Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are SWIZA knives SAKs?

Grathr · 126 · 10917

Poll

Are SWIZA knives SAKs?

Yes
18 (31.6%)
No
24 (42.1%)
Sacrilege! they should not even be in the Swiss Army Knights forum!
15 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 55

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Are SWIZA knives SAKs?
on: November 21, 2015, 05:23:43 PM
I have been thinking a bit about this. Are SWIZA knives SAKs?
It looks like one, its Swiss made, but it has no connection with the swiss army. The counter argument would be that neither does most of the Vic models. If I have understood it right,(feel free to correct me)  only the Soldier/standard issue knives has been issued to the Swiss Army. So all the other models are really not Swiss "Army" Knives.
I know there might be some emotions regarding this issue, so please keep the discussion civilised and friendly ;)

Oh! And dont forget to vote in the poll :D
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Re: Are SWIZA knives SAKs?
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 05:44:37 PM
They are SKs not SAKs

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 05:48:41 PM
I just posted a similar poll....  :facepalm:

I did not see yours.. :ahhh
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 05:50:38 PM
They are SKs not SAKs

I would agree, they don't have the 'Army' heritage
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 06:02:07 PM
The Swiza knives are multipurpose knives which happen to be made in Switzerland. They haven't supplied knives to the Swiss Army, and so cannot claim the honour of being producers of Swiss Army Knives.

However, whilst Victorinox can claim that honour, many of the knives they have produced are not SAKs, even though we call them that. So we have actual Swiss Army Knives, knives made by makers of Swiss Army Knives, and then we have other Swiss knife makers who haven't yet made anything for the Swiss or maybe any other army.

Swiza Should in my mind be collated with the multipurpose knives made in Solingen or elsewhere. The Boker Plus Tech Tools would be another example. Oh, and I don't consider them "sak-alikes" either. Multipurpose pocket knives have been around for centuries, way before the internet bourne misconception that SAKs are where it all started
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 06:03:13 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

no Offline Grathr

Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 06:04:21 PM

They are SKs not SAKs

So to be able to call it Swiss Army Knives they must first supply the swiss army with a batch of knives?

no Offline Grathr

Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 06:12:07 PM

The Swiza knives are multipurpose knives which happen to be made in Switzerland. They haven't supplied knives to the Swiss Army, and so cannot claim the honour of being producers of Swiss Army Knives.

However, whilst Victorinox can claim that honour, many of the knives they have produced are not SAKs, even though we call them that. So we have actual Swiss Army Knives, knives made by makers of Swiss Army Knives, and then we have other Swiss knife makers who haven't yet made anything for the Swiss or maybe any other army.

Swiza Should in my mind be collated with the multipurpose knives made in Solingen or elsewhere. The Boker Plus Tech Tools would be another example. Oh, and I don't consider them "sak-alikes" either. Multipurpose pocket knives have been around for centuries, way before the internet bourne misconception that SAKs are where it all started

You have a point there. I have been a little unsure of where to post threads about the Boker, Sanrenmu and other multipurpose pocket knives (MPK's ?) they are not exactly cheap and cheerful either.
Maybe there should be a separate subforum for multipurpose pocket knives where Swiza belongs?

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 06:12:27 PM

They are SKs not SAKs

So to be able to call it Swiss Army Knives they must first supply the swiss army with a batch of knives?

I would say so, although that is not the origin of the name iirc
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 06:13:33 PM

What Al said  :tu:

hr Offline styx

Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 06:14:49 PM
I agree with Al. I see them more like the Case Scout (and other similar knives)
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 06:21:24 PM
the cross, in red, the country of origin, the makers, the corkscrew, the tweezers, they all hint/point/show that it is closer to a SAK, than to  a scout knife

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 06:38:34 PM

+100!!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 07:03:41 PM
I agree with Al. I see them more like the Case Scout (and other similar knives)

Another good example  :tu:

the cross, in red, the country of origin, the makers, the corkscrew, the tweezers, they all hint/point/show that it is closer to a SAK, than to  a scout knife

I'm not sure I can agree with that. Similarities in geography and styling don't make it into something it's not, even if some of the people there started their cutlery career under the SAK banner. It's obviously more Swiss than a Solingen knife, or the Nontron multipurpose knife, or a Sheffield knife, but it's no more a Swiss ARMY knife.

Several companies can claim to be GAK or DAK makers, but as of this moments, there's only only company can claim to make SAK. If we don't make this distinction, do we start calling all multipurpose knives from Solingen GAKs? No, of course we don't. It's just another knife based multitool maker that has to stand or fall on it's own merits/products.

Maybe there should be a separate subforum for multipurpose pocket knives where Swiza belongs?

Maybe that's long overdue, and maybe we should be putting the Buck X-Tracts, Kershaw Select Fire and other stuff in there too  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline cody6268

Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 07:12:00 PM
If your'e a stickler, the only real Swiss Army Knives (those actually issued to the Swiss Army) only number less than a dozen--Model 2008, Model 1961, Model 1891, etc. But to me, a Swiss Army Knife is only made by Victorinox and Wenger, since they were the makers of the knives actually issued to the Swiss Army.

So, no.  To me, the Swiza is a an attempt to fix what isn't broken by former Wenger employees. 

