Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The great xmas walmart showcase.

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
The great xmas walmart showcase.
on: November 13, 2015, 07:12:31 AM
I hope I picked the right place for this, but most of these can be considered a tool.  Anyways... I was in wally world today and couldn't help myself. They had a whole section of stocking stuffers if you will. The value seems really good.

Hopefully people can post the good deals. And then come back and comment on what you liked or didn't on your walmart winter Wonderland steals.

3.98 each

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: The great xmas walmart showcase.
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 12:05:23 PM
Our resident evil clown posted a look at the knives at the top:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,63046.0.html

Looks like some decent catches there on the other stuff too.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 03:15:19 PM
Those gloves look like a steal!

us Offline leathermon

Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 05:09:32 PM
Those gloves look like a steal!
Not sure if you can tell from the pic, but the black ones are insulated for winter. With a free pair of red fast fits. The red one go for 15$ alone.

us Offline leathermon

Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 05:16:34 PM
Quick update. The Bushnell lights seem to be a really good value. The bigger one puts out 350 lumens and runs off 2 cr123 batteries. It had a tail switch with a "lock". Its actually pretty sweet, if you have the light on and turn the button to lock position it will turn off, switch it to unlock and it goes back on. Plus you can still use the tail switch. It also uses half clicks to toggle though hi/lo/strobe,but always reverts back to high.

The Camillus Nible is being returned, the knife was as dull as could be, and the compass was broken, the fire rod was very hard and awkward to get sparks.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 06:57:35 PM
Sadly that sounds like par for the course for Camillus.  So sad to see what was a great name being used on pure crap..... :(
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 07:04:35 PM
I posted about those gloves last year. Seems they have the same sale going on with those. I found both the normal pair and insulated pair to be poorly sewn. No that they are coming apart, but the seams are large and destroy your dexterity. My other (third) pair of Mechanix gloves that I bought as a stand alone pair are much better in quality. Just my experience after a year of use.

I forgot to add. The insulated gloves are even more of a dexterity killer and do not really keep my hands very warm so I rarely wear them.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline leathermon

Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 07:08:07 PM
Sadly that sounds like par for the course for Camillus.  So sad to see what was a great name being used on pure crap..... :(
This was my first experience with the brand, I have avoided them in the past, but really not sure why though. But I can say this has not helped there case. I understand it's lower priced, but you can put out great value products. My first kabar was a 7.99 archeon, man that thing is so sweet and sharp, it got me hooked on kabar in an instant.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 07:15:23 PM
I examined one of the Camillus sets the other day and decided it cost too much for what it was. :td:
SAW

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 07:24:12 PM

+1  :(
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline leathermon

Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 08:26:29 PM

+1  :(
I believe this is western fixed blade from when Camillus owned the brand, any thoughts?

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 09:08:01 PM
That's a lovely knife! :drool:  Camillus purchased Western in 1991, when Camillus still had a solid reputation, before the original company folded in 2007.  The current use of the name began in 2009.  I own several TL-29 lineman knives made in the US by Camillus, and they are great. :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 09:26:07 PM
That's a lovely knife! :drool:  Camillus purchased Western in 1991, when Camillus still had a solid reputation, before the original company folded in 2007.  The current use of the name began in 2009.  I own several TL-29 lineman knives made in the US by Camillus, and they are great. :tu:

+1!!!  Camillus was a top US maker when it closed it's doors. They made various Schrades, Cold steel Carbon V, Western etc and was solid quality.

That fixed blade is a fine example of an American hunting knife....

I suspect that since 2009 the name has been used used in a similar fashion as Schrade when bought by Taylor brands and all the production moved to China.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline leathermon

Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 11:24:21 PM
My dad's first hunting knife was a western he bought in the early seventies. He passed it down to me and I have been looking for them ever since. I will post some pics soon.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 01:50:43 AM
My store has a dremel and set. Definetly going on my list!

I snapped some pics and picked up some gloves with a walmart gift card i had. I couldn't help myself!!

us Offline leathermon

Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 02:15:22 AM
Is that a decent dremel tool, how about the price?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #16 on: November 14, 2015, 10:16:10 AM
You guys are lucky. Nothing like that at Walmart Canada.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #17 on: November 14, 2015, 03:10:13 PM
Is that a decent dremel tool, how about the price?
It's not bad at all. Great starter. It is not cordless but I prefer that. The batteries never last.

The price isn't the cheapest, but if you needed one I'd go for it. Otherwise wait until black friday or cyber Monday.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #18 on: November 14, 2015, 03:10:44 PM
You guys are lucky. Nothing like that at Walmart Canada.
Chako I'm sure if you saw something you liked one of us could box it up and send it to you!

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 14, 2015, 11:10:01 PM
I've got a circa late 1970s TL-29 by Camillus, back when they were made in the good old USA.  It's all I could ask for with a knife.  Easy to sharpen, keeps an edge, and tough as nails.    Same goes for my US made Old Timers, Colonials, and Imperials.   The Imperials, Colonials, and Uncle Henries (under the Schrade umbrella) that I have that are made in China are all garbage. 

My grandmother somehow managed to lose most of my Dremel accessories when I loaned it to her and the guy we had shearing sheep to sharpen a tool and work on a sheep's horn.   Either it somehow got left in the barn, or the guy that was shearing the sheep carried the accessories off. Guess she kind of owes me that box of Dremel accessories.   My grandparents mentioned needing a bright flashlight today, so guess we should pick up a couple of those Bushnell sets.

Glad to hear that I should avoid the Camillus set. I was planning on getting the keyring and keeping the knife in the "junk" bag I keep all the knives and multitools I've gotten that aren't quite up to my expectations.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 11:13:40 PM by cody6268 »

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: November 15, 2015, 10:21:43 PM
There are some very decent current Camillus knives on the market.  I've handled/used 3 of their VG-10 steel knives and they were all good quality.

I don't believe saying "Camillus was bought by a holding company and now all their stuff is crap" is reasonable but like in many things you need to be a savvy shopper to ensure that you get value.

On the other hand if you're buying sub-$10 Christmas specials from Walmart and expect them to be the epitome of knife making, well, I got some bad news for you.

us Offline SteelRaven

• Steel is a mystical thing!!
Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 04:21:25 AM
Ain't it the truth...they used to make Cold Steels Carbon V stuff...
"As a matter of Survival, all creatures are fair game"

Les Stroud.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44