Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LM Signal mod

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: LM Signal mod
Reply #30 on: January 29, 2016, 03:54:26 PM
Yeah I'm not sure :think:  It may be possible.  I'm no expert on the inner tools on MTs as I haven't dabbled in that yet.  Here's another picture with the tools out.

I think you are right, it MAY be possible. Judging from where the scissors are on the Charge, one will have to move the bit holder over. The scissors thumb tab is off to the right if looked at the same angle as you opened the Signal so it cannot go where the awl is.

Thank you again for the pictures. I am going to see if I can have a quick look at it when I take a Leatherman in for a warranty repair next week.

Cheers,

Pete
No problem man, glad to be of help
I look forward to your thoughts after getting to handle one.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: February 01, 2016, 07:55:31 AM

G'Day Monrogue,

I had a look at the Signal today. I do like it, I must admit. I think the size is perfect for my needs and carry weight. I also had a good look inside, but I think without taking the tool apart I can merely speculate whether a scissors will fit. I think it might, big might. All depends on the clearance with the scissors thumb tab and the pin inside the handle. I am going to get one at some stage and then will try the mod.

Cheers,

Pete

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: February 01, 2016, 08:11:19 AM
This dude stacked the blade and saw on top of each other. Not sure why they couldn't share the top pivot. What tool's spot is the saw taking on that bottom pivot...the awl? Any of you Signal modders have thoughts on this one?

Looks like he replaced the washer and keep the awl. I wonder how effective the lockup is? Adding scissors is good IMO.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: February 01, 2016, 08:27:20 AM

G'Day Monrogue,

I had a look at the Signal today. I do like it, I must admit. I think the size is perfect for my needs and carry weight. I also had a good look inside, but I think without taking the tool apart I can merely speculate whether a scissors will fit. I think it might, big might. All depends on the clearance with the scissors thumb tab and the pin inside the handle. I am going to get one at some stage and then will try the mod.

Cheers,

Pete

I'm not near my parts bin to double check but I'm thinking the scissors would fit.

However the large bit driver might need work if it is to slide over as it will probably not clear the locking tab's pivot.

You might also have to work on the opener to clear the stopping tab for the awl.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: February 01, 2016, 08:37:36 AM
Looks like he replaced the washer and keep the awl. I wonder how effective the lockup is? Adding scissors is good IMO.

I would be happy if an internal scissors can be fitted.

The scissors will not fit where the awl is, there is not enough room for the thumb stud on it. The awl has its own "compartment". If one has a look at the pic that was posted earlier, and from looking at the tool today, the scissors may only fit where the bit holder is. I don't know if there is a small scissors that has the thumb stud on the opposite side to the one in the Charge. If there is, then it can possibly go where the opener is. I also have not looked at thickness of tools either yet. Once I have the scissors (inbound) I'll compare it to some other internal tools. I "assume" at the moment that all bit holders are same width / thickness.

All this is speculation off course  ;)

Cheers

Pete

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: February 01, 2016, 08:38:35 AM
However the large bit driver might need work if it is to slide over as it will probably not clear the locking tab's pivot.
You might also have to work on the opener to clear the stopping tab for the awl.

I think you may be right.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #36 on: February 01, 2016, 08:05:32 PM

G'Day Monrogue,

Cheers,

Pete
Yeah it's a little tough to say for sure.  Glad you like it though.  I look forward to seeing what you do with one

K-Tibbs

us Offline Demon27

Reply #37 on: April 15, 2016, 03:47:38 PM
I will have to rob the scissors from my Wingman now. One thing I would love to have in the Signal is the package opener but I don't see a way to make that work yet.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #38 on: April 15, 2016, 04:32:51 PM
Yeah I'm not sure :think:  It may be possible.  I'm no expert on the inner tools on MTs as I haven't dabbled in that yet.  Here's another picture with the tools out.
(Image removed from quote.)

I'm no fan of LM's flat bit drivers, I've replaced a few on my Waves and Charge with the big, square-profile Phillips driver from the Kick/Fuse/Blast models. On the Signal, it space looks kind short, but I wonder if it might work if you removed that jaw stop? The end of the Phillips is about the same height. Then replace the can opener with a large flat driver, and with the scissor mod, you'd have a pretty darn good suburban EDC tool.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #39 on: April 15, 2016, 06:08:32 PM
Can someone take some pics of the empty spaces once the plastic bits are removed and maybe give some rough dimensions? Anyone figured out an alternative use for these?

Is it uncomfortable using the tool when the spaces are left empty?

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #40 on: April 15, 2016, 07:08:24 PM
Can someone take some pics of the empty spaces once the plastic bits are removed and maybe give some rough dimensions? Anyone figured out an alternative use for these?

Actually, just one is internal, the whistle / fire steel insert. The diamond sharpener thingie mounts on a keyhole stud on the outside:

The other insert does take up some room inside the handle, but it's an odd size:

Installed; note how the top protrudes above the handle, and the bottom follows the contour of the plier jaw

View from the inside; note the spring retainer clip on the left, that's what hold it in place

Outside, showing roughly how it's positioned when installed

Removing it doesn't really leave much empty space:

View of the handle with insert removed; not really much space at all!

The only thing I can think of to put there is perhaps another insert that could hold an extra flat driver bit, but even that would be snug.

Is it uncomfortable using the tool when the spaces are left empty?

Well, with the fire steel removed, the handles are smoother without it sticking out; but, the edges of the handle around the opening are kinda sharp.

The sharpener side feels less bulky, but the mounting stud is *not* comfortable at all.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #41 on: April 15, 2016, 08:47:57 PM
Thanks gryffin. Exactly what I wanted to know.   :cheers:

au Offline aussieman

Reply #42 on: May 10, 2016, 10:26:25 AM
Did we get an answer as to whether the Wingman scissors fit in without needing more than torx screwdrivers?

:pok:

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: May 14, 2016, 04:27:32 PM
Just ordered an extra Wingman to do the scissors mod.  Looks like it just needs a slightly larger hole like the video shows.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: May 31, 2016, 03:31:32 PM
Looks like I need a better drill press and bits to drill out the pivot to the right size.  All I did was heat up the scissors enough to discolor the steel and widen the hole a bit. 

00 Offline Warren Henke

• New User
Reply #45 on: March 24, 2017, 06:12:21 PM
Looks like I need a better drill press and bits to drill out the pivot to the right size.  All I did was heat up the scissors enough to discolor the steel and widen the hole a bit.

I found this forum looking for info on this mod. This looks like exactly what I needed... the lack of scissors were my big complaint. Did you move the saw like he did in the video? Was that a simple mod?

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: March 24, 2017, 06:18:02 PM
I never got a better bit and press, so I haven't finished the mod.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: March 25, 2017, 09:22:15 AM
Welcome to the forum Warren.   :cheers:   :cheers:

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #48 on: April 20, 2017, 04:12:19 AM
     Has anyone gotten wave scissors to fit in the signal?  Monrogue, did you remove the ferro rod and diamond sharpener before you dyed the yellow parts?  I saw the coyote tan signal and really like the blackened plastic parts on it.  Thanks for any info.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #49 on: April 24, 2017, 04:18:41 AM
     Has anyone gotten wave scissors to fit in the signal?  Monrogue, did you remove the ferro rod and diamond sharpener before you dyed the yellow parts?  I saw the coyote tan signal and really like the blackened plastic parts on it.  Thanks for any info.
Not sure about the Wave scissors.  I did remove the ferro rod, it just pops out.  The sharpener can't be removed from the plastic part as far as I can tell, but it was unaffected by the dye anyway.  The rod however will become pitted.

K-Tibbs

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: April 24, 2017, 02:16:25 PM

G'Day,

I have tried, but the scissors does not work properly. When I cut something the thumb side moves past the tension spring. It MAY be because I did not tighten it properly either. Have a look at the pics. You also need to move the inner tools around.

On dying: you MUST remove the ferro rod, it starts pitting with the dye. I had to order a new one. The file is no problem. The last pic shows the pitted ferro rod.

Pete
IMGP2932.JPG
* IMGP2932.JPG (Filesize: 134.57 KB)
IMGP2933.JPG
* IMGP2933.JPG (Filesize: 155.25 KB)
IMGP2934.JPG
* IMGP2934.JPG (Filesize: 150.83 KB)
IMGP2939.JPG
* IMGP2939.JPG (Filesize: 139.01 KB)

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #51 on: April 24, 2017, 06:43:44 PM
     Thanks to both of you.  I was wondering what damage the dye might cause to either yellow tool.  I like the looks of the regular signal with the matching colors.  Is that a file I see on modded signal?  Great job.  I just love seeing all the cool creations everyone comes up with here on the forums.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #52 on: April 24, 2017, 09:31:08 PM
     Thanks to both of you.  I was wondering what damage the dye might cause to either yellow tool.  I like the looks of the regular signal with the matching colors.  Is that a file I see on modded signal?  Great job.  I just love seeing all the cool creations everyone comes up with here on the forums.
No problem man :)  Yes, he and I both put the diamond file in place of the wood saw.

K-Tibbs

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: April 25, 2017, 06:33:59 AM
     Thanks to both of you. I was wondering what damage the dye might cause to either yellow tool.

You are welcome. The plastic will not be damaged by the dye. It does take a fairly strong dye mixture to get the yellow bits black, and a good bit of stirring time.

Well spotted on the file, kind of an urban version for me, the OEM file is just about good enough for nails.

Cheers,

Pete

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44