Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Time for a new laptop. Maybe...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Time for a new laptop. Maybe...
on: December 01, 2015, 12:58:48 AM
It looks like it is time for me to do something I hate doing- upgrade to new equipment.

Don't get me wrong, I love shiny new toys as much as the next guy, but I hate the process of going from one machine to another.  Something always gets lost, missed, forgotten etc. 

I also hate dropping that much money on something.

At any rate, I'll probably be keeping this new one as long as I've kept the old ones, which is at least 5 years.  My current machine is still good, but maxing out at 4gb of RAM is sadly very limiting.  So, I'd like to get a higher end machine and is like to keep it around $1000.

I'd also like an i7 processor and at least 12gb of RAM- upgradeable if not from the factory like that.

So far the closest I've found is the Asus ROG     GL771JW.  It's a bit overkill for me but I like overkill because it means the things I do won't tax it too heavily and very likely it will live a longer and more relevant life.

Any other suggestions?  If anyone suggests a Mac, please also be prepared to have your suggestions ignored....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Re: Time for a new laptop. Maybe...
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 01:00:54 AM
After my experience with this one, I'm pretty sold on Lenovos and can't say I'd be getting anything but from now on.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 01:12:40 AM

Any other suggestions?  If anyone suggests a Mac, please also be prepared to have your suggestions ignored....

Def

How about a ...

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 01:13:46 AM by enki_ck »

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 01:29:32 AM
I'd never suggest a Mac, but my Macbook Pro runs very well with only 4gb of RAM.  And if I did suggest one, would you ignore it like kirks ignore thread? :think:

>:D

I've always been a big fan of Asus gear myself, and never had any problems with any of their gear.  I don't know what they're like today though.

This one has 8gb of RAM, and I'm not sure what it can go up to, but it seems like a half decent machine.  http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-asus-15-6-laptop-black-intel-core-i7-5500u-1tb-hdd-8gb-ram-windows-10-x555la-bh71-cb/10394373.aspx?path=8806b6e578d2760230857104f7cbb2b1en02

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 01:53:57 AM
After my experience with this one, I'm pretty sold on Lenovos and can't say I'd be getting anything but from now on.
I am also very happy with my Lenovo.

As for transfering files, Windows built in file backup software is pretty good. As long as you have a hard drive big enough (you do back up your computer regularly, right? ) transferring your files should be a matter ofv drag and drop, and letting the computer work overnight.

If you really want speed improvements,  get an SSD (solid state drive). You can go from pressing the power button to browsing the web in 30 seconds (including password typing)
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 02:01:48 AM

As for transfering files, Windows built in file backup software is pretty good. As long as you have a hard drive big enough (you do back up your computer regularly, right? ) transferring your files should be a matter ofv drag and drop, and letting the computer work overnight.

If you really want speed improvements,  get an SSD (solid state drive). You can go from pressing the power button to browsing the web in 30 seconds (including password typing)

I bought This ASUS Transformer Laptop

and put a SanDisk Extreme Pro 480Gig SSD in in.

this laptop has a Core i5 (dual core with Hyper Threading, so 4 threads) and 8 Gig of RAM.
as a Linux user, I had to disable the Windows 8.1 fast boot (it would just hibernate and lock the Hard drive) so when I turn on Windows instead of Linux it is a full boot, not a resume.  from power button to Windows accepting my password is about 9 seconds.  everything is fast. 

the SSD I bought comes with a 10 year warranty, so that makes me feel better too.

EVERYTHING seems fast now, Linux screams, Windows screams , massive spreadsheets do not even hiccup.  400 MB PDF,  no problem!
If I can help, let me know 

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 03:20:29 AM
I can vouch for the change an SSD makes, it took my brother in law's old laptop from barely usable in winxp to very snappy win7.

The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 03:27:21 AM

I bought This ASUS Transformer Laptop

and put a SanDisk Extreme Pro 480Gig SSD in in.

this laptop has a Core i5 (dual core with Hyper Threading, so 4 threads) and 8 Gig of RAM.
as a Linux user, I had to disable the Windows 8.1 fast boot (it would just hibernate and lock the Hard drive) so when I turn on Windows instead of Linux it is a full boot, not a resume.  from power button to Windows accepting my password is about 9 seconds.  everything is fast. 

the SSD I bought comes with a 10 year warranty, so that makes me feel better too.

