Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are SWIZA knives SAKs?

Grathr · 126 · 10927

Poll

Are SWIZA knives SAKs?

Yes
18 (31.6%)
No
24 (42.1%)
Sacrilege! they should not even be in the Swiss Army Knights forum!
15 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 55

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Are SWIZA knives SAKs?
Reply #60 on: December 04, 2015, 10:22:15 PM
[...]but I never say insults to anybody or other things like that.
Comparing people to a dictator is an insult! This is your last warning.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #61 on: December 04, 2015, 10:23:50 PM
I assume calling someone Stalinist or an oppressor of black people is not considered an insult in some areas..  :facepalm:

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #62 on: December 04, 2015, 10:31:56 PM
Let's return to a more constructive discussion.

Being a SAK is like a title of honor, an Olympic Gold medal. Not every athlete automatically gets that Olympic Gold medal, he needs to earn it or else the title is without value.
To me Swiza is like a new athlete, still trying to qualify for the Olympics after all its very new and we have very few reviews on it, it is also still in a very basic form (no saw, no scissors etc.). So, first it has to proof it is good enough for the Olympics and then it takes years of hard work to win that gold.

Anyway, that is how I feel.

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #63 on: December 04, 2015, 10:33:54 PM
Oh ffs another thread going down the rabbit hole!
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #64 on: December 04, 2015, 10:34:39 PM

Being a SAK is like a title of honor, an Olympic Gold medal. Not every athlete automatically gets that Olympic Gold medal, he needs to earn it or else the title is without value.
To me Swiza is like a new athlete, still trying to qualify for the Olympics after all its very new and we have very few reviews on it, it is also still in a very basic form (no saw, no scissors etc.). So, first it has to proof it is good enough for the Olympics and then it takes years of hard work to win that gold.

Good analogy  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #65 on: December 04, 2015, 10:35:38 PM
Personally I've found this is a very friendly, easy-going forum that is generally quite open to differing opinions.  The main areas of friction that I've noticed is when discussion veers off into politics and religion, where strongly held beliefs can cause trouble (so I'm quite happy those topics are off-limits).

Of course sometimes some people can confuse their personal opinions with "facts" and can't cope with someone else having differing views  :pok:

To get back on-topic, I don't have any strong opinion either way.  I believe it comes down to who you recognize as "the authority" on SAKs. 

If you go by common usage I'm sure the overwhelming majority of the general public would happily describe the Swiza's as a "SAK", because to them it looks much like the other "SAKs" they see.  They would probably happily include all the similar looking knives that are made elsewhere (China, Japan etc).

On the other hand some purists might insist that unless a particular model was actually officially issued to the Swiss army then it isn't really a SAK.  So all the other models produced by Vic and Wenger are not SAKs.

And then there is the considerable middle ground between these two extremes. I just don't see any need to get all emotional about the issue, it is difficult (some would say impossible) to change people's opinions when strong emotions and beliefs get involved.  So maybe just agree to disagree is the safest course ?   :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 10:46:17 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #66 on: December 04, 2015, 10:37:34 PM

Being a SAK is being... Victorinox ? What a big choice !!!

Oh sorry I think it's also an insult ?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: December 04, 2015, 10:41:19 PM
The REAL BIG dilemma will come if the Swiss Army places an order for some knives that are made outside of Switzerland! All bets will be off then :ahhh :ahhh

:rofl:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #68 on: December 04, 2015, 10:43:57 PM

Yes, mostly Victorinox. They put a lot of work into that reputation. Swiss Army Knifes are known and liked in the whole world. Also Wenger.

Böker makes great pocket multi function knives with the City Tool line, but I would not consider them SAK. Böker is probably OK with that, they probably want to stay on their own feet, build something on their own.

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #69 on: December 04, 2015, 10:50:40 PM
The REAL BIG dilemma will come if the Swiss Army places an order for some knives that are made outside of Switzerland! All bets will be off then :ahhh :ahhh

As the Swiss law has changed, now Swiss Army could order knives outside of Switzerland.
Even it's not probable, it's could be possible...

In this case the argument " the title of SAK is reserved for the manufacturer who makes knives for the army " will not be valid any more...

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #70 on: December 04, 2015, 10:54:44 PM

As the Swiss law has changed, now Swiss Army could order knives outside of Switzerland.

