Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Time for a new laptop. Maybe...

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Re: Time for a new laptop. Maybe...
Reply #90 on: May 04, 2016, 01:19:31 PM
I just got another business machine, a Dell Latitude with Windows 10 Pro.

I never get civilian laptops. Get a business machine; Better made and no bloatware.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 01:22:31 PM by shamus »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #91 on: May 04, 2016, 11:57:25 PM
My previous laptop was a Dell Vostro 1000 and it was a business machine.  I agree- there was no bloat on it at all.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #92 on: May 05, 2016, 12:54:29 AM
The ones you get from MS store has no bloat, except the ones that comes with windows.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #93 on: May 05, 2016, 07:17:14 PM
Nice one!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #94 on: October 23, 2016, 10:16:40 PM
It's that time boys and girls.  My laptop had an unfortunate incident earlier today and surprisingly is nonfunctional after my fist went through the keyboard.

It actually functions well enough, but there's no keyboard and the monitor is having issues, so I figure by the time I get a new keyboard, get a new screen and replace the hard drive I have been wanting to replace with an SSD.... well... I might as well have just bought a new machine.  So that's what I'm going to do is buy a new machine.

I'm hoping to keep it under $500 mostly because I really don't even have that much to spend, but I really can't be without a computer for any length of time.

Any other info not already posted in this thread that I should keep in mind when looking for a new machine?

Def

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #95 on: October 23, 2016, 11:07:22 PM
You're not supposed to practice your ninja skills while near anything delicate. :pok:

Keep an eye on the flyers, and you'll be able to grab something decent for under $500.

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #96 on: October 23, 2016, 11:14:20 PM
Don't believe all that sensational news about IBM finally converting to apple products because they're sooooo much cheaper on the long run.
First check, why IBM would announce something like that.
Brave new world.
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #97 on: October 24, 2016, 12:17:51 AM
WI hasn't even heard that so I doubt I'll believe it.  :P

Def

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #98 on: October 24, 2016, 12:50:35 AM
Keep an eye on the flyers, and you'll be able to grab something decent for under $500.

Is there a Canadian equivalent of Fat Wallet or Slickdeals? That's how I always find the best laptop deals.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #99 on: October 24, 2016, 12:51:37 AM
If there is, I've never heard of them.

Def

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #100 on: October 24, 2016, 04:27:55 AM
Do you have a Costco nearby? I love their 90-day return policy for electronic stuffs. Not to mention the holiday season is approaching, so more sale and enough time for you to swap machines if you don't like.

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #101 on: October 24, 2016, 09:19:53 AM
It's that time boys and girls.  My laptop had an unfortunate incident earlier today and surprisingly is nonfunctional after my fist went through the keyboard.

It actually functions well enough, but there's no keyboard and the monitor is having issues, so I figure by the time I get a new keyboard, get a new screen and replace the hard drive I have been wanting to replace with an SSD.... well... I might as well have just bought a new machine.  So that's what I'm going to do is buy a new machine.

I'm hoping to keep it under $500 mostly because I really don't even have that much to spend, but I really can't be without a computer for any length of time.

Any other info not already posted in this thread that I should keep in mind when looking for a new machine?

Def

i wonder how much second hand toughbooks are  :think: i had one at my old job and and an engineer ran his over in his van and it was fine
I

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #102 on: October 24, 2016, 10:04:37 AM
make sure the its colour matches the colour of your eyes 
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #103 on: October 24, 2016, 01:04:03 PM
Do you have a Costco nearby? I love their 90-day return policy for electronic stuffs. Not to mention the holiday season is approaching, so more sale and enough time for you to swap machines if you don't like.

There are three of them within a 15 minute drive of my house.  I have been thinking of checking them out and seeing what they have.  Anything I get I will keep, even i it isn't the right thing.  I only return things if they are broken.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #104 on: October 24, 2016, 01:11:16 PM

Def

i wonder how much second hand toughbooks are  :think: i had one at my old job and and an engineer ran his over in his van and it was fine

I love the idea of a Tough Book, but they aren't cheap, even second hand.  I can destroy a lot of regular laptops before I come close to the price of a Tough Book.

