Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My Knipex tools.

Offline TiCombat

Re: My Knipex tools.
Reply #30 on: November 24, 2015, 03:24:03 AM

Sorry for not making it too clear, but maybe the following pictures will do a better job describing what I look for:

(Image removed from quote.)

Could any owners of Knipex please kindly confirm which wrench/pliers wrench could nest which size of SAK?(just as the pix shown above?)

ah! Now that I see what you mean by nest, I would have agree the 7 1/4 Alligator or Cobra pliers.

In my opinion the Alligator (I prefer them over the cobra to get into the tightest of places) is a tool everyone (who has ever needed to use a pair of pliers) needs to have! Once you get it and use it for a while the next logical progression is the pliers wrench.

Basically if you use a crescent wrench a lot, get the pliers wrench. If you often use a pair of pliers, channel locks more get the Cobra or Alligator. Far superior to Channel Lock type. Do NOT fall for the Irwin clone though, they are complete rubbish compared to Knipex.

I firmly believe you could dismantle a small brick building using nothing but a pair of their 12" pair of Alligator pliers & linesman pliers

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: November 24, 2015, 03:32:49 AM
I'm a big fan . I have a reasonable variety of Cobras , Alligators , and Plier Wrenches . I always EDC a 5" PlierWrench in my front pocket .

All very nice tools!

Chris

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #32 on: November 24, 2015, 03:35:29 AM
I have a cheap Stanley set of pliers/wrenches that I'm just not happy with. When possible I plan to upgrade if not to Knipex to something decent quality. I do have a nice set of Channellocks I'm pretty keen on however.
SAW

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #33 on: November 24, 2015, 04:09:13 AM
I wish you guys would be more clear, the Knipex plier wrench is good?

Thinking of adding a small one to my EDC backpack.

Yes, very good if you want a smooth gripping area. Its sort of like a crescent wrench, but easily adjustable and has two handles which can be used like pliers.

If you want something to grip anything get the Cobra Plier.

Looks like the only real solution is to buy both.

Sounds like the best option.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #34 on: November 24, 2015, 05:11:24 AM

Good?  Great!
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: November 24, 2015, 06:33:53 AM
What brand are those black pliers? Those look slick..

Errr...it's just a black pliers that I've picked up from local hardware shop.  I no longer have the packaging, but I presume it's IPS?

I just tried on my Knipex Alligator 7-1/4-inch (the smallest Alligator pliers in the set) and they fit a 91mm SAK in between the handles. You have to just slightly open them to get it to fit in. Pics later.

Sorry for not making it too clear, but maybe the following pictures will do a better job describing what I look for:

Could any owners of Knipex please kindly confirm which wrench/pliers wrench could nest which size of SAK?(just as the pix shown above?)

ah! Now that I see what you mean by nest, I would have agree the 7 1/4 Alligator or Cobra pliers.

In my opinion the Alligator (I prefer them over the cobra to get into the tightest of places) is a tool everyone (who has ever needed to use a pair of pliers) needs to have! Once you get it and use it for a while the next logical progression is the pliers wrench.

Basically if you use a crescent wrench a lot, get the pliers wrench. If you often use a pair of pliers, channel locks more get the Cobra or Alligator. Far superior to Channel Lock type. Do NOT fall for the Irwin clone though, they are complete rubbish compared to Knipex.

I firmly believe you could dismantle a small brick building using nothing but a pair of their 12" pair of Alligator pliers & linesman pliers

Thanks for the input, I will for sure look them up, good to know!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 07:23:57 PM
Ok here is my 2.  Both used daily and barely any sign of wear.

IMG_1306.JPG
* IMG_1306.JPG (Filesize: 109.87 KB)
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #37 on: November 24, 2015, 07:28:49 PM

Yes, very good if you want a smooth gripping area. Its sort of like a crescent wrench, but easily adjustable and has two handles which can be used like pliers.

That's not even close to a solution  :pok: Next you have to decide which size of each tool, and there doesn't appear to be a wire cutting notch on either, so that means you'll need something else too....

;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: November 24, 2015, 09:00:12 PM

That's not even close to a solution  :pok: Next you have to decide which size of each tool, and there doesn't appear to be a wire cutting notch on either, so that means you'll need something else too....

;)

I would say the Knipex cutters like in my first pic would be great.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #39 on: November 25, 2015, 05:33:39 AM
Ok here is my 2.  Both used daily and barely any sign of wear.

Plierwrench and cobra?

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: November 25, 2015, 06:19:42 PM
Cap----> How do you like the sub 8' combo pliers in your first post with all the pictures?
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: November 26, 2015, 12:08:51 AM
Cap----> How do you like the sub 8' combo pliers in your first post with all the pictures?

Do you mean the first picture all the way to the top right.

These?

If so I have not even used them once yet. I just recieved them. There was a discussion about something you may want to read if you are looking into a pair.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,62998.msg1178972.html#msg1178972
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: November 26, 2015, 12:10:10 AM
I forgot to add this video to the thread. If you do not know the Alligator and Cobra pliers are "self locking", but have no locking mechanism. Watch the video if you want a explanation.

I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: November 26, 2015, 12:41:26 AM
I always like to get one but never get around to...my question to our Knipex owners--which one of them could nest well with a standard 91/93mm SAK?  Also will any of the Pliers wrench nest well with a SAK?  They look super nice!

Comis, depending on your needs it sounds like you are in the market for either the 5" Pliers Wrench or 5" Cobra pliers both considered their "mini tools", however if you don't mind the size increase the 7 1/4 alligator pliers is a most versatile tool as well or the 6" pliers wrench. The larger sizes are a bit cheaper, you can pick up the 7 1/4 alligator pliers for about $22 often whereas the minis approach $50.

Welcome to the MT.O, and please do enjoy your stay!

Thanks for the reply, I just wonder what you have mentioned could 'nest' well with 91mm SAK?

As far as pairing it with a SAK I am not sure what you are asking.  :think: I mean it is definitely a great tool to have paired with a SAK if you need such a tool.

Not sure if this will help you get a answer, but I was thinking of getting the smallest version and keeping it in my backpack with a SAK and folder.

Pics you requested. The SAK is a 91mm Camper.

With the combination pliers it fits decently. The handles must be opened a bit.

With the 7'' Alligator pliers it fit well and the handles only had to be very slightly opened.

With the 10" it fit with no handle opening needed.

I'm the milk man!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: November 26, 2015, 05:34:06 AM
Thanks Capt'n!  That's really helpful.  :cheers:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: November 26, 2015, 07:47:34 AM
Glad to help!
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74