In this case the argument " the title of SAK is reserved for the manufacturer who makes knives for the army " will not be valid any more...
The ties of Switzerland with European Union require that all large purchase are open to international competition. That is one of the reasons the Swiss Army now has a large, locking OHO knife, as this is considered a weapon and therefore not subjected to the rule above (weapon deals can always be restricted to national companies).

But essentially yes, the Swiss Army has the right to purchase knifes from any company in the world.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #71 on: December 04, 2015, 11:08:06 PM
When making a translation, translators can be faced with the dilemma of having to choose between using the correct term/syntaxis instead of what is being (wrongly) used by the native speakers of the language in which they are translating. Writting down what is lexically, grammatically or syntactically correct could be seen as wrong!

I gather that in the USA the name Leatherman has come to mean a pliers-based multitool in general. Does this mean every pliers-based multitool is a Leatherman? No. So why should Swiza knives be considered SAKs?

In any case, on their website http://www.swiza.com/en/Brand/News/Press-Center/A-legend-reborn-SWIZA-reinvents-the-Swiss-Knife.html they speak of "Swiss knife" not Swiss army knife

Switzerland has a new knife! The legendary Swiss Knife has been given a redesign for the first time in decades.

I guess people at Swiza don't see their product as a SAK after all. Maybe they forgot to put the word "army" in their bulletin? :shrug:

Edit: Corrected some errors.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 11:11:06 PM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #72 on: December 04, 2015, 11:12:37 PM
Victorinox owns the license on "Swiss Army" branded goods in general, not just "Swiss Army Knife".  (In fact, if I remember correctly, this is quite controversial.  Basically a transfer of public brand name to a private company.)  Anyways, I think if Swiza said "Swiss Army", they'd be in legal trouble in the USA and EU.

Edit: From Wikipedia

In August 2002, Victorinox acquired the American company Swiss Army Brands, Inc (SABI), to unify and gain control of the Victorinox and Swiss Army watch brands. Previously Swiss Army Brands, Inc (SABI) had sold the Swiss Army branded watch in North America and under license had sold the Victorinox branded watch outside North America. But after Victorinox AG acquired Swiss Army Brands, Inc (SABI), a combined Victorinox Swiss Army brand was created and has been marketed worldwide.
Victorinox has licensed the Swiss Army brand and shield logo to companies producing watches, writing tools, luggage and clothing.

The Swiss Defense Ministry has given Victorinox permission to brand products as "Swiss Army".  Swiza has no such concession.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 11:26:02 PM by NetsNJ »

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #73 on: December 04, 2015, 11:13:49 PM

Yes, mostly Victorinox. They put a lot of work into that reputation. Swiss Army Knifes are known and liked in the whole world. Also Wenger.

Böker makes great pocket multi function knives with the City Tool line, but I would not consider them SAK. Böker is probably OK with that, they probably want to stay on their own feet, build something on their own.

The "title" of SAK is not a like the title of "Champion of the World", with only 1 champion for 1 year, with new competition and generally a new champion every years... So SAK is not a title.

If the word SAK is reserved only for Victorinox, so we don't need to keek this word, all knives made in Switzerland could to become simply Swiss Knives.

And Victorinox ? Victorinox stay the bigest and historical manufacturer of Swiss knives.

Why a special name like SAK or like a title only for 1 manufacturer of knives ? In that case, the value of a special name like SAK is no longer justified.

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #74 on: December 04, 2015, 11:18:32 PM

The ties of Switzerland with European Union require that all large purchase are open to international competition. That is one of the reasons the Swiss Army now has a large, locking OHO knife, as this is considered a weapon and therefore not subjected to the rule above (weapon deals can always be restricted to national companies).

But essentially yes, the Swiss Army has the right to purchase knifes from any company in the world.

Well, in that case what about the argument " the title of SAK is reserved for the manufacturer who makes knives for the army " ? Wrong or true ?

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #75 on: December 04, 2015, 11:22:15 PM
When making a translation, translators can be faced with the dilemma of having to choose between using the correct term/syntaxis instead of what is being (wrongly) used by the native speakers of the language in which they are translating. Writting down what is lexically, grammatically or syntactically correct could be seen as wrong!

I gather that in the USA the name Leatherman has come to mean a pliers-based multitool in general. Does this mean every pliers-based multitool is a Leatherman? No. So why should Swiza knives be considered SAKs?

In any case, on their website http://www.swiza.com/en/Brand/News/Press-Center/A-legend-reborn-SWIZA-reinvents-the-Swiss-Knife.html they speak of "Swiss knife" not Swiss army knife

Switzerland has a new knife! The legendary Swiss Knife has been given a redesign for the first time in decades.

I guess people at Swiza don't see their product as a SAK after all. Maybe they forgot to put the word "army" in their bulletin? :shrug:

Edit: Corrected some errors.

You are true about translators !

Swiza in in a french speaking canton and in french no body say "Couteau de l'armée Suisse" but only "Couteau Suisse", for all knives made in Switzerland.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #76 on: December 04, 2015, 11:41:43 PM
Jean Claude, please receive these comments with the respect I send them with  :salute:

1) you say we are closed minded, but you seem to struggle that people think differently, and cannot accept their views as their (harmless) opinions.

2) I think the big issue here with people, is not the fact that you classify SAKs differently to most of us, but that you wish to "correct" us. There is no official classification, just popular belief and hearsay. If you had just said "I consider the Swiza knives as SAKs, but I understand if others don't", none of this upset would have happened.

3) The thread got locked, and this thread deteriorated, when you started accusing people of being like historical figures you consider to be atrocious monsters, because of their views on A POCKET KNIFE!!!

It is important that you realise that others have had opinions and have been prepared to accept yours UNTIL you got offensive with them (or at least appeared to). Can we accept that we have different opinions and move on? If not, then it is not "us" that are being closed minded.  :pok:

Again, very importantly, I mean no offense by these comments, I just wish for us to stop looking at our differences and instead to focus on what matters.....

.... embracing the diversity of our needs and carries, blaming Kirky, and establishing that the LM Signal is poo! We are still awaiting third-party verification on the last item, but a Kiwi will hopefully be verifying that for us very soon. OK, he's not technically third party, but he is foreign and very strange, which is the best we could manage under the circumstances

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #77 on: December 05, 2015, 12:11:30 AM
Victorinox owns the license on "Swiss Army" branded goods in general, not just "Swiss Army Knife".  (In fact, if I remember correctly, this is quite controversial.  Basically a transfer of public brand name to a private company.)  Anyways, I think if Swiza said "Swiss Army", they'd be in legal trouble in the USA and EU.

Edit: From Wikipedia

In August 2002, Victorinox acquired the American company Swiss Army Brands, Inc (SABI), to unify and gain control of the Victorinox and Swiss Army watch brands. Previously Swiss Army Brands, Inc (SABI) had sold the Swiss Army branded watch in North America and under license had sold the Victorinox branded watch outside North America. But after Victorinox AG acquired Swiss Army Brands, Inc (SABI), a combined Victorinox Swiss Army brand was created and has been marketed worldwide.
Victorinox has licensed the Swiss Army brand and shield logo to companies producing watches, writing tools, luggage and clothing.

The Swiss Defense Ministry has given Victorinox permission to brand products as "Swiss Army".  Swiza has no such concession.

You're right, "Swiss Army" was quite controversial for Victorinox, but now I think disputes are gone. "Swiss Army" was never used by Wenger, I think because it's a commercial brand with something like a patent but without real link with the army of Switzerland...
If I remember it was the subject of a dispute with other cutlers and supplier of the Swiss Army. It's an old and vague story...

I'm not sure that now the Swiss Defense Ministry has given Victorinox permission to brand products as "Swiss Army". I would like to see the official documents ! But I'm sure Swiza has no concession for "Swiss Army" !

The same confusion exists with "Officier Suisse" stamped on civilian knives of Victorinox. Everybody knows this knives were never made for Swiss officiers in the Swiss Army !

Do not forget that, for a long time, Victorinox profited from the benevolence of the army and the government which probably wanted to protect a famous Swiss brand. It explains probably the use of terms as "Swiss Army" or "Officier Suisse" without real rights...

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: December 05, 2015, 01:09:04 AM
Who cares...??  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #79 on: December 05, 2015, 01:11:53 AM
Jean Claude, please receive these comments with the respect I send them with  :salute:

1) you say we are closed minded, but you seem to struggle that people think differently, and cannot accept their views as their (harmless) opinions.

2) I think the big issue here with people, is not the fact that you classify SAKs differently to most of us, but that you wish to "correct" us. There is no official classification, just popular belief and hearsay. If you had just said "I consider the Swiza knives as SAKs, but I understand if others don't", none of this upset would have happened.

3) The thread got locked, and this thread deteriorated, when you started accusing people of being like historical figures you consider to be atrocious monsters, because of their views on A POCKET KNIFE!!!

It is important that you realise that others have had opinions and have been prepared to accept yours UNTIL you got offensive with them (or at least appeared to). Can we accept that we have different opinions and move on? If not, then it is not "us" that are being closed minded.  :pok:

Again, very importantly, I mean no offense by these comments, I just wish for us to stop looking at our differences and instead to focus on what matters.....

.... embracing the diversity of our needs and carries, blaming Kirky, and establishing that the LM Signal is poo! We are still awaiting third-party verification on the last item, but a Kiwi will hopefully be verifying that for us very soon. OK, he's not technically third party, but he is foreign and very strange, which is the best we could manage under the circumstances

No problem, 50ft-trad !

"harmless opinions", since about 1 hour, I agree but it was not always the case LOL !
There is no official classification I also agree and I don't want to correct people, I only can't understand that, from a no official classification, somebody can say this brand is SAK and not the other. As you say it's just popular belief and hearsay, but it's dangerous !

I'm sorry and I apologize to the people whom I was able to hurt. In front of that I call "thought unique", I chose historic examples to try to make me understand. It's not always easy for me, because my English is poor.

I accept without problem other opinions but I can't accept some insidious meaning or non-logical assertions or lies.

Some threads are "hot to drive" for example "Victorinox VS Wenger" or "Who benefits of the end of Wenger", but it's also the live of a forum and also the interest of a forum. English speaking cultures are generally more consensual than Latin cultures and this forum is international...

Since 2 or 3 days I read lot of things but without logical arguments that could explain without possible contesting why SAK or SK or something else... As I hate the injustice and the segregation, I do not understand why 2 brands would not be handled in a fair and honest way. It begins with the category, the title or the naming "SAK" or "SK" or something else...

« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 01:14:48 AM by jcfiguet »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #80 on: December 05, 2015, 01:35:21 AM
Your English is much better than my French, although I think you may still be misunderstanding some of the context, even though you understand all the words. Saying that a knife is not SAK does not belittle of mean anything bad to the brand. Swiza have yet to establish themselves and win the hearts of many, but that does not mean they are being prejudiced. Give them time to develop, and give the people time to accept them.  :cheers:

In other parts of the forum, I think I upset people with my opinions on a new Leatherman tool. They thought I was being unfair. Maybe I was :shrug: We are passionate about these tools, but we must remember that other people see tools with different eyes, and that is good! It took me a long time on this forum to understand how differently people see tools. For a long time, I couldn't understand why somebody liked "X" and hated "Y" when I thought the opposite. I thought they were not thinking about it properly, and only speaking on hype until I truly started to listen. It took a while to understand WHY people thought differently to me, and even now I am still learning how differently we all look at the same tools.

Do not be upset that we all think differently. That is why this forum is so good, not why it is bad. To be heard, first you must listen. The fact that we think differently, makes us all wiser. Embrace the differences, do not fight them.

Yes, some threads will get very emotive. That is only because people care, not because people hate. Even when people do hate (or seem to hate) it is because they care about something else. The truth is not always on the surface.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #81 on: December 05, 2015, 01:41:41 AM
You're right, "Swiss Army" was quite controversial for Victorinox, but now I think disputes are gone. "Swiss Army" was never used by Wenger, I think because it's a commercial brand with something like a patent but without real link with the army of Switzerland...
If I remember it was the subject of a dispute with other cutlers and supplier of the Swiss Army. It's an old and vague story...

I'm not sure that now the Swiss Defense Ministry has given Victorinox permission to brand products as "Swiss Army". I would like to see the official documents ! But I'm sure Swiza has no concession for "Swiss Army" !

The same confusion exists with "Officier Suisse" stamped on civilian knives of Victorinox. Everybody knows this knives were never made for Swiss officiers in the Swiss Army !

Do not forget that, for a long time, Victorinox profited from the benevolence of the army and the government which probably wanted to protect a famous Swiss brand. It explains probably the use of terms as "Swiss Army" or "Officier Suisse" without real rights...

Wenger absolutely used the Swiss Army brand.  Remember, Wenger was the "Genuine Swiss Army Knife", and Victorinox was the "Original Swiss Army Knife".  This was the agreement the firms came to.  No other knife could be marketed as a Swiss Army Knife.  Also, of course Wenger has a link to the Swiss Army.  They and Victorinox both supplied the Swiss Army with regulation Swiss Army knives.

