Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiza D03

dks · 99 · 16762

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Re: Swiza D03
Reply #60 on: December 20, 2015, 12:01:41 PM
you are teasing us!  :)

Yes ! I'm a french teaser LOL !
I´m sure I just missed it, but would you mond sharing/pm me the link to your shop?

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #61 on: December 26, 2015, 01:55:29 PM
you are teasing us!  :)

Yes ! I'm a french teaser LOL !
I´m sure I just missed it, but would you mond sharing/pm me the link to your shop?

Sorry but I have no shop...

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #62 on: December 26, 2015, 06:38:25 PM
Interessting design. I hadn´t them on my radar for a long time. But I like the handle shape. Sees to be rather comfortable. The blade shape is not really my tea - just like the Wenger on their Ranger series. But something I can live with it.

The toolset seems to be rather basic. Something like a Spartan, maybe? I like the look of the grippy scales, btw.

All in all an interessting design. I hope to see more in near future. But still on the pricey side here - when taking a look at the offered tools. I may get a Vic Huntsman for the price of a Swiza D03.

Just my .02 Cent.
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #63 on: December 30, 2015, 01:18:30 PM
I'd love to see one of these with wooden scales....the color choices just aren't my cup of tea at the moment, but I'm thrilled to see another Swiss knife maker.  I'd like to pick one up myself.
Barry

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #64 on: January 09, 2016, 06:51:20 PM
A video from the Swiss TV "RTS1" :

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #65 on: January 13, 2016, 01:45:08 PM
Cut some cheese, potatoes and luncheon meat and the D03 got dirty 
IMG_20160112_162828.jpg
* IMG_20160112_162828.jpg (Filesize: 74.61 KB)
IMG_20160112_162835.jpg
* IMG_20160112_162835.jpg (Filesize: 118.45 KB)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

fi Offline temo

Reply #66 on: January 13, 2016, 03:40:00 PM
Cut some cheese, potatoes and luncheon meat and the D03 got dirty

Looks just like my favourite usage with wenger :) Maybe because well polished blades SAK have. Even get dirty easy to swipe clean.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #67 on: January 23, 2016, 05:16:08 PM
DSCF8445.JPG
* DSCF8445.JPG (Filesize: 229.25 KB)
DSCF8405.JPG
* DSCF8405.JPG (Filesize: 622.5 KB)

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #68 on: January 25, 2016, 08:34:21 PM
i've been thinking about this knife for a few days now and looks like it's going on the must have list
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #69 on: January 26, 2016, 07:05:41 AM
Goatlord666, have a read through etheralicers comments on the D04 too, before you buy, as he is not that impressed.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #70 on: January 26, 2016, 08:17:25 AM
Goatlord666, have a read through etheralicers comments on the D04 too, before you buy, as he is not that impressed.
Yeah, can't say that I'm a fan :angel:

Swiza D04 - thoughts after 10 days of use
Off-Brand Challenge
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #71 on: February 01, 2016, 09:27:43 PM
Last Wednesday, with SAK collectors we went to Delemont to visit the Swiza factory...
It was a good day for us, we have been welcomed warmly by 2 important executives of Swiza/Helvetica-Brands.

During 2 hours, we spoke about all which concerns Swiza knives with full transparency :
- The company
- The strengths and weaknesses of these knives
- The future of the company
- The next knives series with new tools, new scales colors
- And lot of other subjects less or more importants

On the forum "Couteau du Monde" I wrote a report in french (my mother tong), but I suppose you will be able to use "google translate" to understand :
[LINK REMOVED]

To have more informations about "the hole" of Swiza knives (near tweezers):
[LINK REMOVED]

For autorized photos :
[LINK REMOVED]
and
[LINK REMOVED]

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 02:42:15 AM by zoidberg »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #72 on: February 01, 2016, 09:41:05 PM
Interesting report.   :cheers:

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #73 on: February 01, 2016, 09:52:06 PM
Nice report, was hoping for more details on future tools they plan on adding. 

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: February 01, 2016, 10:23:28 PM
Still not convinced, but great write-up, mate. Really passional.
That warthog tooth scaled Swiza is gorgeous. I imagine making the button was really tricky

My French skills might be lacking, but what about:
1 - the tip of the can opener breaking
2 - the blade opening when Philips is deployed
3 - I don't buy the thing "We can't fit Philips 2 because SAKs are not for important jobs..."

PS: I realise now why you are so fond of Swiza. Wenger was designed to be the French-speaking answer to Victorinox and now Swiza has taken the flame. To us outsiders, they're just Swiss, but I guess it's more than that...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #75 on: February 02, 2016, 12:05:42 AM
Nice report, was hoping for more details on future tools they plan on adding.

Next tools : cisors and wood saw

For scales, new colors

This tools and scales are already planed, this is confirmed but nobody knows when this event will arrive, this information is maintened secret.

I suppose, but it's only my idea, cisors, wood saw and new scales will arrive soon.

Lot of other informations are maintened secret, like other new tools, other kind of knives, accesories around knives, etc.

Swiza is a new company, it's also a small company and it does not at all work like Wenger or Victorinox which often gave some informations to collectors... The control of the communication seems very important at Swiza. It's understandable considering the context.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #76 on: February 02, 2016, 12:30:01 AM
Last Wednesday, with SAK collectors we went to Delemont to visit the Swiza factory...
It was a good day for us, we have been welcomed warmly by 2 important executives of Swiza/Helvetica-Brands.

During 2 hours, we spoke about all which concerns Swiza knives with full transparency :
- The company
- The strengths and weaknesses of these knives
- The future of the company
- The next knives series with new tools, new scales colors
- And lot of other subjects less or more importants

On the forum "Couteau du Monde" I wrote a report in french (my mother tong), but I suppose you will be able to use "google translate" to understand :
[LINK REMOVED]

To have more informations about "the hole" of Swiza knives (near tweezers):
[LINK REMOVED]

For autorized photos :
[LINK REMOVED]
and
[LINK REMOVED]
Nice report! That was actually pretty informative, and good for Swiza for inviting you guys, and even asking you to point out problems with their product. The "secret hole" is a little dissapointing, I was hoping for something more interesting than to display the knife....

Also, you were talking about us when you said that the Swiza was well initially recepted  internationally, except in America... To which I will say, this forum is actually Canadian :D

Thanks for taking the time to share that with us though, I don't think we would have found it otherwise.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 02:43:07 AM by zoidberg »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #77 on: February 02, 2016, 12:58:16 AM
That warthog tooth scaled Swiza is gorgeous. I imagine making the button was really tricky

You can find lot of photos about this customization here : [LINK REMOVED]

Quote from: Corwyn
1 - the tip of the canopener breaking

Honestly we meet the same problem on Victorinox knives if the tool is forced. So it's not a defect.

I don't understand exactly what you mean : please give more details. I read nothing about that.

3 - I don't buy the thing "We can't fit Philips 2 because SAKs are not for important jobs..."

It's clearly indicated on Swiza website: "No. 1 Phillips". It is not indicated "No. 2 Phillips" or higher.

"Phillips Screwdriver
This convenient, stainless steel tool features a fast, secure engaging No. 1 Phillips head and the high torque strength of 54 HRC steel.
"

PS: I realise now why you are so fond of Swiza. Wenger was designed to be the French-speaking answer to Victorinox and now Swiza has taken the flame. To us outsiders, they're just Swiss, but I guess it's more than that...

LOL ! Not at all ! I love also Okapi (German or South African), Mongin (French), Camillus (American), and Victorinox (Swiss). But I am not obliged to approve everything, and I feel free to express a negative or positive opinion.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 02:43:43 AM by zoidberg »

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #78 on: February 02, 2016, 02:01:08 AM
Nice report! That was actually pretty informative, and good for Swiza for inviting you guys, and even asking you to point out problems with their product. The "secret hole" is a little dissapointing, I was hoping for something more interesting than to display the knife....

I was also a little dissapointing about the "secret hole", it was THE question of lot of collectors. When we had the explanations, we laughed. Finally, it became a joke...

Quote from: sLaughterMed
Also, you were talking about us when you said that the Swiza was well initially recepted  internationally, except in America... To which I will say, this forum is actually Canadian :D

I didn't specially talk about Multitools.org but more globally about forums of the North American continent. I noticed that at the birth of Swiza, the welcome was some time "icy". By comparison, on Multitools.org, the critics were moderated enough.
But I didn't found the same craze which existed at the same time on the West Europeans forums where the arrival of Swiza was perceived as new luck for the collectors.

Quote from: sLaughterMed
Thanks for taking the time to share that with us though, I don't think we would have found it otherwise.
"Couteau du monde" is a new (multilingual) forum, so it's not easy to find it on the web. Sometime some posts are relayed on other forums but it's not always the case.
Until now, I didn't see any reports of visit at the Swiza factory, it is not easy to obtain a rendez-vous and generally, but the French forums share easily their informations, after all, we are all collectors... So I thought that the obtained (and authorized) documents could interest some people on this forum.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 02:35:06 AM by jcfiguet »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #79 on: February 02, 2016, 03:56:37 AM

You can find lot of photos about this customization here : [LINK REMOVED]

Honestly we meet the same problem on Victorinox knives if the tool is forced. So it's not a defect.

Thats kind of a cop out. Just because the competition has the same issue doesnt mean Swiza can pretend it isnt a poblem, and neither should you.

I don't understand exactly what you mean : please give more details. I read nothing about that.
When the Phillips driver is opened, the spring also opens the blade just enough that the blade point is exposed.

It's clearly indicated on Swiza website: "No. 1 Phillips". It is not indicated "No. 2 Phillips" or higher.

"Phillips Screwdriver
This convenient, stainless steel tool features a fast, secure engaging No. 1 Phillips head and the high torque strength of 54 HRC steel.
"

Its more of a "why put #1 Phillips when a #2 is more versatile and common". The explanation that "Swiza tools are for unimportant tasks" is again, a cop out.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 02:44:12 AM by zoidberg »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: February 02, 2016, 07:07:46 AM

I meant this: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,63179.msg1184499.html#msg1184499
I know it's a peeve but it doesn't say quality... I do no want the blade to open itself when i open the Philips...

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #81 on: February 02, 2016, 07:44:15 AM

Thats kind of a cop out. Just because the competition has the same issue doesnt mean Swiza can pretend it isnt a poblem, and neither should you.
NO, we don't. Under the conditions the Swiza breaks, none of the Victorinox even showed wear.
Victorinox will take a lot more force to show similar damage.

I tested it twice with two brand new Swizas. I tested it with a well worn Spartan / CT29 and a Pioneer.
The test was steel screws into an aluminium frame until the thread in the aluminium breaks. In order for this to happen you need moderate force.

- Victorinox 91/93mm line made it without even showing the slightest wear :2tu:
- Victorinox 58mm I could not exert enough force (it collapsed on me several times) YET despite my effort there was NO SIGN OF WEAR.

- Both Swizas showed significant wear (chipping and bending) :td:

HONESTLY, we DON'T have the same problem on Victorinox!!!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 07:46:20 AM by Etherealicer »

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: February 02, 2016, 11:07:54 AM
I was kind of assuming the "not for important work" was some sort of mistranslation, possibly meant to say "not for heavy duty work" but no, the French original is the same (at least according to my abysmal school French).

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #83 on: February 02, 2016, 11:14:03 AM
The can opener :
I could show you Victorinox can openers with broken tips... So visually the problem is the same... You can say "I need to moderate my force to not brake the can opener of a swiza knife", but without scientist test with a real force measurement this statement is irrelevant.
You have also to considerate that Victorinox and Swiza use differents stainless steel. It is possible that the Swiza steel is more breakable.
But... The steel of Swiza is also planned to go to the dishwasher... Each person can bring arguments...
I do not like the can opener of Victorinox nor the can opener of Swiza, but I prefer the former model used by Wenger, because IMO if this kind of can opener is effective to open a can of food the screwdriver will always have a weakness due of the conception.
New knife, new concept (more "urban use"), thus new context of use. In every cases, if you break it, the guarantee for life will offer you a solution (like Victorinox) !

"When the Phillips driver is opened, the spring also opens the blade just enough that the blade point is exposed" :
Yes it's true ! Just a precision: it exists only on the models of Swiza "1 layer". On Wenger and Victorinox, it occurred on all models but the blade got up less so it was less dangerous and less visible.
I understand it is a problem for lot of persons, you should contact Swiza to indicate it.

The screwdriver Philips N°1 :
I'm sorry but every body can say "I don't buy this idea" or "it's a cop out"... But... If you buy a city-car you don't buy an all-terrain vehicle and if you use your city-car like an all-terrain vehicle, you will have problems !