EVERYTHING seems fast now, Linux screams, Windows screams , massive spreadsheets do not even hiccup.  400 MB PDF,  no problem!
Def, you may want to just buy an SSD for your computer, and do a fresh install of windows. You would be amazed what a fresh install will do, and a SSD will make your old computer faster than anything on the market that dosent have one

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 04:04:34 AM
I cannot afford it, but I can dream right

Core i7 with 10 cores with Hyper-Threading, (20 threads)
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 04:55:33 AM
I have a HP laptop that has been great!  I don't know what model it is but it is a i7 with 8gigs and a 15.6 inch touch screen that is 1920x1080 that is pretty light. 

My son bought a new laptop and let me have this one so I don't have to sit at my desk all day and use my desktop which is also a i7 but with 32 gigs of ram and GTX750 video card.  Now my desktop just sits here unused!  I should get rid of it sometime.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 08:27:12 AM
you are already a "Jeep" guy

..you do not want to become an "apple/Mac" guy too, do you? .. Next thing you know you will be 100% hipster   >:D   :D

I am still using my netbook (remember those?). Had i followed fashion/logic i would have bought 3 new laptops until now.
I also have 2 proper PCs (old and new) for any serious work that requires a large screen, and phone/tablets for reading the forum.

As mentioned previously, deleting everything and doing a completely new installation with a SSD upgrade may save you some money.

With an old PC, anything new you buy will be a huge improvement. Just get the largest HD you can. I have 3TB HDs and they are getting full quickly.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 08:46:41 AM
Easy dks, you'll go blind...   :P

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 08:49:59 AM
-only if I see you naked....  :P

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 09:01:48 AM
Oh that would do it.   :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 09:06:53 AM

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 09:29:41 AM
Oh that would do it.   :D

:worthless:

This thread forum is doomed if I posted those pics.   :D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 09:30:49 AM by zoidberg »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 10:07:35 AM
you have been voted as the most attractive moderator...   :D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 10:49:05 AM
Yeah voted by blind people.   ::)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 11:00:45 AM
blinded with admiration, love.....

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 12:48:21 PM

Yeah voted by blind people.   ::)
:rofl:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 05:27:42 PM
I've had no issues with my Chromebook but it sounds like it might be a little light duty for you..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 06:38:36 PM
I cannot afford it, but I can dream right

Core i7 with 10 cores with Hyper-Threading, (20 threads)
I am still waiting for one that a 383 stroker with NOS powering it.
Nate

SEND IT!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 12:53:41 AM
I have thought about doing a clean install with an SSD upgrade but in the end I figure I'm still limited on RAM and it's still a lot of money in an old machine.  How long until the fans go or the MB develops issues and the money I've spent becomes worthless?

If I could upgrade the RAM to at least 8gb I'd run this one for a few more years.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline JP

Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 05:50:18 PM
At work we use Dell laptops. They are still on Cyber Sale at Dell.ca

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #24 on: December 03, 2015, 10:48:36 PM

Def

How about a ...
(Image removed from quote.)
ooh! Dual processors?!

Sent from my iPad using a box of monkeys on a treadmill and a quantum leap

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 05, 2015, 02:48:13 PM
I have thought about doing a clean install with an SSD upgrade but in the end I figure I'm still limited on RAM and it's still a lot of money in an old machine.  How long until the fans go or the MB develops issues and the money I've spent becomes worthless?

If I could upgrade the RAM to at least 8gb I'd run this one for a few more years.

Def
YOu do know that hard drives are removable,  right? if you go to SSD,  abd the motherboard dies, you can take the SSD and put it into a different computer. plus, SSDs run cooler,  so less stress on the fans.  I seriously doubt you need more than 4GB of RAM.

If you haven't yet,  open your computer up and clean out the dust with a can of compressed air. It will help your computer run cooler,  and faster (marginally,  but it's a start until you commit to buying something)

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #26 on: December 05, 2015, 09:34:06 PM
changing to an SSD made a system feel like I had doubled or quadrupled the ram... and as pointed out you can keep the drive, buy an external usb case for it (and maybe wack the old drive in that)
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: December 05, 2015, 10:40:48 PM
Don't need more than 4gb of RAM?  Apparently you have never tried to edit video coming from a Gopro. ...

Def

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #28 on: December 05, 2015, 11:17:53 PM
<----  Informatics village idiot here.

Would a SSD work on a Netbook with a Intel Atom processor?

Thanks in advance :)
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #29 on: December 06, 2015, 12:48:25 AM

Don't need more than 4gb of RAM?  Apparently you have never tried to edit video coming from a Gopro. ...

Def
A lot has to do with read and write speeds though. That's where an SSD can make major performance enhancements.

My 6 year old MacBook (4 gigs of RAM) gained a lot of speed when I put an SSD in it. I really noticed the increase when editing 1080p videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD