Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Credit Card Tool?

england Offline Rathbone

Credit Card Tool?
on: October 10, 2023, 06:23:05 PM
Is there a good credit card tool out there? All the ones I see are cheaply priced and look like novelty Christmas stocking fillers.

I'm looking to add something in a credit card wallet that will still lie flat.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: Credit Card Tool?
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 08:32:05 PM
If we’re talking about the one-piece credit card shaped pieces of metal, I have yet to find one I think is worth carrying.

I do carry both a Vic Alox Bantam and a PWII in my wallet.  While not expressly designed for this purpose, they are thin and flat enough that they fit in there without a problem.  I also think one of the other members here carries an Alox Bantam in his phone case.

Another option to consider is the Vic Swiss Card.  I carried one in my wallet for a while years ago, until the plastic case split.  I might have expected this if I carried my wallet in a back pocket and sat on it all the time, but as a front pocket wallet carrier I was surprised, and left feeling that the durability of the Swiss Cards was rather suspect.  If you decide to try a Swiss Card, be advised that there are about three different models to choose from, so check the tool load outs of each to figure out which will be most useful for you.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 02:45:51 PM
A bit late to the party, but I agree with the above. 

There are no good credit card one piece type tools on the market.  They are all crapola.

That having been said, the SwissCard series from Victorinox was good, although kind of bulky for wallet carry.  Ditto for the slightly lower quality (but still quite good) TooLogic cards, although as Steve Padden, the owner of TooLogic was a perfectionist, I don't know how many actually made it to production and distribution without being recalled. 

He eventually retired and sold the company to SOG, which was run by Spencer Fraser, who was more of a goodenoughist and I think they released a few models under the SOG brand, but I think they were also short lived.

The only other one that I can think of that would have been worth mentioning was the Axem 4.0 from Steel Life in Italy.  It isn't a credit card tool in that it is quite a bit larger than a credit card, and likely wouldn't fit in your wallet.  Also, it has a few jaggedy bits since it's a survival tool and not an EDC tool, so I wouldn't suggest keeping it in your wallet anyway unless you want a very awkward visit to the emergency room.

Someone will probably mention that monkey shaped card and claim it was good, but trust me, they are mistaken.  Just because it's slightly better than all of the other crap on the market doesn't make it good! 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Andrii Gurskyi

• New User
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 02:47:06 PM
Is there a good credit card tool out there? All the ones I see are cheaply priced and look like novelty Christmas stocking fillers.

I'm looking to add something in a credit card wallet that will still lie flat.

Hello. You can look at our website and our multitools in the size of a credit card.
We tried to make a variety for different tasks. And they worked on them for almost 10 years.
Yes, they are not cheap. but the quality of materials and workmanship comes at a cost.
We are located in Ukraine, and during the war we restored production and warehouse. Brand  MRF.tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%