 2015, 06:16:21 AM

accept that and choose from what they currently offer.

Most of my favorites are not current offerings. They are either out of production or mods.
R

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD