Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Time for a new laptop. Maybe...

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Re: Time for a new laptop. Maybe...
Reply #180 on: December 14, 2016, 05:31:56 PM
Ok it's just abut 2017 now... why is there still a num-lock button and why the smurf does it not default to ON.  Hands up who expects cursor key movements when you hit the number keys instead of, oh I dont know.. NUMBERS!  There used to be arrow and number keyrs on keyboards but now there are just numbers. 

My keyboard has arrows and other alternatives on the numbers keypad, and the keyboard is only two years old.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #181 on: December 14, 2016, 06:15:54 PM
Ok it's just abut 2017 now... why is there still a num-lock button and why the smurf does it not default to ON.  Hands up who expects cursor key movements when you hit the number keys instead of, oh I dont know.. NUMBERS!  There used to be arrow and number keyrs on keyboards but now there are just numbers. 

My keyboard has arrows and other alternatives on the numbers keypad, and the keyboard is only two years old.

My desktop kb Still has arrows but new laptop only numbers.

Do people really use the keypad for navigation?   That's gotta he a low amount of users compared to those who enter numbers with the number pad
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
Reply #182 on: December 14, 2016, 06:59:02 PM

Do people really use the keypad for navigation?   That's gotta he a low amount of users compared to those who enter numbers with the number pad

I don't use the arrow keys, but I do use the dedicated page up, page down, ins, etc.

I think why they still have is that not all keyboard layouts have dedicated keys for those.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #183 on: December 15, 2016, 11:39:14 AM

I don't use the arrow keys, but I do use the dedicated page up, page down, ins, etc.

I think why they still have is that not all keyboard layouts have dedicated keys for those.

This, home and end are really useful once you start using them. What's up with caps lock though? Isn't that an invention from the time when it was physically heavy to hold shift on old typewriters? The only thing I seem to use it for myself is to mess up passwords. :rant: I't doesn't help that the indicator light is on the front of the computer where it's not really visible without bending down to look.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #184 on: December 15, 2016, 11:52:24 AM
after setting up my new motherboard num lock is definitely in the bios. I thought it was, perhaps not always the case. Odd that win10 would ignore that.

This, home and end are really useful once you start using them. What's up with caps lock though? Isn't that an invention from the time when it was physically heavy to hold shift on old typewriters? The only thing I seem to use it for myself is to mess up passwords. :rant: I't doesn't help that the indicator light is on the front of the computer where it's not really visible without bending down to look.
I guess I'm too used to my fancy keyboard, but I don't recall caps lock light ever being on my tower, that makes no sense, I've pretty much only had two lights on my towers for a long long time now, power and harddrive activity.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
Reply #185 on: December 15, 2016, 04:57:15 PM
What's up with caps lock though? Isn't that an invention from the time when it was physically heavy to hold shift on old typewriters? The only thing I seem to use it for myself is to mess up passwords. :rant: I't doesn't help that the indicator light is on the front of the computer where it's not really visible without bending down to look.

THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO STILL LIKE TO USE CAP LOCKS TO SEND TEXT MESSAGES AND POST ON THE INTERNET. C'MON! DON'T YOU LIKE THE POSTS THAT ARE ALL CAPS?

(and yet another reason why we need to get rid of the cap locks key  :rofl:)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #186 on: December 16, 2016, 05:22:46 PM
This laptop has been very impressive for battery life compared to my old one.  I know a new battery helps but I wonder if win 10 is any help on that.

Im getting 4 hrs of general work use no problem.  email / cad work / youtube
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #187 on: December 16, 2016, 06:18:33 PM
This laptop has been very impressive for battery life compared to my old one.  I know a new battery helps but I wonder if win 10 is any help on that.

Im getting 4 hrs of general work use no problem.  email / cad work / youtube

4 hrs is pretty good, you'll get an improvement if you replace the HDD with an SSD  :salute:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #188 on: December 16, 2016, 10:42:19 PM
That's good to hear.

The neat thing about this little machine is that I charge it overnight and the battery will run all day long with no worry of killing the battery. 

My last laptop wold give a low battery warning when you unplugged it to move to the next room, and my Dell before that would actually die before making it that far!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #189 on: December 17, 2016, 05:32:09 PM
after setting up my new motherboard num lock is definitely in the bios. I thought it was, perhaps not always the case. Odd that win10 would ignore that.

I guess I'm too used to my fancy keyboard, but I don't recall caps lock light ever being on my tower, that makes no sense, I've pretty much only had two lights on my towers for a long long time now, power and harddrive activity.

Right, this is in regards to my laptop if that makes more sense?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #190 on: December 17, 2016, 05:54:28 PM
Anyone have a Acer R15 Model: R5-571T-57Z0?  My friend was looking at the newer one with Intel i5 7200U processor, 1TB hard drive, 8GB memory for $650.  This would serve as first laptop for a high school student who will not be gaming.  WEB surfing, papers, day to day computing.   
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #191 on: December 18, 2016, 02:15:25 AM
Those specs souks be more than adequate.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #192 on: December 18, 2016, 02:16:42 AM
Anyone have a Acer R15 Model: R5-571T-57Z0?  My friend was looking at the newer one with Intel i5 7200U processor, 1TB hard drive, 8GB memory for $650.  This would serve as first laptop for a high school student who will not be gaming.  WEB surfing, papers, day to day computing.   

I don't have the model in question but I am a student with a 15,5" laptop (that I use for gaming). 15+" is huge if (s)he plans on bringing it to lectures etcetera and while I wouldn't recommend doing that (it's much better for understanding and retention to write notes on paper) it seems to be the current trend. I would probably suggest something closer to 13" for portability.

My girlfriend got herself a new Lenovo IdeaPad 710 and I'm really impressed by its size, there is almost no bezel around the screen and in fact it fits in the bag she bought to fit her old 11" laptop.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #193 on: December 18, 2016, 05:24:07 AM
Thanks.  It spec'd out pretty decent.  He will be mostly using it for home usage and such.  Time to go take it for a test drive is what I passed along. 
Esse Quam Videri

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #194 on: December 18, 2016, 11:31:19 AM

I don't have the model in question but I am a student with a 15,5" laptop (that I use for gaming). 15+" is huge if (s)he plans on bringing it to lectures etcetera and while I wouldn't recommend doing that (it's much better for understanding and retention to write notes on paper) it seems to be the current trend. I would probably suggest something closer to 13" for portability.

My girlfriend got herself a new Lenovo IdeaPad 710 and I'm really impressed by its size, there is almost no bezel around the screen and in fact it fits in the bag she bought to fit her old 11" laptop.
I think the 710 is a more current version similar to our Yoga 2 Pro. For portability I think those 13/13.3/14 are perfect. Previously we had a 15.6 and being a normal laptop rather than ultrabook it was like lugging around a large concrete brick. The 11 inch models are nice, but I fear they might be too small to work on for longer periods other than minor tasks.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #195 on: December 18, 2016, 12:57:30 PM

I think the 710 is a more current version similar to our Yoga 2 Pro. For portability I think those 13/13.3/14 are perfect. Previously we had a 15.6 and being a normal laptop rather than ultrabook it was like lugging around a large concrete brick. The 11 inch models are nice, but I fear they might be too small to work on for longer periods other than minor tasks.

I mostly agree but somehow my girlfriend seemed to handle the small screen fine even for writing longer texts for her university courses. Nothing I would recommend but it meant that for her the recent dry-up of actual 11" laptops, as opposed to the more tablet like deals (touch-screen, 64 GB or less storage) that seem to be what's offered, was about to make her carry solutions obsolete.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #196 on: December 18, 2016, 11:36:43 PM
I used to take my 15.6" machine everywhere and I never really had a problem with it, largely because I didn't know any different.  :P

Now, using this 13" machine I can really appreciate having a smaller and lighter machine.  I had carried 10" netbooks for a while, but they ended up being too small.  The 13" screen is a little cramped from time to time, but then I also felt the same about the 15" screen too.

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #197 on: December 19, 2016, 12:30:09 PM
It's easy to see how netbooks got crushed by tablets.

After a run through the local electronics superstore yesterday (omg sunday shopping, must be close to christmas!) There seem to be a smurf ton of keyboard options for tablets now if you ever did need one regularly vs onscreen typing.

I know I seem to love all things Lenovo, but the new Lenovo Book is exactly what I had hoped for for quite some time. Sadly it's only 10.1 atm. http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/lenovo/yoga-book/

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #198 on: December 19, 2016, 07:28:54 PM
That's a nice looking machine.

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #199 on: December 20, 2016, 01:00:30 PM
yeah there's an android and windows version too...

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #200 on: December 21, 2016, 06:09:02 AM

Generally speaking Acer is crap, you can feel why it's the cheapest out there. My new desktop is Acer and initially dies randomly within a few hours of turning on, turns out the BIOS has a bug that would make hard drive stop responding. How the F could you let such an obvious problem slip by QA? There's also video on youtube that shows their laptop came without heatsink installed.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #201 on: December 21, 2016, 06:19:02 AM

Generally speaking Acer is crap, you can feel why it's the cheapest out there. My new desktop is Acer and initially dies randomly within a few hours of turning on, turns out the BIOS has a bug that would make hard drive stop responding. How the F could you let such an obvious problem slip by QA? There's also video on youtube that shows their laptop came without heatsink installed.

I appreciate the feedback. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #202 on: December 22, 2016, 03:18:15 AM
I've had two Acer netbooks and never had an issue with them.

Well, until the first one died, but that was due to age more than anything else.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #203 on: December 25, 2016, 04:49:09 AM
To be clear I'm not saying not to buy Acer, since I'm typing this from an Acer right now (with its included awful keyboard), but you need to be prepared to deal with crap that you probably wouldn't have with other brands.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #204 on: December 25, 2016, 02:52:07 PM
If you say so Jie.

But I warn you, that little bit of backpedaling isn't going to fool the Acer hit squad that has been dispatched to discuss your disturbing lack of faith in their products.....

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #205 on: December 25, 2016, 06:06:15 PM
If you say so Jie.

But I warn you, that little bit of backpedaling isn't going to fool the Acer hit squad that has been dispatched to discuss your disturbing lack of faith in their products.....

Def

Hey, at least they can tell my why they include dinky laptop sized keyboard and dollar store grade mouse with a full size i7 desktop.  :facepalm:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #206 on: December 25, 2016, 06:20:44 PM
I don't know about Acer laptops but I do know that my 2 Acer G-Sync monitors are freaking amazing  :salute:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #207 on: December 26, 2016, 05:29:28 PM
If you say so Jie.

Def

Hey, at least they can tell my why they include dinky laptop sized keyboard and dollar store grade mouse with a full size i7 desktop.  :facepalm:

#valueadded.

:facepalm:

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #208 on: December 31, 2016, 07:40:54 PM
my niece is in the market for a new laptop so I've been looking at ultrabooks on her behalf. It's pretty hard to fit her requirements (she does a lot of autocad work and wants discrete graphics) but there sure are some nice looking machines these days!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #209 on: December 31, 2016, 08:09:36 PM
There are a lot of nice machines- unfortunately they also seem to come with hefty price tags!   :ahhh

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%