Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which size pen blade do you use the most?

Poll

On knives with two pen blades, e.g. standard 91 mm, which sees the most use?

The big one
14 (43.8%)
The small one
17 (53.1%)
N/A (explanation below)
1 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Which size pen blade do you use the most?
on: November 27, 2015, 12:02:25 PM
Multiple blades seems to be discussed on and off. Some people view it as tool duplication, some don't want the small blade at all, etc. Personally, the small blade is the single most used tool when I am carrying a knife that has it. I don't save the large blade, it's simply that most of my “blade tasks” are better handled with a short, thin, precise blade. So, it would be interesting if people could voice their opinions.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Which size pen blade do you use the most?
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 12:37:33 PM
I use the big one for most tasks, and I would love it if the small one could be replaced with an in-line awl on the 91mm range. I plan to do this on my Greenwood at some point.

I don't have anything against the small blade and can see it's usefulness but I have to admit to hardly ever using it.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 12:46:04 PM
The big one for me, but use the small one regularly as well, and I like to have both available.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 01:02:46 PM
I don't have use for the small pen blade, as I can do everything with the large blade. I would rather have something else it it's place that has a different function, or have the pruner blade which is better suited for opening blister packs and the like. I have no problem with having two blades if they offer different attributes, but see little point of having two plain edged spearpoint blades

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 01:12:41 PM
I don't have use for the small pen blade, as I can do everything with the large blade. I would rather have something else it it's place that has a different function, or have the pruner blade which is better suited for opening blister packs and the like. I have no problem with having two blades if they offer different attributes, but see little point of having two plain edged spearpoint blades

+1

Most of the use is in food prep. Other tasks can also be performed with the longer blade, cleaning it thoroughly afterwards. That's why I carry the Sportsman and not the Spartan, for instance. It gives me an extra tool (nail file).

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 02:13:20 PM
I use both blades, depending on the task. The small blade on 91mm SAKs is great for precise cuts. The fact that it is so small can also be an advantage when using it near other people.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 02:13:33 PM
Small one probably 80% of the time.  :salute:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 03:40:22 PM
I use both blades, depending on the task. The small blade on 91mm SAKs is great for precise cuts. The fact that it is so small can also be an advantage when using it near other people.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 06:27:46 PM
When I carry something like a Super Tinker, I use the small blade about half the time.  But I carry a Pioneer or a Compact more ofter, and I don't miss the lack of a small blade.  So I would rather have more functionality, like the Cadet or Highlanders with a nail file in place of the small blade.
- Steve

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 07:50:15 PM
It is more than obvious ;) large serrated preferably lockable blade >:D for heavy-duty tasks, small plain edge blade for precise cuts :D

:gimme:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 08:54:20 PM
It is more than obvious ;) large serrated preferably lockable blade >:D for heavy-duty tasks, small plain edge blade for precise cuts :D
(Image removed from quote.)
What is that?
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 09:20:10 PM
I've been realizing lately that this is a great idea.  I don't have anything like this yet, but it's on my radar.

Also, I feel like as you get to thicker SAKs, this affects the usability of the small blade more than the large.  For example, I really don't like using the small blade on a SwissChamp, but use it fairly often on a Tinker.  Anybody else?

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 09:21:49 PM
What is that?
It's "Journeydack"
Wenger Journeyman + (Wenger Adirondack 2/3 serrated blade + packlock) :D
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,5287.3870.html
;)

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 09:42:50 PM
I've been realizing lately that this is a great idea.  I don't have anything like this yet, but it's on my radar.

Also, I feel like as you get to thicker SAKs, this affects the usability of the small blade more than the large.  For example, I really don't like using the small blade on a SwissChamp, but use it fairly often on a Tinker.  Anybody else?
"Jorneydack"+"Yeoguide" or "Generalmajor"+Compact ... are almost/in fact kind of Victorinox-Wenger-combo-SwissChamps splits in two wit some Wenger's candy :D
As you pointed it out, it's much easier to use thinner tool especially on precise work, and 3-layer cellidor it's almost perfect for the purpose, and thin 4-layer it is quite near there. :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 10:05:31 PM
I don't tend to use either. I like a 3" plus blade. SAK blades I tend to use for battery terminal scrapers or removing gum off a floor or your boot. Sorry Vic, love the tools, not the blades. However, I tend the save the some blades for precise cuts. Which is rare. Very rare. I left the bigger blades. I follow the line of thinking that I can use a big blade smaller, not a small blade bigger.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 10:43:43 PM
I myself prefer the small blade. For what I use a lot of the time the small blade is sufficient but it is also more robust than the 58mm blade. I like having both but when I do the small blade gets the favor 
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 10:48:27 PM
On SAK's with both a large and small blade I will use the small blade for pretty much everything and leave the large blade much sharper.
I'm the milk man!

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 11:46:45 PM
The main blade on the Victorinox Explorer about 30 % and the secondary blade 70 % of the time.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #18 on: November 28, 2015, 11:23:19 PM
I only really use the large blade for food - the smaller pen blade for everything else and it gets used much more often.  I prefer the feel of a small thin blade in a larger handle; it's more precise, like using a scalpel.  I like the sheepsfoot blade on the Alox Electrician knives too.

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 02:04:13 AM
Initially I was confused buy the question. I thought you were comparing the pen blades in the 84 mm and 91 mm knives.  I do use the pen blade the most because a small blade is all I usually need.

One point though. the larger SAK blade is not considered a pen blade. Pen blades are small. The larger blade is a "Spear Point Blade".  All pen blades are small spear points but large spear points are not pen blades.
Perception is reality

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD