Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiza D03

dks · 99 · 16825

fr Offline jcfiguet

Re: Swiza D03
Reply #90 on: February 02, 2016, 08:54:20 PM
I confess, I had to use an online translator  :D Nice reports, and some good information  :salute:

Regarding the driver on the can opener, I agree that inconsistencies are very possible at this stage, and I hope to see more consistent reports later once we've moved beyond the initial batches of knives.

The Phillips #1 vs #2:
We have two conflicting opinions here. One is that Swiza have attempted to make the knife more robust, with larger pins and stainless liners. The other is that the driver was not designed for heavier use. However, the Victorinox drivers work well in #2 screws, providing you don't overdrive it or sprian the tool on a stuck screw. Also, Phillips #2 are very common, and the knife would be far more useful to a lot of people if the drivers could handle more types of screw, even if it couldn't handle high torque.

Having briefly handled a Swiza, I can say that the ergonomics are better than I thought they would have been, and I can see why some would like it and others would not. I haven't done any "testing" as the tool wasn't mine, but I did spot a couple of areas for concern in terms of long term durability. It will be interesting to see how they evolve in terms of design, quality, consistency and value.

Good summary !

Conflicting opinions are "human" when a new brand arrives on the market.
The main references about Swiss knifes (for a majority of persons) are Victorinox and Wenger. So, some would like to find the same tools, same use, same philosophy, etc.
With 2 similar brands born in 1890's in Switzerland, it's easy to make comparaisons and to say, for example, I prefere the can opener of Victorinox or I prefere the magnifier of Wenger. But these comparaisons will not be really possible between a Mercator or a Laguiole and a Swiss knife.
With a new brand like Swiza this kind of comparisons are more difficult: Swiza is also a Swiss knife, but its design is recent. Some tools also exist on Victorinox, but operate differently on Swiza, other tools like Phillips N°1 appear, etc...
And we must not forget that Swiza started from a "white sheet" and nobody said that Swiza knives are made for same people, same activities, same use that Wenger or Victorinox knives are made for.
IMO, the Swiza knives are on another market place. The Victorinox market and Swiza market are complementary, not competitors. 

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #91 on: February 02, 2016, 09:42:15 PM
I confess, I had to use an online translator  :D Nice reports, and some good information  :salute:

Regarding the driver on the can opener, I agree that inconsistencies are very possible at this stage, and I hope to see more consistent reports later once we've moved beyond the initial batches of knives.

The Phillips #1 vs #2:
We have two conflicting opinions here. One is that Swiza have attempted to make the knife more robust, with larger pins and stainless liners. The other is that the driver was not designed for heavier use. However, the Victorinox drivers work well in #2 screws, providing you don't overdrive it or sprian the tool on a stuck screw. Also, Phillips #2 are very common, and the knife would be far more useful to a lot of people if the drivers could handle more types of screw, even if it couldn't handle high torque.

Having briefly handled a Swiza, I can say that the ergonomics are better than I thought they would have been, and I can see why some would like it and others would not. I haven't done any "testing" as the tool wasn't mine, but I did spot a couple of areas for concern in terms of long term durability. It will be interesting to see how they evolve in terms of design, quality, consistency and value.

Good summary !

Conflicting opinions are "human" when a new brand arrives on the market.
The main references about Swiss knifes (for a majority of persons) are Victorinox and Wenger. So, some would like to find the same tools, same use, same philosophy, etc.
With 2 similar brands born in 1890's in Switzerland, it's easy to make comparaisons and to say, for example, I prefere the can opener of Victorinox or I prefere the magnifier of Wenger.
But these comparaisons will not be really possible between a Mercator or a Laguiole and a Swiss knife.
With a new brand like Swiza this kind of comparisons are more difficult: Swiza is also a Swiss knife, but its design is recent. Some tools also exist on Victorinox, but operate differently on Swiza, other tools like Phillips N°1 appear, etc...
And we must not forget that Swiza started from a "white sheet" and nobody said that Swiza knives are made for same people, same activities, same use that Wenger or Victorinox knives are made for.