As for Victorinox owning Swiss Army,

Quote from: Le News
Technically, the Swiza knife is not a Swiss Army knife. The term “Swiss Army” is a registered trademark owned by Victorinox AG and its subsidiary, Wenger SA.

Swiss Army is a registered trademark of Victorinox:

Quote from: Victorinox
Victorinox Intellectual Property

Victorinox or its licensors are the exclusive owners of all designs, products, information and all copyrights, trademarks and other intellectual property or proprietary rights contained on or used in connection with the Website. Except as set forth herein or authorized by Victorinox, you agree not to copy, distribute, modify or make derivative works of any materials without the prior written consent of the owner of such materials or a legal right to do so. The Victorinox Cross & Shield, Victorinox® and Swiss Army® are separate trademarks owned and registered by Victorinox AG, Ibach, Switzerland and its related companies. All rights not granted under these Terms of Use are reserved by Victorinox.

Quote from: Encyclopedia.com
A broader diversification began in earnest after Forschner registered the Swiss Army name as a trademark in the 1980s....The granting of the trademark provoked some public questioning since the Swiss Military Department did not require royalty payments in return. It did stipulate, however, that such products be made in Switzerland and be of "exceptional quality." In 1996, Forschner, then known as Swiss Army Brands, did agree to pay royalties, however.

So in a precise sense, Swiza knives just aren't Swiss Army knives.  Now you can disagree that the legal/trademark definition of Swiss Army Knife (according to European and US Law) is  bad one, but it is still a reasonable definition.

--

I think the Swiza's look nice, though some early reviews looked troubling.  I want to get one when the prices drop in the second hand market.  But I think some of the opposition comes from a degree of chutzpah in their advertising. 

Switzerland has a new knife! The legendary Swiss Knife has been given a redesign for the first time in decades. The result is a unique creation manufactured and assembled in the Jura, restoring the status of the local cutlery industry. It is unveiled today as a world exclusive in Lausanne and Zurich by SWIZA, a brand with a history spanning over 110 years and an established reputation in watchmaking circles.

Restoring the status of the local cutlery industry?  I thought the Victorinox Delemont collection is still made in Jura?  What, are those knives chopped liver?  "Reinventing" the legendary Swiss Knife?  That is a tall claim.   

I wish Swiza the best of luck and look forward to their future offerings.  But I just think the digs at Victorinox are kind of classless. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 01:58:19 AM by NetsNJ »

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #82 on: December 05, 2015, 03:40:27 AM

Wenger absolutely used the Swiss Army brand.  Remember, Wenger was the "Genuine Swiss Army Knife", and Victorinox was the "Original Swiss Army Knife".  This was the agreement the firms came to.  No other knife could be marketed as a Swiss Army Knife.  Also, of course Wenger has a link to the Swiss Army.  They and Victorinox both supplied the Swiss Army with regulation Swiss Army knives.

As for Victorinox owning Swiss Army,

No, not exactly, Wenger was the "Genuine Swiss Army Knife", that's OK but I never see a Wenger knife stamped "Armée Suisse" nor "Officier Suisse" on the blade like Victorinox stamped his knives.

Quote from: Le News
Technically, the Swiza knife is not a Swiss Army knife. The term “Swiss Army” is a registered trademark owned by Victorinox AG and its subsidiary, Wenger SA.

Swiss Army is a registered trademark of Victorinox:

Quote from: Victorinox
Victorinox Intellectual Property

Victorinox or its licensors are the exclusive owners of all designs, products, information and all copyrights, trademarks and other intellectual property or proprietary rights contained on or used in connection with the Website. Except as set forth herein or authorized by Victorinox, you agree not to copy, distribute, modify or make derivative works of any materials without the prior written consent of the owner of such materials or a legal right to do so. The Victorinox Cross & Shield, Victorinox® and Swiss Army® are separate trademarks owned and registered by Victorinox AG, Ibach, Switzerland and its related companies. All rights not granted under these Terms of Use are reserved by Victorinox.

Quote from: Encyclopedia.com
A broader diversification began in earnest after Forschner registered the Swiss Army name as a trademark in the 1980s....The granting of the trademark provoked some public questioning since the Swiss Military Department did not require royalty payments in return. It did stipulate, however, that such products be made in Switzerland and be of "exceptional quality." In 1996, Forschner, then known as Swiss Army Brands, did agree to pay royalties, however.

So in a precise sense, Swiza knives just aren't Swiss Army knives.  Now you can disagree that the legal/trademark definition of Swiss Army Knife (according to European and US Law) is  bad one, but it is still a reasonable definition.

--

I can't agree or disagree US and European law, a trademark is a trademark, and this is not the problem : "Swiss Army knives" is the generic term since 1944 given by American GIs to all folding knives made in Switzerland. This name of "Swiss Army knives" is not an exact definition but it's the name used, as generic term, by all english speaking people in the world, without references to trademarks or law.
So :
- Based on the law and trademark rules, "Swiss Army" is reserved to Victorinox, even if a trademark does not indicate if Victorinox is a supplier or not of the Swiss Army. I have no problem with that.
- Based on the generic term "Swiss Army Knives" (not only "Swiss Army"), used by all english speaking people in the world since 1944, all folding knives made in Switzerland, even Swiza, are supposed to be "Swiss Army Knives"

On this forum generally, when you say "Swiss Army Knives" you speak about brands like Victorinox, Wenger or one of the 30 former brands which made folding knives in Switzerland. I never understood it in an other way and I'm sure lot of members understood the same thing.
But since a few days, some members want change this definition. Why not ! I always have no problem with that.
OMI, the problems are on 2 points :
1°) The new definition is proposed at the birth of Swiza (The law of fate? Not sure !)
2°) Victorinox will stay a SAK and Swiza will become a SK
At this step, this way is not mine, I think that these difference are not fair and this is not very honest (intellectually). 

I think the Swiza's look nice, though some early reviews looked troubling.  I want to get one when the prices drop in the second hand market.  But I think some of the opposition comes from a degree of chutzpah in their advertising. 

Switzerland has a new knife! The legendary Swiss Knife has been given a redesign for the first time in decades. The result is a unique creation manufactured and assembled in the Jura, restoring the status of the local cutlery industry. It is unveiled today as a world exclusive in Lausanne and Zurich by SWIZA, a brand with a history spanning over 110 years and an established reputation in watchmaking circles.

Restoring the status of the local cutlery industry?  I thought the Victorinox Delemont collection is still made in Jura?  What, are those knives chopped liver?  "Reinventing" the legendary Swiss Knife?  That is a tall claim.   

I wish Swiza the best of luck and look forward to their future offerings.  But I just think the digs at Victorinox are kind of classless.

"Victorinox Delemont collection is still made in Jura ?" No, not all knives! When I visit Victorinox Factory in 2014, I saw some Victorinox Delemont made in the factory of Ibach.

"I think the Swiza's look nice, though some early reviews looked troubling." The best way : buy a Swiza and try it yourself ! LOL

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #83 on: December 05, 2015, 03:46:17 AM
Quote from: jcfiguet
"Swiss Army knives" is the generic term since 1944 given by American GIs to all folding knives made in Switzerland. This name of "Swiss Army knives" is not an exact definition but it's the name used, as generic term, by all english speaking people in the world, without references to trademarks or law.

If you ask 99% of Americans if this is a Swiss Army Knife, they will say yes.  No one here would consider it a Swiss Army Knife.  If we are using the commonly held definition of Swiss Army Knife used by most people, there is no requirement that it be made in Switzerland.  To the vast majority of people, any folding knife in the Victorinox "style" is a Swiss Army Knife.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 03:51:33 AM by NetsNJ »

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #84 on: December 05, 2015, 03:52:28 AM
"Swiss Army knives" is the generic term since 1944 given by American GIs to all folding knives made in Switzerland. This name of "Swiss Army knives" is not an exact definition but it's the name used, as generic term, by all english speaking people in the world, without references to trademarks or law.

If you ask 99% of Americans if this is a Swiss Army Knife, they will say yes.  No one here would consider it a Swiss Army Knife.  If we are using the commonly held definition of Swiss Army Knife used by most people, there is no requirement that it be made in Switzerland.  To the vast majority of people, any folding knife in the Victorinox "style" is a Swiss Army Knife.

(Image removed from quote.)

Is it a SAK or a SK ? LOL !!!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #85 on: December 05, 2015, 04:12:22 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

Is it a SAK or a SK ? LOL !!!

That particular one is a SUK.   :facepalm:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #86 on: December 05, 2015, 04:13:17 AM
:D
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #87 on: December 05, 2015, 08:21:38 AM
The "title" of SAK is not a like the title of "Champion of the World", with only 1 champion for 1 year, with new competition and generally a new champion every years... So SAK is not a title.