In conclusion, My objective is not to convince people nor to make change their opinion, but to present a new brand of Swiss army knives. This approach cannot be completelly neutral, it's necessarily accompanied with enthusiasm, "to present" is also "to promote" with own sensibilities and affinities.
On a new knife with with a new production, each knows that little problems can exist.
Before shouting, it is advised to read the indications of use and to respect them.
Exists also an after-sales service and each can also contact the company to expose the problems he met (an email, photos, a text, etc.).
And each can also express his wishes to the company!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 11:23:39 AM by jcfiguet »

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #84 on: February 02, 2016, 11:22:36 AM
I was kind of assuming the "not for important work" was some sort of mistranslation, possibly meant to say "not for heavy duty work" but no, the French original is the same (at least according to my abysmal school French).

Yes, you are true... The exact translation is "not for heavy duty work".

Sorry, English is not my mother tong an translators are not still precise with nuances.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #85 on: February 02, 2016, 01:08:21 PM
The can opener :
I could show you Victorinox can openers with broken tips... So visually the problem is the same... You can say "I need to moderate my force to not brake the can opener of a swiza knife", but without scientist test with a real force measurement this statement is irrelevant.
You have also to considerate that Victorinox and Swiza use differents stainless steel. It is possible that the Swiza steel is more breakable.
But... The steel of Swiza is also planned to go to the dishwasher... Each person can bring arguments...
First, I'm a bonafide scientist (with all the credentials including title and publications in well placed journals) :D

It is not about "if it breaks" (everything can be broken) but "at what point it breaks". I did not turn the screw until the tool broke and judge the strength arbitrarily. The test limits the max power and answers a simple question. At this rather consistent force level, does the tool take damage or not.
So, how relevant is this test? Very much so!
- Force limit is so low, now tool should break at that.
- Force limit is consistent between tools
- I used 2 Swizas, both brand new ( that is one knife more than most reviews  ;))

Exactly and that is what the test shows, the steel is not up to the task.
My Vics have all (exception the cellulose scales and those with electronics) been in the dishwasher with no ill effect.

I do not like the can opener of Victorinox nor the can opener of Swiza, but I prefer the former model used by Wenger, because IMO if this kind of can opener is effective to open a can of food the screwdriver will always have a weakness due of the conception.
I prefer the small electrician screwdriver over the can-opener because what is the point of a can-opener on an urban-knife?

New knife, new concept (more "urban use"), thus new context of use. In every cases, if you break it, the guarantee for life will offer you a solution (like Victorinox) !
What does "more urban use" mean if not tightening a screw on a computer?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #86 on: February 02, 2016, 01:12:59 PM
 :pok:  Did you take acceleration/deceleration into consideration?  Maybe you spun the swiza faster so the force to get the screw rotating, as well as the force when it stopped was larger   :think: :think: 

:) :)

Have you had your 2nd replacement yet?

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #87 on: February 02, 2016, 01:34:06 PM

I prefer the small electrician screwdriver over the can-opener because what is the point of a can-opener on an urban-knife?

Ask a clochard about that  ;)

What does "more urban use" mean if not tightening a screw on a computer?

You mean Swiss chalets aren't yet equipped with (state of the art) informatics machinery?  :o
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #88 on: February 02, 2016, 01:36:05 PM
If the screwdriver of the can opener breaks by screwing or by unscrewing a screw of computer, knives seem to have a real problem!

I made harder works (without trying to break the screwdriver) and I had no problem, the screwdriver was not even scratched !
I am not the only one to have made the similar tests with the same good results.

I suggest you to ask simply for the replacement and to redo this test with new knives. It is possible that your series of knives was defective.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #89 on: February 02, 2016, 07:04:24 PM
I confess, I had to use an online translator  :D Nice reports, and some good information  :salute:

Regarding the driver on the can opener, I agree that inconsistencies are very possible at this stage, and I hope to see more consistent reports later once we've moved beyond the initial batches of knives.

The Phillips #1 vs #2:
We have two conflicting opinions here. One is that Swiza have attempted to make the knife more robust, with larger pins and stainless liners. The other is that the driver was not designed for heavier use. However, the Victorinox drivers work well in #2 screws, providing you don't overdrive it or sprian the tool on a stuck screw. Also, Phillips #2 are very common, and the knife would be far more useful to a lot of people if the drivers could handle more types of screw, even if it couldn't handle high torque.

Having briefly handled a Swiza, I can say that the ergonomics are better than I thought they would have been, and I can see why some would like it and others would not. I haven't done any "testing" as the tool wasn't mine, but I did spot a couple of areas for concern in terms of long term durability. It will be interesting to see how they evolve in terms of design, quality, consistency and value.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD