Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Time for a new laptop. Maybe...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Time for a new laptop. Maybe...
Reply #150 on: December 03, 2016, 12:40:31 AM
Mine wouldn't boot this morning and since it has a wonky charger and wifi... it was fixed permanently with a hammer.  I feel better but then had to order a new one.

I grabbed this dell latitude for 599 CAD

http://www.dell.com/ca/business/p/latitude-35x0-laptops/pd?oc=s005l356015usca&model_id=latitude-35x0-laptops

So we'll see how well it works.

I was looking at a slightly upgraded version of that- basically the same thing but with an i5 and 8gigs.  It looks like a good machine, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Def

It's more than enough for my needs!  Non 3d cad and email.  I only buy the Dell business machines as they come with anti glare screen.   In my day most were anti glare then apple convinced people glare was great.

I have mixed feelings- I had the anti glare on my old Dell Vostro 1000 and it was nice, but it also made the screen seem really dull.  My Toshiba had a standard (non-anti glare) screen and the colors were nicer, as long as you weren't in a bright setting or trying to use it during the day.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #151 on: December 03, 2016, 03:47:09 AM
My MBP has the antiglare screen.  I don't think I would want to get a new laptop that doesn't have one.

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #152 on: December 03, 2016, 12:34:26 PM
My Dell has the glass touch screen and I haven't had any problems with glare yet YMMV
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #153 on: December 03, 2016, 03:22:23 PM
i have both types.
when done properly they both work
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #154 on: December 03, 2016, 08:28:06 PM
When the weather is nice I work outside on the porch in summer.  Glossy sucks donkey nuts for outdoor day use.  If you are a basement dweller and rarely see sun, its probably a non issue.  :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #155 on: December 05, 2016, 02:44:03 AM
Even sunlight through window can make glossy screen unusable, I'm glad my current laptop has a matte screen. Color isn't as brilliant as glossy screen, but brilliant color isn't useful when you can't see it.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #156 on: December 05, 2016, 11:26:05 AM
glossy screens can be ok, but they are a very stupid idea for a touch screen imho. Constant cleaning required.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #157 on: December 05, 2016, 06:44:03 PM
glossy screens can be ok, but they are a very stupid idea for a touch screen imho. Constant cleaning required.

I'm noticing that with this little HP machine.  It's a touch screen and glossy and absolutely full of fingerprints!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #158 on: December 08, 2016, 10:29:35 PM
Got the laptop yesterday.  I was scared Id hate Win 10 but its just fine.  What everyone has said is true.. win 7 or win 10, 8 is garbage. 

The ram from my old vostro was the same as this new one so I pulled the 4gb from it and put in the new one for a total of 8gb.  Though when checking ram usage it hasnt gone past 3 so I dont know if that even has any value.

Im happy with the i3 vs i5.  Less power usage on a laptop is more important for me, battery life is always my first concern.  I didnt buy this to win a SETI number crunching award.  First use was 3.5 hours but that will always creep down over time but still acceptable. 

I love it has no optical drive, and it has all the ports I need ( dont think dirty! ).  My old one didnt even have hdmi, so that is one upgrade.

So.. so far so good.   :tu:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #159 on: December 08, 2016, 10:53:07 PM
Yep win 10 is pretty good, like traditional windows for the most part, and tablet mode works well on tablets.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #160 on: December 09, 2016, 01:58:12 AM
I like 10.  I think it is a great upgrade from 7, which was a good upgrade from XP.  Anything in between those was a pain in the arse.

That having been said, I did use Vista for a while with no real issues, and I am currently stuck on 8 and managing well enough.  But yes, I would much rather have 10.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #161 on: December 09, 2016, 02:27:26 AM
Isn't yours basically a tablet? 8 is actually decent for touch screen, liked it on my 8" tablet.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #162 on: December 09, 2016, 09:56:44 PM
Yes, it is both, but I really hate switching back and forth between the two different interfaces- when I try to play a video off the hard drive, open a photo etc it switches to the tile interface, while everything else is in the standard Windows Interface.  It's annoying having to switch back and forth.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #163 on: December 10, 2016, 07:32:52 AM
What if you use another program for those things, like VLC player for video (not sure about photos), that should keep it in standard windows mode.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #164 on: December 10, 2016, 11:11:45 AM
I admit I setup our laptop to log straight into the desktop instead of sitting at the tile screen in windows 8, also I tended to not use fullscreen apps as multitasking required back and forth.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #165 on: December 10, 2016, 02:49:44 PM
What if you use another program for those things, like VLC player for video (not sure about photos), that should keep it in standard windows mode.

I do use VLC media player but I'm also not a fan of having to get add on soft ware to do things the machine does natively either.

VLC isn't a problem as it plays things the machine doesn't play in Windows Media so not a big deal there.  I just don't want to have to have to work around stuff that shouldn't need to be worked around.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #166 on: December 10, 2016, 02:53:52 PM
I admit I setup our laptop to log straight into the desktop instead of sitting at the tile screen in windows 8, also I tended to not use fullscreen apps as multitasking required back and forth.

If the tile screen was just an expanded start menu that would be tolerable. I try to look at it that way, but when certain programs want to run on the tile gui and others want to run in desktop mode it gets a little annoying.

Win8 was just trying to do too much and only marginally succeeded.  It is still useful enough, and these are only minor annoyances but they also tend to be very visible in a machine as limited as the one I'm using.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #167 on: December 11, 2016, 08:19:08 PM
VLC is a much better player anyway, I install it first thing on new computers and completely disregard the built in windows video player.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #168 on: December 11, 2016, 08:34:27 PM
VLC is one the first apps I install on a fresh build.

Just a tip in case people have missed it, there's a website called ninite, select the apps you want and download the installer, it will install the apps you want without any crapware  :tu:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 08:39:52 PM by Smashie »
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #169 on: December 11, 2016, 08:37:40 PM
VLC is one the first apps I install on a fresh build.

Just a tip in case people have missed it, thee's a website called ninite, select the apps you want and download the installer, it will install the apps you want without any crapware  :tu:

Wow! Hadn't seen that before. Awesome. I usually like to do a reinstall of Windows on my main machine about every 1 to 1 1/2 years, so this will be really nice.  :tu:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #170 on: December 13, 2016, 08:57:31 PM
Ok it's just abut 2017 now... why is there still a num-lock button and why the smurf does it not default to ON.  Hands up who expects cursor key movements when you hit the number keys instead of, oh I dont know.. NUMBERS!  There used to be arrow and number keyrs on keyboards but now there are just numbers. 

Windows 10 does not solve this either and the regedit setting I tried failed as well as the bios setting to default to ON!

WHY!!!!!!!

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #171 on: December 13, 2016, 09:00:52 PM
Ok it's just abut 2017 now... why is there still a num-lock button and why the smurf does it not default to ON.  Hands up who expects cursor key movements when you hit the number keys instead of, oh I dont know.. NUMBERS!  There used to be arrow and number keyrs on keyboards but now there are just numbers. 

Windows 10 does not solve this either and the regedit setting I tried failed as well as the bios setting to default to ON!

WHY!!!!!!!

No idea, but my Corsair keybod defaults to num lock on but more importantly doesn't give me crap functions on the F keys like some still do

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #172 on: December 13, 2016, 09:20:16 PM
gotta be a setting...

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #173 on: December 13, 2016, 09:21:33 PM

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #174 on: December 13, 2016, 10:21:52 PM

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #175 on: December 13, 2016, 10:33:03 PM
gotta be a setting...

Was this the reg hack you tried?

http://www.howtogeek.com/...when-your-computer-boots/

Yep.  No luck with either 2 or the other number

BIOS setting perhaps? Clutching at straws here

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #176 on: December 13, 2016, 11:54:59 PM
I've never even had a laptop with a number pad on it....  :ahhh

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #177 on: December 14, 2016, 11:42:16 AM
Bios setting does sound like it might be a possibility.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #178 on: December 14, 2016, 04:16:33 PM

WHY!!!!!!!

Syph, I use an Acer desktop that originally came with Windows 8; in both 8 and 8.1, NumLock was defaulted to on, however, in the Windows 10 update, that is no longer the case, but I do not wish to mess with the BIOS settings to correct the annoyance.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #179 on: December 14, 2016, 04:45:14 PM

WHY!!!!!!!

Syph, I use an Acer desktop that originally came with Windows 8; in both 8 and 8.1, NumLock was defaulted to on, however, in the Windows 10 update, that is no longer the case, but I do not wish to mess with the BIOS settings to correct the annoyance.

Oh there is an option in the bios to default it to ON.  Ive toggled it both ways and windows 10 does not care. 

I know its not a major deal, but Im confused as to why the option even exists anymore.  Most keyboards that have a number pad have separate cursor keys anyway.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85