If the word SAK is reserved only for Victorinox, so we don't need to keek this word, all knives made in Switzerland could to become simply Swiss Knives.

And Victorinox ? Victorinox stay the bigest and historical manufacturer of Swiss knives.

Why a special name like SAK or like a title only for 1 manufacturer of knives ? In that case, the value of a special name like SAK is no longer justified.
Call it reputation / image / brand slogan or whatever

Audi Vorsprung durch Technik
Victorinox maker of the original Swiss Army Knife
Wenger maker of the genuine Swiss Army Knife

Also sometimes we use a brand name to describe a product. For example Band-Aid is a brand name, we still use it for all adhesive bandages. There is no need to justify that, its just how language / labels evolve.

In case of SAK, for a long time this meant both Wenger and Victorinox.
I think Victorinox worked more on that label, used it for their marketing. Wenger also used it, but the more they used it, the more they got overshadowed by Victorinox. I think they realized that and started to change their marketing (teaming up with Porsche / Mike Horn / Ueli Steck / Alinghi etc.). Going away from red with colorful scales...

All in all I think we would not do Swiza a favor by putting them in the same pot as Victorinox. Because SAK is associated with Victorinox, people might miss that Swiza is a brand on their own.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 08:29:47 AM by Etherealicer »

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #88 on: December 05, 2015, 09:09:19 AM
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

fr Offline jcfiguet

Reply #89 on: December 05, 2015, 11:56:30 AM
Your English is much better than my French, although I think you may still be misunderstanding some of the context, even though you understand all the words. Saying that a knife is not SAK does not belittle of mean anything bad to the brand. Swiza have yet to establish themselves and win the hearts of many, but that does not mean they are being prejudiced. Give them time to develop, and give the people time to accept them.  :cheers:

[...]

Do not be upset that we all think differently. That is why this forum is so good, not why it is bad. To be heard, first you must listen. The fact that we think differently, makes us all wiser. Embrace the differences, do not fight them.

Yes, some threads will get very emotive. That is only because people care, not because people hate. Even when people do hate (or seem to hate) it is because they care about something else. The truth is not always on the surface.

After sleeping some hours I like to read again topics / threads to be sure I didn' miss something important.

You said "I may still be misunderstanding some of the context", it's possible but I don't think so : On this thread (and others) when you see the number of posts from all over the world, just from an error of definition made by GIs in 1944.... I think something is important because some persons feels hurted (not only me).

We can nothing do against an error of the past, it is necessary to assume it and to do everything so that the consequences are tiny for all. It was the case for "SAK" : it was allowed that all brands of knives in Switzerland manufactured "SAKs" without distinction.

Today a new brand of knives : Swiza...
Why change the rules of a common naming and thus introduce an injustice and a distinction ? Everybody knows that the injustice was always the starting point of brawls and even of wars.
During 125 years, there be the “cold war” between Wenger and Victorinox. At the end there were a winner and a defeated, while some shouted “victory!”, others cried...
To be objective and neutral, I do not think that it was a good thing. Especially for collectors of the 2 brands like me.
When somebody does not feel well somewhere, he goes away and it is the beginning of a new fight for revenge... It was the case for some people of the Wenger factory.

In this world there is place for everyone and for all the talents.
Today, everybody knows that there's no difference in intelligence, or else, between an African, an European or an Asian.
Is our role, in a forum, it to create this kind of distinction, SAK and SK ? Especially when it is known that “SAK” was at the beginning an error of language!

No matter what some think of it, I note the every day that the destruction of Wenger (I speak about the brand of knives) was not appreciated by everyone. The father of Mr. Elsener did not want it, I think that he knew that it would be badly perceived and that the risk was important. After all, it had the control of the company and it was sufficient.
But after his death, his son wanted to make this fusion with the single brand Victorinox… And thus he created himself his competitor...
Swiza is not a dangerous competitor for Victorinox, but it exists and manufactures knives, at the end not so bad.
They are the facts and the history of Swiss Army Knives (or Swiss Knives if you prefere this name) of these 2 last years...
And now, what else ? Some members of a forum, even if it's an international forum, want to change a used term all over the world, want to introduce a distinction, It will never change the story, it will never change the facts, and at the end it will never change anything. In the worst case, it will be like “putting oil on the fire”. IMO it's not our role and I will never in collusion with this way of thinking.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%