Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Yalumi Spark Dual ( headlamp ) initial impressions.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Yalumi Spark Dual ( headlamp ) initial impressions.
on: November 22, 2015, 12:24:43 AM
If you read my initial impression of the Yalumi Spark Pro then you know my reasons for trying this particular brand.  You also know that while the Pro had some nice features I was let down with the claimed 120lm high mode.  Maybe I got a bum led  :think:.

I ordered the Spark Dual for different reasons yet similar duties as the Pro, camping and home emergency usage  I wanted a headlamp that had good high (80lm or better) long burn time, and different colors and modes. 

I settled on the Yalumi Spark Dual as it seemed to hit all those notes.
http://www.yalumi.com/spark-dual.html

This light is not a proximity type light this light is more of a thrower with 2 levels of white light.  The high is claimed to be 105lm which I can totally believe.  This light blew the Spark Pro away in brightness.  The light gives off a hot spot with some decent spill.  The economic mode was a terrific brightens as well tho I don't know what lumen it is.  The claimed burn time is pretty outstanding however time will tell.   

I know "flashoholics" don't like so called disco modes but I love them.  This light comes on in low/economic mode then high then strobe then off.  To access the red light you have to hold the button for a second or so and it starts in constant red then strobe red.

The red is not bad at all for use in a tent ( I have not tested ) or with night adjusted eyes.  I tried the red mode in a dark room and was impressed.  I was able to read a page in a book and it lit up the room nicely yet not blindingly.   

I do have one concern with this light and thats the battery compartment latch.  I dont know if it will be an issue but it seems a little flimsy.  I won't judge it now but yet keep an eye on it and use a gentle touch. 

Yalumi provided 3 AAA batteries ( energizers ) so all I had to do was instal and good to go.  I love the green color and am excited to put this headlamp to the test. 

The pictures show the 2nd pic. Low/economic then 3rd pic. High mode.  I think you can see the difference.  I certainly could tell against my off white wall but more so in a dark house.       
IMG_9571.jpg
* IMG_9571.jpg (Filesize: 173.79 KB)
IMG_9576.jpg
* IMG_9576.jpg (Filesize: 66.51 KB)
IMG_9577.jpg
* IMG_9577.jpg (Filesize: 68.79 KB)
IMG_9578.jpg
* IMG_9578.jpg (Filesize: 123.78 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Yalumi Spark Dual ( headlamp ) initial impressions.
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 12:31:16 AM
I don't know if the battery compartment latch will be an issue but it does seem flimsy.  It shut with a decisive audible snap and was secure.  Some reviews on Amazn claimed the batteries fit was tight.  I didn't experience this particular issue at all. 

The range of tilt was good.  I was able to put this light over a hat and tilt it in such a way that I was able to see the ground easily.

I am very happy so far with this purchase.  The price was terrific, the modes were exactly what I wanted, the output it very nice, the over all look is nice.  If the burn time is anywhere near the claims made by Yalumi then I'd be super stoked.  I do hope the latch doesn't give me any issues. 

IMG_9579.jpg
* IMG_9579.jpg (Filesize: 164.03 KB)
IMG_9580.jpg
* IMG_9580.jpg (Filesize: 148.58 KB)
IMG_9582.jpg
* IMG_9582.jpg (Filesize: 163.3 KB)
IMG_9583.jpg
* IMG_9583.jpg (Filesize: 156.71 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!