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 07:13:47 PM
I think Swiss Army Knife is an idea / a mystical power promoted by Victorinox and a bit of help by MacGyver. And I think it takes more than delivering a couple of knifes to the Swiss Army.

Its more like a Nobel price... before you get the honor you have to proof that your work can stand in time.

As for the forum, it sorta makes sense to put it in the Swiss Army Knights Forum, they are Swiss and by design similar to the offerings from Victorinox, I even think the Böker City Tool is right here... after all we give out Swiss Army Knights title to people who are neither Swiss nor have served in the Swiss military :D

Personally, I'd call it SACK-messer anyway (means pocket-knife, got that confused in the beginning). ;)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 07:17:10 PM
If your'e a stickler, the only real Swiss Army Knives (those actually issued to the Swiss Army) only number less than a dozen--Model 2008, Model 1961, Model 1891, etc. But to me, a Swiss Army Knife is only made by Victorinox and Wenger, since they were the makers of the knives actually issued to the Swiss Army.

So, no.  To me, the Swiza is a an attempt to fix what isn't broken by former Wenger employees.
Technically we could even go further:

Victorinox  - Original Swiss Army Knife
while
Wenger - Genuine Swiss Army Knife

these are legally protected terms
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: November 21, 2015, 07:43:46 PM

Technically we could even go further:

Victorinox  - Original Swiss Army Knife
while
Wenger - Genuine Swiss Army Knife

these are legally protected terms

So could one go further......

Swiza - Wannabe Swiss Army Knife

:whistle:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 21, 2015, 08:18:47 PM
Don't get me wrong, I hope I don't sound too rude or stupid, but I don't really care. They look like an nice option and as pointed above they're very close to a vic (some are going  :ahhh with this statement). For the sake of finding swiss things on the swiss forum keep it simple and don't overthink. Apologize in advance in case I offended someone or something, blah blah blah...

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #18 on: November 21, 2015, 08:27:05 PM
I showed one to someone involved for decades with SAKs, who even knew swiza from their other products and he said it looked pretty good.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 06:14:21 AM
I've always interpreted "Swiss army knife" as referring to the generic type, or classification.

If I entered "Swiss army knife" into a search engine it's going to take me to information about Victorinox, and Karl or Carl Elsener.  Actual issued knives will barely be mentioned.

If I needed to find information about an actual, military issued, model of Swiss army knife I would look up "knives issued to the Swiss Army," or something like that.

The word, "issued" makes a difference in the search parameters, so it should also make a difference in whats in your pocket.  Or, you could just say that I have OCD and leave it at that.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: November 22, 2015, 07:53:08 AM
Personally, I'd call it SACK-messer anyway

True. SUCK-messer is a perfectly suitable name.  :D
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: November 22, 2015, 10:03:58 AM

+100!!!!

+1  :)

IRC, the name "SAK" was termed by US soldiers referring to Victorinox products made for Swiss Army back in the war time, before the brand name Victorinox was used.  So one way or another, I associated this term 'SAK' more like a brand name, than a genre.

Meanwhile, it probably is unfair to call every other knife-based MT as a SAK wanna-be(though it is the holy grail, due to their unparalleled knife/MT market domination).  In fact, I love to see more variation and innovation from other brands, so we'll get to see more interesting products than just mere reiteration of the same product.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #22 on: November 22, 2015, 11:38:33 AM
I agree with Grant.

What? He didn't say his opinion yet? Never mind, whatever he will say, I'll agree.

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #23 on: November 22, 2015, 12:01:59 PM
So I'm thinking this is already sorted with the technical perspective of a multitool with a knife supplied to the swiss army but...

If you have a soldier model, how much can it change and still be a sak? Can a Pioneer, essentially the old soldier, still be the sak? Can my One Handed Trekker, a 2008 Soldier without the serration and with different scales, be a sak?

"Go home Grass."

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #24 on: November 22, 2015, 04:20:08 PM
My definition of Swiss Army Knife does not include anything not made by either Victorinox or Wenger and their historical predecessors, so my vote is no. fwiw :P

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: November 22, 2015, 04:32:49 PM
So I'm thinking this is already sorted with the technical perspective of a multitool with a knife supplied to the swiss army but...

If you have a soldier model, how much can it change and still be a sak? Can a Pioneer, essentially the old soldier, still be the sak? Can my One Handed Trekker, a 2008 Soldier without the serration and with different scales, be a sak?

"Go home Grass."

Think of it as a family....

I still carry my grandfather's name and although I'm very different from him in every aspect, that name, history and experience still qualifies me for a place in the family. It's up to me if I live up to my family's expectations.

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #26 on: November 22, 2015, 04:41:07 PM
So, if your surname was "butcher" or "major" what would that require.   :D :D :D :D

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #27 on: November 22, 2015, 05:01:39 PM
Also, I don't call knockoffs Swiss Army Knives, no matter where they come from, just like I don't call my Spirit a Leatherman. A matter of definition.  :P

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: November 22, 2015, 06:24:48 PM
For the record,no I don't think SWIZAs are SAKs.

But,by definition,neither is the 108mm Victorinox built to German spec for the German army,yet it is covered by our Swiss sub forum,and has its honoured place in the sakwiki.

By the same logical progression,Delemonts can't really claim to be SAKs either,except that they're made by Victorinox
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #29 on: November 22, 2015, 06:33:51 PM
well, we all know who is to blame for Wengers downfall .....

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%