Laptops are actually a decent investment for me.  I usually get at least 5 years out of them.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #105 on: October 24, 2016, 01:15:15 PM
make sure the its colour matches the colour of your eyes

Funny you should mention that- color is a bit of a thing for me.  Usually with most things I don't really care, but I can't type properly.  I hunt and peck as fast as most people type, but I do it while looking at the keyboard.  If it's dark and the keyboard/body of the computer is also black then I have a problem typing.  I actually have a gooseneck LED light somewhere that I had bought for my old Dell for just that reason.

So, while it may not need to match my eyes, the keyboard needs to be silver or white or backlit.

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #106 on: October 24, 2016, 01:32:14 PM
I'm also hunt and peck for the most part, but I don't need to look at the keys as much these days.

That being said I can't imagine life without a backlit keyboard. I love my g15 on my desktop, and my lenovo laptop also has backlighting.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #107 on: October 24, 2016, 01:52:14 PM
I think I am going to try and use my HP Split for a bit and maybe pick up a laptop closer to Christmas or after when everything is on sale.

Assuming this poor little machine is up to the task.  It is remarkably underpowered.  :ahhh

Def

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #108 on: October 24, 2016, 04:03:02 PM
But it was cheap, right?...
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #109 on: October 25, 2016, 01:11:45 AM
It was indeed. It didn't cost me a thing.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #110 on: October 25, 2016, 10:08:28 PM
If there is, I've never heard of them.

Def

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/hot-deals-f9/?c=5120

Don't think now is a good time to buy though, sorta between the back to school and black Friday/Christmas sale season.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #111 on: October 25, 2016, 10:26:58 PM
Grant, since you are looking at a completly new Laptop here is my suggestion:

Whatever you do, don't buy a laptop with an SSD preinstalled. There is a massive markup on laptops with fairly unimpressivly sized SSDs. My suggestion is to find a laptop with a large HDD (1TB is pretty standard nowadays, and cheap), and a removable (by disassembling the laptop) Optical drive. Replace the Optical Drive with a Hard Drive Caddy and SSD, and install Windows to the SSD using a USB installation media (use the copy of Windows your computer comes with to create the installation media. This gives you a fresh install, without the extra bloat that most laptops come with). You might have to play with the boot order to format the HDD without completely removing it. But with both the SSD (for your OS, and important programs), and the HDD (for general file storage), you get the best of both worlds.

I realize now that i've written this that it's probably more involved than you might want.... I promise it isn't as hard as it seems. I'll even send you some links to some how-to's if you are interested.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #112 on: October 26, 2016, 04:15:50 PM
That does seem a bit involved, but I could probably manage it.  I noticed that many of the laptops I was looking at with SSD's had remarkably small ones.

I have to say though, this teeny laptop-ette that I have been using is somewhat more functional than I had originally expected.

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #113 on: October 26, 2016, 04:49:09 PM
just a guess but there's likely to be more hybrid drives now? (part SSD and part traditional platter for storage)

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #114 on: October 27, 2016, 06:00:46 PM
just a guess but there's likely to be more hybrid drives now? (part SSD and part traditional platter for storage)
The problem with those is that he SSD part of the drive tends to be very small, and the drives are still very expensive
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

ca Offline JP

Reply #115 on: October 27, 2016, 07:29:54 PM
Go Furbie, ReFurbie

www.dellrefurbished.ca

ca Offline JP

Reply #116 on: October 27, 2016, 07:36:32 PM
Go Furbie, ReFurbie

www.dellrefurbished.ca

And maybe put it in a hamsters cage so you can still type but the cage roof prevents HammerFist to Keyboard

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #117 on: October 27, 2016, 08:29:12 PM
Go Furbie, ReFurbie

www.dellrefurbished.ca

I've looked at those since I need a new desktop, they all come with win7 which already lost mainstream support and will lose all in 4 years, at which time other software makers will abandon it as well. Might have worked when there was free update to win10, but not a good deal now (price wasn't that good for used electronics to begin with).

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #118 on: October 31, 2016, 03:18:22 PM
The problem with those is that he SSD part of the drive tends to be very small, and the drives are still very expensive

I also heard that it could be problematic if/when it crashes. Supposedly since the way it allocates stuff to either the SSD or the HDD parts makes it much harder to extract info if that becomes necessary.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #119 on: November 01, 2016, 12:47:34 PM
everything fails... that's why backups are important.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%