IMO, the Swiza knives are on another market place. The Victorinox market and Swiza market are complementary, not competitors.

Then why kick off the initial ad campaign comparing themselves to the two well established Swiss brands?

"Delémont, October 21, 2015 – The legendary Swiss Knife has been given a redesign for the first time in decades."

"The SWIZA Swiss Knife represents a revolutionary redesign of the legendary Swiss Knife"

"This new Swiss Knife is destined to become the new standard in Pocket Knives  and a useful, versatile and must-have accessory for anyone that wants to be prepared for the challenges and adventures that everyday life offers."
  That sorta parallels Vic's "Your Companion For Life" theme....  ::)

Swiza themselves invited the comparisons IMO.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #92 on: February 02, 2016, 09:52:46 PM
You oldtimers, always remembering the past.......

:rofl:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #93 on: February 02, 2016, 10:14:59 PM
You oldtimers, always remembering the past.......

:rofl:

Less and less to look forward to.... :D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #94 on: February 02, 2016, 10:35:58 PM
:bdh:

Interesting how the people at SWIZA thought about putting a display and anti-theft attachement point for their knives but couldn't come up a better design for the awl... or a new design for a can opener...

Sounds like a conspiracy theory: "We'll discredit the SAK so much that eventually Victorinox will go bankrupt":D
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #95 on: February 02, 2016, 10:50:45 PM

Then why kick off the initial ad campaign comparing themselves to the two well established Swiss brands?

"Delémont, October 21, 2015 – The legendary Swiss Knife has been given a redesign for the first time in decades."

"The SWIZA Swiss Knife represents a revolutionary redesign of the legendary Swiss Knife"

"This new Swiss Knife is destined to become the new standard in Pocket Knives  and a useful, versatile and must-have accessory for anyone that wants to be prepared for the challenges and adventures that everyday life offers."
  That sorta parallels Vic's "Your Companion For Life" theme....  ::)

Swiza themselves invited the comparisons IMO.

I'm not sure that Swiza themselves invited the comparisons... I think lot of "bla bla bla" of journalists in newspapers or at the TV made comparisons.
Also members/collectors on forums (me too ! LOL) because naturally we used comparisons between Victorinox and Wenger, so why not between Swiza and Victorinox...
But Swiza, never really committed to the comparison, either on its website or on FaceBook.

After 3 months of Swiza life, a visit to the factory, the contact with employees Swiza, etc. My opinion has also changed in some areas and the idea of ​​competing against Victorinox I imagined is now much less than I thought.

However you raise an interesting point : On the website of Swiza, you can change the language... In French, the text "This new Swiss Knife is destined to become..." does not really exists ! The French text is softer... 
So I think that communication is suitable for the supposed cultural backgrounds...
I think it's not a good idea, I'd prefer a standard text, only translated correctly, this would avoid problems of understanding.

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #96 on: February 03, 2016, 03:04:42 AM
So I thought that the obtained (and authorized) documents could interest some people on this forum.

Please feel free to share the information here at MTo and not via links to a site that you administrate.   :cheers:

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #97 on: February 03, 2016, 09:52:12 AM
So I thought that the obtained (and authorized) documents could interest some people on this forum.

Please feel free to share the information here at MTo and not via links to a site that you administrate.   :cheers:

Sorry but this post is very long and I have not enough time to translale it.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #98 on: March 21, 2016, 08:41:32 PM
Used the can opener.
It worked very well. There seems to be some minor damage on the edge, barely visible rolling/chipping at 2 places (1/10th of a mm), but this may have been there from before.

The bamboo shoots were really awful - never buy them.
IMG_20160321_181843.jpg
* IMG_20160321_181843.jpg (Filesize: 78.73 KB)
IMG_20160321_182121.jpg
* IMG_20160321_182121.jpg (Filesize: 79.48 KB)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%